PDA

View Full Version : Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson

Pages : [1] 2

falcon409
January 31st, 2018, 09:04
Now Available for download!!

Awesome job as always Rob. . .thanks for another beauty!! Happy Birthday!!

Roger
January 31st, 2018, 10:06
Thanks Ed:ernaehrung004:

stovall
January 31st, 2018, 10:12
Roger beat me to making this a sticky. Ed, do you have a link to the F9F Cougar?

Rob's Homepage Download the F9F 8 HERE (http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/index.html)

Mike71
January 31st, 2018, 10:59
From someone who has quite a bit of time in the Cougar, I have to say this is a remarkable piece of work, and much of the detail of this technological dinosaur is craftily represented.

A couple of quick points, in no way criticizing this marvelous model -

1. The speedbrake system is very accurate - forward and aft (flap trailing edge) sections work properly. However, when the flaps were lowered, the fuselage set retracted flush and the aft set faired to become part of the inboard (under the fuselage) flap section to become one singe unit (per side). These fuselage sections are perfectly modeled.

2. The gear system works correctly, with the inboard doors closing after gear extension, an open first on retraction. This was a problem In real life on a heavy weight, high temp takeoff because the drag increase was momentary but noticeable at the first part of gear retraction.

3. The hook was dropped by pulling on the "U" shaped handle (actually took three pulls!). The "stinger button" below the hook handle raised the hook to the horizontal position by the hydraulic snubber under the tailpipe, which also acted as a tailskid (lowered and retracted with the gear), and is accurately modeled by Bob. The stinger position still had the hook point sticking a tailhook length back from the tailpipe but horizontal, and had to be pushed forward into the fully retracted position by a flight deck crew.

4. The two sets of aux air doors on the top of the fuselage served a plenum chamber for the dual faced centrifugal compressor disk of the J-48. These doors were spring loaded and modulated to gradually open in proportion to airflow demand when insufficient flow to the compressor was caused by high power settings and/or low airspeeds.

5. With the flaps down, the horizontal tail was conventional, where the elevator moved and the basic tailplane neutral position was set with elevator trim. When the flaps retracted, the whole tailplane become one "flying tail" unit.

This in no way a criticism, just some technical insight into an airplane that had many strange design features, not the least of which was that it was a typical Grumman tank as far as sturdiness was concerned

alain0568
January 31st, 2018, 11:13
-Thank you Rob!
And Happy birthday!:jump:

Alain
-

falcon409
January 31st, 2018, 11:31
Roger beat me to making this a sticky. Ed, do you have a link to the F9F Cougar?

Rob's Homepage Download the F9F 8 HERE (http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/index.html)
Shoot, sorry Tom, did forget the most important part, lol. . .thanks for getting the link up.

Cees Donker
January 31st, 2018, 11:58
Happy Birthday Rob! You made me very happy with this one! Your best model!

:wavey:

Cees

mikewmac
January 31st, 2018, 12:00
Happy Birthday Rob and thanks for the Cougar. :encouragement:

Steven190
January 31st, 2018, 12:15
Thanks Rob
It is a great addition to FSX and Happy B Day

gray eagle
January 31st, 2018, 12:32
Happy Birthday and thank you for the cougar :encouragement:

https://s9.postimg.org/64hpboucv/Capture.jpg

Drzook
January 31st, 2018, 13:05
Thank you Rob for all you do for our hobby!

And Happy Birthday!!! May you have many more! :ernaehrung004:

huub vink
January 31st, 2018, 13:18
A happy birthday Rob and many more in good health :encouragement:

Cheers,
Huub

HarleyDude
January 31st, 2018, 13:27
Rob, Thanks for the Cougar, great ride, completed carrier quals with no problem. A Happy Birthday to you and many more. Best Wishes, Harley Dude

glh
January 31st, 2018, 13:27
Happy Birthday to the Cougar man !!! Great model !!

Bjoern
January 31st, 2018, 14:20
Happy birthday, Rob! And thank you!

Looked for a cockpit familiarization video on Youtube, but only found one about the Blue Angels from back when.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv7wvrTK61E

If someone mods PutPut's R3Y,, you can do some period-accurate AAR in the Panther:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfvZ54xL0pE

strykerpsg
January 31st, 2018, 14:46
Beautiful model Rob. Happy birthday! Thanks for your fantastic warbird.

simtech
January 31st, 2018, 15:33
:jump: Happy birthday, Rob and thank you for the glorious Cougar. Having a lot of fun with it, particularily on carriers. Thank you. Terry

Sundog
January 31st, 2018, 15:43
Thanks Rob :) and :birthday:

Jafo
January 31st, 2018, 18:02
Thanks Rob :) and :birthday:

And it's a 'ditto' from me..;)

Cees Donker
January 31st, 2018, 19:34
I must be doing something wrong: after a few minutes the engine stops, though I have enough fuel. Fuel flow is on and there is no overheating. I fly it in FSX.

:gameoff::dizzy:

Cees

Josh Patterson
January 31st, 2018, 19:56
I must be doing something wrong: after a few minutes the engine stops, though I have enough fuel. Fuel flow is on and there is no overheating. I fly it in FSX.

:gameoff::dizzy:

Cees
Do you start the engine manually? If so try (the horror) CTRL-E. That's how I've started it on my first few flights. With tanks there's enough fuel to get from Oshkosh to NAS Pensacola. (Just.) I used time compression, but mine's stayed running so far.

Cees Donker
January 31st, 2018, 20:26
It was already running. I checked all the switches.

Cees

Josh Patterson
January 31st, 2018, 21:05
Well, I've done a few short flights and one XC flight from KOSH to KNPA. I really like the way the Cougar turned out. It pairs very well with my VS Panther and performance is about what I expected. The Cougar has around 1200 extra pounds of thrust but the empty weight us up by almost the same so it's really not noticeable which is probably as it should be. I haven't tried any stalls and definitely no spins. (Back in the 90's a guy in the modelling club had flown Cougars. He said if you get in a spin below 12,000' you'd better vacate the jet because it would probably not recover.) It does however fly a demo routine VERY well! Rob did a great job setting it up. Nothing is twitchy. (Sometimes I get planes that if I pull back even a little on the stick I'd get almost full deflection of the elevators. Early release of the Milviz F-4 was about the worst.) This is one of the few planes I have that I can execute an 8 point roll smoothly in. There aren't many planes in my hangar that I haven't tweaked and the Cougar is no exception. I swapped the sound and smoke effect out with one from the VS Panther. The Panther used a J42 (RR Nene) while the Cougar used the larger but very similar J48 (RR Tay) so I would think they would sound very similar and probably smoke about the same. I also added to flap positions. One at 10 degrees and one more at 15 just for a little more flexibility in the pattern. Getting the Cougar on the deck is pretty easy. Get your power and trim set up and it will almost land itself! Just rock solid. When it's time for a cat shot a bridle is visible and that's a nice touch! I don't know if I can adjust the power of the launch or if I need to trim the plane a little nose down but on launch this thing really tips back on its tail.
With the Cougar now in the hangar let's do a roll call. FJ1 Fury, Banshee, Panther, Skyknight, Cutlass, Cougar, Skyray, Demon, Crusader, Tiger, Phantom, Tomcat. Looks like the jet fighter lineup is complete except an FH1 Phantom and FJ2/3/4 Fury! (And maybe the F6U as it did see very limited service, so I guess it counts.) The attack side is pretty well accounted for as well with the A-3, A-4, A-5, A-6 and A-7 accounted for (and maybe the AJ2 Savage as it did have a jet.)

robcarrich
January 31st, 2018, 22:49
If its accuracy your after Josh you will find the Cougar had just one notch of flap at 22degs for the outboard and 40degs for inboard, no intermediate flap setting can be made, that is according to the pilots notes.

RobR

Mike71
February 1st, 2018, 01:39
Rob is correct - flaps were either UP or DOWN. Always down for takeoff and landing, period.

robcarrich
February 1st, 2018, 02:10
Rob is correct - flaps were either UP or DOWN. Always down for takeoff and landing, period.

Mike, thank you for the knowledgeable first hand information.
Take-off must have needed very precise handling, I would imagine hitting the ground with the tailskid was a problem waiting to happen?
What was the normal take-off speed on a warm summer day?

RobR

Josh Patterson
February 1st, 2018, 03:43
If its accuracy your after Josh you will find the Cougar had just one notch of flap at 22degs for the outboard and 40degs for inboard, no intermediate flap setting can be made, that is according to the pilots notes.

RobR
Ahh! I was going off the flap gauge on the panel! Two flap positions IS easier to remember than four! (Just like the EE Lightning I guess!) Either way I still love it!

Penz
February 1st, 2018, 03:43
Thank you and happy birthday Rob! :ernaehrung004:

PhantomP
February 1st, 2018, 04:19
Happy Birthday Rob,and thanks for this amazing gift.:very_drunk:

Bjoern
February 1st, 2018, 05:48
I have enough fuel.

In all the tanks?

Mike71
February 1st, 2018, 06:19
Mike, thank you for the knowledgeable first hand information.
Take-off must have needed very precise handling, I would imagine hitting the ground with the tailskid was a problem waiting to happen?
What was the normal take-off speed on a warm summer day?

RobR

Rob - takeoff speed (knots indicated) did not vary with temp; I realize most civilian aircraft vary this for climbout capability/engine loss, but not in Navy tactical jets in my experience, both in the fleet and as a test pilot, but my flying ended in the late 80's.

