PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native

Milton Shupe
February 18th, 2018, 20:01
I have started the Lockheed Harpoon FSX native conversion and have the textures converted to use FSX materials.

Unfortunately, to get the textures to show as well as they did on FS9, I have to really skew the material settings.

If I change the materials that way, it will limit the capabilities for the kind of work done on the A-20 and B-26.

If I change the material settings to take full advantage of FSX capabilities, that would invalidate all textures created for the FS9 models.
The existing Nigel paint kit however would work fine, I think.

So, now to my question.

Is there enough interest by you to give the Harpoon the same kind of treatment the A-20 and B-26 got?

Be honest about your interest. If "No", that's fine with me and I will not take that FSX material course of action.

I do not want to go there if the interest is not peaking on the scale.

This same question can answer for the Ventura and Lodestars.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

ferondoe
February 19th, 2018, 02:27
I have started the Lockheed Harpoon FSX native conversion and have the textures converted to use FSX materials.

Unfortunately, to get the textures to show as well as they did on FS9, I have to really skew the material settings.

If I change the materials that way, it will limit the capabilities for the kind of work done on the A-20 and B-26.

If I change the material settings to take full advantage of FSX capabilities, that would invalidate all textures created for the FS9 models.
The existing Nigel paint kit however would work fine, I think.

So, now to my question.

Is there enough interest by you to give the Harpoon the same kind of treatment the A-20 and B-26 got?

Be honest about your interest. If "No", that's fine with me and I will not take that FSX material course of action.

I do not want to go there if the interest is not peaking on the scale.

This same question can answer for the Ventura and Lodestars.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

Hello Milton,
I'm interested, I will take my textures to stick with the new models Harpoon, Ventura and Lodestars.
Regards
Marty

docjohnson
February 19th, 2018, 04:21
I'm interested, if only because a native FSX aircraft will usually fly in P3D V4 without any problems (unless they are using 32bit C++ gauges of course).

Duckie
February 19th, 2018, 05:58
Milton, I'm interested in doing some repaints. However, I doubt it would be at the same level (read that quantity) I did (am doing) the B-26, mainly due to lack of resources limiting the subject pool. I'm speaking of military subjects only, specifically USN.

Steve

CaptainMal
February 19th, 2018, 06:24
Hi Milton:

I'd be interested in the full FSX treatment as well. I don't used P3Cv4 yet, but am most likely getting it, and the Lodestar is one of my favourite planes to fly. Also, the Ventura was used by the RAF, RCAF and BCATP, so I will want to do some repaints for my own use (unless Duckie does them first).

Thanks.

JD

wellis
February 19th, 2018, 06:33
I am interested as well Milton... :-)

wombat666
February 19th, 2018, 06:37
I'd certainly appreciate a full make over Milton, as I'm finding a lot of the native FSX projects work in P3D4.
However, only if you can get enough support and not overload your schedule would I say a big 'Yes'.
I've always been fond of the 'Art Deco' civil versions.
:encouragement:

Milton Shupe
February 19th, 2018, 06:43
Thanks for the responses so far.

It's not quantity I am looking for. If I change the materials for full FSX support, I would have no liveries to test the changes or to release with the package (s).

If there is interest to use the new materials setup (like the Marauder and Havoc) for FSX, then I can proceed with the conversions.

I will release a Painter's package when ready to help start the process and it can evolve from there as you have time and motivation to do so.

I am not looking for commitments here, just genuine interest. Since the conversions of these models are quite involved, I wish to assess interest before 100's of hours of investment.

The Harpoon has three models, the Ventura two models, and the Lodestar has 4 models - that's why the hours required is large.

Taco
February 19th, 2018, 06:59
Milton, I am interested also. Thanks

magoo
February 19th, 2018, 07:39
The original port-over of these models can always provide instant FSX gratification for the older paints from FS9.

To me it would be logical to key-in the advanced texture features to setup the Harpoon, Lodestar & Ventura for potential use over the next five-ten years.

These are significant reproductions of a significant aircraft lineage, provided by a significant flightsim development team. They are popular. I'm certain some of us would be willing to pony up some new paints to get the project rolling. :mixed-smiley-010:

Would the effort not be a good investment in future creative usability?

gman5250
February 19th, 2018, 10:20
I would very much like to see it Milton. :encouragement::encouragement:

jankees
February 19th, 2018, 10:32
I can't say for certain if I will do paints for them if you convert them, mainly due to a lack of time, but on the other hand I can say that I will not do paints if you do not convert them...if that makes any sense?

Milton Shupe
February 19th, 2018, 11:15
Thank you for the frank responses. It seems there is enough interest to proceed, and therefore I shall. :-)

Harpoon models first and these should take me a week or so to get a package out to you.

Jankees, of course that makes sense. My kind of logic :-)

Magoo, good points there Sir; thank you.

Wellis, greatly appreciate your interest as well with all the beautiful liveries you have done for the Lodestars.

Okay, time to get busy ...

Milton Shupe
February 20th, 2018, 20:36
Making good progress on the first model. With proper FSX material settings and bump and spec place holders in place, we actually have a decent looking FS9 texture. I am pleasantly surprised.

I have all the interior and exterior materials converted now, animations, mouse tags, etc. done and working. Still lots to do of course, and the add-ons for pilot figures, bombs, rockets, guns, glass configurations, etc. to do. I think I can have this model and its variants done by the weekend.

Just going to post a screen shot here but will close this thread and start a proper FSX Native Harpoon thread.

nigel richards
February 20th, 2018, 22:39
Helloooo Milton,

If it helps, in addition to the paintkit, I should still have all the Photoshop layered Master Folders for all or most paint versions and models. Everything is textured at 2048 x 2048, so this will obviously have a positive influence in definition quality. :-)

Milton Shupe
February 21st, 2018, 04:53
Helloooo Milton,

If it helps, in addition to the paintkit, I should still have all the Photoshop layered Master Folders for all or most paint versions and models. Everything is textured at 2048 x 2048, so this will obviously have a positive influence in definition quality. :-)

That would be very helpful, I'm sure Nigel.

What say the texture artists here?

Duckie
February 21st, 2018, 06:12
Helloooo Milton,

That would be very helpful, I'm sure Nigel.

I, for one, would absolutely love to be able to take advantage of such textures, Nigel, Milton, if not directly then certainly as reference.

Steve

Milton Shupe
February 21st, 2018, 07:07
That's great Steve. There's lots of details all around, and there is bare metal versus painted, and a "D" model along with the "C" model shown here.

gman5250
February 21st, 2018, 07:17
Helloooo Milton,

Photoshop masters would be very useful and very much appreciated sir. :very_drunk:

wellis
February 21st, 2018, 07:28
Helloooo Milton,

What ******** says. :encouragement:

magoo
February 21st, 2018, 07:30

Yes....(!!!)

Milton Shupe
February 21st, 2018, 08:40
The Harpoon C and D model paint kit is here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/98943-Lockheed-Harpoon-PV-2C-and-D-Paint-Kit

Milton Shupe
February 21st, 2018, 08:44
Got all the identified minor issues resolved now on the "C" model.

Now to get the various add-on components converted.

Should have a Painter's package out Thursday for the "C" model if all goes well.

nigel richards
February 21st, 2018, 09:09
The Harpoon C and D model paint kit is here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/98943-Lockheed-Harpoon-PV-2C-and-D-Paint-Kit

Have just gone through the paintkit files and realised that all main texture versions/colour variants are already present within the paintkit at 2048 x 2048,
hence the rather large size of the download :-)

Milton Shupe
February 21st, 2018, 09:32
Have just gone through the paintkit files and realised that all main texture versions/colour variants are already present within the paintkit at 2048 x 2048,
hence the rather large size of the download :-)

Thank you Nigel :applause:

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 06:19
Should get out the early beta and painter's release today.

I have all the basics completed for the variants of the "C" model, but still some little features left to implement.

wellis
February 22nd, 2018, 07:09
Should get out the early beta and painter's release today.

I have all the basics completed for the variants of the "C" model, but still some little features left to implement.

:applause: Yay! Already have the nose art going for PV-2 37230 "Rose's Raiders" on display at the Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola.

gaab
February 22nd, 2018, 07:24
A big thank you. I was really missing those birds, now that I am moving to P3D. :jump:

:applause:

Gérard

Duckie
February 22nd, 2018, 08:03
Milton, I've been unable to download Nigels paint kit as I get the message from SOH

Off-site downloads have been disabled.]

Is there a work around for this?

Steve

Rami
February 22nd, 2018, 08:21
Duckie,

I'm getting the same thing...time to PM Milton!

Duckie
February 22nd, 2018, 08:22
Duckie,

I'm getting the same thing...time to PM Milton!

Thanks Rami.

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 08:26
Milton, I've been unable to download Nigels paint kit as I get the message from SOH

Off-site downloads have been disabled.]

Is there a work around for this?

Steve

Steve, same here; have reported issue to Staff Admins.

EDIT: Other downloads seem to work fine, so I will re-upload the file, and report back here.

EDIT2: Upload cancelled as Filesize too large :-/ Must see if I can get an exception.

EDIT3: I see the issue now. I had originally uploaded this to the .net server due to size restrictions. I deleted that file off the .net server some time ago. Now re-uploading to the .net server. Will take an hour or so.

Duckie
February 22nd, 2018, 08:50
Steve, same here; have reported issue to Staff Admins.

EDIT: Other downloads seem to work fine, so I will re-upload the file, and report back here.

Thanks Milton. Standing by.

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 09:20
Thanks Milton. Standing by.

Back when this was first uploaded, the .zip file type upload restrictions was set at 512MB. That was changed to a much larger size and the file was uploaded here. Sometime later the old file-size/file type restrictions were re-invoked. So, I am asking that the fix gets revisited.

Meanwhile I am uploading to the .net server again hoping that the download will be allowed from the other server until this gets corrected. Should be finished in 60 minutes from my post time so I can test it.

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 10:28
Well, I uploaded to the .net server but I the message is still the same:

"Off-site downloads have been disabled."

So, instead, I will give you a direct link to the download on that server until we can get it uploaded properly to the library.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/HarpoonPaintkit.zip

alain0568
February 22nd, 2018, 10:52
Good evening Milton,

For me as great idea as to spend the Harpoon, Ventura and Lodestar native FSX!:applause:
Thank you for this work!
As your team!

Alain

-

Jafo
February 22nd, 2018, 11:23
Downloading the kit now.....
If I can manage to load the psd/s into PSP I'll look at some painting too...;)

[gonna need a plane to stick 'em on tho]

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 11:27
Okay, looks like the download is working.

Give me a few hours in the Painter's release; I will have it up today barring any export/compile issues.

Duckie
February 22nd, 2018, 11:54
Downloading the kit now.....
If I can manage to load the psd/s into PSP I'll look at some painting too...;)

[gonna need a plane to stick 'em on tho]

Jafo, you probably already know this but, depending on your PSP version, you can load the PSDs, save them as PSPIMAGE (not just "psp") files and preserve the layer groups. I use PSP and this works for me.

