PDA

View Full Version : P-40Q Warhawk by bub released!

bub
March 2nd, 2018, 18:32
Hi All,
Packaging this up and hope to have it out for general consumption soon.
Thanks,
Bob

msfossey
March 2nd, 2018, 22:32
Looking forward to this one Bub, thanks.

msfossey

Worthless
March 3rd, 2018, 03:19
Very nice. A new one on me. Had to go read up on it.

Ravenna
March 3rd, 2018, 12:27
Looking very sharp Bob. Very much looking forward to it.

bub
March 4th, 2018, 13:40
Hi All,
Playing with bare metal textures. Still needs some work.
Bob

bub
March 5th, 2018, 08:34
Hi All,

It's starting to look like something. A note about this model.

The B24 Guy did a lot of work on this for me. Without his expertise we wouldn't have a painted spinner, inside front air scoop, underside horizontal stabilizer and by removing the existing pilot, were able to add a better one. In this case, I used Uncle tgt's modification of Wolfi's pilot. And, a shout out to Allen, for taking a look at this and referring me to The B24 Guy for these modifications. Without their assistance, none of this would be possible.

Thank you, and I hope I can do the work already done justice.

Bob

msfossey
March 5th, 2018, 10:07
Looking good, great team effort. Thanks to all involved with this.

msfossey

Rami
March 5th, 2018, 10:25
Bub,

Very nice, many thanks to all involved! :very_drunk:

bub
March 6th, 2018, 21:49
Hi All,
A little more work done. Not much more to do. Taking a couple of days off to sit out the impending storm.
Thanks,
Bob

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
March 13th, 2018, 09:53
May I ask when this will be uploaded, bub?

bub
March 13th, 2018, 13:26
Hi All,
I have a little more "touch up" to do on the bare metal texture and put it together as a package. Hopefully, before the week is out.
Thanks,
Bob

bub
March 15th, 2018, 14:43
Hi All,
The bare metal one is done and a little touch up on the OD version needs to be finished. Hopefully, time permitting, I'll have it uploaded this weekend. A sneak peek as to what it could have looked like.
Thanks,
Bob

bub
March 21st, 2018, 16:33
Hi All,
The OD texture is done. Got a little sidetracked. Just have to package it up and get it uploaded.
Thanks,
Bob

Worthless
March 22nd, 2018, 04:45
Lovely work. Whose pilot is that?

bub
March 22nd, 2018, 08:56
Hi All,
Just uploaded the"Q". Make sure you read the ReadMe, there's lots of info in there. I used Uncle Tgt's version of Wolfi's US Pilot. It can be found here at SOH.
Thanks to Allen and The B24 Guy for their fantastic help in making this aircraft possible. And, Kelti for his props. This is a modified version of Tim "Piglet" Conrad's original "Q" model. There are a Bare Metal texture and a OD one included.
Thanks and have fun,
Bob

mikezola
March 22nd, 2018, 10:22
Hello-
This definitely looks like a nice piece of work... I am looking forward to this release as much as anybody else...

-Mike Z.

bub
March 22nd, 2018, 13:33
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/258515217373658747.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Hi All,

Here's the "Q". Many thanks to Allen, The B24 Guy and Kelticheart for making this possible. Make sure you read The ReadMe. There's lots of good info in there.

Thanks and have fun,

Bob

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit P-40Q-2-CU_Warhawk.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=23488&catid=52)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Ravenna
March 22nd, 2018, 14:36
Great interest here. Love the paint. Thanks Bob.:applause::applause:

msfossey
March 22nd, 2018, 14:55
Thank you Bub for bringing this to CFS2; and thanks to Piglet for the original AC. Should be a lot of fun.

msfossey

stuart277
March 22nd, 2018, 15:00
Hi Bub,

Very interesting work.

Great job by all. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thanks,

Stuart

Pops
March 23rd, 2018, 20:36
Bub,

I was looking forward to this one. Great job to you and your team. You exceeded my expectations on this one.

I remember when Piglet released the orginal version (years ago) and for some reason I didn't hang on to it. I won't make that mistake with this version.

Thanks for the wonderful work.

Rami
March 24th, 2018, 03:45
Bub,

Many thanks for all of your work on this! :applouse:

Jenova
March 24th, 2018, 11:59
Thank you, a lovely job.

swagler
March 30th, 2018, 19:10
bub- Thanks, nice P-40.
I installed Wolfi's US Pilot & Gunner. At free flight, still get about 5 warnings, i.e. weapons... Haven't started engine/flew cause wait cursor remains in busy state, getting forward view corruption after pan sides. Guess I need something else configured.

swagler
March 31st, 2018, 10:39
Hello, anyone here?

