PDA

View Full Version : A "GSX" type add-on needed for military bases...

Navy Chief
February 10th, 2018, 17:24
I don't have GSX. Looks like a nice add-on, but I rarely ever fly civilian type aircraft; leastwise not often enough to buy that add-on.

But if one could be developed for military bases, i.e. hot refuel pits, ordnance load area? Now that would be cool! NC

strykerpsg
February 10th, 2018, 18:43
+1, great idea indeed!

Navy Chief
February 10th, 2018, 18:53
I am clueless how to work with such things, but as I understand it, software like SODE would allow for animation like this. NC

strykerpsg
February 11th, 2018, 03:52
Admittedly, I too am clueless and just prefer to pay for other people's brilliant work. It's my lack of knowledge that enables my justification at times for spending much more than I should, but always justify that I am paying for their labors of love and attention to detail, not to mention their time spent. It is also why I would never balk at freeware stuff. I always feel elated to have such great artists abounding in the community and companies like Lockheed-Martin have enough forethought to keep much of the FSX stuff port-over capable.

But, in keeping with your original train of thought, it would be great indeed to see something akin to GSX for military specific airfields, though I will tell you that having GSX and REX Airport enhancement set, they do provide some sprucing up on the military fields I do use regularly.

Navy Chief
February 11th, 2018, 04:58
Admittedly, I too am clueless and just prefer to pay for other people's brilliant work. It's my lack of knowledge that enables my justification at times for spending much more than I should, but always justify that I am paying for their labors of love and attention to detail, not to mention their time spent. It is also why I would never balk at freeware stuff. I always feel elated to have such great artists abounding in the community and companies like Lockheed-Martin have enough forethought to keep much of the FSX stuff port-over capable.

But, in keeping with your original train of thought, it would be great indeed to see something akin to GSX for military specific airfields, though I will tell you that having GSX and REX Airport enhancement set, they do provide some sprucing up on the military fields I do use regularly.

I think I have REX airport enhancement addon, (I have too many add-on, bought over the years; some of which are useless now, having made the move to V4). But all GSX would need to do is add military type equipment to their inventory for military bases. I guess it comes down to demand. Not enough people want it. NC

awstub
February 11th, 2018, 08:02
That's a great idea. I wish a developer, like SimWorks Studios for instance, would tackle something like this. They have already made animated deck crew and a driveable tug vehicle for their carriers. I'm sure they could figure out how to do this sort of stuff on land too.
Maybe someone could start a petition so they can see how many people would like to see it?

I don't have GSX. Looks like a nice add-on, but I rarely ever fly civilian type aircraft; leastwise not often enough to buy that add-on.

But if one could be developed for military bases, i.e. hot refuel pits, ordnance load area? Now that would be cool! NC

Navy Chief
February 11th, 2018, 13:43
That's a great idea. I wish a developer, like SimWorks Studios for instance, would tackle something like this. They have already made animated deck crew and a driveable tug vehicle for their carriers. I'm sure they could figure out how to do this sort of stuff on land too.
Maybe someone could start a petition so they can see how many people would like to see it?

I'll do better than that...I will contact Alex directly! NC

jeansy
February 11th, 2018, 14:22
Its been asked dozons of time on their forums including by myself a few yrs back

It cant beacause it goes of the data and parking codes on the afacad

Since afacds dont have the data the says its a civil or mil base there is no way for the program to differentiate bewtween the two

Even a helo director has be asked for helipads or landing spots to no avail

You guys should get on thier forums and read the addon suggestion thread it normslly has a dozen plus posts of ideas a day for the past several yr its been available

Navy Chief
February 11th, 2018, 15:29
Its been asked dozons of time on their forums including by myself a few yrs back

Since afacds dont have the data the says its a civil or mil base there is no way for the program to differentiate bewtween the two

You guys should get on thier forums and read the addon suggestion thread it normslly has a dozen plus posts of ideas a day for the past several yr its been available

I guess I don't understand. There are payware sceneries with animated gateways and hangar doors. There are a lot of things in add-ons now that we didn't believe possible a few years ago. NC

awstub
February 11th, 2018, 17:10
Oh Ye, of little faith....
It was said that AI couldn't take off and land from moving carriers too....yet SWS has managed to do it.

