PDA

View Full Version : Laos 1968 video: - Take a ride in a Huey

roger-wilco-66
March 10th, 2018, 21:52
I've been experimenting with a video software called "Davinci Resolve" and made my first "real" video in the process.

Take a ride in an Air America Huey that takes off at LS-22 (Lima-Lima) Xieng Kouang, passes over the Plain de Jars, and follows a (historically correct" dirt track through the jungle to LS-20 Sam Thong, and then proceeds to the famous LS-20a Long Tieng airfield to land there.

Have fun (sorry, it's a bit long) !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNwe2Xe9Ag&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,
Mark

(the video is in HD. I watched it on my 55" TV and it looks great on it!)

vora
March 11th, 2018, 01:27
Fantastic video! Very moody.
Lacks a little bit of "Gimme Shelter or "California Dreaming". :tongue-new:
LS20a looks awesome. I hope you release it soon. Those Lima sites on the video are more than worth a release.
That corrugated steel runway at the beginning of the video looks terrific. Also, the huts are super nice.

PS.: SceneryTech, eh? That chopper flying through a dense coniferous forest by the tunes of "Run through the Jungle" lets me put my hopes on OpenLC Asia next year...

roger-wilco-66
March 11th, 2018, 01:34
Thanks!

I'm working on an extended audio track with some more songs, AFVN jingles and some radio transmission stuff.

I also have another video with Piglets Loach in the making, which is a awesome little helo still after all these years gone by!

Re the landclass, I also think it does not match, but it's better than default. I got hold of a complete Olson dataset for SEA from NOAA, but have not found a way to resample it for the sim yet.

Cheers,
Mark

vora
March 11th, 2018, 03:30
The only one who had got SEA right in my opinion was Ruud Faber with his FScene4X Asia - rice paddies and fields in the lowlands, jungle canopy in the highlands. I'd still use that if it wasn't so damn low-res. I bet you also used it in FS9.

Stinger
March 11th, 2018, 07:09
WOW, Does this sure bring back memoirs... having flown into LS20A back in the early 1970's many times and working with the AA boys, this was a fantastic video and how you cut in the music is great Can't wait for the finished product
The FSX@war Southeast Asia Campaign has Long Tieng build into it but i think it needs to be upgraded to v4.2 I don't think that has happened yet
And is there a link for the repaint? would love to have it

Thanks for the memoirs... although i'd like to forget the part where the dinks were always shooting at us

jmig
March 11th, 2018, 08:10
My flying in Thailand was all done out of Utaphao in the south and at 30K plus. I did hop a Klong Hopper (C-130s which flew cargo in-country) to visit a buddy at Udon. So, this video does bring memories.

I did fly in a Huey once while in SEA. I don't remember where and why. I do remember however, that I was sitting on the left side and while looking out, I realized that the tops of a lot of the trees were higher than we where. I thought, If this engine quits, we are dead. Not a good feeling for someone who enjoyed the security of an ejection seat while flying.

roger-wilco-66
March 11th, 2018, 09:24
Great you like it! Expecially those who where in SEA and feel some "echos".
I'll make a second version which is a bit shorter, with continous music (thanks for the suggestions) and some radio transmission in between, so it does not become boring. I hope my swabian (german) accent won't make your ears bleed, but the static noise might hide it. If not, I sound a bit like Schultz - but god forbid, I don't look like him - from Hogan's Heros :-)

Regarding the VN war project: many airfields are missing the taxiways in 4.2, and there might be some elevation errors if you use FreemeshX.

@ Vora: I've never seen Ruud Fabers Landclass work, but I hope I can manage to translate the USGS GEOTIFFS to FSX/P3D Olson Landclass figures. The landclass in the TIFF files is coded in geo referenced gray scale squares that resemble the specific land class. If I find a way to translate that into a compilable XML script it would be, well not easy, but do-able to alter the landscape in a historically correct way by altering the RGB tones of the source files , since SEA was not as populated back then as it is now.

Cheers,
Mark

roger-wilco-66
March 12th, 2018, 12:40
Hi,

I made some changes and released it again:

- continous music throughout the video
- shortened a few of the scenes

- I tried to match the cuts and the scenes to the music (hope it worked)

I changed the link in the opening post!

Enjoy,
Mark

jmfabio
March 24th, 2018, 07:41
Great video Mark!!

I loved the sound track.

Never was in SEA but flew in Hueys in States and SWA in Desert Storm while a medic.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

roger-wilco-66
March 24th, 2018, 12:40
Thanks, Joe. The Huey is a blast to fly and really iconic to me.

I don't know if I can keep the video up in it's current state, as some vultures keep pelting me with copyright claims despite my offer that they can monetize it from the clicks it receives (which won't make them rich).

So as long as it's up -enjoy :-)

I might upload the AA repaint on one of these days! Had some ideas for changes which I want to go after first.

Cheers,
Mark