PDA

View Full Version : SSW Harrier

gary20
March 9th, 2018, 10:24
Does anyone know of any step by step guides to using the weapons in the SSW Harrier or perhaps any online videos showing how?
I've read through the manuals repeatedly and I know it's all installed and set up correctly, but I'm missing a step or something in using it's weapons.
It's an awesome model and I'm not understanding or missing something.
Any help gratefully appreciated.

Gary

scotth6
March 9th, 2018, 18:13
Best place to check would be Youtube; just google "youtube ssw harrier". There are a number of videos for other SSW jets, so there should be for the Harrier.

I assume you have vACMI installed? Or TacPack? Some of their weapons will only work with vACMI installed, so I suggest installing that.

Cheers,

gary20
March 9th, 2018, 18:22
Best place to check would be Youtube; just google "youtube ssw harrier". There are a number of videos for other SSW jets, so there should be for the Harrier.

I assume you have vACMI installed? Or TacPack? Some of their weapons will only work with vACMI installed, so I suggest installing that.

Cheers,

Thanks Scotth6

I've searched youtube etc ... nothing that takes you through it. Was hoping someone could point the way.

There were a few for the DCS Razbam Harrier vids that went into detail that I was able to watch and get an idea. I'll try what I've learned from those and see if I can achieve success.

vACMI is installed as per their install instruction.

I think this is the best Harrier available and I think the only one available for P3Dv4.2 so I'm hoping I can get through the learning curve.
Even the best Harrier pilot in the world would have to have been shown once ....
Appreciate your feedback

Gary

docjohnson
March 9th, 2018, 20:54
Best advice is open up the cockpit image in the docs folder (inside ...\SimObjects\Airplanes\SSW-AV8B-HARRIER-IIB\docs) and read the hints document first followed by each section of the flight manual in the same directory. You won't understand the flight manual without the cockpit layout next to it. My first few times flying that AV-8B I had all of that open on another monitor.

gary20
March 10th, 2018, 08:50
Best advice is open up the cockpit image in the docs folder (inside ...\SimObjects\Airplanes\SSW-AV8B-HARRIER-IIB\docs) and read the hints document first followed by each section of the flight manual in the same directory. You won't understand the flight manual without the cockpit layout next to it. My first few times flying that AV-8B I had all of that open on another monitor.

Thanks Jim
I'll certainly give that a try.

Gary

vvince
March 11th, 2018, 09:32
Hello,

this might not perfectly answer your question, but have you checked the Chuck's guides?
There is one for the Harrier module of DCS.
They are graphic based step by step guides, straight to the point, including the switchology for weapon employment.
Since the DCS Harrier is not complete yet, the guide is incomplete as well, but already includes CCIP and CCRP unguided bombs, laser GBU, anti-radar missile, AGM-65D, AA missiles, gun...

Here is the link
http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-av-8b-harrier-ii/

and his others guides : http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides/

I do not have the SSW Harrier, but if both sims have a comparable depth level, it might help. I hope it does.

By the way, has anybody both addons (DCS and SSW)? How do they compare in terms of flight model and systems depth?

Cheers
Vvince

gary20
March 11th, 2018, 17:37
Hello,

this might not perfectly answer your question, but have you checked the Chuck's guides?
There is one for the Harrier module of DCS.
They are graphic based step by step guides, straight to the point, including the switchology for weapon employment.
Since the DCS Harrier is not complete yet, the guide is incomplete as well, but already includes CCIP and CCRP unguided bombs, laser GBU, anti-radar missile, AGM-65D, AA missiles, gun...

Here is the link
http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-av-8b-harrier-ii/

and his others guides : http://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides/

I do not have the SSW Harrier, but if both sims have a comparable depth level, it might help. I hope it does.

By the way, has anybody both addons (DCS and SSW)? How do they compare in terms of flight model and systems depth?

Cheers
Vvince

These guides are awesome Vvince, thank you.
I've downloaded it and will study it. I'm sure they are going to be comparable.
I was pretty close to removing the SSW Harrier, but I'll keep at it.

I did install DCS for a look see, but the price on the Razbam Harrier for DCS was $90.
I thought the SSW Harrier was a wee bit pricey, but there's just no way I'll pay $90 for an addon ....