Steve

Duckie
February 22nd, 2018, 11:56
Okay, looks like the download is working.

Give me a few hours in the Painter's release; I will have it up today barring any export/compile issues.

Got it Milton and have successfully converted them to PSPIMAGE files for my painting app. All work just fine.

Thank you, and Nigel for uploading them.

Jafo
February 22nd, 2018, 12:01
Jafo, you probably already know this but, depending on your PSP version, you can load the PSDs, save them as PSPIMAGE (not just "psp") files and preserve the layer groups. I use PSP and this works for me.

Steve
Yes....with good old PSP6 the issue is always about size and running out of mem in a 32bit app and its inability to recognize some advanced layer features in later PSD versions.
I've been known to effectively redraw an existing paintkit just so I can manage sizes etc and use my fave paint app..... particularly if I feel there's an advantage such as going from 1024 to 4096 res as well...;)
In this case I'd imagine 2048 would be fine...;)
I've redrawn several of Piglet's this way.

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 12:15
The Painters' Release and Limited Beta is posted.

Includes four "C" models; the "D" models will come a little later.
The only "C" model differences are in weapons.
Texture mapping is the same for these four models.
The civilian model will also come later.

I put this package together quickly so forgive me any oversights.

Anyone is welcome to download and treat as an early beta.
There are still some things that I want to change or that need attention.

Please report any issues right here.

Thanks

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=23427&catid=37

expat
February 22nd, 2018, 13:26
A big thank you. I was really missing those birds, now that I am moving to P3D. :jump:

Wonderful development!

WarHorse47
February 22nd, 2018, 14:27
I have the prior FSX port-overs from 2015 and they work really well. However, one problem that seems to carry over to the FSX Native models is the overhead compass. Mine is black and has no directional ribbon. I believe this compass works fine with the AT-11, so I wonder what is so different with the Harpoon series? Anyways, here's one item for the list. :untroubled:

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 14:41
I have the prior FSX port-overs from 2015 and they work really well. However, one problem that seems to carry over to the FSX Native models is the overhead compass. Mine is black and has no directional ribbon. I believe this compass works fine with the AT-11, so I wonder what is so different with the Harpoon series? Anyways, here's one item for the list. :untroubled:

Thank you; yes, I am aware of this. I think its boundaries are just outside the bmp and FSX does not like that.

It's on the list but not to it yet.

EDIT: Looked at his issue. Yes, the area mapped is too close to the top-right edge of the bmp and doesn't allow for the full gauge and ribbon to show. Will make it larger and move inward abit.

semo
February 22nd, 2018, 14:46
Thank you so much for the Harpoon. I loved this series in FS9 and it flies great in P3D. You and your groups value to this hobby just can't be measured.

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 15:13
Thank you so much for the Harpoon. I loved this series in FS9 and it flies great in P3D. You and your groups value to this hobby just can't be measured.

Thank you Semo. Still early in beta with lots of things to improve on just yet. Please post here any issues/concerns or improvements you think should be made.

WarHorse47
February 22nd, 2018, 19:56
Yes. Thanks for converting these to FSX Native, Milton. As requested, here's a little more feedback.

I just finished a flight with the Navy Reserve PV-2 with torpedo. Didn't see any torpedo, externally or within the bomb bay, but it did have drop tanks. Was I supposed to see a torpedo?

No problem with the flight dynamics, sound or views. I did notice some switches on the panel just right of the yoke that were missing labels. All the VC switches worked fine. I did notice a difference between the switches on the left VC panel as compared to the popup Elect Panel. The VC panel had separate switches for the Nav and Recognition lights, whereas the popup panel had a switch for the Nav lights that was labeled as "Recognition."

Daveroo
February 22nd, 2018, 20:51
m of no help in the working of it,but id sure as hell fly it.

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 21:08
Yes. Thanks for converting these to FSX Native, Milton. As requested, here's a little more feedback.

I just finished a flight with the Navy Reserve PV-2 with torpedo. Didn't see any torpedo, externally or within the bomb bay, but it did have drop tanks. Was I supposed to see a torpedo?

No problem with the flight dynamics, sound or views. I did notice some switches on the panel just right of the yoke that were missing labels. All the VC switches worked fine. I did notice a difference between the switches on the left VC panel as compared to the popup Elect Panel. The VC panel had separate switches for the Nav and Recognition lights, whereas the popup panel had a switch for the Nav lights that was labeled as "Recognition."

WH, thanks for the feedback. LOL Yes, I lost the torpedoes in the conversion and was not in a hurry to recover them this morning; wanted to get the package out. But, they are now back and ready for the Navy liveries. :-)

The switch differences: the popup electrical panel is borrowed from the D18S or AT-11 as I have no panel/gauge programmer so I am cobbling things together the best I can. ;-)

Yes, wish I could redo the textures for the panels and ECU because of the text; maybe that will happen before the final release.

Milton Shupe
February 22nd, 2018, 21:09
m of no help in the working of it,but id sure as hell fly it.

Well it's available for everyone; just download it and fly. :-)

lazarus
February 23rd, 2018, 00:05

:applause::applause: Lovely! Buttery frames on the Ordovician epoch box I use, looks good glitch-wise. Other than the whiskey compass, as noted above, I found that the instrument panels display 'on top' of the glass looking in over the shoulder on the external model. A material setting needs a nudge. In MCX, I'd check the 'blend by diffuse alpha' box. Presumably, it's a different value in GMAX. Same setting as the rest of the interiors, I suppose. That's the only glitch I noted. Superb hand flyer. I never got 'round to installing the port-overs, so this was a pleasant surprise. Glad I waited.

expat
February 23rd, 2018, 00:49
Very abridged flight report: Took her briefly around the Solomons. Looks great and flies very nicely in P3Dv4.1!

IanP
February 23rd, 2018, 00:55
I need to try and find out which ones were based out of the top of Northern Ireland with RAF Coastal Command and paint one up... :)

Thanks for the work so far!

Ian P.

alain0568
February 23rd, 2018, 02:04
Hello Milton,

-Good, very beautiful model!
I reused a Japanese texture that I liked, I gain fluidity of display on my poor I3 !;)

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/19/20/05/09/harpoo10.jpg (https://servimg.com/view/19200509/20)

I also reused some modifications of the old version in the vc!

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/19/20/05/09/harpoo11.jpg (https://servimg.com/view/19200509/21)

Well also seen the enslavement of the movement of the guns of the turret with the landing gear!
Congratulations to you and the team!:encouragement:
cordially

Alain

Milton Shupe
February 23rd, 2018, 05:07
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58472&stc=1

Lovely! Buttery frames on the Ordovician epoch box I use, looks good glitch-wise. Other than the whiskey compass, as noted above, I found that the instrument panels display 'on top' of the glass looking in over the shoulder on the external model. A material setting needs a nudge. In MCX, I'd check the 'blend by diffuse alpha' box. Presumably, it's a different value in GMAX. Same setting as the rest of the interiors, I suppose. That's the only glitch I noted. Superb hand flyer. I never got 'round to installing the port-overs, so this was a pleasant surprise. Glad I waited.

That's great to hear Lazarus. Yes, on the list to correct, hopefully today. :-)

I need to try and find out which ones were based out of the top of Northern Ireland with RAF Coastal Command and paint one up...

Thanks for the work so far!

Ian P. Thanks! Look forward to any paint you want to sling :applause:

Hello Milton,

-Good, very beautiful model!
I reused a Japanese texture that I liked, I gain fluidity of display on my poor I3 !

I also reused some modifications of the old version in the vc!

Well also seen the enslavement of the movement of the guns of the turret with the landing gear!
Congratulations to you and the team!:encouragement:
cordially

Alain

Thank you Alain; happy that its working well for you. :wavey:

Milton Shupe
February 23rd, 2018, 05:08
Very abridged flight report: Took her briefly around the Solomons. Looks great and flies very nicely in P3Dv4.1!

Thanks expat; good news to hear :wiggle:

jamminjames
February 23rd, 2018, 05:25
Milton, you and your team are amazing!!! Thanks to all.....

WarHorse47
February 23rd, 2018, 06:17
Got a few more observations for you, Milton.

My default flight, BTW, is cold and dark at my local airport. When I loaded up the Bare Metal model, the pilot and copilot were still at the local latte' stand getting their coffee while the turret gunner was still in the aircraft. He must have frozen off his backside since it was around 20 degrees Fahrenheit last night.

Anyways, after takeoff and setting the autopilot I played around with some of the switches (again). Is the "tank drop" arrow on the panel supposed to do anything? I switched over to another model and couldn't see where anything dropped when I activated the switch.

Only other thing is that the planes can use some cockpit and instrument lighting. One flight started at dusk, so I turned on all the lights but could barely see the panel and gauges.

thunder100
February 23rd, 2018, 09:34
hi

Semi stupid question

will we get the CIV mopdel in FSX Native as well ?

Thanks

Roland

Milton Shupe
February 23rd, 2018, 10:59
hi

Semi stupid question

will we get the CIV mopdel in FSX Native as well ?

Thanks

Roland

Hi Roland :-)

Yes, as mentioned in #42 post above.

"The Painters' Release and Limited Beta is posted.

The civilian model will also come later."

thunder100
February 23rd, 2018, 11:16
Hi Roland :-)

Yes, as mentioned in #42 post above.

"The Painters' Release and Limited Beta is posted.

The civilian model will also come later."

Thanks uncle Milton

Better late then never

Roland

Milton Shupe
February 23rd, 2018, 11:57
Thanks uncle Milton

Better late then never

Roland

You bet; it takes time for each model. Matter of fact is I am still working on the "C" model and will be for 2-3 more days.

Lots of parts, animations, mouse rectangle tags, visibility tags, textures, new custom xml, etc. to deal with along with model differences.

The CIV and "D" model will go more quickly.

gray eagle
February 23rd, 2018, 13:15
Nice Harpoon :adoration:
Looks like the gun in the top turret elevate at ~120/125 - just like the B26 guns. I flew the Attu Warrior, very nice looking color.
Would like an option to raise/lower guns or rotate whole turret assemble - if possible.

Thanks. :encouragement:

Milton Shupe
February 24th, 2018, 11:48
Nice Harpoon :adoration:
Looks like the gun in the top turret elevate at ~120/125 - just like the B26 guns. I flew the Attu Warrior, very nice looking color.
Would like an option to raise/lower guns or rotate whole turret assemble - if possible.

Thanks. :encouragement:

Still adding features but now have the turret with more animation and range, droppable wing tanks, more cockpit features ... but the superchargers bit me ... or rather the engines.

Milton Shupe
February 24th, 2018, 11:53
Got a few more observations for you, Milton.

My default flight, BTW, is cold and dark at my local airport. When I loaded up the Bare Metal model, the pilot and copilot were still at the local latte' stand getting their coffee while the turret gunner was still in the aircraft. He must have frozen off his backside since it was around 20 degrees Fahrenheit last night.

Anyways, after takeoff and setting the autopilot I played around with some of the switches (again). Is the "tank drop" arrow on the panel supposed to do anything? I switched over to another model and couldn't see where anything dropped when I activated the switch.

