ya beat me to it

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 07:26
this is what ive been waiting for

Added helicopter AI capabilities
Added helicopter autopilot functionality

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2018, 07:46
So, if I read the instructions correctly, I have to uninstall 4.1 first, prior to installing this update?

If true, that stinks.....I have so much configured/installed. Am I reading that correctly? NC

paiken
February 12th, 2018, 07:48
Yay...just ordered a new rig, which should be here Wednesday. Alienware Aurora R7 with an Intel i7-8700, 16GB memory, 8GB NVIVIA GTX1080 and a 2 TB hard drive. Looking forward to turning up the sliders (finally).

paiken
February 12th, 2018, 08:10
So, if I read the instructions correctly, I have to uninstall 4.1 first, prior to installing this update?

If true, that stinks.....I have so much configured/installed. Am I reading that correctly? NC

No need to uninstall the entire program. Uninstall the "Prepar3d v4 Client" using the Add/Remove feature that comes with your OS (in Windows 10 they call it Apps) and then install the newer client...you will need to re-activate the install, but no need to uninstall any scenery, etc.

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 08:23

you do a full uninstalled all your settings will be saved on your system and wont be overwritten when you reinstall unless you delete the folders in your users/appdata and program data on c drive

its save to do a lot

if you only do the client, you wont get the new aircraft and rain fx, so you need to install the content for those, i can confirm the new aircraft arent in the client

just make sure you deactivate it first otherwise when toy are finished your activation will require a reset from LM and that can take up to a few days

sometimes its easier to just do the lot, that way you capture all the new content

if you do a full reinstall you will need to reinstall FTX global and your rex addons

regardless there will be several aircraft that wont work including tacpack if you have it

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2018, 08:49
you do a full uninstalled all your settings will be saved on your system and wont be overwritten when you reinstall unless you delete the folders in your users/appdata and program data on c drive

its save to do a lot

if you only do the client, you wont get the new aircraft and rain fx, so you need to install the content for those, i can confirm the new aircraft arent in the client

just make sure you deactivate it first otherwise when toy are finished your activation will require a reset from LM and that can take up to a few days

sometimes its easier to just do the lot, that way you capture all the new content

if you do a full reinstall you will need to reinstall FTX global and your rex addons

regardless there will be several aircraft that wont work including tacpack if you have it

Matt,

Thanks for your reply. So if I do a complete uninstall/reinstall, I would have to reinstall everything I currently have in P3DV4.1?

So much work. Wish there was a simpler way. LM calls it a "update", but having to completely uninstall/reinstall V4 seems to me more like a completely new version. Argh....:banghead:

NC

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 08:58
Matt,

Thanks for your reply. So if I do a complete uninstall/reinstall, I would have to reinstall everything I currently have in P3DV4.1?

So much work. Wish there was a simpler way. LM calls it a "update", but having to completely uninstall/reinstall V4 seems to me more like a completely new version. Argh....:banghead:

NC

no you wont, just ftx global and rex textures (sorry not programs)everything else will remain as you left it

RobM
February 12th, 2018, 09:01
There's lots of tutorials and videos all over the internet. This the tutorial from the P3D forums that I used for the first
update to v4.1. I don't think anythings changed:

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120861

Hope that helps - Rob

sidler
February 12th, 2018, 09:29
Well, I installed the client and I'm told that F1 GTN 750/600 needs to be updated! Now I have to wait GTN 750 is updated!

Dick

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2018, 09:52
Well, I installed the client and I'm told that F1 GTN 750/600 needs to be updated! Now I have to wait GTN 750 is updated!

Dick

But if I understood Matt's comments correctly, if I simply choose the "Client" option, the new helicopters will not be installed? NC

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 10:00
just do client and content and you will get 100% of all the new features and if developers do updates with the new content you are covered

if you want to cover all bases do the lot, LM normally recommend do the lot, but everyone whines, so thats why say as a bare minimum you can get away with just client

blanston12
February 12th, 2018, 10:13
I will certainly be waiting until obrx and activesky make there 4.2 updates. Last time I deleted my P3D folder and re-installed but orbx did not like that so I will running uninstal when the time comes. They stated updates in all three parts although the client has the most so there is advantages in doing a complete uninstall.