Navy Chief
February 11th, 2018, 20:16
It was said that AI couldn't take off and land from moving carriers too....yet SWS has managed to do it.

Yep. And I messaged Alex (Simworks) expressing this idea to him. NC

fsafranek
February 11th, 2018, 21:05
I don't know:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_gsx.html

:ernaehrung004:

jeansy
February 11th, 2018, 21:07

You cant make a dev, develop something theyre not really interest in

I pushed for mil gsx then they went quiet and stop replying, they have done the same will a few similar requests

if theyre not interested, theyre not interested

there has been very little action on the addition of addons within GSX, de icers where the last major improvement and that was yrs ago

jeansy
February 11th, 2018, 22:48
I don't know:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_gsx.html

:ernaehrung004:

really frank? your missing out

scotth6
February 11th, 2018, 23:34

Military parking spots are actually specified in AFCADs and Aircraft.cfgs.

So I am thorough I will include a quote from jvile on FSDeveloper:

"
MIL_COMBAT comes from the Aircraft SDK and goes in the aircraft.cfg / fltsim.n / atc_parking_types= line. The allowable entires in FSX and FS2004 are:

RAMP
CARGO
GATE
DOCK
MIL_CARGO
MIL_COMBAT

The RAMP_MIL_COMBAT comes from the BGLComp SDk and goes in the TaxiwayParking node properties. The allowable entries in FSX are:

NONE
DOCK_GA
FUEL
GATE_HEAVY
GATE_MEDIUM
GATE_SMALL
RAMP_CARGO
RAMP_GA
RAMP_GA_LARGE
RAMP_GA_MEDIUM
RAMP_GA_SMALL
RAMP_MIL_CARGO
RAMP_MIL_COMBAT
VEHICLE
"

So airports themselves are not specified as military or civilian (apart from the name) but a military airport and in particular it's parking spots can be identified by the above labels. GSX in particular takes info from the parking spot such as size, type of parking (gate or ramp) etc, so it should be able to differentiate with a military parking spot too.

As you all said though, it really needs a developer of this type of addon to be interested in military ground services. It would be cool to have it as an option. FS2Crew are in the process of creating "Ultimate Ground Crew X", maybe someone should ask them (? Bryan) to have a look at it while the product is in development. I'm not sure how that product is going to work, but hopefully it is not restricted to separate aircraft only like FS2Crew, and has an option to be used on a global scale. I do like FS2Crew, and GSX, so to have a product which implements both ideas, and adds military ground services, would be really cool.

Cheers

jeansy
February 11th, 2018, 23:58
Military parking spots are actually specified in AFCADs and Aircraft.cfgs.

So I am thorough I will include a quote from jvile on FSDeveloper:

"
MIL_COMBAT comes from the Aircraft SDK and goes in the aircraft.cfg / fltsim.n / atc_parking_types= line. The allowable entires in FSX and FS2004 are:

RAMP
CARGO
GATE
DOCK
MIL_CARGO
MIL_COMBAT

The RAMP_MIL_COMBAT comes from the BGLComp SDk and goes in the TaxiwayParking node properties. The allowable entries in FSX are:

NONE
DOCK_GA
FUEL
GATE_HEAVY
GATE_MEDIUM
GATE_SMALL
RAMP_CARGO
RAMP_GA
RAMP_GA_LARGE
RAMP_GA_MEDIUM
RAMP_GA_SMALL
RAMP_MIL_CARGO
RAMP_MIL_COMBAT
VEHICLE
"

So airports themselves are not specified as military or civilian (apart from the name) but a military airport and in particular it's parking spots can be identified by the above labels. GSX in particular takes info from the parking spot such as size, type of parking (gate or ramp) etc, so it should be able to differentiate with a military parking spot too.

