PDA

View Full Version : Baffling ADE problem

jmfabio
February 10th, 2018, 07:22
Hi all,

As some of you know I am working on my Morotai scenery. And I have recently run into a puzzling problem. I will see if I can explain it.

1. I initially placed the 2 Pitoe strips where the default Leo Wattimena airport is and located Wama strip slightly to the south according to the USAAF's schematic of that airdrome.

2. Placed as above, the active runway was the west runway on all three runways in fair weather. This was great because according to a first hand account (Morotai, a memoir of war) these were the actual active runways (west runways).

3. With ongoing research of pouring over many, many photographs, I decided to move the complex (with ADE ProKey trial) almost 2 miles to the west to better match photographs.

4. Now with the airports in the new location, the active runway on all 3 runways is the east runway.:dizzy:

Can any one explain this quirk?

And more importantly, how do I get the west runways back to being the active runways?

Regards and thanks,

Joe

IanP
February 11th, 2018, 04:45
The active runway is set by the wind which, by default, is 000/00. The sim interprets this as being a Northerly wind (even though it has no strength) so the runway with the closest heading to North will be active unless you load a different weather set. You can always check whether runways are selected correctly in the sim just by changing the wind heading; you don't actually need to set any strength, but you can, just to make sure. I normally go around my airfields setting the wind to every 10 degrees to test that they are selected correctly.

Don't forget that the default FS weather of 000/00 is an infinitesimally small probability in real life. Real Weather would be a much better test.

If you set the weather to move around your fields, does the active runway change?

Ian P.

Hi all,

As some of you know I am working on my Morotai scenery. And I have recently run into a puzzling problem. I will see if I can explain it.

1. I initially placed the 2 Pitoe strips where the default Leo Wattimena airport is and located Wama strip slightly to the south according to the USAAF's schematic of that airdrome.

2. Placed as above, the active runway was the west runway on all three runways in fair weather. This was great because according to a first hand account (Morotai, a memoir of war) these were the actual active runways (west runways).

3. With ongoing research of pouring over many, many photographs, I decided to move the complex (with ADE ProKey trial) almost 2 miles to the west to better match photographs.

4. Now with the airports in the new location, the active runway on all 3 runways is the east runway.:dizzy:

Can any one explain this quirk?

And more importantly, how do I get the west runways back to being the active runways?

Regards and thanks,

Joe

jmfabio
February 12th, 2018, 05:46
Hi Ian and thanks for the reply,

I checked:

Set at 00/000 active runway is west.
Set at 00/006 (as it was when I noticed the problem) active runway is east.
With real world weather 16/32 active runway is east.

So I guess everything is really as it should be.

I rarely fly with weather as my system sometimes struggles with it. And as I am placing objects I had fair weather so I could judge the impact of object density, etc. on frames.

Thanks again,

Joe

IanP
February 13th, 2018, 00:03
A feeling I know well.

I'm spending half my life at the moment placing markers in ADE, to transfer the co-ordinates to an XML file for SODE... As if there weren't enough acronyms in there, I also have to work out to the nearest degree which runway will be active, so the runway caravans and "T" show up correctly. It doesn't always work! :D

The other funny is with coastal airfields, because the onshore/offshore breeze can cause completely different conditions to an airfield only a short distance inland, but protected by hills or something from the oceanic effect. "Huh?! Why's the wind changed? The wind hasn't changed. Oh. Hello water."

Cheers,

Ian P.