Only other thing is that the planes can use some cockpit and instrument lighting. One flight started at dusk, so I turned on all the lights but could barely see the panel and gauges.

WH, I have not yet redone the night lighting but its on the list. Thanks.

The Tank drop arrow was a carry over and has been replaced by a cockpit 3D switch.

The Turret gunner visibility issue has been corrected.

Bobr2
February 24th, 2018, 14:10
Would be very interstead in these aircraft, and with you doing them I know will be great like all your other plains

Duckie
February 24th, 2018, 14:10
Hey Milton, couple "painter" questions. I know we're working from FS9 paint kit but there are a couple things to look at. See the attached screen shots.

1. H-tail - fuselage fairing / mating on the topside leading edge/fuselage fairing doesn't seem to be mapped.

2. Same as above but H-tail bottom fuselage mate.

3. "eng_1" (right engine) bottom cowl flap demarc and mate with cowling fairly large gap compare to the left engine same area.

4. Starboard side aft window has a wedge shape "bleed" of fuselage color from upper left corner diagonally down and right to the center of the window.

That's all for now, thanks,

Steve

58530 58531

58532 58528

MrZippy
February 24th, 2018, 14:45
Would be very interstead in these aircraft, and with you doing them I know will be great like all your other plains

All of Milton and team's planes are great! I have flown many of the FS2004 aircraft he and his team made, in FSX. The rane in Spane falls mainly on the planes.:encouragement:

Milton Shupe
February 24th, 2018, 15:13
Hey Milton, couple "painter" questions. I know we're working from FS9 paint kit but there are a couple things to look at. See the attached screen shots.

1. H-tail - fuselage fairing / mating on the topside leading edge/fuselage fairing doesn't seem to be mapped.

2. Same as above but H-tail bottom fuselage mate.

3. "eng_1" (right engine) bottom cowl flap demarc and mate with cowling fairly large gap compare to the left engine same area.

4. Starboard side aft window has a wedge shape "bleed" of fuselage color from upper left corner diagonally down and right to the center of the window.

That's all for now, thanks,

Steve

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58530&stc=1 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58531&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58532&stc=1 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58528&stc=1

Thanks for those observations Steve.

See the attached tails template, top center; it is there but was not included in the paint kit or Nigel's textures for some reason. Maybe it was added later; not sure.

I'll investigate the other issues.

EDIT: Cowling/Nacelles areas corrected; glass is actually poly issue shown in reflection at certain sun angles. Will need to smooth that up.

Milton Shupe
February 24th, 2018, 16:54
Steve,

I believe you were displaying the TGH model (Turret, guns, hard-points), so I have updated that model with the corrections, and more.
I might add that I added the external tanks hard-points as well to this model.

The glass was totally rebuilt but in a certain sun angle reflection, one can see a sliver across the top. Probably the best I can do without some fuselage adjustments.

Attached is a model replacement folder for the TGH model.
Anyone is welcome to download this as well.

I have quite a few VC changes in progress so will hold off other model updates for a day or so.

Duckie
February 24th, 2018, 19:33
Steve,

I believe you were displaying the TGH model (Turret, guns, hard-points), so I have updated that model with the corrections, and more.
I might add that I added the external tanks hard-points as well to this model.

The glass was totally rebuilt but in a certain sun angle reflection, one can see a sliver across the top. Probably the best I can do without some fuselage adjustments.

Attached is a model replacement folder for the TGH model.
Anyone is welcome to download this as well.

I have quite a few VC changes in progress so will hold off other model updates for a day or so.

Milton, thanks for looking at these. You are correct regarding the model, TGH. Sorry I didn't list that in the report. Sometimes I forget you give us so many choices! I tend to fly one type once I settle in and stick with it. I will try to do better if I run across anything else.

Thanks,

Steve

Milton Shupe
February 24th, 2018, 20:42
Milton, thanks for looking at these. You are correct regarding the model, TGH. Sorry I didn't list that in the report. Sometimes I forget you give us so many choices! I tend to fly one type once I settle in and stick with it. I will try to do better if I run across anything else.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, not a problem Sir.

I have updated all the models with basically the same munitions so everything shows on all models.
That is, all models have turret, guns, hard points, rockets, torpedoes, and external tanks. No bombs yet.
Turret animation is similar to the B-26 but with greater freedom of movement (still a WIP).

Eventually, I hope to allow you to select what you want once loaded so we can reduce the number of models.

Right now you can drop the external tanks. I am working on rockets now, and bombs later.

If you want these updates applied so far (optionally), here is a link to download them.

Includes new model folders, panel.cfg, new textures for night lighting.

The things you mentioned have been corrected.

Several VC switch changes for yoke visibility, tank drop, fuel pump switches (moved to ECU), added mouse tool tips, indicator light for bomb bay doors open, etc.
Wellis is working on re-doing the panel and ecu text labels and more.
So for now, you'll just have to rely on tool tips.

There is nothing really urgent about the updates so you can hold off as you wish as changes are being made daily.

But if you wish, here is is the update link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/FSXHarpUpdts1.zip

mrogers
February 24th, 2018, 23:39
I am interested in the updated Lockheeds for FSX, I would be keen to try my skins on the native PV-2 and modify them where necessary. I woulld be keen to do some skins for the Ventura after it's been updated to FSX native standards...while I'm on the subject of the Ventura, Milton would it be possible to update the rear cockpit walls of the Ventura too? These back walls were solid and not open like in the Harpoon. Same kind of door way shape but with solid walls on each side.. just needs some polys to fill in the holes!

Milton Shupe
February 25th, 2018, 05:10
I am interested in the updated Lockheeds for FSX, I would be keen to try my skins on the native PV-2 and modify them where necessary. I woulld be keen to do some skins for the Ventura after it's been updated to FSX native standards...while I'm on the subject of the Ventura, Milton would it be possible to update the rear cockpit walls of the Ventura too? These back walls were solid and not open like in the Harpoon. Same kind of door way shape but with solid walls on each side.. just needs some polys to fill in the holes!

Hi Mark, great to hear from you.

Do you have any pictures of the Ventura interior that you describe?

Brian_Gladden
February 25th, 2018, 06:25
Eagerly awaiting the Venturas. Thinking some 50's and 60's vintage Corporate paints would look sweet.

Edit: meant to say, Loadstars... Haven't had my coffee yet...

alain0568
February 26th, 2018, 02:27
Hello Milton,

-I just tried your new models, and I find the nice improvements!:applause:
-However, would it be possible to get the speed of 100 to 110kts for the movement of the turret, rather than 125Kt?
-The exterior tank release switch could be located next to that of hide yoke?
-For arming, a window of choice like your A-20 would be welcome!
Cordially.

Alain

-

Milton Shupe
February 26th, 2018, 06:18
Hello Milton,

-I just tried your new models, and I find the nice improvements!:applause:
-However, would it be possible to get the speed of 100 to 110kts for the movement of the turret, rather than 125Kt?
-The exterior tank release switch could be located next to that of hide yoke?
-For arming, a window of choice like your A-20 would be welcome!
Cordially.

Alain

-

Alain, thank you for the comments and suggestions.

Regarding the turret animation, I set that speed above where take off is safely established and flaps are retracted. Movement of the turret in the real world causes some buffeting and I thought having safe take off and being established on climb out was the appropriate thing to do before the turret gunner got seated and active.

Regarding the tank release/load out, I have animated and tagged most of the switches, switch guards, and levers on the left side so some things have changed. All of the items are getting a make-over with textures and labels.

Regarding a load out window, I am not a gauge programmer and do not have one on the team so I am doing a little load out management through use of cockpit switches and xml coding the best I can. The RW aircraft had no "load out" window. :-)

alain0568
February 26th, 2018, 09:37
-Hello,

Okay, Milton!:adoration:
No problem!

Alain

--

Milton Shupe
February 26th, 2018, 09:57
Investing a lot of time in the VC adding functionality and animating/tagging switches and levers. Meanwhile Wellis is updating some of the VC textures and labels (not yet shown).

Also worked on night lighting and have that in hand now looking good throughout although a screen shot does not do it justice.

Milton Shupe
February 26th, 2018, 10:00
Eagerly awaiting the Venturas. Thinking some 50's and 60's vintage Corporate paints would look sweet.

Edit: meant to say, Loadstars... Haven't had my coffee yet...

Hello Brian; good to see you here. :-)

Yes, there are some awesome liveries out there for the Lodestar so we will enjoy getting that one out.

Brian_Gladden
February 26th, 2018, 12:13
Have you considered perhaps a Long nose Trigear Howard 250 out of a loadstar? I thought about one back when I was designing but at the time I couldn't find a set of 3 views. Now I don't even have FSDS anymore...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58584&stc=1 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58585&stc=1

Milton Shupe
February 27th, 2018, 07:18
Brian, I agree it would be the "Cat's Meow" of Lodestars. However, if you look it over, you'll see it's pretty much a total new project outside and inside.

I am focused now on converting my inventory of projects to FSX native and hopefully no new full projects from scratch in my future.

This is one of the Lodestar pictures that captured my interest and propelled the Lodestar project.

expat
February 27th, 2018, 07:27
you'll see it's pretty much a total new project outside and inside.

Indeed it would. We all owe making your life easier and less busy! But love that picture window and so-60's paint of the tri-gear. It should be someone else's turn to do!

expat
February 27th, 2018, 07:38
A couple more of the 250 - to inspire others.

https://cdn.aviation-safety.net/graphics/typephotos/Howard-250.jpg

https://www.deehoward.org/images/events/saaahof/scott-glover-250-tri-gear.jpg

https://www.deehoward.org/images/events/2017-saaahof/exhibits/Howard-250-Tri-Gear-N177L-Mid-America-Flight-Museum.jpg

wombat666
February 27th, 2018, 08:15

https://cdn.aviation-safety.net/graphics/typephotos/Howard-250.jpg

https://www.deehoward.org/images/events/saaahof/scott-glover-250-tri-gear.jpg

https://www.deehoward.org/images/events/2017-saaahof/exhibits/Howard-250-Tri-Gear-N177L-Mid-America-Flight-Museum.jpg

Almost pure 'Art Deco' and a version of the venerable Lodestar I had not come across.
:encouragement:

Bjoern
February 27th, 2018, 08:57

That thing looks like the Iron Vulture.

https://www.animationsource.org/tssourcepage/aircraft4.htm

Milton Shupe
February 27th, 2018, 15:47
Back on topic, the model conversions are progressing.

The Civilian version appears to be completed at this point.

The "D" nose version is almost complete. A few niggles to correct and we are good, I believe.

I have completed the VC upgrades that I intended to do but will not try to do a load sheet for the various munitions. The xml just got to numerous and complicated for my very basic xml skill level. I will simply provide some model/munitions variations as before.

Now awaiting updated VC panel and ecu textures before the next beta.

Milton Shupe
February 27th, 2018, 15:51
Indeed it would. We all owe making your life easier and less busy! But love that picture window and so-60's paint of the tri-gear. It should be someone else's turn to do!