Here is what I have from old notes ( speed in KIAS):

TOW (K lbs ) rotate 10 deg
25.0 145
23.0 138
21.0 131
19.0 124
17.0 117
15.0 110

do NOT over rotate - let airplane lift off at 10 deg NU
climb out at rotation speed for obstacle clearance if necessary
accelerate to 150 KIAS / 1000 AGL before flap retraction
gear retraction takes approximately 10 sec - avoid abrupt elevator inputs to maintain safe rate of climb as gear retracts

The tail bumper was never a problem for takeoffs because everyone was paranoid about the danger of over-rotating and causing dangerously increased induced drag from excessive angle of attack.

However, the bumper was necessary because of the very limited tailpipe clearance and a possible nose high carrier landing. Also, the "pull back" from the arresting gear after landing often caused the airplane to rock back on the skag as the retraction process was stopped and the pilot hit the brakes (as signaled by the director).

I will put together some additional performance info over the next few days; the least I can do to enhance your marvelous contribution to our hobby

gray eagle
February 1st, 2018, 07:38
I wonder if the tail hook contact could be adjusted so that the wire is in the tail hook instead of riding up the hook to the tail pipe as seen here on the Midway.

https://s9.postimg.org/64hpboucv/Capture.jpg

Current settings:
[TailHook]
tailhook_length= 4.0
tailhook_position=-13.623, 0.00, -1.489
cable_force_adjust=1.99

robcarrich
February 1st, 2018, 07:44
What program are you using for the arrester wire vis?

fallenphoenix1986
February 1st, 2018, 09:26
Thanks Rob and happy birthday.

Re. the wire animation, pretty sure its a feature of the SWS carriers:

http://simworksstudios.com/products/navy/uss-midway-cv-41/

fliger747
February 1st, 2018, 09:46
The prototype Me 262 was a taildragger and almost wouldn't get off the ground. Especially true of the first turbojets was a lack of thrust at low speed and the extra drag of early rotation, or in the case of the first 262, three point attitude when added to the adverse inlet geometry could prevent acceleration. Not a lot of thrust till you really got going!

Even in commercial jets there is an issue with possible over rotation due to fuselage length. Boeing for instance recommended a two stage rotation, an initial rotation depending on the plane to maybe 8 degrees, the rotation could then be continued to the target for climb out, usually around 13 degrees. The rotation rate was critical so as to allow the struts time to extend as the weight comes off. Even making an improved climb takeoff from Denver in a 737-400 racing down the runway at about 190 knots! Rotating for takeoff would be enough inlet Geometry change to get the over temp lights wink on, the slightest squeeze on the thrust levers would put them out.

A lot of wing on the F9F! Some of my first officers had flown the F9F in flight school back in the day!

Nice plane from a great era of aviation!

robcarrich
February 1st, 2018, 10:00
Thanks Rob and happy birthday.

Re. the wire animation, pretty sure its a feature of the SWS carriers:

http://simworksstudios.com/products/navy/uss-midway-cv-41/

Thanks for that,
I’ve had a look at this software before, the animated wirereally is a nice feature but at fifty bucks its not for this old pensioner!
I can see what the problem is with the wire miss-alignmentbut without the program in question there is not much I can do.
I’d recommend playing around with the hook settings, maybeincreasing the vertical value.

RobR

gray eagle
February 1st, 2018, 10:09
What program are you using for the arrester wire vis?

I'm using the Midway by SimWorks Studio, I used Win 7 snipping tool for screen capture. (P3D V3)

MDIvey
February 1st, 2018, 10:59
Thanks Rob for another masterpiece... and especially for doing an Fsx version

Matt

robcarrich
February 1st, 2018, 11:00
I'm using the Midway by SimWorks Studio, I used Win 7 snipping tool for screen capture. (P3D V3)

I dont have that program unfortunately but the post above yours is relevant, try playing around with the hook settings as described above.
Good luck!

RobR

Duckie
February 1st, 2018, 11:14
Doesn't the Midway carriers come with instructions for adjusting hook hinge point and length to address the visible contact of the cable to hook? Check the pdf docs. I think it's in there.

Mike71
February 1st, 2018, 11:37
For those interested in tech mods to the aircraft.cfg file, my old notes show this

Fuel system: this was fully automatic with the exception of selecting drop tank transfer to the main cell. Their were two fuselage bladders interconnected, but so what. These were the quantities for the -8, as could be changed in your cfg file:
Center1 = -0.0, 0.0, -1.50, 830.5, 16.5
LeftMain = -4.1, -7.9, -0.8, 107.5, 0.5
RightMain = -4.1, 7.9, -0.8, 107.5, 0.5

J-48-P8 engine with 7250 lb thrust

NATOPS data for weights:
Empty Weight (including a 210 lb pilot with flight gear): 12400 lb typical
Max Field Takeoff: 25,000 lb
max Catapult Launch: 24,500 lbs
Max Field Landing: 17,000 lbs
Max Arrestment; 16,000 lbs

High OAT takeoff info - SEA LEVEL (flaps DOWN): takeoff INADVISABLE
OAT (F) TOW Limit (lb) Vr / Climbout (KIAS) Ground Run - Zero Wind (ft)
100 22,000 135 7150
90 23,400 139 7500
60 25,000 145 6700

Airspeed limits: Gear/Flaps/ Canopy open - 220 KIAS
Speed Brakes - 0.95 IMN
No max KIAS or max IMN - limited by airframe drag. However, an extensive g vs speed envelope had to be complied with ("V-n Diagram").With drops or ordnance, I assume at that time it was 450 KIAS / 0.90 IMN, but need to dig further.
I recall gear and flaps being revised to 250 KIAS, but not sure.

I reported to NAS Kingsville for advanced jet training in August of 1965, got my wings in November. God, South Texas can get hot!
I never flew with the canopy open. When Martin-Baker developed the 100 knot seat with automatic seat-man separation, this was no longer done.

I never flew the single or two-seater with external tanks or ordnance except with 25 lb "turd bombs" used for practice. Our single seaters had the two inboard nose cannons removed to reduce weight and maintenance costs.

We typically climbed at 300 KIAS to 0.72 IMN to about FL300 for cruise at 0.72 best range. I will get some better data later. As I recall, we started to comply with what I believe were fairly new rules about 250 KIAS below 10,000 MSL when not in a military practice area.

Remember, this was a centrifugal flow engine with a chubby profile; high thrust to weight and aerodynamic elegance were lacking.

By the time I was flying the Cougar, Navy jets had the AoA system and we used it like religion. It consisted of both a round gauge/ needle and the indexer chevron lite "V donut inverted V", all colored yellow. Today I believe they are red for slow, yellow donut and green fast chevron. They were mounted on the upper left, the gauge under the glare shield, the indexer lights on the glare shield. This is pretty standard on any jet as far as I know.

I never saw a Navy tactical airplane with ILS - we used PAR radar, and in my opinion is better than ILS if the controller is good, which they always seemed to be. We only had TACAN, which is UHF bearing and DME, coupled together and channelized. We used UHF comms, and had UHF ADF, not LF ADF. I believe P-3s had ILS, and the transports did. First ILS I ever used in a Navy plane was when I did the acceptance tests on the C-12B KingAir 200. I had a lot of civilian flight experience as well, so I got that bonus assignment at Pax River. What a good deal.

The Cougar had no autopilot -this was typical in those days. The Navy was worried about pilots in a single-seater dozing off and running low on fuel, and tactical jets in the air for more than a couple of hours was unusual.

henrystreet
February 1st, 2018, 12:12
I reported to NAS Kingsville for advanced jet training in August of 1965, got my wings in November. God, South Texas can get hot!

Mike, please keep it coming! Love to hear more about your training, the local course rules or any other details you can offer.

mikezola
February 1st, 2018, 12:57
Congrats to Rob for another birthday and another beautifully done aircraft! Salute!

-Mike Z.

Roger
February 1st, 2018, 13:16
It would be great to see some screenshots of this work-of-art from some of those brilliant screenshot takers:engel016:

menef
February 1st, 2018, 13:17
Thank you Mister Rob for this gift!!! Very well done! The only question mark I have is about the VOR/ILS indicator (top right hand of the cockpit) : the adjusting knob should move the compass card in order to
set any radial/QDM/QDR but the compass card actually is a gyrodirectional indicating the aircraft heading so it is very hard to understand its indications. I haven't figured out how it works, for sureit's not a
conventional VOR indicator. :very_drunk:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57632&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57633&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57634&stc=1

jamminjames
February 1st, 2018, 13:28
Great job Rob! Thanks for this one. Looks and flies great......

robcarrich
February 1st, 2018, 13:43
[QUOTE=menef;1124675]Thank you Mister Rob for this gift!!! Very well done! The only question mark I have is about the VOR/ILS indicator (top right hand of the cockpit) : the adjusting knob should move the compass card in order to
set any radial/QDM/QDR but the compass card actually is a gyrodirectional indicating the aircraft heading so it is very hard to understand its indications. I haven't figured out how it works, for sureit's not a
conventional VOR indicator. :very_drunk:QUOTE]

The gauge is an old Microsoft ILS (FS9 I think), works OK for me, its the only cab gauge in the cockpit so you could put whatever you like in.
If you need help doing that just let me know.

RobR

Bjoern
February 1st, 2018, 14:37
The Cougar had no autopilot -this was typical in those days. The Navy was worried about pilots in a single-seater dozing off and running low on fuel, and tactical jets in the air for more than a couple of hours was unusual.

What about stick-between-knees?

johndetrick
February 1st, 2018, 17:38
Here's a link to the F9F-8 Flight Manual.