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2018, 10:15
just do client and content and you will get 100% of all the new features and if developers do updates with the new content you are covered

if you want to cover all bases do the lot, LM normally recommend do the lot, but everyone whines, so thats why say as a bare minimum you can get away with just client

Got it, thanks. Promised wife we would go to Valentine's Day dinner early this evening (we never celebrate such things on actual days, i.e.Mothers Day, etc.... WAY too long wait times at restaurants!) But most likely tomorrow I will attempt the update! Thanks. NC

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 10:18
I will certainly be waiting until obrx and activesky make there 4.2 updates. Last time I deleted my P3D folder and re-installed but orbx did not like that so I will running uninstal when the time comes. They stated updates in all three parts although the client has the most so there is advantages in doing a complete uninstall.

hmmm im reverting back to v4.1 for a while, she a bit stuttery for me, theres definitely a conflict somewhere with the new content and dlls

however the first aerosoft airbus is due in the next week, they are saying you will need 4.2

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 10:37
that did the trick

with a full install of 4.2 then uninstall only the 4.2 client then reinstall of the 4.1 client, ive kept all new content and no more stutters and sime is running smooth and all my addons work fine

in the next week or so when every one updates their dlls, i will reinstall the 4.2 client

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2018, 10:58
that did the trick

with a full install of 4.2 then uninstall only the 4.2 client then reinstall of the 4.1 client, ive kept all new content and no more stutters and sime is running smooth and all my addons work fine

in the next week or so when every one updates their dlls, i will reinstall the 4.2 client

Ok, now I am confused all over again. I think perhaps I need to take a break for a few hours, and revisit this topic.:dizzy: .NC

spatialpro
February 12th, 2018, 11:02

They already have. Just sign up to FastLane and let FTX Central update itself. All done.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/149669-ftx-central-v3254-with-prepar3d-v42-support/

spatialpro
February 12th, 2018, 11:05
"Ask and ye shall receive" (and "the best things come to those who wait"): http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123106

I've gotta say that LM are brilliant at listening to their customers.

Now, who will be the first to upload a video of AI helicopters?!

"Added support for ground based waypoint and wingman AI"... now those are gonna be phenomenal!

I've also gotta say the download of the full ~12Gb is extremely fast!! :-)

RobM
February 12th, 2018, 11:38
Yes, the "added helicopter autopilot functionality" caught my eye. I wonder if that can be extended to non-default choppers,
including FSX port-overs, or if it's only for the LM default helicopters.

Anyway, I will be waiting a day or two for the dust to clear and third party devs to add patches (I see Active Sky now has a
beta compatibility patch out, with the proper release patch to follow in a couple of days).

- Rob

RobM
February 12th, 2018, 12:31
For anyone that's updated the content part along with the client part, have you noticed any ill effects on your v4.2 SimObjects,
Effects, Gauges, etc. folders?

I was just re-reading the tutorial on updating, and was reminded (and I quote):

"Note: Completing a Content Update will possible overwrite files like effects, Simobjects, sounds and textures that have been Modified
by 3rd Party Software (Add On's)"

I just did do my regular everything-including-the-kitchen-sink system backup, so a good time to upgrade, but I was wondering if anyone
had anything to report. I didn't upgrade the content last time, but I might do it this time for the new default helicopters.

Thanks - Rob

strykerpsg
February 12th, 2018, 15:11
Wow! Mixed news at best, seeing all the challenges that are accompanying the update. I think I will wait till the developers catch up to modifying all their stuff to 4.2 or risk losing some features that currently are working quite well right now.

Thanks for the news.

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2018, 17:13
Wow! Mixed news at best, seeing all the challenges that are accompanying the update. I think I will wait till the developers catch up to modifying all their stuff to 4.2 or risk losing some features that currently are working quite well right now.

Thanks for the news.

Yep, am in agreement for now. I have things working ok, and if something can go wrong, it will happen to me. Speaking for myself..."patience, Grasshopper":very_drunk:

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 18:08
For anyone that's updated the content part along with the client part, have you noticed any ill effects on your v4.2 SimObjects,
Effects, Gauges, etc. folders?

I was just re-reading the tutorial on updating, and was reminded (and I quote):

"Note: Completing a Content Update will possible overwrite files like effects, Simobjects, sounds and textures that have been Modified
by 3rd Party Software (Add On's)"

I just did do my regular everything-including-the-kitchen-sink system backup, so a good time to upgrade, but I was wondering if anyone
had anything to report. I didn't upgrade the content last time, but I might do it this time for the new default helicopters.

