PDA

View Full Version : Deactivating default scenery

JT8D-9A
February 15th, 2009, 02:31
Hi,
to reduce the loading times of FSX and to prevent unnecessary file access, i want to deactivate all unneeded sceneries (also the unneeded default sceneries) by using different scenery.cfgs.
For instance when i want to fly in Australia, only the FTX/OZX sceneries and the default directories from 0802 ..., ASIA, AUST, Base, Global and world would be active.
I think that should work, but FSX is so sophisticated that i'm not sure if i haven't overlooked an interconnection - e.g. AI traffic.. what would happen with an AI aircraft which is flying from Australia to the USA and vice versa? :help:
I'm sure this question has been asked before but i haven't found a really satisfying answer - so sorry for asking again :wave:
Thanks in advance!

GypsyBaron
February 15th, 2009, 10:00
Hi,
to reduce the loading times of FSX and to prevent unnecessary file access, i want to deactivate all unneeded sceneries (also the unneeded default sceneries) by using different scenery.cfgs.
For instance when i want to fly in Australia, only the FTX/OZX sceneries and the default directories from 0802 ..., ASIA, AUST, Base, Global and world would be active.
I think that should work, but FSX is so sophisticated that i'm not sure if i haven't overlooked an interconnection - e.g. AI traffic.. what would happen with an AI aircraft which is flying from Australia to the USA and vice versa? :help:
I'm sure this question has been asked before but i haven't found a really satisfying answer - so sorry for asking again :wave:
Thanks in advance!

I do exactly that...I have several scenery.cfg files with only the
'required' default scenery folders enabled plus those for
the area of the world I want to fly in enabled.

Prior to starting FSX I simply copy the desired scenery.cfg file from it's
appropriately named folder to the fsx scenery.cfg location.

As to AI aircraft, I'm not certain but I now genearlly put the
AI traffic bgl's into the folder for the main airport or region that
they are applicable to.

Paul

JT8D-9A
February 16th, 2009, 07:49
I do exactly that...I have several scenery.cfg files with only the
'required' default scenery folders enabled plus those for
the area of the world I want to fly in enabled.

Prior to starting FSX I simply copy the desired scenery.cfg file from it's
appropriately named folder to the fsx scenery.cfg location.

As to AI aircraft, I'm not certain but I now genearlly put the
AI traffic bgl's into the folder for the main airport or region that
they are applicable to.

Paul
Thanks Paul!
I now use different scenery.cfgs but with the default sceneries enabled because i don't want to lose functionality.
Even with the default sceneries it's much faster. I have gigatons of photo sceneries and FSX seems to read nearly any file (e.g. VFRGenX) no matter where i want to fly.

gera
February 16th, 2009, 08:04
FSX does fine with all scenery "on", no need to change or add anything---I have over 100 Gig of scenery and
it works just fine....

datter
February 16th, 2009, 10:51
Same here, I have a ton of stuff in FSX and no real issues that I think would benefit from all this file swapping.