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/search?q=cougar

Crusader
February 2nd, 2018, 02:57

Thanks for the link John . You thinking about doing some Marine paints ?

Rich

henrystreet
February 2nd, 2018, 03:58

Great resource! Thanks.

johndetrick
February 2nd, 2018, 04:06
Got a few in mind. Gathering data now. As good as this, wish we had a two seater. The USMC used a few in combat during Vietnam as Fast FACs.

Mike71
February 2nd, 2018, 05:27
Note the manual is 1955, and some procedures do not account for later mods to the Cougar, especially the Martin Baker 100 knot auto separation seat and the angle of attack system. However, the systems description and overall content is very valuable.

Not all Cougars were equipped the same way. Some were specialized as F9F-8Bs which could carry a "special weapon" as they are euphemistically referred to. These "Bakers" had the LABS (Loft Angle Bombing System) which included various switches and controls along with an indicator that looks a lot like an ILS indicator, but actually was programmed so if the pilot followed the needles he would follow a prescribed pullup and heading profile, the bomb would auto-release at the right point, and the pilot would be headed back away from the detonation at high speed and low altitude. Good luck - these were always referred to as "idiot loops". Later, the A-4, A-6 and A-7 would carry on the tradition, but with much better equipment.

menef
February 2nd, 2018, 05:47
[QUOTE=menef;1124675]Thank you Mister Rob for this gift!!! Very well done! The only question mark I have is about the VOR/ILS indicator (top right hand of the cockpit) : the adjusting knob should move the compass card in order to
conventional VOR indicator. :very_drunk:QUOTE]

The gauge is an old Microsoft ILS (FS9 I think), works OK for me, its the only cab gauge in the cockpit so you could put whatever you like in.
If you need help doing that just let me know.

RobR

OK thank you :triumphant:

falcon409
February 2nd, 2018, 06:28
Does anyone else have an autopilot that is unable to hold altitude? I am flying in P3D_V4.1 and I suspect that this could be V4 related, however I thought I would check. Once I have a set altitude and turn on the "Alt" switch to hold, it starts a porpoise varying from 2000fpm climb to a 2000fpm descent and continues that radical swing up and down until I release the hold switch. It tracks GPS very well as well as set heading, but altitude hold is a no joy! Right now I simply trim to straight and level and it does very well with that.

spokes2112
February 2nd, 2018, 06:43
Hi Ed,

I found at low altitudes and at high (top) speeds it does the phugoid dance. At higher altitudes - smooth as silk. Tested at 5K, 25k & 35k feet.
Some other things I have found that need confirming -
The airspeed indicator, in certain speed ranges, can be off as much as 30 knots.
The Mach indicator seems way off.
Just calibration issues I suspect.

She's a beauty! Watch out you young men - she's a Cougar!

Dimus
February 2nd, 2018, 08:34
Doesn't the Midway carriers come with instructions for adjusting hook hinge point and length to address the visible contact of the cable to hook? Check the pdf docs. I think it's in there.

What Duckie says is correct. Don't mess with the hook attributes in the aircraft.cfg. The animation is adjusted for new airplanes using the SWS tool. You need to read the instructions.

falcon409
February 2nd, 2018, 09:04
Hi Ed,

I found at low altitudes and at high (top) speeds it does the phugoid dance. At higher altitudes - smooth as silk. Tested at 5K, 25k & 35k feet.
Some other things I have found that need confirming -
The airspeed indicator, in certain speed ranges, can be off as much as 30 knots.
The Mach indicator seems way off.
Just calibration issues I suspect.

She's a beauty! Watch out you young men - she's a Cougar!
Thanks Roman. . .I was in the low altitude area. Other things related to flying this in P3D_V4.1, the radios aren't compatible and I haven't found any "suitable subs" as yet (for the VC). Also, aside from the airspeed and altitude, is that all that I should see in the HUD?

Stickshaker
February 2nd, 2018, 10:30
Downloading now! Thank you for this beautiful gift, Rob!

mal998
February 2nd, 2018, 15:23
Great job Rob. Thanks and happy B-Day.

Flyboy208
February 2nd, 2018, 17:12
Thank you very much Rob ! Really enjoying this classic US Navy jet ! Mike :ernaehrung004:

spokes2112
February 2nd, 2018, 18:03
Thanks Roman. . .I was in the low altitude area. Other things related to flying this in P3D_V4.1, the radios aren't compatible and I haven't found any "suitable subs" as yet (for the VC). Also, aside from the airspeed and altitude, is that all that I should see in the HUD?

Ed, in the low alt regim she is a delight to hand fly. The hud I have the same, although the speed seems to be TRUE, thru internal air computers I assume.
The radios - yes... In FSX I threw in my racing pop up for testing. The radios as setup in the aircraft.cfg are for a non-standby type.

IE -

[Radios]
// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 0
Com.2 = 1, 0
Nav.1 = 1, 0, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 0,
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

But calling a stock (FSX) -

[Vcockpit02]
file=Panel6
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=1
ident=
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$pan2

gauge00=KingAir_Radio!Com1, 10, 10, 240, 150
gauge01=KingAir_Radio!Nav1, 260, 10, 240, 150
gauge02=KingAir_Radio!Com2, 10, 180, 240, 150
gauge03=KingAir_Radio!Nav2, 260, 180, 240, 150
gauge04=KingAir_Radio!Xpndr, 10, 340, 240, 150
gauge05=KingAir_Radio!Adf, 260, 340, 240, 150

Which has standbys. On your own try, you could .. As long as radios are the "stock?" (is it in P3D?)

[Radios]
// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1,1
Com.2 = 1, 1
Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

If that doesn't work, make sure the gauge (from stock B350) is in the global gauges directory, if not, find it and copy it over the Cougar's panel folder.
That just may do it for you.

Roman

falcon409
February 2nd, 2018, 20:09
Ed, in the low alt regim she is a delight to hand fly. The hud I have the same, although the speed seems to be TRUE, thru internal air computers I assume.
The radios - yes... In FSX I threw in my racing pop up for testing. The radios as setup in the aircraft.cfg are for a non-standby type.
Roman
Roman, I'm using the Cougar in P3D_V4.1. . . ."dll" and "gau" gauges aren't compatible. That's why I said I hadn't yet found a suitable sub for that array of radios. I can find Com/Nav combo's or single com1 or Nav1 radios but I don't believe there's another group of radios exactly like the King Air set that are either contained in a "cab" file or true 64bit dll's.

As you know there are innumerable freeware airplanes that use that same suite of avionics. . .yet if you want to fly the airplane in P3D_V4.1 you end up with a blank spot where the radios go, cause there's nothing exactly like it for V4.

spokes2112
February 2nd, 2018, 20:50
Ed,

Yes understood.
I'm in FSX but understand the P3D..
You have a stock Beech tree fiddy correct? If, and only if, the 350's gauges are global, meaning they are in the p3d/gauges folder, if they are not... Then a slight hiccup.
If not - go find them, copy those over to the Cougar's panel folder.

The gauge calling syntax is exact from FSX to P3D for the Beech tree fiddies radios. Use the P3D provided units.

Steven190
February 3rd, 2018, 03:42
Rob
I have a quick question on the paint kit, what do you save the .dds as? DXT1 or DXT5 ?

I saved it as DXT1 and the wing and fuselage are smaller than the stock .dds'

Thanks

falcon409
February 3rd, 2018, 04:39
Ed,

Yes understood.
I'm in FSX but understand the P3D..
You have a stock Beech tree fiddy correct? If, and only if, the 350's gauges are global, meaning they are in the p3d/gauges folder, if they are not... Then a slight hiccup.
If not - go find them, copy those over to the Cougar's panel folder.

The gauge calling syntax is exact from FSX to P3D for the Beech tree fiddies radios. Use the P3D provided units.
Ok, I found some gauges that, with some adjusting in Panel Studio, work fine (also, I have no idea what a "fiddy" is and the only 350 gauges I have are dll's which won't work). Back to the Autopilot. . . .I am on a long flight from Key West NAS to Roosevelt Roads, altitude (more or less) is 10,000. Airspeed, adjusted from 300kias to 500kias, the autopilot will not hold a steady altitude on it's own. Initially all looks well, but within 2 or 3 minutes it begins a slow but ever increasing porpoise action that eventually get's so violent that I have to disengage the "Alt" hold switch and take over manually. I have not tested at higher altitudes, but given the fact that at 5000' and 10,000' it exhibits the same lack of control, I doubt an increase in altitude would make any difference.

Brian_Gladden
February 3rd, 2018, 05:17
Look in the cfg file for the autopilot section. make sure the default vertical speed in the autopilot isn't too big. knocking it down to 200 ft a min sometimes helps the ups and downs. also check for a line in the Pitot Static section. should look something like this:

[pitot_static]
vertical_speed_time_constant = 1 //Increasing this value will cause a more instantaneous reaction in the VSI

I just looked at the Cougar's pitot section :

[pitot_static]
vertical_speed_time_constant = 0.3 //Increasing this value will cause a more instantaneous reaction in the VSI

Try increasing to 1 and work from there. Yes it the low number under 1 makes the VSI slower to react like a real static VSI but at the cost of weird autopilot behavior.

falcon409
February 3rd, 2018, 05:50
Look in the cfg file for the autopilot section. make sure the default vertical speed in the autopilot isn't too big. knocking it down to 200 ft a min sometimes helps the ups and downs. also check for a line in the Pitot Static section. should look something like this:

[pitot_static]
vertical_speed_time_constant = 1 //Increasing this value will cause a more instantaneous reaction in the VSI

[pitot_static]
vertical_speed_time_constant = 0.3 //Increasing this value will cause a more instantaneous reaction in the VSI

Try increasing to 1 and work from there. Yes it the low number under 1 makes the VSI slower to react like a real static VSI but at the cost of weird autopilot behavior.
Thanks Brian. I'll give that a try. I'm down at Guantanamo Bay right now to refuel and head to the Chow Hall. I'll pick up the remainder of the flight to Roosevelt Roads after lunch.

spokes2112
February 3rd, 2018, 09:27
Hi Ed,

I have not tested at higher altitudes, but given the fact that at 5000' and 10,000' it exhibits the same lack of control, I doubt an increase in altitude would make any difference.
The air is thinner as you go up, hence less elevator (flying surface) reactive force.