Can't find the model

wep_pylonl_p51tank
wep_us_110gal_tank
wep_pylonr_p51tank
wep_db_p47_75gal_drop_9P
wep_db_us_500lb_9P_a
wep_db_us_rocket_pylon_c
wep_db_us_5_rocket_army_wired

in the library.

Could anyone help me find the weapons pack for the P40Q Warhawk?

Rami
March 31st, 2018, 11:17
Hey Swagler,

Looks like you're missing some of Dbolt's weapons, and the VB tanks.

You'll need to install these: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=6270

And these: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=6313

And lastly, the VB drop tanks and pylons: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=20807

Once you get those installed, make sure your tray tables are secure and your seats are in the upright position, and enjoy your flight! :wavey:

swagler
March 31st, 2018, 11:36
Thank you Rami.

bub
April 2nd, 2018, 06:57
Sorry guys. I forgot to put a note in the ReadMe as to where the weapons and tanks could be found. In my haste to get it uploaded I missed it. Thanks Rami, for pointing that out and where they can be found.
Bob

swagler
April 2nd, 2018, 07:18
bub- The P-40Q is really nice. But I'm still having a problem with wait cursor remaining busy when start to fly. If I load a default spinner, before starting engine, swap it out for P-40Q, I can trick it. Any suggestions?

bub
April 2nd, 2018, 08:18
I'm at a loss as to the problem. Maybe you can post a couple of screenshots so I can get a better handle on it. Everything seems to be working fine on my end.
Bob

swagler
April 2nd, 2018, 08:54
bub- I installed all the weapons, tanks... all load properly. Since I installed CFS2 on Win7 x64, when begin to fly, screen is black, needing to run in windowed mode to have access to menu/view/.../cockpit, to initialize. I have not found solution, i.e. config setting... My P-40Q issue may be linked with my video initialization problem. Screenshot would only show wait cursor twirling, of coarse simulator doesn't work correctly in this state. I need to fix CFS2 needing cockpit view initialized first, then narrow down P-40Q issue.

bub
April 2nd, 2018, 09:14
I'm still at a complete loss to your problem. All I can tell you is, I went from XP to Windows 10. I followed the hints in the Windows 10 problem thread and all worked fine. Try reinstalling using these hints. It may be the same for Windows 7. Other than that, maybe on of the guru's here can pinpoint a solution. I can't duplicate what you're describing to "back engineer" it. Sorry I'm not helping you on this one.
Bob

UncleTgt
April 2nd, 2018, 13:35
Pretty sure this is because the 2D panel isn't compatible with the newer O/S. They just don't like those half-size panel dimensions.

1024 x 768 bitmaps give you the "waiting spinning circle" cursor. You can continue to fly, just no 2D panel showing, which can be a bugger! You have to go to top left of your window to access the Flights menu & quit the sim.

Resizing the 2D bitmap to 800 x 600, or a multiple. There might need to be changes to the panel.cfg too, depends on how it was put together.

I've got into the habit of making 2D panels for Baldy's aircraft as 1600 x 1200, which is big filesize, but these days we all have hardware that can soak it up...

swagler
April 2nd, 2018, 20:16
UncleTgt- Interesting. Yes, when trying to fly the right hand half of panel is missing. re: "You have to go to ... Flights menu & quit the sim" Yes, the top right windows close doesn't work, only CFS2 menu exit. Maybe you and bub can update this, I'm sure others will benefit if resolved.

Do you have any suggestions why when hit 'Fly Now' screen goes black until I set 'menu/view/.../cockpit' to initialize? Googling found I this is a known issue with Win7 x64, and Microsoft only lamely suggests reinstalling CFS2, didn't find any solution.

UncleTgt
April 3rd, 2018, 01:48
Swagler

I am set up on WIN 7 Home Premium. I downloaded Blue Devil's ACM 3d view PTO from SOH. In it there are a couple of files that change the loading view from 2D panel to VC view. Neatly sidesteps the non-WIN 7 compatible 2D panel failing to render issue, which is what I think you are experiencing when you say you get a black screen on loading.

Search for mods by Blue Devil here...

bub
April 3rd, 2018, 04:07
Wasn't there an issue with the panel.cfg a while back. I remember something said about, render_3d_window=1 , having to change the 1 to a 0, in the .cfg file. It might be something as simple as that. Grasping at straws here.
Bob

swagler
April 3rd, 2018, 07:13
I tried changing all 4 instances of, render_3d_window=1 to =0, in default_panels.cfg, didn't help.

re: P-40Q right half of panel missing. I haven't been able to reproduce it, nor prevent wait cursor by swapping in P-40Q during flight again. More correctly, the gauges in the bottom right quadrant were missing.