I'll certainly share the Lodestar gmax source for the tails, wings, engines and main gear if that would help. Might be able to cobble the rear fuselage section from the existing.

Willy
February 27th, 2018, 16:42
Brian, I agree it would be the "Cat's Meow" of Lodestars. However, if you look it over, you'll see it's pretty much a total new project outside and inside.

I am focused now on converting my inventory of projects to FSX native and hopefully no new full projects from scratch in my future.

This is one of the Lodestar pictures that captured my interest and propelled the Lodestar project.

I seem to remember doing that one. I'd be happy to do it again as well in FSX native. I might even still have my original layered .pdn files. Edit: I do

Now, when the Ventura is ready to go, I've got a few that I'm going to have to do. Including my personal ride "Cumshaw Queen"

Milton Shupe
March 1st, 2018, 17:46
Just posted the first full Beta v1.0 package of the Harpoon.

Eight models, eight liveries, fully featured, and with bump and and spec maps enabled.

While you are testing this for us, I'll move on to the Vega Ventura.

Thank you for your help in "swamp testing" this one in advance.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=109661

heywooood
March 1st, 2018, 20:19
https://i.imgur.com/6vMNOVw.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/fuXfMsQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/wPiwBtg.png

https://i.imgur.com/HaXzBB5.png

seems to work in FSX-A (FSX+Acceleration boxed) however I had trouble starting it up using the VC so went to Ctrl+C on this initial test. Everything else worked perfectly
It looks great and flies very nicely

Catboat
March 1st, 2018, 22:23
Thanks again Milton and all concerned for yet another great aircraft with the Harpoon for FSX. As a kid I used to hang on an airport fence in Napier N.Z. and drool over N.A.C's Lockheed 10s and Lodestars.

Only one problem though-I am running FSX SP1 and SP2, and though the aircraft downloads perfectly, when the thumbnail is selected for the particular aircraft texture, I get a "Initialization Failure" Pop-up. I have checked the loading threat and it is perfect, the correct layout appearing in the "Aircraft" selection menu. I have not had this happen before with any of Milton's products, and being a computer idiot, I have no idea what I can do to correct the problem. Anyone got any ideas Please.

Many thanks in advance

mrogers
March 2nd, 2018, 00:04
I've converted one of my FS9 textures for the PV-2 to DDS for the FSX native V1.0 model, so far it is working well. I have other FS9 textures that will follow in due course soon, plus a real world civil one for the civilian model. That one still needs a bit of work.
I noticed a small black area between the front of the rear stabiliser and the fuselage that was also apparent on the other PV-2 textures too in the package. I just added a small block of the same blue colour of the stabiliser to the front of the top stabiliser, so that effectively fixes that small black rectangle. No more black there now. Apparently it's a bit of area on the texture that got missed in the painting.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58695&stc=1

The native PV-2 looks great in FSX.
Milton, I have some pictures of the PV-1 cockpit back area and I'm waiting on some more information to come so will PM you when it's arrived.

Looking forward to the native Ventura, and Lodestar!

MrZippy
March 2nd, 2018, 03:47
Thanks again Milton and all concerned for yet another great aircraft with the Harpoon for FSX. As a kid I used to hang on an airport fence in Napier N.Z. and drool over N.A.C's Lockheed 10s and Lodestars.

Only one problem though-I am running FSX SP1 and SP2, and though the aircraft downloads perfectly, when the thumbnail is selected for the particular aircraft texture, I get a "Initialization Failure" Pop-up. I have checked the loading threat and it is perfect, the correct layout appearing in the "Aircraft" selection menu. I have not had this happen before with any of Milton's products, and being a computer idiot, I have no idea what I can do to correct the problem. Anyone got any ideas Please.

Many thanks in advance

I also have FSX SP1 and 2. Downloading now and will check it out.

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 04:02
seems to work in FSX-A (FSX+Acceleration boxed) however I had trouble starting it up using the VC so went to Ctrl+C on this initial test. Everything else worked perfectly
It looks great and flies very nicely

For those who prefer a VC start switch start-up, change the following statement in the [Piston_Engine] section of the aircraft.cfg:

normalized_starter_torque =0.30347 //0.03347

I have a slow start gauge by Pierre Carosin that I meant to include and will test that out for the next release.

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 04:03
I also have FSX SP1 and 2. Downloading now and will check it out.

Thank you for testing this. I have FSXA so not sure what the restrictions are at that level.

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 04:13
I've converted one of my FS9 textures for the PV-2 to DDS for the FSX native V1.0 model, so far it is working well. I have other FS9 textures that will follow in due course soon, plus a real world civil one for the civilian model. That one still needs a bit of work.
I noticed a small black area between the front of the rear stabiliser and the fuselage that was also apparent on the other PV-2 textures too in the package. I just added a small block of the same blue colour of the stabiliser to the front of the top stabiliser, so that effectively fixes that small black rectangle. No more black there now. Apparently it's a bit of area on the texture that got missed in the painting.

The native PV-2 looks great in FSX.
Milton, I have some pictures of the PV-1 cockpit back area and I'm waiting on some more information to come so will PM you when it's arrived.

Looking forward to the native Ventura, and Lodestar!

If you are pulling over textures from FS9, note that a few textures have changed, and many have been added.

So, copy one of the texture.cfg files from one of my liveries and put into your FS9 texture folder.

It would be best to eliminate all but the fuse, fuserear, fuse_D, eng, wing, tail textures from your FS9 livery. Use one of the distributed folders as a guide as to what to keep. That plus the texture.cfg will then allow you to use all the new and updated textures with your FS9 livery.

The black spot on the htail is an area of the tails_t texture that was mapped separately after those liveries were done I think. See the attached mapping template for the tails.

MrZippy
March 2nd, 2018, 04:22
Thank you for testing this. I have FSXA so not sure what the restrictions are at that level.

1st test flight is very successful all the way from choosing the thumbnail, picking the flight plan, and hitting "Fly Now". Take off and landing both as smooth as butter. I'm usually lazy and do the Ctrl+E engine start. I will make the change to the aircraft.cfg to help with the VC engine startup.:encouragement:

aspen31
March 2nd, 2018, 09:36
Hi Milton
I flew the Harpoon a bit in P3D V4.2 and it flew like the beast I believe it was. I've never seen a Harpoon except in a Museum but I did see a few Howard 500s and Lodestars in the day - the sound and performance seem very close to my recollections. Everything (switches, levers etc) functioned as anticipated except the start which I could not accomplish - I used mixture full forward, propellers 100%, fuel pumps on, ignition on; a bit of primer and engage. The prop would turn once with each "hit" and then stop - Control + E worked well. This could have been me since I didn't have much time to play - otherwise this seems a good machine for V4.
I would like to see a civilian freighter version if ever possible. Cargo doors are more fun than turrets for me.
In the meantime any advice about start up would be appreciated.
Thanks for doing this airplane.
Warren

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 09:55
Hi Milton
I flew the Harpoon a bit in P3D V4.2 and it flew like the beast I believe it was. I've never seen a Harpoon except in a Museum but I did see a few Howard 500s and Lodestars in the day - the sound and performance seem very close to my recollections. Everything (switches, levers etc) functioned as anticipated except the start which I could not accomplish - I used mixture full forward, propellers 100%, fuel pumps on, ignition on; a bit of primer and engage. The prop would turn once with each "hit" and then stop - Control + E worked well. This could have been me since I didn't have much time to play - otherwise this seems a good machine for V4.
I would like to see a civilian freighter version if ever possible. Cargo doors are more fun than turrets for me.
In the meantime any advice about start up would be appreciated.
Warren

Thank you Warren; advice posted above in previous response here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/109494-Lockheed-Harpoon-Ventura-and-Lodestar-Native?p=1130033&viewfull=1#post1130033

MrZippy
March 2nd, 2018, 10:04
This is what I took the engine starting torque up to for VC engine startup: Works like a champ!

normalized_starter_torque =0.14347 //0.033

I thought the 0.30347 might be a little high so I compared it to the B-26 Marauder and went a tweachy bit higher.

gray eagle
March 2nd, 2018, 10:44
I recently D/L a harpoon file (fsxharpoon.zip) and today I D/L (fsxharpoonbetav1.0.zip)
Are they the same aircraft & liveries? What are the differences between the two files?
THanks

MrZippy
March 2nd, 2018, 11:08
I recently D/L a harpoon file (fsxharpoon.zip) and today I D/L (fsxharpoonbetav1.0.zip)
Are they the same aircraft & liveries? What are the differences between the two files?
THanks

Don't be confused! In Post#42 Milton released The Painters' Release and Limited Beta. The beta version is now what we are using to test different aspects of this aircraft. I'm sure a "Gold" version will be the final release.

gray eagle
March 2nd, 2018, 11:12
Don't be confused! In Post#42 Milton released The Painters' Release and Limited Beta. .
I saw that one and it looks like the same textures are in the latest release. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=37&linkid=23445

The beta version is now what we are using to test different aspects of this aircraft. I'm sure a "Gold" version will be the final release.

Okay.... how do you turn on the tail wheel castor on (locked) off (Free)? Or is that not modeled in yet?

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 11:48
I saw that one and it looks like the same textures are in the latest release. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=37&linkid=23445

Okay.... how do you turn on the tail wheel castor on (locked) off (Free)? Or is that not modeled in yet?

The aircraft has a castoring tailwheel.

Look at the contact points .... substitute contact point 0 for the one commented out.

Maybe I misunderstood. There is a lever right side of ecu to lock the tailwheel.

MrZippy
March 2nd, 2018, 11:53
The aircraft has a castoring tailwheel.

Look at the contact points .... substitute contact point 0 for the one comments out.

Maybe I misunderstood. There is a lever right side of ecu to lock the tailwheel.

+1 on the Contact point uncomment/comment out! Otherwise you need to use rudder+brake=differential braking for steering while taxiing.

WarHorse47
March 2nd, 2018, 12:19
Milton,

May want to check the tgh model, external view under the Port wing. Looks like some kind of artifact.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/2018-3-2_13-4-13-567_zpsbijydead.jpg

mrogers
March 2nd, 2018, 13:09
If you are pulling over textures from FS9, note that a few textures have changed, and many have been added.

So, copy one of the texture.cfg files from one of my liveries and put into your FS9 texture folder.

It would be best to eliminate all but the fuse, fuserear, fuse_D, eng, wing, tail textures from your FS9 livery. Use one of the distributed folders as a guide as to what to keep. That plus the texture.cfg will then allow you to use all the new and updated textures with your FS9 livery.

The black spot on the htail is an area of the tails_t texture that was mapped separately after those liveries were done I think. See the attached mapping template for the tails.

That's exactly what I did, Milton. I converted/flipped only the FS9 main fuserear, fuse, eng, wing, tail textures to DDS and put them in one of the distributed folders with the new and updated textures. Only trouble is that I couldn't copy the new alpha textures over so there aren't alpha textures at the moment. I'm learning and it's a bit of a learning curve for me to understand how to do the textures with bump mapping, etc for FSX.