Sorry about the Polish. Was in a Pollak mode last night. Beechcraft King Air B350 is a "bee tree fiddy" LOL!
Anyway, Lockheed Martin provided you with a King Air 350, correct?

That B350 has been around from the MS flight sim series from FS2002 up thru FSX.
That same B350 provided by LM is the same one, except... They re-complied the original FSX\Gauges\KingAir_radio.dll from 32 bit to 64 bit.
The question is..... Where did they put that file?
If it is in the P3D\gauges folder it "should've" worked for you straight out of the box.
I suspect that LM has put the .dll in the Beech_King_Air_350\panel folder. If that is the case the Cougar will never "find" it. (The Cougar uses the same gauge calling syntax)
If so, copy that .dll from the Beech_King_Air_350\panel over to Grumman F9F-8 Cougar\panel and you "should" be good to go. (No FS panel studio needed)

Brian - good call on the VS speed constant!

semo
February 3rd, 2018, 10:49
Ed,

I have both bendix_king_radio and bendix_radio dll"s in my P3D 4.1 gauges file. They both appear in RR's Cougar. Their entry dates are the day I upgraded to 4.1, did you upgrade that section? Maybe they weren't in the original release.

Steve M.

robcarrich
February 3rd, 2018, 13:44
Rob
I have a quick question on the paint kit, what do you save the .dds as? DXT1 or DXT5 ?

I saved it as DXT1 and the wing and fuselage are smaller than the stock .dds'

Thanks

Hello Steven,
The main textures are 4096x4096 and can be saved as DXT5 or 888
You can reduce the size but at a cost to sharpness.

RobR

falcon409
February 3rd, 2018, 14:39

[pitot_static]

[pitot_static]

That fixed it Brian. Rock steady now!

gastonj
February 3rd, 2018, 14:43
Hello,
Good gift, thank's! But, i have some trouble with the AOA (Angle of attack), i think it is too hight for low speed (200 - 250 knots) , am i wrong ?
JMC

Mike71
February 3rd, 2018, 15:58
Hi Ed,

The air is thinner as you go up, hence less elevator (flying surface) reactive force.

KIAS is KIAS at any altitude - aero force (dynamic pressure) is the same; however as airplanes approach transonic region, some pitch reaction starts to vary gradually with increasing IMN because the aerodynamic center starts to move aft and the difference between the aero center to the center of gravity gradually increases - that changes the pitch stability. That's why a powerful flying tail came into being for high speed flight.

Steven190
February 4th, 2018, 02:38
Hello Steven,
The main textures are 4096x4096 and can be saved as DXT5 or 888
You can reduce the size but at a cost to sharpness.

RobR

Thanks for the reply, I love your plane. I just noticed that my dds' were 21xxx where yours are 65xxx. They work in game so was curious as to why the difference.

That was just one issue I have. I have a computer that I do skinning on along with other things just for my own , it is a older computer with Windows 7 pro. My problem is with this computer and FSX I have invisible planes in it, can not see the skins.
I have to put the skins in my game computer to see them. The older computer has a lower end graphics card, which maybe some of my problem. I noticed that most of the third party plane are invisible.

robcarrich
February 4th, 2018, 05:01
Hello,
Good gift, thank's! But, i have some trouble with the AOA (Angle of attack), i think it is too hight for low speed (200 - 250 knots) , am i wrong ?
JMC

Yes you are, the AOA at all speeds is perfect in every respect.

gastonj
February 4th, 2018, 06:38
Yes you are, the AOA at all speeds is perfect in every respect.

Ok! Thank's for the reply.

JMC

Josh Patterson
February 4th, 2018, 08:12
Does anyone else have an autopilot that is unable to hold altitude? I am flying in P3D_V4.1 and I suspect that this could be V4 related, however I thought I would check. Once I have a set altitude and turn on the "Alt" switch to hold, it starts a porpoise varying from 2000fpm climb to a 2000fpm descent and continues that radical swing up and down until I release the hold switch. It tracks GPS very well as well as set heading, but altitude hold is a no joy! Right now I simply trim to straight and level and it does very well with that.
My SR-71 from Glowingheat does this as well if I set the altitude hold before I am already holding a stable altitude. It's like it is constantly overcorrecting for being over or under the set altitude and adjusting the decreasing the vertical speed hold as you near my desired altitude doesn't help. Don't know if that's what you have going on as well, but it's worth a try if you're using the autopilot to climb to altitude.

Cees Donker
February 5th, 2018, 10:49
Can I disable the green hud projection on the aiming glass? How do I do that?

Cees

falcon409
February 5th, 2018, 11:07
My SR-71 from Glowingheat does this as well if I set the altitude hold before I am already holding a stable altitude. It's like it is constantly overcorrecting for being over or under the set altitude and adjusting the decreasing the vertical speed hold as you near my desired altitude doesn't help. Don't know if that's what you have going on as well, but it's worth a try if you're using the autopilot to climb to altitude.
Thanks Josh but it was acting up regardless of whether I was already trimmed to a set altitude and activated it or if I preset the altitude and had it climb to that setting. Brian gave me a setting to check in the cfg file, and after making the adjustment he recommended, it has functioned perfectly ever since.

By Brian: I just looked at the Cougar's pitot section :

[pitot_static]

Josh Patterson
February 5th, 2018, 16:19
Thanks Josh but it was acting up regardless of whether I was already trimmed to a set altitude and activated it or if I preset the altitude and had it climb to that setting. Brian gave me a setting to check in the cfg file, and after making the adjustment he recommended, it has functioned perfectly ever since.
HMMMM, <steeples fingers> I wonder if that will work on the Blackbird as well?

Mike71
February 5th, 2018, 16:32

Cees
A lot of people probably like the HUD for Carrier ops, but aircraft of this vintage usually only had two analogue modes. One was a settable "MIL depression" based on bomb/rocket trajectory tables and estimated wind. The image was fixed once set with the MIL drum on the side of the gun sight.

The other was an air to air mode, which in combination with a settable "wing span / range" lever at the base of the gun sight, used a rate gyro to move the "pipper" image onto the target. When the wingspan of the target filled the span ring and the pipper was ON the target, the rate gyro had computed that the airplane had the lead angle for the 20mm shells to hit it at that range. Still pretty much Kentucky windage!

At the time, air ranging radar was coming into use, along with crude analogue fire control computers. The Cougar did not have such.

robcarrich
February 6th, 2018, 07:26

Cees

Cees just edit out these lines from
[Vcockpit01] in the panel cfg file

//gauge01=GunTest!GunTest.xml,

RobR

Cees Donker
February 6th, 2018, 09:21
Cees just edit out these lines from
[Vcockpit01]
in the panel cfg file

//gauge01=GunTest!GunTest.xml,

RobR

Thanks Rob!

Cees

IFlySWA
February 7th, 2018, 06:45
I spy with my little eye...a screenie of a two-seat Cougar over at Rob's website. :jump:

Brian

MrZippy
February 7th, 2018, 07:04
I spy with my little eye...a screenie of a two-seat Cougar over at Rob's website. :jump:

Brian

You mean the one with the giant toothpick sticking out it's nose? Navy bird....probably a refueling probe.

IFlySWA
February 7th, 2018, 07:36
You mean the one with the giant toothpick sticking out it's nose? Navy bird....probably a refueling probe.

That's the one. :biggrin-new:

Brian

Mike71
February 7th, 2018, 08:53
It is a "fixed" refueling probe. Both single and two-seaters were fitted with them, though not all of them, and not necessarily during production. Air refueling was in its infancy as the Cougar came into being, and the tankers were initially AJ "Savage"s. The development of the 300 gal Sargent Fletcher "buddy store" that could be carried by the A-4 and other tactical jets was a huge step forward.

As the Cougar gracefully aged and transitioned to the Reserves, Training Command and utility use, many probes were removed to reduce maintenance requirements.

The tip of the probe in all Navy planes was common - the same fixture, even though some probes are/were fixed like the A-4, A-6, A-3 etc, and some articulated, foldable retracting type, the tip is the same so that it mates with a common refueling hose receptacle in the "basket".

here is the tip on the stowable probe of a "Harrier" - they are the same on all USN/USMC airplanes:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57798&stc=1

The very tip has a hole for fuel to enter. The hole is opened (by a valve assembly)when the collar at the base of the tip is pushed back against spring pressure by the female ring of the refueling hose basket. When a plane pulls out of the basket, the collar springs forward, closing the hole via valve action.

The circular assembly behind the collar serves to act as a locking device - once the probe is firmly seated in the basket, that assembly allows some airplane motion relative to the tanker without falling out of the basket. The locking is fairly solid, but too much tension, such as purposely backing out after refueling, will cause separation. There is almost always a little fuel spray when disengaging as the collar does not close the hole in the tip instantaneously.