Thanks - Rob

none with the exception of orbx and Tacpack, everything works fine, dynamic lighting works better as for effects etc i use >https://www.fsreborn.com/ai-lights-reborn-free-edition

its a handy freeware addon that improves many lighting fx with next to no impact, i now can run ai with dynamic lighting at 100% at major airports light FSDT LAXv2

while most people only say install the client, you are missing the bulk of the updates as they are contained in the content. so far i havent had a content update ruin P3D, right now even though i did a full install and then just reverted the client, I have all new simobjects, fx and fixes, i will do a client update when the tacpack is ready or i get my airbus in the next week, orbx have already patched 4.2

the client just updates the version number and any problems in the core dlls and cfgs, it doesnt add anything additional, every update p3d they have added additional features, aircraft, fx in the content.exe, your shooting yourself in the foot by missing out new features if you ignore the content updates

i use the p3d FB grou, they were telling everyone last update to only install the client, it was only after a few weeks of the new content they all rushed to install it, it pays to read the update details from start to finish as they normally highlight the new stuff towards the end of the war and peace post

mind you the nemeth CH53 that is included is horribly dated, but the new Romeo and hawk helo arent bad, and the several plus additional simobjects are pretty cool

RobM
February 13th, 2018, 06:48
Thanks for that info, and thanks for reminding me about Tacpack; I had forgotten to check. I'll wait a few more days for
the various compatibility patches to come out, and then upgrade both client and content.

- Rob

PS: actually I may wait a bit longer. There's been reports on AVSim that the latest version of FSUIPC v.5.123c causes
stuttering and other problems in P3D4.2, and Pete Dowson is apparently on holidays until February 20th. Rolling back
to an earlier version of FSUIPC v.5.122a reportedly solves the problem. Since my current P3D4.1 is running pretty
well, I may just wait until a proper update of FSUIPC is available.

You can read about it here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/531129-p3d-v42-looping-in-loading-terrain-data/

..and also in the long thread about P3Dv4.2 in the P3D forum at AVSim, roughly pages 5 to 8 (it's a very long thread, and
getting longer).

dharry
February 13th, 2018, 12:21
You can just download Install_Client.msi and then uninstall the Client. Once it's uninstalled, install the new Install_Client.msi and have your P3DV4 Licence ID and Activation Password handy for online activation.

I would also recommend downloading Install_Content.msi, cont1.cab & cont2.cab as this will give your the new helicopters and aircraft fixes. Once again, uninstall the content and then install the new Install_Content.msi. You won't be asked for licence information this time.

All your add-ons and settings should be retained.

I didn't bother with the scenery as it don't change anything in the American and European continents.

If you use FlyInside (Oculus Rift/Vive), you'll also need to download the new version 1.92.

UnknownGuest12
February 14th, 2018, 07:11
Always prefer to do a clean, fresh install. Time to spare and not that many itens to install. Planes and Orbx, no thrills at all. Will wait for new, final, FTX Central.

Regards

LouP
February 14th, 2018, 10:23
Went the update route replacing client and content. Only issue encounterd was with Active Sky but quick update resolved that.

gary20
February 14th, 2018, 18:08
Has anyone seen any documentation on the new AI helicopters and AI wingmen support.
In the Aircraft folder there are two new AI jet (jetfighter27 and jetfighter29) but nothing I can find on what you do to use them as wingmen.
I have found nothing at all on AI helicopters.
Can anyone shed any light.

Best wishes

Gary

LouP
February 14th, 2018, 19:20
Hi Gary,

I was wondering the same thing myself and did a search and notice that they have "scenario ai helicopters" so it sounds like there could possibly be a little programming needed to get them flying. :redfire:

LouP

gary20
February 15th, 2018, 08:16
Hi Gary,

I was wondering the same thing myself and did a search and notice that they have "scenario ai helicopters" so it sounds like there could possibly be a little programming needed to get them flying. :redfire:

LouP

Thanks LouP

I didn't think to look at the scenarios. That would make sense.

manfredc3
February 15th, 2018, 09:30
Active Sky has released a beta update that works with P3D 4.2, and Orbx has released their FTX Central update.

Now I am just waiting for Pete Dawson to return from vacation to have FSUIPC update.