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 15:02
That's exactly what I did, Milton. I converted/flipped only the FS9 main fuserear, fuse, eng, wing, tail textures to DDS and put them in one of the distributed folders with the new and updated textures. Only trouble is that I couldn't copy the new alpha textures over so there aren't alpha textures at the moment. I'm learning and it's a bit of a learning curve for me to understand how to do the textures with bump mapping, etc for FSX.

Mark,

You do not have to convert the FS9 bmp textures; just copy them over and use as they are.

However, if you want to convert them, there is no need to do that manually.

Attached is a bmp2ddsdxt5 folder that will do it for you.

Just unzip the folder.
Put any bmps in the folder you wish to convert and run the "bmp2ddsconvert.bat file.
In a few seconds, the conversion is done for you.

Then just copy the new dds textures to your aircraft texture folder.

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 15:07
THanks

Gray Eagle,

The initial release was an early beta and painters' release. (fsxharpoon.zip) It had 4 liveries I think and only the "C" model variants.

The new file is the official beta full release. It has 8 liveries, 5 based on the "C" model and 3 based on the"D" model.
The civilian model is a "C".

Milton Shupe
March 2nd, 2018, 16:22
Milton,

May want to check the tgh model, external view under the Port wing. Looks like some kind of artifact.

Thank you Sir; indeed, was a rocket fin one of the crew apparently guerilla-glued to the mount I suspect. :-)

mrogers
March 3rd, 2018, 01:09
Thank you Milton, for that little utility, it will be very useful for a fast conversion of the textures.

mrogers
March 3rd, 2018, 12:08
Milton, the information regarding the PV-1 cockpit wall/bulkhead area I was waiting for hasn't come through , and the pictures I found on the web could be of some help, but aren't clear enough to show enough information and most of them have now gone with the photobucket whatnot in their place unfortunately. I do have one good picture though that shows clearly the wall/bulkhead behind the pilot's seat. This one is a PV-1 restoration in Australia

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58720&stc=1

Some more pictures picked from what I found, hopefully they show up.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58721&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58722&stc=1

The PV-1, B-34 and RAF ventura all had the same cockpit bulkhead and basic cockpit structure. I understand that there was a radio operator's room behind the partial bulkhead and then another bulkhead following right behind that room. Not sure if you want to go that far Milton with all that, but if you did just that partial bulkhead in the cockpit that would be enough. I would completely understand if you just wanted to leave things as they are.

Milton Shupe
March 3rd, 2018, 13:50
Hi Mark,

Nice pics of the seat there; I had not seen that one. The others I have.

Mark, I am not looking to change the completed model beyond the hundreds of animations, tags, and textures that are involved in the conversion. It will be the same as the FS9 model otherwise the interior textures will have to be redone. This is a "me" project, not a team one. :-) Thanks

mrogers
March 3rd, 2018, 14:15
That's ok Milton, no problem, thanks:-)

Milton Shupe
March 3rd, 2018, 17:07
That's ok Milton, no problem, thanks:-)

Mark, thanks/ These FSX conversions are just that, not construction phase work. I have to be careful of changes made due to compatibility with all the liveries that have been done.

FYI, here are two samples of what the Ventura interior was like.

WarHorse47
March 3rd, 2018, 18:42
I just finished a night flight. Good job on the lighting both VC and exterior.

I am curious as to why the aircraft is without any external beacon or strobe lights. I assume this is intentional?

Milton Shupe
March 3rd, 2018, 19:19
I just finished a night flight. Good job on the lighting both VC and exterior.

I am curious as to why the aircraft is without any external beacon or strobe lights. I assume this is intentional?

Thanks WH,

No beacon or strobe lights on the wartime models to my knowledge.

Milton Shupe
March 3rd, 2018, 19:22
Making good headway on the Ventura glass nose version. Just got the basic exterior model work completed. although a few tweaks to be done.

Focus moving the the interior model now.

stansdds
March 4th, 2018, 03:50
Thanks WH,

No beacon or strobe lights on the wartime models to my knowledge.

Correct. Red beacons did not come into use until the mid-1950's, strobes sometime in the late 1970's, I think.

aspen31
March 4th, 2018, 14:05
Hi Milton
I did some night flying with the P2V in P3D V4.2 and found that, at least for these old eyes the blue pitch controls are very had to see at least to perform an adjustment. I'm using a fairly good monitor and reasonable background light levels but could no precisely manipulate the pitch.
Might just be my setup but I thought I would pass it along.
Great airplane by the way - looking forward to a cargo version.
Thanks for doing it.
Warren

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2018, 14:11
Correct. Red beacons did not come into use until the mid-1950's, strobes sometime in the late 1970's, I think.

I guess in all fairness, these lights could exist on the Civilian version, likely being post-war.

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2018, 14:39
Hi Milton
I did some night flying with the P2V in P3D V4.2 and found that, at least for these old eyes the blue pitch controls are very had to see at least to perform an adjustment. I'm using a fairly good monitor and reasonable background light levels but could no precisely manipulate the pitch.
Might just be my setup but I thought I would pass it along.
Great airplane by the way - looking forward to a cargo version.
Thanks for doing it.
Warren

Good observation Warren; corrected. :applause:

I do not recall a cargo version in FS9.
This is a conversion project, not a construction effort. Sorry.
I suppose the Civilian version could be used but I cannot make changes that might be expected for a larger door, cargo, and interior changes without a team effort to accomplish it all.

Milton Shupe
March 4th, 2018, 15:45
Regarding the beta test phase, I will hold the beta open for changes/corrections until Thursday morning, UTC -7. After that, I would like to prepare a "Gold" release package.

If you have any issues, problems, concerns, try to get them posted by late Wednesday/early Thursday.

Thanks for your help shaking this one out. :applause:

blanston12
March 4th, 2018, 16:32
I loaded it up into P3D4.2

I noticed that the title= properties are a little incomplete, it would be nice if you added to the front of each title 'Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon" to the front of each so they can be identified easier in the P3D aircraft selector.

Also several definitions are missing the line
ui_createdby="Milton Shupe and Team"

My first flight shows very little else to complain about. A great success I must say.

aspen31
March 4th, 2018, 16:40
Thanks Milton
I guess I'm just a cargo door "nut" but it's a great flying machine in any case and I can certainly live without it.
Warren

Milton Shupe
March 5th, 2018, 02:56
I loaded it up into P3D4.2

I noticed that the title= properties are a little incomplete, it would be nice if you added to the front of each title 'Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon" to the front of each so they can be identified easier in the P3D aircraft selector.

Also several definitions are missing the line
ui_createdby="Milton Shupe and Team"

My first flight shows very little else to complain about. A great success I must say.

Thanks for the comments Joe.

Are you saying that P3D does not show the following statements when selecting from the menu and that it needs to be repeated in every "title=" line as well?

ui_manufacturer = Lockheed
ui_type = PV-2

aspen31
March 5th, 2018, 03:13
Morning Milton
In my P3D V4.2 installation the PV2 shows up spread all over the aircraft list - m87 Gruppo at the top,Attu Warrior further down and then several PV2s together. I can find the "variants" okay but they are not showing in the traditional way - all together.
Hope this helps.
Warren

Milton Shupe
March 5th, 2018, 03:21
Morning Milton
In my P3D V4.2 installation the PV2 shows up spread all over the aircraft list - m87 Gruppo at the top,Attu Warrior further down and then several PV2s together. I can find the "variants" okay but they are not showing in the traditional way - all together.
Hope this helps.
Warren

Warren, thanks for the explanation. See the attachment showing Lockheed selections PV-1 and PV-2. The FSX menu uses the "ui-manufacturer=" and "type=" lines first, then appends the "title=" line.

The problem I have is if I repeat that info in the "title=" line, then in FSX, the Lockheed PV-2 shows twice before the livery name, and little of that would show as there would not be much room left in the description.

aspen31
March 5th, 2018, 04:06
Hi Milton
For me how the aircraft show on the P3D V4.2 list is not really important - just different. I've done some editing of my own just to differentiate the different textures but once I learned how they show up it's a small issue with a really nice airplane. If I come up with something that allows the PV2 to show up as a group on the list I'll advise but for now - not a big problem.
Warren

blanston12
March 5th, 2018, 08:30
Hi Milton,

It was always my experience that in FSX the name show was a combination of "ui-manufacturer=", "type=" and ui_variation, not title. Title in FSX is just the internal identifier for the definition that had to be unique, to be used in scenarios and saved flights. The reasons that LM decided to make the previously hidden title the public name of the AC is beyond me be but they did.

I have gotten quite used to having to going in and editing the titles on aircraft to fit with my overly exacting aesthetic, its just nice when there is already a reasonable title there.

Milton Shupe
March 8th, 2018, 09:20
Making progress on the PV-1 Vega Ventura wrapping up the glass nose version.
The solid nose version will convert much more quickly.

I have received no further reports on the Harpoon and we have wrapped up a long series of changes, fixes, and updates.
Duckie is working on a paint kit for the Harpoon that will allow full exploitation and benefit of FSX native features.
Will likely be a few weeks before we get the Harpoon series out.

aspen31
March 8th, 2018, 13:28
Hi Milton
The airplane continues to work really well in P3D V4.2 - really no problems other than the ones written about earlier - all of which seem minor. With all the snow and low ceilings here in the Northeast over the last few days and a decent weather program I've discovered that the lack of an ILS is shortening my flights quite significantly. I'm getting to know fields a few mils short of the approach at several airports in the area. Will there be an ILS in the Civilian version or will I be doomed to bounce around in the bush? What is it they say - out of ideas and altitude at the same time.
Great airplane Milton - sounds like the L18s I remember from years ago.
Thanks
Warren

Milton Shupe
March 8th, 2018, 15:15
Hi Milton
The airplane continues to work really well in P3D V4.2 - really no problems other than the ones written about earlier - all of which seem minor. With all the snow and low ceilings here in the Northeast over the last few days and a decent weather program I've discovered that the lack of an ILS is shortening my flights quite significantly. I'm getting to know fields a few mils short of the approach at several airports in the area. Will there be an ILS in the Civilian version or will I be doomed to bounce around in the bush? What is it they say - out of ideas and altitude at the same time.
Great airplane Milton - sounds like the L18s I remember from years ago.
Thanks
Warren

Thanks Warren. Sounds like a reasonable request. I'll look into that.

mrogers
March 8th, 2018, 22:05
No problems so far with the Harpoon.

Great that Duckie is doing a paintkit for the Harpoon, looking forward to it so I can splash some paint on it.
Will there be a new paintkit for the Ventura as well?

Would there be a new flight model made for the Ventura? The flight model for it was the same one from the Harpoon that you copied over, I remember.

Milton Shupe
March 9th, 2018, 07:16
No problems so far with the Harpoon.

Great that Duckie is doing a paintkit for the Harpoon, looking forward to it so I can splash some paint on it.
Will there be a new paintkit for the Ventura as well?

Would there be a new flight model made for the Ventura? The flight model for it was the same one from the Harpoon that you copied over, I remember.