I have to surmise today's F/A-18s have not change a bit - the initial ones were the same for sure. I know the Navy has a newer buddy store these days but I imagine that the basics have not changed.

Hope this is of some help to Rob.

fallenphoenix1986
February 7th, 2018, 10:09

Brian

Happy dance initiated :wiggle:

fliger747
February 7th, 2018, 10:21
The porpoising may be related to the the increment of elevator trim in the .air file. Reducing this value might cure the problem.

A long time ago in a flight sim far away "Old Salt" and I worked on a straight winged F9F which did have some tendency to experience pitch instability at high speed and mach.

I'll look at my installation in Pee Three Dee Vee Four and see if I experience this phenomenon.

Cees Donker
February 8th, 2018, 04:32

Brian

Great! The Cougar is the best work Rob has done and it's getting even better!

:applause:

Cees

nagpaw
February 8th, 2018, 05:21

Brian

I just saw that too! Yipee! Rob's Cougar is my new "go-to" jet, the only one I've touched since it was released. Thanks, Mr. Richardson!

Can someone answer a few questions about the Cougar for me? My AOA gauge has a constant OFF flag, and I can't find how to power it. Anyone know the trick? Also I noticed that my G-meter indicates "0" most of the time, even when sitting stationary on the ground. Shouldn't it indicate "1," or do I have something screwed up?

Thanks again to Mr. Richardson for some awesome creations!

Bjoern
February 8th, 2018, 07:17
I had the weirdest dream last night and something akin to a four-seat F9F (wide fuselage, two separate canopies next to each other) played a minor role. No more kebap for dinner and coconut chocolate before bed. :dizzy:

delta_lima
February 8th, 2018, 07:49
Was able to give this a quick flight, with a few circuits and then a hop out to a 50's era straight deck Coral Sea for a few launches and traps aboard.

Looks great, Rob's design skills are getting sharper with each release, and this one really pays attention to detail to a high degree, especially in the VC. On-throttle response feels good, with the slow spool-up of the J48 modeled well.

My only question relates to off-throttle deceleration - it feels like when throttles are closed, speed decay happens very slowly. Bearing in mind this was my first FSX flight in 6 months, I'm clearly a bit rusty.

I love this bird, and with what appears to be the advent of the 8T, I'm sure that version will make some folks very happy. Certainly, I'm thankful to Rob for any variant of the 8 he'll do, so thanks so much for an iconic 50s era bird.

Cheers,

dl

fliger747
February 8th, 2018, 09:49
As to correct AOA, just curious if there was data available for clean and various other configurations. Years ago I did a 737-200 FDE, for which aircraft I did have considerable Captain time. However the most useful data was the Boeing unreliable airspeed chart which gave attitude and thrust parameters to achieve to achieve the correct target airspeed through much of the flight envelope. Right there in the Boeing Quick Reference Handbook for each aircraft.

Certainly not being critical or even suggesting error but curious as to if you were able to unearth such data, Always interested in new such sources.

Cheers: Tom

Josh Patterson
February 8th, 2018, 11:28
I had the weirdest dream last night and something akin to a four-seat F9F (wide fuselage, two separate canopies next to each other) played a minor role. No more kebap for dinner and coconut chocolate before bed. :dizzy:
When you said "side by side Panther" the first thing I thought of was the Skyknight, but then I read double bubble canopies and thoughts rested on the XB-42 and XB-43. Those would be nice to have in the sim!

Mike71
February 8th, 2018, 12:54
Ok! Thank's for the reply.

JMC

My AoA doesn't seem to move past a couple of units from "0".

AoA gauges were a standard unit as they came into being, with a range of 0 to 30 "units", not degrees (they still are in "units"). There was a settable index mark to set the proper approach AoA for different types of planes, since their optimum approach AoA would be different. However, these index marks were set in the gauge at installation, not by the pilot. The gauge was usually rotated in its mounting hole so that this optimum AoA index was at the 3'o'clock position relative to the panel. This made it easy or the pilot to cross reference it and the IAS (and later, with the indexer as well, above the gauge).

The use of units makes a common AoA gauge practical - also, the use of units provided a magnified AoA scale in comparison to actual angle of attack in the "powered approach" regime, where you are flying on the back side of the power curve, about 10% above stall speed being typical.

Back side power curve approaches are standard - there is virtually no margin of airspeed to decrease rate of descent - you have to control glideslope with throttle, AoA with pitch, other wise you will fall out of the sky. The slow spool up of the J-48, couple with its high drag profile made low rpm, decelerating approaches very dangerous.

IFlySWA
February 8th, 2018, 14:21
Back side power curve approaches are standard - there is virtually no margin of airspeed to decrease rate of descent - you have to control glideslope with throttle, AoA with pitch, other wise you will fall out of the sky. The slow spool up of the J-48, couple with its high drag profile made low rpm, decelerating approaches very dangerous.
Couple this with landing at night on a carrier gives me the willies just thinking about it. *shudder*

Brian

fliger747
February 9th, 2018, 20:15
Slow spool up is the reason high drag approaches were used as the engine remained in a higher PRM range where it was more if not adequately responsive. When modern jet engines have a higher flight and approach idle speed built in. It might surprise you that an approach could be flown most precisely in the 747 by subtile throttle movement rather than elevator or trim movement. The essence is that the correct attitude is set and maintained and it begins to become more apparent that thrust controls the path. Some aircraft will have a little or a lot trim/attitude change with thrust variation. Single engine more or less centerline thrust aircraft ease some of these considerations.

Mike71
February 10th, 2018, 02:33
High RPM approaches were also helped by using speed brakes to cause more drag. The Cougar was one of the few jets not to use "boards" on a carrier approach. You would get a "gig" from the LSO if they had to call you for "speed brakes!" in the groove.

mal998
February 10th, 2018, 07:00
This is somewhat off topic, so apologies to Rob and all, but this website Aviation Archives was a terrific site for downloading reference material until the owner started using FileFactory as a download site.

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post

I have emailed Ron (the owner) and advised him of the difficulty in downloading material from a site such as File Factory. Their sole aim is to get the user to buy a paid subscription to their service. I have offered to contribute directly to him rather than spend money on a rip-off download site.

Vent over.
mal

henrystreet
February 10th, 2018, 07:07
This is somewhat off topic, so apologies to Rob and all, but this website Aviation Archives was a terrific site for downloading reference material until the owner started using FileFactory as a download site.

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post

I have emailed Ron (the owner) and advised him of the difficulty in downloading material from a site such as File Factory. Their sole aim is to get the user to buy a paid subscription to their service. I have offered to contribute directly to him rather than spend money on a rip-off download site.

Vent over.
mal

umm....I was able to download the manual the other day from Aviation Archives. If going to a paid subscription, I would recommend Avialogs.com. Very reasonable, great owner, and lots of reference materials. If Rob needs the Cougar manual, I can provide a link from my online storage.

mal998
February 10th, 2018, 07:46
Thanks for that. I was in touch with Rob at the beginning of the Cougar project and provided him with all my reference material on the aircraft. It was quite extensive and some of it did come from Avialogs. I have been an active paying member at Avialogs for quite some time. Great site.

DaveKDEN
February 10th, 2018, 07:52
Beautiful job Rob - I love these early jets! Is anyone working on a Blue Angels scheme?

falcon409
February 10th, 2018, 08:24
Beautiful job Rob - I love these early jets! Is anyone working on a Blue Angels scheme?
I'm a bit surprised that no WIP shots for any new liveries have been forthcoming. I thought people would really jump on this one.

awstub
February 10th, 2018, 12:31
If I do any, it will be some H&MS-13 paints for the the F9F-8T/TF-9J

I'm a bit surprised that no WIP shots for any new liveries have been forthcoming. I thought people would really jump on this one.

johndetrick
February 10th, 2018, 13:39
I;ve got two finished, a VMF-311 and a VMA 121. I've just been a bit busy lately.

MrZippy
February 14th, 2018, 09:01
I've got two finished, a VMF-311 and a VMA 121. I've just been a bit busy lately.

Any chance of an upload of those textures to this site? Just curious if they are similar in size to the textures done by Rob Richardson.

MrZippy
February 22nd, 2018, 13:00
:ernaehrung004: As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but thanks to Rob and his special skills, this aircraft is a winner+:encouragement: Too bad your 140 MB paint jobs kept me from being able to fly this bird. It sorta killed my computer with CTDs when I chose the Cougar thumbnail in "Select Aircraft" page.

Thank you to Martial Feron for your repaints! Now The aircraft shows brilliantly and flies like a Banshee. Hope you will do the 2-seat model repaints also!

58454 Just click on this little bugger...it'll get bigger!

Flyboy208
February 22nd, 2018, 13:11
:ernaehrung004: As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but thanks to Rob and his special skills, this aircraft is a winner+:encouragement: Too bad your 140 MB paint jobs kept me from being able to fly this bird. It sorta killed my computer with CTDs when I chose the Cougar thumbnail in "Select Aircraft" page.

Thank you to Martial Feron for your repaints! Now The aircraft shows brilliantly and flies like a Banshee. Hope you will do the 2-seat model also!

58454 Just click on this little bugger...it'll get bigger!

2 seat variant is now available at Rob's website ... Mike :wavey:

MrZippy
February 22nd, 2018, 13:57
2 seat variant is now available at Rob's website ... Mike :wavey:

Hi, Mike! Yeah and I'm hoping some new repaints will be available for it shortly. What a fantastic aircraft to fly!:wavey:

lazarus
February 23rd, 2018, 00:12
It's been a golden age this year for new models. These two 'cats really made my year. Excellent, all 'round.
The only fiddle I made was to reduce the texture size down to 1024 DXT3, relieving the strain on my coal-fired box and etch-a-sketch card. 102mb on the HD, which delays imploding that for a while longer.

b52bob
February 23rd, 2018, 07:07
Took the twogar around the pattern a few times at Moffit (remembering from 1958). What a great aircraft. Thanks so much Rob for bringing this to the community.