Not until then will I go through the hassle of updating P3D.

I never realized that updating P3D can be so cumbersome.

paiken
February 15th, 2018, 10:23
Just set up my new rig...an Alienware Aurora R7 with an i7 8700 chip (water cooled), 16 gigs of memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8gb) graphics card and a 2TB hard drive. I'm going to add a separate drive just for the flight simulator stuff. Downloading version 4.2 right now, but won't install anything until the new drive is installed. I figure that some time this weekend I may be ready to fly. Good thing I'm not participating in the RTW race.

spatialpro
February 15th, 2018, 11:18
I updated the Client and Content to v4.2. It was a seamless, quick, slick operation. No hassle. I'm a very happy customer. :encouragement: Lockheed Martin have good a good job again :applause:

LouP
February 15th, 2018, 12:55
Active Sky has released a beta update that works with P3D 4.2, and Orbx has released their FTX Central update.

Now I am just waiting for Pete Dawson to return from vacation to have FSUIPC update.

Just as an FYI, I had no issues with FSUIPC after I updated to 4.2. I saw the same warnings but updated anyway and saw no ill effects.

LouP

strykerpsg
February 15th, 2018, 14:43
Just set up my new rig...an Alienware Aurora R7 with an i7 8700 chip (water cooled), 16 gigs of memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8gb) graphics card and a 2TB hard drive. I'm going to add a separate drive just for the flight simulator stuff. Downloading version 4.2 right now, but won't install anything until the new drive is installed. I figure that some time this weekend I may be ready to fly. Good thing I'm not participating in the RTW race.

Congrats, you will not be disappointed. I bought the Area 51, but had serious considerations on the Aurora. The separate HDD for flight sims, is a great idea. Might I recommend an SSD HD instead of a conventional one though? Your access speeds on updating scenery and loading will feel so much quicker.

falcon409
February 15th, 2018, 14:44
Unless your workflow with P3D requires you to do a complete fresh install of the entire version, all it really requires is for you to uninstall the "Client" portion (I always reboot after that process is complete) and then install the new version. . .done. In my case I don't care about new aircraft, I have enough I already don't fly and paid good money for. I fly a lot of choppers but the new AI Heli function is of no interest, neither is seeing raindrops on my windscreen.

Also, I've seen no decrease in FPS and no conflicts with FSUIPC.

semo
February 16th, 2018, 12:34
I used Falcon's method, client only, and it worked fine. I have all my addons outside the program and on another disk to save SSD space. I even have moved many of the P3D aircraft to the other disk to save space. I only left aircraft that are used in the ai bgl. I'm debating whether to install the content. I also want to try moving all the aircraft to outside the program. Anyone else tried to do this?

b52bob
February 16th, 2018, 19:54
One thing I am confused about. If I upgrade to 4.2 does this mean I have to re-download all my orbx stuff? I already upgraded FTX central.

Emile
February 16th, 2018, 20:33
I used Falcon's method, client only, and it worked fine. I have all my addons outside the program and on another disk to save SSD space. I even have moved many of the P3D aircraft to the other disk to save space. I only left aircraft that are used in the ai bgl. I'm debating whether to install the content. I also want to try moving all the aircraft to outside the program. Anyone else tried to do this?

Hi,
I have done that my sceneries are pointed using scenery.cfg, aircrafts are pointed by simobjects. cfg....and so on same for texture, gauges, effects
upgrades are more easy

Hope it helps

DagR
February 17th, 2018, 00:05
Hi,

For those of you that have had the aerosoft F-16 installed in 4.1, LM has done some modifications to their internal model. By that I mean that if you, like me, had the aerosoft install set up in such a way that you pointed the panels folder to the default LM «F-16 Base» folder, you will no longer have LMFD, RMFD and HUD available in aerosoft aircraft. LM remapped the VC panels. Probably more efficient but that means you need to use the internal models of LM in all you aerosoft models folders. That means no external stores seen from the cockpit.
I reverted back to the «old» VCs by first backing up the F-16 base folder from the 4.2 install, uninstalled the 4.2 content, reinstalled the 4.1 content (providing you still have it). Then off course you loose the new helos so what I did was to back up the F-16 base folder from 4.1, uninstalled the 4.1 content again and reinstalled the 4.2 content. Then I deleted the 4.2 F-16 base folder and pasted in the backed up F-16 base folder from the 4.1. That way you have all the new content, save for the F-16 base stuff. The LM F-16 will be U/S but who?s flying an F-16 without stores anyway. You could off course rename the F-16 base folder to something else and then point all aerosoft panels to this folder and paste in the F-16 v 4.2 folder to have the LM F-16s working again.