The original release Ventura Paint Kit by Firekitten is in the SOH library and will not change:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20563&catid=7

I do not recall the specifics of the flight model but just checked and it does seem to be a copy of the Harpoon with obvious changes in weights. :dizzy:

I'll revisit that. :banghead:

MrZippy
March 9th, 2018, 08:09
Hi Milton
Will there be an ILS in the Civilian version or will I be doomed to bounce around in the bush?

I did this as a temporary measure. I think this is what you are looking for. I decided I didn't need the Rad Alt as much as this gauge.

58828 Click on me to make it bigger! (too bad it doesn't work like that in the RW)

aspen31
March 9th, 2018, 09:19
I think that would work nicely. I usually judge my altitude by the proximity of the trees rushing by. Is there a particular gauge you used?
Take care
Warren

MrZippy
March 9th, 2018, 13:01
I think that would work nicely. I usually judge my altitude by the proximity of the trees rushing by. Is there a particular gauge you used?
Take care
Warren

Hi Warren! I just borrowed the CessnaWAlpha!VOR1_Alpha from the default C-172 and placed this in the [Window00] section of the panel.cfg to replace the Rad Alt. I used Cessna!VOR1 from the default C-172 in the [vcockpit01] section of the panel.cfg to replace the Rad Alt there. Do you need to actually see the panel.cfg sections? Now to see if a codebox will work.

[Window00]
file=HarpMain2.bmp
size_mm=1920,1080
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=7
visible=1
ident=0
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=ST_Harpoon!Altimeter_D18, 619,832,119,111
gauge01=ST_Harpoon!turn_and_bank, 912,836,122,107
gauge02=ST_Harpoon!Cabin Lights, 374,192,22,34
gauge03=ST_Harpoon!clock, 529,976,106,98
gauge04=ST_Harpoon!Rad_Compass_D18, 665,985,92,85
gauge05=//
gauge06=CessnaWAlpha!VOR1_Alpha, 497,825,110,101 //ST_Harpoon!ST_Radar Altimeter
gauge07=ST_Harpoon!HW_FlapGear, 932,1000,89,75

[Vcockpit01]
file=vc01.bmp
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$vc01

gauge00=ST_Harpoon!Altimeter_D18, 359,581,178,176
gauge01=ST_Harpoon!turn_and_bank, 798,584,182,182
gauge02=ST_Harpoon!ADI_D18, 550,334,202,210
gauge03=ST_Harpoon!Cabin Lights, 259,458,22,34
gauge04=ST_Harpoon!clock, 206,817,164,162
gauge05=ST_Harpoon!DG_D18, 605,601,130,124
gauge06=ST_Harpoon!Rad_Compass_D18, 416,829,143,148
gauge07=ST_Harpoon!Gyro Set, 648,748,44,44
gauge08=ST_Harpoon!ADI_Cage Knob_D18, 738,519,50,51
gauge09=//
gauge10=ST_Harpoon!VSI_6, 805,372,152,149
gauge11=ST_Harpoon!HW_FlapGear, 824,854,139,129
gauge12=Cessna!VOR1, 182,573,158,158 //ST_Harpoon!ST_Radar Altimeter

aspen31
March 9th, 2018, 14:01
Hi
I'm using the Harpoon in P3D V4 so I'm not sure if that particular gauge would work (no 172). I'll have a look at what is available for my sim.
Thanks
Warren

MrZippy
March 9th, 2018, 16:35
Hi
I'm using the Harpoon in P3D V4 so I'm not sure if that particular gauge would work (no 172). I'll have a look at what is available for my sim.
Thanks
Warren

Sorry, didn't realize the P3D V4. You should be able to find a suitable gauge.

Milton Shupe
March 9th, 2018, 18:51
Gents,

No need to scurry about; there's a VOR1 gauge in your panel folder, ST_D18!VOR1_Indicator

gaab
March 10th, 2018, 15:30
Hello, I was unable to start the engines from the VC even after updating the "normalized_starter_torque". Thanks to Black Box, I identified that there is no way to set the selected fuel tank (my default flight is a very COLD start...). Hope I am not too late for the "Gold" version :( Thanks Gérard

Milton Shupe
March 10th, 2018, 16:01
Gerard,

Thanks for your comments.

I do not have proper fuel tank selectors and fuel transfer capabilities as I do not have a gauge programmer.
None of the default xml code matches up with the Harpoon.

In FSXA, I did go to the Beaver and turn OFF fuel.
I came back to the Harpoon and used cntrl+e to start without issues so that obviously turns on fuel to ALL.

From there, fuel usage uses the standard MS fuel tank usage sequence.

Maybe you have P3D and that works differently?

EDIT: Also, with all the tank options, the Harpoon is set up so that all tanks feed the center tanks from where the engines are directly fed via engine-driven pumps. OF course, booster pumps are available as needed. Secondly, fuel may be pumped from any tank to any engine.

So, generally, the fuel system feeds are automatic and transfers are only necessary in the event of pump, line, tank, or engine failures.

Milton Shupe
March 10th, 2018, 19:48
The original release Ventura Paint Kit by Firekitten is in the SOH library and will not change:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20563&catid=7

I do not recall the specifics of the flight model but just checked and it does seem to be a copy of the Harpoon with obvious changes in weights. :dizzy:

I'll revisit that. :banghead:

Well, I guess I was wrong regarding the air file (even though the comments were not changed in it), the flight model was done using the Harpoon as a base, but then weights and speeds, etc. were changed to get performance for the Ventura.
I did the initial and Tom Falley finished it off.

Doesn't mean it can't be revisited but it was done specifically for the Ventura.

mrogers
March 10th, 2018, 23:04
That's good Milton, but the dimensions are still the same, unchanged, from the Harpoon, in the dimensions tab. They do need to be adjusted to match the Ventura's dimensions. The dimensions still show the Harpoon's much larger wingspan and longer fuselage length, the Ventura was smaller in both.

aspen31
March 11th, 2018, 01:51
Hi Milton
Not sure if this is something to look at but a couple of times during takeoff i have noticed that with the tail wheel lock on I don't have enough rudder authority to keep the airplane centered on the runway despite using full differential braking. There may have been a 10 - 15 knot crosswind during these takeoffs but it might be something to think about before the final version and of course if anyone else has experienced this. I'm using P3D V4.2 with FXRealWXPro.
Thanks
Warren

aspen31
March 11th, 2018, 03:54
Hi Milton
I'm back again.
A while back I mentioned having difficulty seeing the pitch controls in the night lit cockpit. In fact there are several controls with which I have this difficulty and they include the carb heat and sometimes the tail wheel lock. Might be worth a look before the final version.
Thanks
Warren

MrZippy
March 11th, 2018, 05:09
Hi Milton
I'm back again.
A while back I mentioned having difficulty seeing the pitch controls in the night lit cockpit. In fact there are several controls with which I have this difficulty and they include the carb heat and sometimes the tail wheel lock. Might be worth a look before the final version.
Thanks
Warren

I have notice that, also. It seems the handles of those levers blend into the console when looking at them from certain angles. At those times I rely on a keyboard stroke or two.

gaab
March 11th, 2018, 06:00
Milton,

Gerard,
Also, with all the tank options, the Harpoon is set up so that all tanks feed the center tanks from where the engines are directly fed via engine-driven pumps. OF course, booster pumps are available as needed. Secondly, fuel may be pumped from any tank to any engine.
So, generally, the fuel system feeds are automatic and transfers are only necessary in the event of pump, line, tank, or engine failures.

In order to have fuel tanks selected whatever default flight setting, I have added

<Keys>
<On Event="TOGGLE_PRIMER1">
1 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL)
</On>
<On Event="TOGGLE_PRIMER2">
1 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_ALL)
</On>
</Keys>

in one of the Vcockpit01 gauge (Cabin Lights, because it is a simple one..)

It is a simple way to insure proper vc start to everybody.

Gérard

Milton Shupe
March 11th, 2018, 06:44
Hi Milton
Not sure if this is something to look at but a couple of times during takeoff i have noticed that with the tail wheel lock on I don't have enough rudder authority to keep the airplane centered on the runway despite using full differential braking. There may have been a 10 - 15 knot crosswind during these takeoffs but it might be something to think about before the final version and of course if anyone else has experienced this. I'm using P3D V4.2 with FXRealWXPro.
Thanks
Warren

In the real world of course, one would use differential throttle to control these take offs.
Since most here do not have the that ability, I guess, I will decrease the torque to make it more manageable.

Hi Milton
I'm back again.
Thanks
Warren

The night lighting throughout the cockpit has been updated.

I have notice that, also. It seems the handles of those levers blend into the console when looking at them from certain angles. At those times I rely on a keyboard stroke or two.

All taken care some time ago.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

aspen31
March 11th, 2018, 07:18
Hi Milton
Always possible that my own technique is at fault regarding the takeoff. I wouldn't change the torque on my account. I'll try some additional takeoffs and see if I can improve.
Thanks
Warren

aspen31
March 11th, 2018, 08:07
Hi Milton
Have to confess I forgot about torque factor in these airplanes - tried a few more takeoffs and on a reasonably wide runway and applying power judiciously I was able to better manage the roll - all in all my fault - no adjustments necessary.
Thanks
Warren

Milton Shupe
March 11th, 2018, 08:42
Hi Milton
Have to confess I forgot about torque factor in these airplanes - tried a few more takeoffs and on a reasonably wide runway and applying power judiciously I was able to better manage the roll - all in all my fault - no adjustments necessary.
Thanks
Warren

Warren,

Regarding applying power properly, attached is a small video of the Howard 500 takeoff and climb. It starts as they taxi into position, then at about 15 seconds in, you will see the throttles being moved forward. You see a small application and a pause ensuring the aircraft is direction-ally oriented properly, then a very slow, smooth application over 15-20 seconds completing just before rotation.

That seems long to me, and as I recall, the pilot told me it should take 12 seconds to ease the throttle forward in a smooth steady application.

fliger747
March 11th, 2018, 09:01
Indeed there would be limitations for crosswind takeoffs. In that era a lot of technique was passed down by word of mouth. As far as any FS taildragger and especially real world ones, judicious application of throttle is quite essential, there will be a point at which the rudders become effective and one can begin adding more power, you will feel this as finally being able to slack of on the rudder, then more power can be added till further in the takeoff run one achieves a rudder/trim condition that will be stable in initial climb. It is essential that a proper rudder trim setting be applied prior to takeoff initiation.

Typically one might not have full power applied till you have maybe 45-50 knots airspeed. Indeed asymmetric power application is easier and often using a little wrist action rather than a lot of leg muscle. I at one time had a nice multi throttle joystick and even in the sim an elegant technique.

Cheers: Tom

aspen31
March 11th, 2018, 11:00
Hi all
Interesting video. In my limited experience with similar airplanes (Beech 18) I only remember having to stand on the appropriate brake to keep straight - of course dealing with far less power. Easing the power on in the PV2 in fact makes the take off fairly realistic and the whole package quite immersive
Thanks
Warren

r678idtyj
March 11th, 2018, 11:36
Would it be possible to set the VC windows material to be visible from the inside? Somehow I always found the full transparency from the vc a bit odd.
Old Plexiglas should at the very least remind you it's there. :wavey:

That's of course assuming that there are polys there, if not, well it's not that big a deal.