PhantomP
February 23rd, 2018, 14:04
Finally,I had a chance last night to fly your Cougar Rob beautiful work,and great flight dynamics,thanks for your hard work.

expat
February 24th, 2018, 09:19
Yep.
Flew her straight out to the Orikany and had the nicest approach and trap.
Agree wonderfully set up FDE.
Rob, your ever increasing talent and generosity are most appreciated.
expat

Navy Chief
May 25th, 2018, 07:51
Has a repaint of VA-192 been done for this great model? If so, have not been able to locate. 192 Golden Dragons was featured in the GREAT movie, "Bridges of Toko-Ri"! NC

Memorial Day weekend. Stay safe, shipmates, and remember those who sacrificed for us all.

fallenphoenix1986
May 25th, 2018, 08:03
have not been able to locate. 192 Golden Dragons was featured in the GREAT movie, "Bridges of Toko-Ri"!

Wasn't that Panthers in the movie?
... and Banshees in the book if I remember right... based on an actual operation conducted by Skyraiders :dizzy:

ree repaints, can't say I've seen that many pop up in general, shame as its a really nice model.

MrZippy
May 25th, 2018, 09:06
Wasn't that Panthers in the movie?
... and Banshees in the book if I remember right... based on an actual operation conducted by Skyraiders :dizzy:

ree repaints, can't say I've seen that many pop up in general, shame as its a really nice model.

+1

F9F Panther jets from US Navy squadron VF-192 were also used to film Men of the Fighting Lady (1954). After the filming of these two movies, the squadron name was changed from "Golden Dragons" to "World Famous Golden Dragons".

Would still like to see a repaint for the cougar. Great movie-great plane!:applause:

Navy Chief
May 26th, 2018, 04:49
I had admittedly just installed Ron's Panther the other day. It is GREAT!!! Thank you, Rob!:encouragement: NC

tgycgijoes
May 29th, 2018, 10:08
Let me add THANKS ROB! Also just downloaded the Cougar Manual without any trouble from File Factory. Slow for me was only a 29 second wait and it was downloaded in just seconds. I also downloaded the paintkit and will look around for VA-192 photos though sadly a lot will probably be B/W.

I can't wait to get this on the deck of one of the straight deck carriers off Korea in the 1950's with CCP. :encouragement:

Just found these online:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60679&stc=1
This it says was taken aboard the USS BENNINGTON but my sources do not list VA-192 on CV-20 at any time. VA-192 WAS stationed aboard USS YORKTOWN CV-10 in 1957 so maybe they got confused.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60680&stc=1
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the aircraft in the lead is a photo-bird

MrZippy
May 29th, 2018, 10:19
Let me add THANKS ROB! Also just downloaded the Cougar Manual without any trouble from File Factory. Slow for me was only a 29 second wait and it was downloaded in just seconds. I also downloaded the paintkit and will look around for VA-192 photos though sadly a lot will probably be B/W.

I can't wait to get this on the deck of one of the straight deck carriers off Korea in the 1950's with CCP. :encouragement:

Just found these online:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60679&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60680&stc=1

Tough finding ones in color that aren't just models.

tgycgijoes
May 29th, 2018, 10:34
Tough finding ones in color that aren't just models.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60681&stc=1

Just went back thru my history and indeed the Cougar was aboard USS BENNINGTON IN 1956-57 according to their history site. You can't argue with the guys that were really there with their cameras.

USS HORNET had Cougars aboard both as a fighter: VF-144; attack: VA-146 AND the photo birds F9F-8P of VFP-61 Here is one for all you repainters to duplicate This is what happens when you land on the wrong carrier:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60682&stc=1

tgycgijoes
May 29th, 2018, 17:22
Here is my afternoon/night's work using Rob's paintkit which is very user friendly. You can see this paint scheme in the photo above of the 3 Cougars over the mountains. At first I didn't notice the diamond marking on the tail because its yellow in a B/W photo. It was the hardest part of the whole texture because it has to be applied in two parts that to line up DON'T LINE UP. The port side went together the first try. Then after many prayers and reloads I finally got the right side to work. I am going to use this as a VA-192 Master texture which is why there is no registration or aircraft number on the nose yet. I may do the entire squadron with subtle differences just because I have never done that before. How's this Navy Chief? I think I am going to work over the walkways because they are not black in the photos and they cover up the yellow arrows which they should not do. I guess this is "beta" for the moment. I'll work on it and post updates. When I am satisfied its "as good as it can be by me" I'll download it for approval to post in the Library.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60685&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60686&stc=1

tgycgijoes
May 29th, 2018, 19:24
The "Gun Test" in the panel is a Tacpack. When I had the aircraft at KNZY San Diego to take the pictures above it shows the Redtype surrogate that its got Tacpack but just the guns I can see because about the notes about the switches to see weapons. Is this going to be modded further for Tacpack ordnance?

PhantomP
May 30th, 2018, 05:25
Beautiful work.:encouragement:

tgycgijoes
May 30th, 2018, 06:00
Beautiful work.:encouragement:

Appreciate the compliment; my talent came from Him I also use my talents for the Lord.

tgycgijoes
May 30th, 2018, 12:20
From photos and other information...here is a Glossy Sea Blue F9F-8 Cougar of VA-192 I have a list made out from the photos that I have been able to find for the aircraft numbers and the only photo I have blue is 211 and 212 so I will be labelling this one as that aircraft with those side nos.and try and find the correct Serial Numbers.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60721&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60722&stc=1

Cazzie
May 31st, 2018, 04:33
I have the single seat Cougar and have done a Blue Angels paint for it. But there is no Spec texture and I just cannot get that polished aluminum effect I want. The screenshot here is a faux metal effect I put in, but I have another set of textures that normally work with a Spec texture and Alpha.

Cazzie

tgycgijoes
May 31st, 2018, 07:20
I have done a repaint for the Calclassic DC6/R6D and created a spec texture by studying other textures. I suggest you download it from the Calclassic website and study what they have done for the polished metal "tubeliners" which is how I by far not a texture expert did polished aluminum or stainless steel effects. They are achieved (hope I am not preaching to the choir here) by overlaying gray/dark gray/black. over the actual texture. Hope that helps what little I can.

tgycgijoes
May 31st, 2018, 11:51
Here is a complete repaint for VA-192 Golden Dragons of "Dragon-203" aboard USS YORKTOWN CVA-10 in the Summer of 1957. The squadron had a mix of glossy sea blue and gull gray textures evidenced from actual photos. The repaint for Rob's Cougar will be available in the Warbirds.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60736&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60737&stc=1

Cazzie
June 1st, 2018, 05:02
I have done a repaint for the Calclassic DC6/R6D and created a spec texture by studying other textures. I suggest you download it from the Calclassic website and study what they have done for the polished metal "tubeliners" which is how I by far not a texture expert did polished aluminum or stainless steel effects. They are achieved (hope I am not preaching to the choir here) by overlaying gray/dark gray/black. over the actual texture. Hope that helps what little I can.

That helps and I have made Spec texture, but the aircraft had a spec texture to begin with and mine replaced it for the particular paint I did. Most FSX aircraft have a base spec texture, usually in the texture folder with the bump map textures. Rob's has a bump map, but no spec texture whatsoever. If I were to make one, how would the .mdl even recognize it? And for most metal textures for FSX I used gray base, dark gray alpha, and black spec. Just not working with Rob's Cougar to give that shine I like for the polished aluminum.

Cazzie

tgycgijoes
June 1st, 2018, 05:33
That helps and I have made Spec texture, but the aircraft had a spec texture to begin with and mine replaced it for the particular paint I did. Most FSX aircraft have a base spec texture, usually in the texture folder with the bump map textures. Rob's has a bump map, but no spec texture whatsoever. If I were to make one, how would the .mdl even recognize it? And for most metal textures for FSX I used gray base, dark gray alpha, and black spec. Just not working with Rob's Cougar to give that shine I like for the polished aluminum.

Cazzie

I created spec for the fuselage and the wing for my repaint as well as an alpha and either the mdl ignored it or accepted it because the texture works as you can see above blue VA-192 I didn't get a black aircraft meaning that the mdl didn't recognize the texture or it was in the wrong format from my past experience.

I know that Rob has been following this thread from a PM I had last night about my latest repaint so maybe he will give you some advice since he created this aircraft from the beginning.

Cees Donker
February 9th, 2020, 06:37
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-9-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-9-001.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-9-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-9-002.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-9-003.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-9-003.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-9-004.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-9-004.jpg.html)

This model deserves many more repaints! Here's a W.I.P. Just a few thing to improve.

Cees

gray eagle
February 9th, 2020, 08:04
Here is my afternoon/night's work using Rob's paintkit which is very user friendly. You can see this paint scheme in the photo above of the 3 Cougars over the mountains. At first I didn't notice the diamond marking on the tail because its yellow in a B/W photo. It was the hardest part of the whole texture because it has to be applied in two parts that to line up DON'T LINE UP. The port side went together the first try. Then after many prayers and reloads I finally got the right side to work. I am going to use this as a VA-192 Master texture which is why there is no registration or aircraft number on the nose yet. I may do the entire squadron with subtle differences just because I have never done that before. How's this Navy Chief? I think I am going to work over the walkways because they are not black in the photos and they cover up the yellow arrows which they should not do. I guess this is "beta" for the moment. I'll work on it and post updates. When I am satisfied its "as good as it can be by me" I'll download it for approval to post in the Library.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60685&stc=1

Was this one ever completed? If so, can't find it.
Thanks

Cees Donker
February 9th, 2020, 23:14
Was this one ever completed? If so, can't find it.
Thanks
It's not been uploaded here! I'm pretty sure of that.

