PDA

View Full Version : HTC Vive

LouP
February 24th, 2018, 05:43
My new Vive is on it's way and I can't wait to see what it's like. If anyone has suggestions or tips and tricks for setting it up in 4.2, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
LouP

roger-wilco-66
February 24th, 2018, 07:36
I can't contribute to an answer since I don't have it, but I'm eager to hear some experiences!

I had the chance to try Sony's VR system on a PS4 a few weeks ago and thought it is amazing. Almost bought a set, but sense kicked in because of flight simming.

Cheers,
Mark

LouP
February 24th, 2018, 08:06
I'll let you guys know my experience with it after I get it installed and working :redfire:

LouP

Stickshaker
February 24th, 2018, 09:23
I have the Rift and it was a mind-blowing experience. You actually sit in the plane instead of behind a monitor. Do consider the FlyInside add-on (https://flyinside-fsx.com/ (https://flyinside-fsx.com/)); it is a program that gives much better VR support than P3D itself.

sketchy
February 26th, 2018, 17:52
I have the Rift and it was a mind-blowing experience. You actually sit in the plane instead of behind a monitor. Do consider the FlyInside add-on (https://flyinside-fsx.com/ (https://flyinside-fsx.com/)); it is a program that gives much better VR support than P3D itself.

I have found the opposite, curious to hear what makes you think Flyinside (which worked so well for me on V3 with my Oculus DK2 Dev Kit), but since going to V4 it kept sitting in the "Waiting for sim" window and taking ages (if at all) to connect.

@ LouP, you will not regret it, pardon the pun but it really is a "game changer"!

Stickshaker
February 27th, 2018, 08:22
Sketchy, I have not yet installed 4.2, but in 4.1 I do not encounter the problem you have. A problem I do have is that sometimes my HOTAS warthog joystick file takes very long to load and then the buttons for FlyInside do not work.

sketchy
February 27th, 2018, 18:38
Sketchy, I have not yet installed 4.2, but in 4.1 I do not encounter the problem you have. A problem I do have is that sometimes my HOTAS warthog joystick file takes very long to load and then the buttons for FlyInside do not work.

I have yet to update to V4.2 also, When I get around to it I shall try Fly Inside again. I did find that is was really random as to when it worked or not. Either way great software and immersive experience. I cannot wait until the next generation of VR headsets come out with better screen resolution and better peripheral vision.

Happy Landings!

LouP
February 27th, 2018, 19:18
I haven't forgotten you guys. I'm still learning stuff myself before I give my honest opinions. I spent the last couple of days playing with the settings trying to minimize the screen door effect. I have made a lot improvement from where I started but am thinking this is just about it where I am at now. Being inside the aircraft is just mind blowing, it's a sin we have to deal with the resolution problems but no regrets so far as the benefits and rewards are outweighing any issues so far. Every aircraft I have tried is like flying it for the first time. They're all so different in vr. Some that I didn't like as much in 2d I like a lot in vr. Some that had poor vis in 2d are some of the best planes to fly for a view in vr. I imagine I'll be chasing the resolution improvements as new products come out to market because the experience is that good.
Heck I even hate crashing in vr mode, it feels like it's going to hurt bad if I do.

As I saw another reviewer elsewhere say on the subject, there is nothing I can say or show you to explain the experience, you have to try it yourself to see what it's all about.

So I have some questions that maybe someone here can help with. I have these white flashes every so often in the headset , like a strobe going off. I've read about other people having the issue and I read a cure for it but dang if I can find that article again so if anyone has info on that.... Also, I have flyinside installed but is there a way to use P3D the old way after flyinside is installed. Some Friday nights I spend on multiplayer with a beer or two or three and that is not really conducive to virtual reality so I'd like to not have to use it once in a while. Though it may not be that often anymore :-)

LouP

kdfw
February 28th, 2018, 15:59
i use the rift cv1 and agree, vr experience is mindblowing.

on the rift, the little app called oculustray allows easy config of the hmd, from increasing the supersample ratio to displaying the performance insitu. there's a way to disable what oculus calls 'spacewarp' where it skips frames and appears as annoying flashes. perhaps there's something similar for the vibe that causes such visual artifacts?

have fun.