Milton Shupe
March 11th, 2018, 16:44
Would it be possible to set the VC windows material to be visible from the inside? Somehow I always found the full transparency from the vc a bit odd.
Old Plexiglas should at the very least remind you it's there. :wavey:

That's of course assuming that there are polys there, if not, well it's not that big a deal.

Of course, easy to do. My experience has been that most prefer a clear view.

The key is to not use exterior or moving reflections. I put interior windows in some aircraft, like the Mallards that also have some barely visible imperfections, and no one complained. :-)

Like to hear from others on this.

MZee1960
March 11th, 2018, 18:05
Of course, easy to do. My experience has been that most prefer a clear view.

The key is to not use exterior or moving reflections. I put interior windows in some aircraft, like the Mallards that also have some barely visible imperfections, and no one complained. :-)

Like to hear from others on this.

+1000 !

After downloading and installing Aerosoft's beautiful twotter extended, the first thing I did was spend the next several days (yes .... days !) surfing the web for a 'solution' to the hazy, dusty appearance of the glass from the VC which made everything seem as if the windows were a bit fogged up. Then I finally came across a file which portrayed the glass transparency back as clean and clear, with just a few small 'dust droplets' here and there ! Now I can finally see all the scenery I paid hundreds of $'s for in it's glory while flying one of my favourite STOL AC's .

Jafo
March 11th, 2018, 18:53
I go to great pains to add glass to the 2D panels I do....just to add some semblance of realism....to make you feel like you are inside the plane, not sitting on a wing somewhere...;)

So for me....give me some indication of VC glass....every time....just not too much that you're wiping your hand over the monitor to see where you are going....or what you're about to run into...;)

thefrog
March 11th, 2018, 23:55
I would definitely always like to see some indication that there is glass in the vc - it only needs to be very subtle, either some reflection, scratches or spots of dirt. Otherwise, without anything, it seems unrealistic like there is no glass in the windows. People argue that in real life the windows are spotless, but this isn't real life and we need all the visual cues we can get to produce a feeling of immersion from a 2D monitor.

wombat666
March 12th, 2018, 00:00
I know this is FSX but after the first test flight in P3Dv4 I decided a couple of screenies might be in order.
Flying out of Stockholm early evening and IMHO looking good.
And FWIW, I too like ever so slightly grubby glazing, RealAir do it just right with their Beech 60 Turbo Duke.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1374x744q90/r/924/719EOd.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1375x744q90/r/922/2RT2sE.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1375x744q90/r/922/b97rtO.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1374x744q90/r/922/9lTrLM.jpg

J.Case
March 12th, 2018, 10:23
Gerard,

Thanks for your comments.

I do not have proper fuel tank selectors and fuel transfer capabilities as I do not have a gauge programmer.
None of the default xml code matches up with the Harpoon.

In FSXA, I did go to the Beaver and turn OFF fuel.
I came back to the Harpoon and used cntrl+e to start without issues so that obviously turns on fuel to ALL.

From there, fuel usage uses the standard MS fuel tank usage sequence.

Maybe you have P3D and that works differently?

EDIT: Also, with all the tank options, the Harpoon is set up so that all tanks feed the center tanks from where the engines are directly fed via engine-driven pumps. OF course, booster pumps are available as needed. Secondly, fuel may be pumped from any tank to any engine.

Does someone have any information on just how the Fuelsystem is supposed to work ? :stupid:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58898&stc=1

Bjoern
March 12th, 2018, 12:27
Does someone have any information on just how the Fuelsystem is supposed to work ? :stupid:

Open valve, turn on associated fuel pump?

Milton Shupe
March 12th, 2018, 14:33

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58898&stc=1

Yes, I do in the Pilot's Operating Handbook.

I uploaded it for you.
Starts on page 18 I think.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/PilotsHandbook.zip

gaab
March 12th, 2018, 14:51
After downloading and installing Aerosoft's beautiful twotter extended, the first thing I did was spend the next several days (yes .... days !) surfing the web for a 'solution' to the hazy, dusty appearance of the glass from the VC which made everything seem as if the windows were a bit fogged up. Then I finally came across a file which portrayed the glass transparency back as clean and clear, with just a few small 'dust droplets' here and there ! Now I can finally see all the scenery I paid hundreds of $'s for in it's glory while flying one of my favourite STOL AC's .

Would you accept to share this file for the vc glass. I am missing this same "fix".

Gérard

MZee1960
March 12th, 2018, 20:11
Hi Gerard,

No problem.
I came across this by chance after I downloaded some of Hani's beautiful repaints and found out his repaints had the clean glass I liked so much.
Go to this site (or any of the other sites he has listed at this location) : http://hanimichal.wixsite.com/myaddonsfsx
Download the 'Susi Air' livery for the Twin Otter DHC-6 300 Wheel version.

This video by scisimmer shows what the glass should look like when looking out from the VC (clear glass with only a few little specks of dust) :

https://youtu.be/6eE5Zt-WD44

gaab
March 13th, 2018, 02:36
Hello MZee1960,

Thank you very much :)

Gérard

J.Case
March 13th, 2018, 13:23
Yes, I do in the Pilot's Operating Handbook.

I uploaded it for you.
Starts on page 18 I think.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/PilotsHandbook.zip

==>awesome :jump: ==> we´ve got a WIP . . .

Bjoern
March 14th, 2018, 06:58
Hooooo boy, that fuel system is a bit head crunching.

E.g:
User interaction:
Set transfer valve to "cabin"

Gauge logic:
Check cabin tank for fuel.
If fuel is present in tank and tranfer pump is on, set FSX fuel selector to cabin tank.
If no fuel is present in tank or transfer pump is off, set FSX fuel selector to forward center section tank.

If the transfer valve is set to "cabin" and the cabin tank contains fuel and the transfer pump is off and you're drawing from the front center section tank: If you switch on the transfer pump, you will have to set the fuel selector to the cabin tank and replenish the front center tank at the same time. (I assume that the ouput pressure of the transfer pump is higher than the one of the engine driven or booster pumps.) And that's where you'll need XMLTools.

Having the emergency bypass on ignores the front central tank and transfer pump for the FSX fuel selector, but you will (and should) run into trouble when you select an empty tank since there is no forward center tank as a fallback.

For cross feeding, I'd simply match the left FSX fuel selector to the tank used by the right fuel selector if the left booster pump is off and set the left FSX selector to the front center tank if the left booster pump is on. With a bit of XMLTools trickery, one can even account for reduced fuel flow from the left tank.

Fuel systems like these are probably the reason why I stick to aircraft with three tanks at most. :mixed-smiley-010:

Milton Shupe
March 14th, 2018, 10:18
Unless someone wishes to add bomb bay and cabin tanks, the flow is much simpler.
Those tanks do not exist in the package now.

So wing mains and externals flow to the center tanks that feed the engines.
That flow is automatic in flight sim.

Even with an engine out, fuel will still flow to the center tanks and maintain balance in the simulator.

In the real world, certainly all those options were necessary in the event of damage to lines or center tanks.

I do not see that as necessary for the sim.

That would be a lot of complexity and work for nothing IMO.

EDIT: Glad I tested that as I discovered an oil temp issue in the engine #2 3-way gauge.

J.Case
March 15th, 2018, 01:48
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58954&stc=1
Hooooo boy, that fuel system is a bit head crunching.

Fuel systems like these are probably the reason why I stick to aircraft with three tanks at most. :mixed-smiley-010:

I can't find it that bad . . . .

Plan A: Flow control valve normal

Left engine on on frnt CS lft (116Gal) / reight engine on on frnt CS rt (116Gal)

the frnt CS Tanks are getting a refill from the Transfer Valve/Transfer Pump and the Tanks behind

Giving a fuelburn of about 110gal/h will give you about one hour flight time to get a refill going from one of the other 4 Tanks per side
A check light is telling you, when the selected tank is empty - e.g. doesn't provide fuel pressure at the transfer pump

The magnificent Sir Dr Naegele did something like that on the terrific BT-67 (M.Jahn) about 10 years ago with one auxtank in the wing - so it's basically study and learn / copy and paste . . .

Just-in-case you've got 'real engine' doing it's stuff, the Crossfeed Valve will supply the fuel from the other side . . .

So while the guys at Lockheed cramped fuel tanks into every available corner of the aircraft, your task while flying is reduced to check the 'selector indicator light' every hour or so and select a new tank if it's on - incredibly simple and easy enough for a 19/20 year old riding the stormy waves under the northern light some 700miles away from home port on the lookout for bad boys !

Suggestion for starters: hook up the engines to FUEL TANK LEFT MAIN / FUEL TANK RIGHT MAIN with 650gal each - until the fuel system is done

Plan B: Flow control valve emergancy

The booster- and/or transfer pump is gone west / the frnt CS Tank resambles a swiss cheese (no pun intended - after all it's a military aircraft) / the electrics went with the booster pump . . . . .etc

Now you can bypass the frnt tank and sip directly from the selected tank without the 116Gal/1H buffer in between with the added fun of flying a glider once in a while until you get it restarted on the next tank - one out of ten . . .

At this point I'd like to adapt to Miltons opinion . . . . . . just reducing the fuel connection to the center tank prevents any further development

Just my two cents . . . .

Bjoern
March 15th, 2018, 10:42
Unless someone wishes to add bomb bay and cabin tanks, the flow is much simpler.
Those tanks do not exist in the package now.

So wing mains and externals flow to the center tanks that feed the engines.
That flow is automatic in flight sim.

Even with an engine out, fuel will still flow to the center tanks and maintain balance in the simulator.

In the real world, certainly all those options were necessary in the event of damage to lines or center tanks.

I do not see that as necessary for the sim.

That would be a lot of complexity and work for nothing IMO.

Technically, the sim only draws from tanks in a certain order (external -> aux -> wing -> center) and there is no active flow. The FS2000 Concorde had a fuel pump for pumping fuel between tanks, but the associated variables and events don't work in FSX.

While not necessary in the sim, more complex fuel management adds a bit of excitement to flying.

Plan A: Flow control valve normal

Left engine on on frnt CS lft (116Gal) / reight engine on on frnt CS rt (116Gal)

the frnt CS Tanks are getting a refill from the Transfer Valve/Transfer Pump and the Tanks behind

Giving a fuelburn of about 110gal/h will give you about one hour flight time to get a refill going from one of the other 4 Tanks per side
A check light is telling you, when the selected tank is empty - e.g. doesn't provide fuel pressure at the transfer pump

The magnificent Sir Dr Naegele did something like that on the terrific BT-67 (M.Jahn) about 10 years ago with one auxtank in the wing - so it's basically study and learn / copy and paste . . .

Copy-paste is too simple.

You can indeed set the fuel selectors to only ever draw from the front center section tanks, but you'll have to replenish them from the other tanks somehow by using XMLTools or Doug Dawson's Fuel Dump gauge (yes, it also works in reverse) if you want to make this available to the FS9ers.

Just-in-case you've got 'real engine' doing it's stuff, the Crossfeed Valve will supply the fuel from the other side . . .