:untroubled:

Cees

gray eagle
February 10th, 2020, 04:49
Thanks to tgycgijoes for this paint.

https://i.postimg.cc/t4d6LT7d/Capture.jpg

gray eagle
February 10th, 2020, 04:58
I noticed that both the cougar and panther used the same engine,

When in full throttle, would like to see the cougar modded with the same burner glow effect like the panther. Only see a little nozzle flame effect during the spooling then it extinguishes.

I'm sure it would amount to placement of the same effect used by the panther i.e. fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx

https://i.postimg.cc/6pqYdgcx/Capture1.jpg

Mike71
February 10th, 2020, 05:52
I noticed that both the cougar and panther used the same engine,

When in full throttle, would like to see the cougar modded with the same burner glow effect like the panther. Only see a little nozzle flame effect during the spooling then it extinguishes.

I'm sure it would amount to placement of the same effect used by the panther i.e. fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx]

https://i.postimg.cc/6pqYdgcx/Capture1.jpg
The various J-48 versions used in the Panther and Cougar did not have a "Burner" i.e. afterburner, of course, but the combustion section did glow noticeably (forward of the turbine disk) if you looked directly up the tailpipe - it was not visible otherwise, and modulated with power setting. Your picture looks pretty realistic for cruise flight, a little brighter at full power as I recall. The J-48 was a centrifugal compressor design, quite robust and reliable, but had the typical drawback of a "fat" cross section necessitated by the use of a plenum chamber built into the fuselage to feed the dual sided compressor disk.

gray eagle
February 10th, 2020, 07:36
This is another great work of art by Rob. I enjoy this one as well as the Banshee,

One minor thing is that I wish the wheel chocks were yellow like they were in the Banshee,

https://i.postimg.cc/vTk7Jczv/Capture.jpg

Cees Donker
February 10th, 2020, 12:31
This is another great work of art by Rob. I enjoy this one as well as the Banshee,

One minor thing is that I wish the wheel chocks were yellow like they were in the Banshee,

https://i.postimg.cc/vTk7Jczv/Capture.jpg

Have you noticed that the bulge onder the nose isn't properly textured? Also the stabilizing fins of the Wings should be white on the front.

Cees

gray eagle
February 10th, 2020, 13:10
Have you noticed that the bulge onder the nose isn't properly textured? Also the stabilizing fins of the Wings should be white on the front.

Cees

Are you referencing this particular paint? No, didn't notice that. :engel016:

Maybe the author will read what you mentioned and correct it.

Mike71
February 10th, 2020, 17:20

CeesThe gun ranging radar dome was normally a dark gray fiberglass, but later when the Reserves and Training Command were using them without the radar they were often painted over. The "stabilizers" are wing stall fences and usually left bare metal along the line of the bare leading edges

Cees Donker
February 10th, 2020, 20:39
The gun ranging radar dome was normally a dark gray fiberglass, but later when the Reserves and Training Command were using them without the radar they were often painted over. The "stabilizers" are wing stall fences and usually left bare metal along the line of the bare leading edges

Thank you for pointing that out! Visually it should look a bit different than this though.

Cees

alain0568
February 11th, 2020, 00:26
Hello,

-GrayEagle,i use:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.1=-30.00, 0.0, 0.0, fx_Sea_Venom_smoke
Smoke.2 = -12.05, 0.05, -0.02,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx // X----Y----Z

And it work ! ;)

Alain

-

gray eagle
February 11th, 2020, 03:24
Hello,

-GrayEagle,i use:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.1=-30.00, 0.0, 0.0, fx_Sea_Venom_smoke
Smoke.2 = -12.05, 0.05, -0.02,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx // X----Y----Z

Alain

-

It works for me too. :encouragement: Thanks.

https://i.postimg.cc/s2cyDKJ0/Untitled.jpg

robcarrich
February 11th, 2020, 04:33

If you look at the main fuselage texture from the original download, yellow chock texture can be seen above fuselage side view.
I may have missed this in the paintkit.

Cees Donker
February 11th, 2020, 07:51
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-11-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-11-001.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-11-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-11-002.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-11-003.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-11-003.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-11-005.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-11-005.jpg.html)

Getting the hang of it again! Been a long time since I rock 'n rolled!

:biggrin-new:

Cees

gray eagle
February 11th, 2020, 08:23
https://i.postimg.cc/s2cyDKJ0/Untitled.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-11-001.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-11-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-11-002.jpg.html)

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-11-005.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-11-005.jpg.html)

Getting the hang of it again! Been a long time since I rock 'n rolled!

Cees

Nice shots. :encouragement: Is this one you did? I'd like to get a copy of this one.

Cees Donker
February 11th, 2020, 09:25
Nice shots. :encouragement: Is this one you did? I'd like to get a copy of this one.

This is indeed one I did. And the one from post 133 in this thread.

:encouragement:

Cees

gray eagle
February 11th, 2020, 09:42
[QUOTE=Cees Donker;1210255]This is indeed one I did. And the one from post 133 in this thread.

Cees[/QUOTE

I didn't see that one there (133) I saw this one instead
I thought this one was a WIP.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-9-002.jpg

Cees Donker
February 11th, 2020, 10:50
Both nearly finished.

Cees

Cees Donker
February 11th, 2020, 21:30
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-12-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-12-001.jpg.html)

I think Rob initially planned to include this one... Very much a WIP!

:adoration:

Cees

gray eagle
February 12th, 2020, 04:41
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-12-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-12-001.jpg.html)

I think Rob initially planned to include this one... Very much a WIP!

:adoration:

Cees

Nice one. Ya know, some of these repaints show the IRF refuel probe on the nose and some don't. The basic model doesn't feature this.
Any repaints that have this nose will not show I guess mainly because the model doesn't feature this.

I like the ones without the IFR probe, the ones with that probe remind me of a unicorn. :untroubled:

wombat666
February 12th, 2020, 05:21
The gun ranging radar dome was normally a dark gray fiberglass, but later when the Reserves and Training Command were using them without the radar they were often painted over. The "stabilizers" are wing stall fences and usually left bare metal along the line of the bare leading edges

Just passing.
Always following threads relating to Rob's aircraft.
Back in the day when I was enthusiastically kit-bashing styrene my interest in USN/USMC aviation had me researching details like a man obsessed!
Typical IPMS behavior.
IIRC the 'bare metal' leading edges on most of the carrier borne aircraft were painted with 'Corraguard', or something named like that.
It was a long time ago.

spokes2112
February 12th, 2020, 06:47
Nice one. Ya know, some of these repaints show the IRF refuel probe on the nose and some don't. The basic model doesn't feature this.
Any repaints that have this nose will not show I guess mainly because the model doesn't feature this.

I like the ones without the IFR probe, the ones with that probe remind me of a unicorn. :untroubled:

IIRC you can configure it however you want.. In the VC, the 3 upper left arming switches.
I believe also that the switches use unused flight sim commands/variables so the configuration may get saved in a saved flight.
It is all in the readme.

Roman

Mike71
February 12th, 2020, 08:30
Just passing.
Always following threads relating to Rob's aircraft.
Back in the day when I was enthusiastically kit-bashing styrene my interest in USN/USMC aviation had me researching details like a man obsessed!
Typical IPMS behavior.
IIRC the 'bare metal' leading edges on most of the carrier borne aircraft were painted with 'Corraguard', or something named like that.
It was a long time ago.
The coating you are talking about was translucent, sort of an anti-corrosion feature. The leading edges/fence leading edges were bare metal.

gray eagle
February 12th, 2020, 11:56
When using ther "L" lights key, I noticed that there are a couple other visuals that take place

1. Under wing fuel tanks/bombs show.

2. IFR fuel probe (toothpick) visiable.

Is there a way to configure just the lights to function and not (1) and or (2) above?

I see photos of the real cougars without that IFR probe and some with and, wonder how

the models without that fuel probe on the on the nose could refuel inflight.

Edit: I did find this article that explains some of the retrofits and modification to the real planes.
It mentions the retrofit of "Splitter plates" which may relate to the retrofilt of the IFR probe.
Other photos I see of cougars show no evidence of a fuel probe at all.

Seem like the IFR probe was an afterthought.

http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2014/12/f9f-8-variations.html

gray eagle
February 12th, 2020, 13:02
I found this interesting link to the development of the real deal and the variants:

Looks like that IFR probe was added to the F9F-8 model - which was that last variant.
So, the earlier version just didn't have the IFR probe
Scroll to bottom of link for variant info:

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=369

WarHorse47
February 15th, 2020, 07:05
Both nearly finished.

CeesAnd..??? Looking forward to downloading... :loyal:

Cees Donker
March 2nd, 2020, 10:43
And..??? Looking forward to downloading... :loyal:

Been very busy!