As you all said though, it really needs a developer of this type of addon to be interested in military ground services. It would be cool to have it as an option. FS2Crew are in the process of creating "Ultimate Ground Crew X", maybe someone should ask them (? Bryan) to have a look at it while the product is in development. I'm not sure how that product is going to work, but hopefully it is not restricted to separate aircraft only like FS2Crew, and has an option to be used on a global scale. I do like FS2Crew, and GSX, so to have a product which implements both ideas, and adds military ground services, would be really cool.

Cheers

yeah ive used that argument as im not a newbie scott, ive been playing around with afacds since fs2002 however there has only been a handful of us to request it/ bug them then pest them when they were requesting ideas for additions, we flew that flag and had come backs to thier answers to no avail, just to get deciers only

no point flogging a dead horse, just like Daubes efforts with Aeroplane heaven for Tacpack integration

at present the only thing you can do is use the paint kits the paint default to vehicles and assign them to MIL Cargo and MIL combat spots and your desired aircraft. You can download that addon there or somewhere like avsim.

trust me since the day it was released this is a topic that appears every few months that becomes letters and words in cyber space with no end product create a facebook page asking for a million likes to forward on to them saying you want them,

Manschy
February 12th, 2018, 01:18
My 50 cent:

Everything is possible, depending on what you are looking for or what limitation you are about to accept. Those days I created the RAF Gutersloh scenery for FS9, I managed fuel truck models animated by NAV frequencies. They were built in Gmax, simply moving on a spline. I rejected this project just because my skills weren't (and are lol) good enough for a serious release...
Certainly, you can manage cars, loading scenes or animated GSE much better by SODE now. I don't see any restrictions for a mil GSX version when it's running on military air bases in stand-alone. Where no civil aircraft land, no civil GSX is needed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but GSX comes with some few payware airports where GSX work with - using GSX doesn't mean you are able to run GSX on all airports you want. So why not with MilGSX (wow, I like this word, sounds like a copyright affair near future :very_drunk: :biggrin-new: ) only on selected military air bases?
In my opinion anyway, it just depends on a designer who is about to start with :applause:

jeansy
February 12th, 2018, 02:12
FFS im not saying its impossible, im saying there is next to no interest from FSDT doing it or anyone soon

@Manfred, as long as it has a afcad it will work both payware or freeware or default, hence why GSX owner detest addon airports that dont include afcads

there is a mil set of paints already done via paintkits, the addition of mil specific items like stores loaders etc, they have no interest in as they target the civil community as it was a global alternative to Aerosoft AES where you had to pay for airport credits in order for it to work with

im done flogging this horse, before it was released i was active on the forums seeking additional items and the next 12mths while they look to include additional items, for the mil flyer the best we got was a paint kit where olive drab and yellow vehicles where painted.

after reading the how to , you can add those to paints aircraft airline codes as thats how you assign paints to aircraft, types are based on the size of the aircraft

and for FSDT to share their coding in order someone to make money off their work, reading the early posts they stated it took them years to fine tune the RC, it would be far easier for developers to include such vehicles in their releases, as the number of warbirds, types of stores and zyx location to enter for a 3rd party to create from scratch, knowing it takes over a year at times just for a aircraft to be developed , number crunching alone will take for ever

pessimistic yes but i cant see anything happening soon, I can only base my experiences working for payware devs as beta testers or painters

if anything you want a runtime or java based program like aicairrers that isnt linked to an airport but just a popup window, to have something as complex as gsx will be a joke noting the large scale of variables hence why even GSX is very rigid in the execution and limited choices in comparison to what could be offered in real life

scotth6
February 12th, 2018, 05:02
Here's an interesting thread by someone with the same idea NC.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/military-ground-servicing-requirements.434178/

Cheers,

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2018, 08:01

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/military-ground-servicing-requirements.434178/

Cheers,

Wow! That is a great post! My head was spinning, with so much information; most of which I could not understand:biggrin-new: NC

And that was from 2015

Navy Chief
June 14th, 2020, 04:38
I am bumping this, as I still am interested in this! NC:encouragement:

Cheers,