I can't find any reference of: Blue Devil's ACM 3d view PTO. Are you referring to Aircraft Container Manager? I have that. What is PTO?

bub
April 3rd, 2018, 09:57
Do you have all the gauges installed? (just asking) As I said, I went from XP to Windows 10, so I missed all the Windows 7,8, etc. possible problems. I'm sure you checked and double checked everything. I'm still at a loss as to why you're having these maladies. I'm working on an updated panel and hope to have it uploaded soon. I'll make sure it has everything needed to make it work properly. I would try a fresh install in the C:drive. Name it whatever you like and try it. If it works fine, add one thing at a time and make sure it works. If you start having problems, you've found the culprit. It could be something as simple as something not "named" properly. Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution to help you. As I said, I'm grasping at straws.
Sorry I can't be more helpful,
Bob

Ivan
April 3rd, 2018, 10:40
Hello Bub,

Really nice looking P-40Q.
Have you considered a much less "official" paint scheme such as the one raced by Skip Ziegler?

- Ivan.

UncleTgt
April 3rd, 2018, 12:15
I tried changing all 4 instances of, render_3d_window=1 to =0, in default_panels.cfg, didn't help.

re: P-40Q right half of panel missing. I haven't been able to reproduce it, nor prevent wait cursor by swapping in P-40Q during flight again. More correctly, the gauges in the bottom right quadrant were missing.

I can't find any reference of: Blue Devil's ACM 3d view PTO. Are you referring to Aircraft Container Manager? I have that. What is PTO?

Only one left in the Library I could find is:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=11078

"ACM 3Dc Features:

It sets the view defaults to 3D cockpit/ 0.64 zoom, …for both air and ground starts. If you get out of 0.64 zoom, …get back by left bracket “[“ all the way out, …then one right bracket “]” back in for 0.64 zoom."

I'll set about uploading the original "acm_3dc_pto.zip" from 2008

swagler
April 3rd, 2018, 14:53
bub- CFS2 is clean install. Your P-40Q and weapons/tank pack are only additions.

UncleTgt- thanks, It'll take me a while to configure that gunsight... My view mode is grayed-out until new view window item is selected.

In general- It make no difference whether I use compatibility mode; Win 2000, XP SP1-SP3, run as administrator... Everything works fine without compatibility mode. I can switch to classic theme to run fullscreen without conflicting with Aero theme. Only issue is Fly Now not initializing default view mode.

The B24 Guy
April 3rd, 2018, 15:10
Hi All,

I just downloaded Bubs P-40Q and installed it. I had not DL it before because I sort of had a copy, but not the official release.
Took it for a flight with no problems. I did already have the weapons and tanks so no problems there.

My system is Win 7 pro. I have not had any real problems.
Just the 600x800 windows and I have to use the "Windows Key" to min CFS2 or I return to the black screen.
CFS2 is installed in C:/CombatFS/Combat Flight Simulator 2.
I did not use the disks for install. I have always had a "clean" install on a portable HD to make new copy's .

Regards,
B24Guy

P. S. I am still working on that other matter Bub.

swagler
April 3rd, 2018, 18:40
B24Guy- I'm on Win7 Ult x64 and am able to minimize/restore from caption buttons or taskbar. Strange how different systems with same OS encounter different issues.
What do you mean by: "Just the 600x800 windows" ?

The B24 Guy
April 4th, 2018, 06:59
Hi Swagler,

For some unknown reason win7 does not like 1024 x 768 bitmaps in the panels. This causes lock-up with many AC.

Resizing to 800 x 600 fixed the problem for me.

Allen has fixed this issue with many AC.

I think the different video cards may have something to do with the different experiences running CFS2.

Regards,
B24Guy

bub
April 4th, 2018, 08:18
Hi All,
Here's a modified panel. I put the original windscreen back in and using CFG edit, was able to tighten up the gauges and trim off some of the panel to look more like the "real" panel. It still needs a little "tweaking". I'll upload it with a set of gauges and a 800 x 600 bmp for the Win. 7 users.
A little something for Ivan. I took the texture done by Michael Pook for a FS 2004 model and modified it to suit. All I did was to soften up the colors a bit. It's the NX 300 B Racer. It still has the .50's and bomb/tank rack. Something to deal with the competition.
Thanks B24 Guy, for keeping at those mods. Take your time the F-3 isn't going anywhere.
Sorry for not being around. I went away for the weekend and then back working nights, sleeping the day away.
Bob

swagler
April 4th, 2018, 10:36
I wondered if I was missing gauges, so installed some old aircraft I had: P-51D Mustang D-Day - Thorson/Roger Dial/Mike Hambly/Gary D.Jones and
Supermarine Spitfire MkIIa - Dan Hopgood/Mike Hambly/Barry Bromley.