Best
Dag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jeansy
February 17th, 2018, 03:56
One thing I am confused about. If I upgrade to 4.2 does this mean I have to re-download all my orbx stuff? I already upgraded FTX central.

no you will be fine, unless you unless you uninstall the scenery part, you will only need to re install trees and global base all other sceneries will be fine

SpaceWeevil
February 17th, 2018, 08:45
Hello knowledgeable ones. I've just completed the Client upgrade for 4.2 and it seems to have lost the link to all my add-on aircraft. The directory structure is unchanged - the add-on aircraft are in F:\P3D v4 Addons, all the individual addon.xml files are still there and so is the main addons.cfg in C:\Program Data \ Lockheed Martin. I'd be grateful for any clues to what I'm doing wrong - this was not a problem when I updated the client from 4.0 to 4.1. Thanks in advance

RobM
February 17th, 2018, 09:06
Hello knowledgeable ones. I've just completed the Client upgrade for 4.2 and it seems to have lost the link to all my add-on aircraft. The directory structure is unchanged - the add-on aircraft are in F:\P3D v4 Addons, all the individual addon.xml files are still there and so is the main addons.cfg in C:\Program Data \ Lockheed Martin. I'd be grateful for any clues to what I'm doing wrong - this was not a problem when I updated the client from 4.0 to 4.1. Thanks in advance

There was this note over on the A2A forums about in some cases their planes not appearing in the sim after the 4.2 update, and a fix.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63073

The problem was that in 4.2, LM slightly changed the way the path to the .xml add-ons folder was specified, if you have your .xml folder
on a different drive than C (LM left the "\" off the very end of the path description). The fix is to go to the specified pathways you've added
and remove the "\".

I don't know if this might be the same problem you're having. I haven't upgraded to 4.2 yet, so I can't see for myself.

- Rob

SpaceWeevil
February 17th, 2018, 09:29
That's grand thank you Rob - problem solved :)

Manschy
February 17th, 2018, 14:29
no you will be fine, unless you unless you uninstall the scenery part, you will only need to re install trees and global base all other sceneries will be fine

I simply did a remigration in the ORBX FTXCentral after I noticed missing trees and some weird ground. After restarting v.4.2, all vegetation, textures and ground appear well as before....

b52bob
February 18th, 2018, 05:30
Thanks to all. Deleted client and content and the reInstalled 4.2 client and content. Got a black screen the first time I ran it. Did a forced migration with the new Orbx Central and every thing is hunky dory.

This is is such a great place to get answers. Thanks to all of you gurus.

Bob

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2018, 04:32
Thanks for the tip about FsReborn. I plan to check it out later today! :encouragement: NC

none with the exception of orbx and Tacpack, everything works fine, dynamic lighting works better as for effects etc i use >https://www.fsreborn.com/ai-lights-reborn-free-edition

its a handy freeware addon that improves many lighting fx with next to no impact, i now can run ai with dynamic lighting at 100% at major airports light FSDT LAXv2

while most people only say install the client, you are missing the bulk of the updates as they are contained in the content. so far i havent had a content update ruin P3D, right now even though i did a full install and then just reverted the client, I have all new simobjects, fx and fixes, i will do a client update when the tacpack is ready or i get my airbus in the next week, orbx have already patched 4.2

the client just updates the version number and any problems in the core dlls and cfgs, it doesnt add anything additional, every update p3d they have added additional features, aircraft, fx in the content.exe, your shooting yourself in the foot by missing out new features if you ignore the content updates

i use the p3d FB grou, they were telling everyone last update to only install the client, it was only after a few weeks of the new content they all rushed to install it, it pays to read the update details from start to finish as they normally highlight the new stuff towards the end of the war and peace post

mind you the nemeth CH53 that is included is horribly dated, but the new Romeo and hawk helo arent bad, and the several plus additional simobjects are pretty cool

jeansy
February 21st, 2018, 20:16
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/27314-p3d-v42-helicopter-autopilot/