PDA

View Full Version : Big fall in FPS in long flights

expat
February 14th, 2018, 06:17
Not a big tube flyer but frequently will fly a heavy freighter long haul overnight while asleep and land somewhere interesting the next a.m.

Have good fps steady at 31fps for most other shorter flights, but when I check the long overnight flights the next day the FPS is down to about 3-4 fps. Yikes. Changing views or re-entering the a/c while in the sim does not improve things. Saving the flight and exiting/re-entering the sim (P3Dv4.1) however gives me back the solid 30 FPS. Otherwise PD3 runs smoothly and anomaly free.

Have an i7 4770k Haswell 3.5ghz Quad Core with 8GB mem, GTX 780 with CPU and GFX factory overclocked.

Any others found this?

awstub
February 14th, 2018, 13:20
Is your PC configured to run certain processes over night.....such as virus scans....defragging, etc...?

Not a big tube flyer but frequently will fly a heavy freighter long haul overnight while asleep and land somewhere interesting the next a.m.

Have good fps steady at 31fps for most other shorter flights, but when I check the long overnight flights the next day the FPS is down to about 3-4 fps. Yikes. Changing views or re-entering the a/c while in the sim does not improve things. Saving the flight and exiting/re-entering the sim (P3Dv4.1) however gives me back the solid 30 FPS. Otherwise PD3 runs smoothly and anomaly free.

Have an i7 4770k Haswell 3.5ghz Quad Core with 8GB mem, GTX 780 with CPU and GFX factory overclocked.

Any others found this?

expat
February 15th, 2018, 00:53
Runs a scan only at 2am every Tuesday. No defragging with SSD's.

Daube
February 15th, 2018, 04:38
If it's not a hardware overheating problem, then you might want to look into these 8 GB of RAM which might be a little bit low ?

Penzoil3
February 15th, 2018, 23:06
His video card is really on the low end of P3D 4 specs too.
Sue

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)
[N editions require Media Feature Pack]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer Processor
2.2 GHz
Quad Core 3.5 GHz (Per Core) +

Computer Memory
4 GB
16 GB DDR4/2666MHz +

Hard Drive Space
40 GB, with at least 15 GB on C:\
(3 GB for the SDK)
M.2 or Solid State Drive (SSD) is strongly recommended

Graphics Card Video Memory
2 GB
8 GB +

Graphics Card Other
Full DirectX 11 Support

Other
Administrator Rights (for installation only)
Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2
DirectX 11
1024×768 minimum screen resolution for primary display

expat
February 16th, 2018, 01:43
Rig is liquid cooled and no other overheating symptoms. When I find it running a long flight at 3 fps, exiting and re-entering the sim immediately cures the issue - it then runs at 30 fps (fixed) just fine, so if it were overheated this probably wouldn't happen.

Card memory is only 3GB so that, as well as the computer memory probably could do with a boost.

Dumb question (have not followed hardware specs in a while) - what would be the choice card to upgrade to and has the configuration/compatibility of motherboard slots etc changed from what I currently have for a single GTX 780? Mobo is Asus Z87-K, Intel Z87 Chipset

Also, to move to 16GB computer memory, my current memory is 8GB Total (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP, 1600MHz. Would I just go to two stick of 8GB of the same? Is it likely I could just pop out the old and insert the new hardware?

Thanks much for your guidance.

Daube
February 16th, 2018, 03:07
Memory (RAM) upgrade is quite easy, it is indeed a simple plug&play.
It depends how many memory slots you have too. Currently you have 2x4 GB. If your motherboard has two more available slots for memory, then you could simply add another 2x4GB of identical RAM, that would work right away.

Another important thing would be: what version of Windows do you have ?
If it's Windows 7, you might run into maximum RAM limitation, based on which edition (home / home premium etc...) you have...

expat
February 16th, 2018, 06:18
Helpful Daube, thanks. Winows 7 Professional 64 bit here.

Daube
February 16th, 2018, 09:37
Ah, the professionnal edition is limited to 192 GB of RAM, from what I read. You should be alright :D