Thanks again

Gary

scotth6
March 12th, 2018, 06:11
Hi Gary,

I actually just started flying the SSW Harrier too, but haven't had a great deal of time since installing it the other day. Here are a couple of things to take note of though:

- Have a read of the "SSW-av8bb-nfm-601.pdf" document in the Harrier folder as it outlines what to do with weapons.

- Make sure you have set the pickle button on your controller. You must set it to “CENTER LANDING LIGHT” (it may be LANDING LIGHT CENTER).

- Make sure you have set the weapons engine to vACMI in the "sswav8b.ini" file in the Harrier folder. It is set to TacPack by default, and release type weapons will only work with vACMI.

- Choose a different model. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are, but there are different models to choose: Clean, Attack, Advanced, Ferry.

- Load your weapons with the loadout table before startup and confirm they have been loaded.

The document I mentioned up the top lists a pretty much step by step procedure for releasing weapons. Give all these steps a go, and I will to, and hopefully we will both be up and running.

BTW, I don't have the DCS World Harrier, but I do have a number of other modules, and I have no doubt the DCS Harrier would be 99% functional compared to the real jet, and much more realistic than the SSW Harrier. SSW have done an incredible job too, but it pretty much comes down to different sim engines and the limitations of FSX and P3D. $90 is pretty expensive though. I didn't think any module was that much. I have bought most of my modules during sales (sometimes 50 -70% off). Give DCS a go anyway, even if it's just with the free jets, as it's an excellent simulator.

Cheers,

gary20
March 12th, 2018, 09:09
Thanks again scotth6
I have already printed the above PDF for reference as I don't have dual monitors for Jim's suggestion above.
vACMi is set in the ini. I did try Tacpack, but it was the same learning curve so I reverted back to vACMi.
I am making progress and did successfully launch some Aim9's and the gun against drones. Still working through ground weapons.

The STEAM price for the night attack DCS Harrier was at $90, but I'm sure it could be found elsewhere cheaper.

Gary

scotth6
March 13th, 2018, 05:24
Hi Gary,

Cool. You have got further than I have. I haven't had a chance to fly the Harrier again since Sunday.

Re DCS World, I see the Harrier is $90 CAD on the ED site too. They do have sales pretty regularly, so keep checking if you are interested in it. You can download DCS World directly from the website too, and as a side note the two versions are not compatible, although they are basically the same. If you have the Steam version, you can't use modules purchased from Eagle Dynamics (DCS World developer) and vice versa. I would probably suggest using the original version over the Steam version. Available here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/index.php

They have a very active forum too.

Back to the SSW Harrier, hopefully you stick at it. The SSW jets are some of the best military jets available for FSX/P3D. Hopefully I can make some time tomorrow to try the Harrier out again too.

Cheers,

Scott

vvince
March 13th, 2018, 10:06
Hi,

the DCS Harrier just got released in early access (kind of alpha version) about three months ago and is still far from being complete, so do not expect a sale any time soon, at least a year from now I would say.
I am interested to know more about the SSW flight model...
How are the VSTOL capabilities modeled, the transition from normal flight to vertical thrust? Do you have to manage the engine, monitor the water tank, pay attention to weight limitation etc...?
I have the DCS module (bought a bit cheaper, in pre-release) and the vertical landing is definitely a big part of the fun with this aircraft, so I am curious to know if the SSW version is as good on this aspect.

Cheers

Vvince

gary20
March 13th, 2018, 15:07
Hi,

the DCS Harrier just got released in early access (kind of alpha version) about three months ago and is still far from being complete, so do not expect a sale any time soon, at least a year from now I would say.
I am interested to know more about the SSW flight model...
How are the VSTOL capabilities modeled, the transition from normal flight to vertical thrust? Do you have to manage the engine, monitor the water tank, pay attention to weight limitation etc...?
I have the DCS module (bought a bit cheaper, in pre-release) and the vertical landing is definitely a big part of the fun with this aircraft, so I am curious to know if the SSW version is as good on this aspect.

Cheers

Vvince

The SSW flight model including hover and transitions appear realistic to me Vvince, but I'm no professional pilot. I'm certainly happy with it.

I posted to get help with the weapons system for the SSW model and don't know how this came to be about the Razbam DCS model.
I have no interest in the DCS model at what I consider to be a ridiculous price. I wont be buying it.

Cheers

Gary