Then installed a new aircraft from SOH: P-51D Mustang - DIDIER Patrick/Allen
All work perfectly. Then tried P-40Q, rear dropped 18+ inches, settled, wheels to ground looks perfect, and flew perfect. I tweaked the contact points in ACM 2.5 so settles perfect.
The P-51D's and Spitfire added many gauges, and must have fixed something. BUT! I have to load any other aircraft first, exit flight, then load P-40Q. If I initially load P-40Q, the wait cursor issue still exists.
The P-40Q never settles during wait cursor issue. Hope this reveals something.

I will try bub's new panels next.

voyager
April 4th, 2018, 10:48
I have win 7. I don't know if this would work for anyone else but I use the re-size feature in ms paint to change the panel.bmp size from 1024 X 768 to 1025 X 770. And in the panel.cfg I change the size_mm= from 1024,768 to 1025,770. If it is just 1024 I just change it to 1025. If it is any other number I leave it as is. Also any of the fixed window bmps need the same treatment if they are 1024 x 768.

voyager

bub
April 4th, 2018, 11:26
Swagler,
What did you set the contact points at? I've been meaning to fix that.

Voyager,
That may be the trick, resizing. I tried an 800 x 600 panel and it worked perfectly. Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Bob

swagler
April 4th, 2018, 12:39
voyage- Thank you. Your method worked perfect. I used my app Image Draw, copied 1024x768, created new 1025x769, pasted copy at altered 1025x769, saved as 24-bit. Issue fixed!

bub- Static Pitch: 15.4, Static CG Height: 6.4, everything else is perfect. I tweaked with wheels... to make visually correct, but would drop and explode.
Started from scratch only adjusting pitch and Height fixed.

bub
April 4th, 2018, 12:48
Swagler,
Worked perfectly.
Thank you,
Bob

voyager
April 4th, 2018, 13:26
Swagler,

Glad it worked.

voyager

Allen
April 4th, 2018, 14:32
Hi Swagler,

For some unknown reason win7 does not like 1024 x 768 bitmaps in the panels. This causes lock-up with many AC.

Resizing to 800 x 600 fixed the problem for me.

Allen has fixed this issue with many AC.

I think the different video cards may have something to do with the different experiences running CFS2.

Regards,
B24Guy

If you use a 1024x768 bitmap you have to also use 640x480 bitmap like the stock aircraft do. Removing the
render_3d_window=1 key completely also works or did back before 8 and 10. Otherwise resize the panel down to 800x600.

swagler
April 4th, 2018, 14:46
I finally fixed black screen after 'Fly Now'. The_Editor, here at SOH addressed this back in 2009: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/8193-Unable-to-start-CFS2
cfs2.CFG LOADWINDOW=0 needs changed to LOADWINDOW=1 Don't know if '0' is always default.

Now, views 1-9 are static, not whipping around as before, I'd like to know how to access both static and dynamic viewing.
Other present settings: LOADSIM=0 LOADWEATHER=0
Anyone know what changing these to '1' do?

swagler
April 4th, 2018, 15:15
If you use a 1024x768 bitmap you have to also use 640x480 bitmap like the stock aircraft do. Removing the
render_3d_window=1 key completely also works or did back before 8 and 10. Otherwise resize the panel down to 800x600.

I think 'render_3d_window=x' is in several cfg's, which files are you referring to? I tried 1280x960, and it flew, but gauges... were way out of alignment.
I feared downsizing for same reason. Strangely simply making 1025x769 works.

swagler
April 4th, 2018, 15:24
Allen- I should have checked first. I see in default_panels.cfg, and every aircraft panel.cfg. All of mine are set to 1.

Allen
April 4th, 2018, 20:46
The render_3d_window= key seem to only be a problem if your aircraft only uses 1024x768 panel bitmaps. Stock aircraft use 1024x768 and low res 640x480. default_panels.cfg doesn't use a bitmap image so it works just fine with the key in place as well.

Not sure if CFS2 can make since of things above 1024x768. Never seen a problem resizing down to 800x600 ever or seen any post of a problem from it.

Another thing is maybe using CFGedit to move the gauges on the panel that are out of place.

http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Design.htm

Ivan
April 11th, 2018, 12:12
A little something for Ivan. I took the texture done by Michael Pook for a FS 2004 model and modified it to suit. All I did was to soften up the colors a bit. It's the NX 300 B Racer. It still has the .50's and bomb/tank rack. Something to deal with the competition.
Bob

Definitely a cool looking aeroplane!
We don't mind guns as long as the Race authorities don't have a problem with it.
Those Mustangs may be faster, but P-40's maneuver better!

;-)
- Ivan.

bub
April 11th, 2018, 15:29
Ivan,
I'll send you a copy of the textures. I agree, the P-40's could maneuver better. Erik Shilling, of the Flying Tigers, wrote an article about the P-40. If I still have it, I'll post it. It was a real eye opener.
Bob