In the above scenario, this is as simple as assigning the opposite side's tank to the fuel selector that's being cross fed. You can use the example code from FSDev for that without much or even any modifiaction.

Plan B: Flow control valve emergancy

The booster- and/or transfer pump is gone west / the frnt CS Tank resambles a swiss cheese (no pun intended - after all it's a military aircraft) / the electrics went with the booster pump . . . . .etc

Now you can bypass the frnt tank and sip directly from the selected tank without the 116Gal/1H buffer in between with the added fun of flying a glider once in a while until you get it restarted on the next tank - one out of ten . . .

No sane pilot would switch tanks for both engines at the same time.

AussieMan
March 16th, 2018, 03:06
Milton, is there going to be a paintkit for the Ventura? Or have I missed it somewhere along the line. I am assuming I may have missed it as I don't have it in my paint work folder.

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2018, 03:35
Milton, is there going to be a paintkit for the Ventura? Or have I missed it somewhere along the line. I am assuming I may have missed it as I don't have it in my paint work folder.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=20563&catid=7 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20563&catid=7)

fliger747
March 16th, 2018, 08:28
Note on fuel systems. Usually in an engine out situation IRL some manipulation of crossfeed and pumps will be necessary. The flow differential between tanks of differing distances (i.e. the one on the dead engine side) is very significant. A long engine out flight will keep someone quite busy!

These are a very nice series of airplanes!

Cheers: Tom

AussieMan
March 16th, 2018, 13:48

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=20563&catid=7 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20563&catid=7)

Thank you Milton.

Milton Shupe
March 17th, 2018, 06:42
Just uploaded the FSX Native Harpoon PV-2 Fire Tanker Beta if anyone would like to help shake it out.

Thanks in advance :-)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=23475&catid=34

paul day
March 17th, 2018, 07:59
Has anybody worked out the coordinates for the recognition lights under the fuselage just behind the forward aerial?

Regards Paul Day.

Milton Shupe
March 17th, 2018, 08:14
Has anybody worked out the coordinates for the recognition lights under the fuselage just behind the forward aerial?

Regards Paul Day.

Which aircraft? My 3-views show no recognition lights on top or bottom on the fuselage.

Do you have pics?

MrZippy
March 17th, 2018, 09:36
Which aircraft? My 3-views show no recognition lights on top or bottom on the fuselage.

Do you have pics?

This is the only light that I see. This is the Ventura. I'll have to look closer at the Harpoon and Lodestar.

aspen31
March 17th, 2018, 09:42
Hi Milton
Unless there are different flight characteristics different from the PV-2 that I should look for the fire tanker flies pretty much the same (to me) as the PV-2. The drop mechanism and drop itself worked flawlessly as far as I could determine. I couldn't make the aliased sound work in P3D V4 so I just copied the existing PV-2 sound over.
All good so far.
Warren

Milton Shupe
March 17th, 2018, 09:53
Hi Milton
Unless there are different flight characteristics different from the PV-2 that I should look for the fire tanker flies pretty much the same (to me) as the PV-2. The drop mechanism and drop itself worked flawlessly as far as I could determine. I couldn't make the aliased sound work in P3D V4 so I just copied the existing PV-2 sound over.
All good so far.
Warren

Same flight model, just weight differences. I also reduced fuel capacity so that the retardant load could be at max.

The alias statement points to the correct Harpoon folder here and works; not sure why it did not work for you assuming you have not changed the Harpoon folder name from HarpoonFSX.

If you did change the folder name, then change the alias statement to be the name of the Harpoon folder, or just copy the Harpoon Sound folder over.

Milton Shupe
March 17th, 2018, 09:55
This is the only light that I see. This is the Ventura. I'll have to look closer at the Harpoon and Lodestar.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59029&stc=1

The Ventura textures show 3 recognition lights just behind the pitot. I assume that is what the question refers to?

If so, I can get those coordinates to you.

EDIT: Light coordinates for the Ventura

front - green
7.302', 0.00, -3.085'

center - red
6.426', 0.00, -3.131'

rear - amber
5.471', 0.00, -3.206

MrZippy
March 17th, 2018, 10:10
The Ventura textures show 3 recognition lights just behind the pitot. I assume that is what teh question refers to?

If so, I can get those coordinates to you.

I'll take 'em!

Milton Shupe
March 17th, 2018, 10:44
I'll take 'em!

Posted above, but here is what I used for the Ventura as a test.

light.12 =7, 7.302, 0.00, -3.085, fx_recog_G //recog - green
light.13 =7, 6.426, 0.00, -3.131, fx_recog_R, //recog - red
light.14 =7, 5.471, 0.00, -3.206, fx_recog_A, //recog - amber

Those lights are old FS9 lights and would probably draw every enemy in every type of aircraft or vessel within 100 miles to shoot your butt down. LOL

MrZippy
March 17th, 2018, 10:53
Posted above, but here is what I used for the Ventura as a test.

light.12 =7, 7.302, 0.00, -3.085, fx_recog_G //recog - green
light.13 =7, 6.426, 0.00, -3.131, fx_recog_R, //recog - red
light.14 =7, 5.471, 0.00, -3.206, fx_recog_A, //recog - amber

Those lights are old FS9 lights and would probably draw every enemy in every type of aircraft or vessel within 100 miles to shoot your butt down. LOL

Thanks, Milton:encouragement: I'll practice my bobbing and weaving:onthego:

b24_witchcraft
March 17th, 2018, 11:45
Just took a quick look at the Ventura just now - very nice work Milton and team! :)

Here's some helpful information for potential painters - http://www.microworks.net/pacific/aviation/pv_ventura.htm

Of course this great speech by Quint from Jaws came to mind too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A

paul day
March 17th, 2018, 12:14
Hi Milton
Thanks very much for the recognition light coordinates, they work a treat. I got my aerials and pitot tubes mixed up. I use shockwave recognition lights which are'nt too overpowering at all. Thanks again.

Regards Paul Day.

WarHorse47
March 17th, 2018, 14:24
Just uploaded the FSX Native Harpoon PV-2 Fire Tanker Beta if anyone would like to help shake it out.

Thanks in advance :-)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=23475&catid=34Got it. Thanks.

One short flight so far, all works except the upper compass ribbon is not visible.

Milton Shupe
March 17th, 2018, 16:50
Got it. Thanks.

One short flight so far, all works except the upper compass ribbon is not visible.

Thank you Sir; looks like I forgot to fix that.

You can, if you wish, correct that in the panel.cfg Vcockpit02 section by replacing gauge02 with this gauge line:

gauge02=ST_Harpoon!magcompass, 804,12,210,204

WarHorse47
March 17th, 2018, 17:11
Thank you. I shall do that. :applause:

mrogers
March 17th, 2018, 19:28

Do you have pics?

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/venreco.jpg

Under the nose of the B-34 survivor in NZ is a row of 3 recogition lights between the pitot tube and the bomb bay.

blanston12
March 17th, 2018, 22:05
I gave the tanker a quick spin and I have to say I like it a lot. I tested it in P3D v4.2.

From the instructions it sounded like I had to click the Retardant Drop Management popup panel to drop the retardant, but when I opened the bomb bay doors using Shift-E-[234] the retardant dropped automatically. Not complaining about that, its not a bad interface, but its not was was described.

Second after dropping and closing the bomb-bay doors the retardant was automatically re-filled and I could repeat this as many times as I liked.

Lastly when I opened the doors on the ground I got this interesting effect.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59033&stc=1

Milton Shupe
March 18th, 2018, 06:20
Good, it works just like it does here. :-)

Yes, the programming uses doors 1-4. And, for some reason, the simconnect programming is not emptying the tanks.

Yes, that's the way the effect looks if you dump it while on the tarmac.

You do not say which version of P3D but I do not believe the effect works well in v2.3+.

If you want to offer advice or programming, I am open to suggestions.

Milton Shupe
March 18th, 2018, 06:22
http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/venreco.jpg

Under the nose of the B-34 survivor in NZ is a row of 3 recogition lights between the pitot tube and the bomb bay.

Thanks Mark.

My statement referred to the Harpoon since the OP did not specify. I do have Ventura drawings that show the lights.

doublecool
March 23rd, 2018, 15:04
Milton for another fine freeware update.

After I download and fly your works, I always end up googleing the heck out of them... just to learn a little bit more about the old gals.

Thank you Sir

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2018, 08:13
Just uploaded the Harpoon Gold release. If you have made changes to personalize your beta copy, be sure to preserve them to apply to this release.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/110694-FSX-Native-Lockheed-PV-2-Harpoon-Gold-Release

Duckie
June 3rd, 2018, 11:15
To follow on with Milton's Harpoon Gold release announcement, the FSX paint kits have now been uploaded. They can be found in the SOH Library in the FSX "Other" and "Utilities" categories.

There are two paint kits, one in PSP format, and one in PSD format, neither using layer groups. Included with each paint kit is a set of bump maps. Be sure to read the README carefully.

Hope you enjoy them.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60789&stc=1 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60788&stc=1

PSD link when approved:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=176&linkid=23673

PSP link when approved:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=176&linkid=23672

Priller
June 3rd, 2018, 11:30
I might have overlooked this particular piece of info, but does this work in P3Dv4.2?

Sorry to bother you with this.

Priller

Duckie
June 3rd, 2018, 11:59
TEXTURE FIX - DROP TANK and other parts on the "miscparts_t.dds" texture for 2 of my texture sets.

Look in the "texture.179-UP" folder and copy that "miscparts_t.dds" file then paste it into the "texture.Dark_Blue_NAS_Olathe" AND the "texture.NAS_Norfolk" folders. Allow to overwrite and that's it.

My apologies for the inconvenience. I was having problems getting the alpha textures just right and forgot to update the ones I had already packaged.

Thanks,
Steve

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2018, 12:02
I might have overlooked this particular piece of info, but does this work in P3Dv4.2?

Sorry to bother you with this.

Priller

Yes, it does.

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2018, 12:40
The upload has been modified to correct the two texture issues mentioned in post#202 above.

Duckie
June 3rd, 2018, 13:29
The upload has been modified to correct the two texture issues mentioned in post#202 above.

Thank you Milton.

Duckie
June 4th, 2018, 11:39
In addition to Nigel Richards' original paints for the FS9 release, which, by the way, look awesome in FSX as well, here are some screen shots of 4 additional paints that are FSX native and made with the uploaded paint kit as a base, and are included in the Gold Release.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60816&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60817&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60818&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60819&stc=1

Duckie
June 4th, 2018, 11:41
A few more screen shots:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60820&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60821&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60822&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60823&stc=1

Duckie
June 4th, 2018, 11:42
...and a few more.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60824&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60825&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60826&stc=1

Duckie
July 3rd, 2018, 11:25
One more PV-2 repaint. This one is from VP-691, NAS Columbus, Port Columbus, Oh. It's based on a photo taken at the unit's annual air show, summer 1954. Brand new hi-gloss paint, all dressed up for he show! It's been uploaded and should be up "soon".

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61542&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61543&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61545&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61546&stc=1