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/Cougar%20VT-26.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/Cougar%20VT-26.jpg.html)

Cees Donker
March 2nd, 2020, 10:49
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-23-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-23-001.jpg.html)

Cees Donker
March 2nd, 2020, 10:50
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-24-001_1.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-24-001_1.jpg.html)

Cees Donker
March 2nd, 2020, 10:51
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-27-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-27-001.jpg.html)

Cees Donker
March 2nd, 2020, 10:55
I'll start uploading by the end of the week. Seven repaints in all. Three single seat Cougars, three Banshees and one Cougar trainer.
These planes deserve far more repaints than have been done so far!

Cees

stovall
March 2nd, 2020, 11:25
Beautiful work Cees, looking forward to the download. Keep em coming.

Josh Patterson
March 2nd, 2020, 12:40
Really liking the VX-5 Cougar Cees. The green stripes really make it pop. (I like the old AMT Tigercat model that had the green cowlings and wing/fuselage bands too. Not the same unit though. It was a Marine bird.)

Duckie
March 2nd, 2020, 13:29
Very nice, all! :encouragement:

modelr
March 2nd, 2020, 14:15
Really nice work Cees. Looking forward to them. :applause::jump::wiggle:

WarHorse47
March 5th, 2020, 19:26
I'll start uploading by the end of the week. Seven repaints in all. Three single seat Cougars, three Banshees and one Cougar trainer.
These planes deserve far more repaints than have been done so far!

CeesTis the end of the week, ya?? Still looking forward to the repaints. :encouragement:

Cees Donker
March 5th, 2020, 20:08
Tis the end of the week, ya?? Still looking forward to the repaints. :encouragement:
The weekend (the name says it all) is not yet there!

Cees

Cees Donker
March 6th, 2020, 07:07
The weekend (the name says it all) is not yet there!

Cees

I uploaded the Banshee-skins.
Tomorrow I'll be gone for a three day to the Ardennes. The other skins will have to wait untill I'm back.

Cees

Cees Donker
March 11th, 2020, 23:50
This one is uploaded to the library.

This repaint depicts the VT-26 TF-9J Cougar BuNo 142965 at NAS Chasefield, circa 1968. Have fun!
Cees Donker

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-12-004.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-12-004.jpg.html)

Duckie
March 12th, 2020, 06:45
Great looking aircraft and paint. Saw several of these on the ramp at Pensacola in 1968 while visiting a buddy there.

Cees Donker
March 12th, 2020, 06:53
Forgot to include the readme!
Cees

This is a repaint of the wonderful F9F-8T Cougar by Robert Richardson. It's based on the provided paintkit. To install these repaints: 1. copy the contents of the zip-file to the Grumman F9F-8T Cougar-map in the airplanes folder, 2. copy the content of the aircraft.cfg.txt file in this download to the aircraft.cfg in the Grumman F9F-8T Cougar-map in the airplanes folder. Change the 'x' to the correct number. Done!
Have fun!
Cees Donker

Cees Donker
March 12th, 2020, 07:06
Great looking aircraft and paint. Saw several of these on the ramp at Pensacola in 1968 while visiting a buddy there.

This was a tricky one to do!

Cees

Duckie
March 12th, 2020, 13:29
This was a tricky one to do!

Cees

All that scalloping must have driven you nuts! It would me. But...the finished product was worth it.. for us anyway! :very_drunk: :encouragement:

robcarrich
March 13th, 2020, 03:45
PBR makeover for Cees's superb repaint

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49654717126_e78ccd80ae_k.jpg

Cees Donker
March 13th, 2020, 08:57
Thanks for the compliment Rob! It's such a nice looking aircraft!

Cees

Cees Donker
March 15th, 2020, 01:10
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-15-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-15-001.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-15-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-15-002.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-15-003.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-15-003.jpg.html)

Another one in the pipeline! I have doubts about the red-orange colour!

Cees

Cees Donker
March 15th, 2020, 03:42
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-15-004.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-15-004.jpg.html)

Is this better?

:dizzy:

Cees

Cees Donker
March 15th, 2020, 04:33
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-15-006.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-15-006.jpg.html)

Think I found the right colour: FS 12197, international orange.

Cees

johndetrick
March 15th, 2020, 04:48
My VMT-1 paint looks good with pbr. Good Job. When I do a skin, as much as possible I use the appropriate colors for the era. The US Navy had a few different orange colors in use. The red orange didn't last long as it faded rather quickly. I use the Official Monogram US Navy and Marine Corps Official Color Guides by Maj Elliot as a reference. And a ton of supporting documents I've acquired over the years.

TARPSBird
March 15th, 2020, 06:18
Cees, I looked at a few TF-9J color shots and I think you were OK with your original "Insignia Red" paint as in your screenshots in post #179. The red in post #180 is closer to DayGlo color.

Cees Donker
March 15th, 2020, 08:29
I uploaded the last version with the international orange. According to my sources this is the most accurate representation. I don't know when it will be up.

Cees

modelr
March 15th, 2020, 12:40
It;s up now! Downloading as I type. :jump::jump::jump:

Looks great Cees. I have seen the Navy orange on different aircraft. It usually starts out more reddish, but after a few months in the sun, it fades to the DayGlo shade you have here. I like it.

Mike71
March 15th, 2020, 12:53
My VMT-1 paint looks good with pbr. Good Job. When I do a skin, as much as possible I use the appropriate colors for the era. The US Navy had a few different orange colors in use. The red orange didn't last long as it faded rather quickly. I use the Official Monogram US Navy and Marine Corps Official Color Guides by Maj Elliot as a reference. And a ton of supporting documents I've acquired over the years.The orange up to mid-late 60's was a poor quality compared to later paint. The early kind did fade, got a rough texture. Later on the better quality always seemed to stay fresh. Look at TA-4s, etc, they did not really fade out, stayed glossy.

johndetrick
March 15th, 2020, 13:47
Either way it looks good,

Cees Donker
March 15th, 2020, 13:52
Either way it looks good,

Thanks!

Cees

Cees Donker
March 16th, 2020, 07:47
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-16-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-16-001.jpg.html)

This will be the next one. After that I'll turn to the single seat variants. Mind you: still a work in progress!

Cees

Cees Donker
March 18th, 2020, 12:40
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-18-003.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-18-003.jpg.html)

Sorry, I can't help myself!

Cees

WarHorse47
March 19th, 2020, 07:43
Sorry, I can't help myself!

CeesJust don't keep them to yourself. They look great. Still waiting to download and fly while housebound. :encouragement:

Cees Donker
March 21st, 2020, 08:29
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-21-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-21-002.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-21-009.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-21-009.jpg.html)

I uploaded these two. For all you people that are confined to stay indoors. Have fun!

Cees

Cees Donker
March 23rd, 2020, 13:13
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-23-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-23-001.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-23-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-23-002.jpg.html)

I uploaded the VX-5 repaint. Should be up soon.

I hope you'll like it.

Cees

delta_lima
March 23rd, 2020, 13:30
Clever use of the refueling probe as a a coloured "instrumentation" probe :)

I like it - will also use it on the Rob's AI model for my upcoming retro USN/USMC traffic project.

dl

Cees Donker
March 24th, 2020, 12:13
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-24-009.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-24-009.jpg.html)

And this is the next one....It's uploaded.

:wiggle:

Cees

gray eagle
March 25th, 2020, 16:03
Wow Cees,

The Va-113 texture looks nice.

What were the improvements over your older paint of this one?

https://i.postimg.cc/gcVz087T/Capture.jpg

Cees Donker
March 25th, 2020, 22:12
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-feb-9-004.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-feb-9-004.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-24-009.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-24-009.jpg.html)

Just compare these nose arts. And Lots of other details.

Cees

expat
March 26th, 2020, 02:36
Very nice paint Cees!

Cees Donker
March 26th, 2020, 10:31
Very nice paint Cees!

Thank you!

Cees

mercure
March 26th, 2020, 13:28
Congrats Cees, you are among the masters!

Cees Donker
March 29th, 2020, 06:33
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/thumbnail_1.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/thumbnail_1.jpg.html)

I uploaded the last of the blue Cougars I had in mind of doing.

Cees

delta_lima
March 29th, 2020, 07:51
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/thumbnail_1.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/thumbnail_1.jpg.html)

I uploaded the last of the blue Cougars I had in mind of doing.

Cees

Looks lovely Cees!

Do you have any mid ‘50s gull grey schemes in mind?

Cees Donker
March 29th, 2020, 12:22
Yes I do, started on this one today. The Wings are from another texture. I've done only the fuselage.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-29-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-29-002.jpg.html)

Cees

delta_lima
March 29th, 2020, 22:40
Yes I do, started on this one today. The Wings are from another texture. I've done only the fuselage.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-29-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-29-002.jpg.html)

Cees
I love it!

Cees Donker
March 30th, 2020, 03:11
If you have any repaint requests, feel free to let me know!

Cees

HarleyDude
March 30th, 2020, 05:49
Cees, Thank you for all your efforts, I would like to request a Blue Angels Demo Team repaint. I know there is a FT9F one but I have not found a single seat version. Thanks, Harley Dude

Cees Donker
March 30th, 2020, 06:57
Cees, Thank you for all your efforts, I would like to request a Blue Angels Demo Team repaint. I know there is a FT9F one but I have not found a single seat version. Thanks, Harley Dude
Hehehe! I had that one already on my list!

:ernaehrung004:

Cees

delta_lima
March 30th, 2020, 08:14
If you have any repaint requests, feel free to let me know!

Cees

How about a red one?

QF-9G from PMTC China Lake, BuNo 130800:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/40419999512

Note, this one, and others including BuNo130893 were red, not the high-vis orange. You can see the difference on those airframes that were both orange and red:

http://www.chinalakealumni.org/1961/1961mo.htm#thumb

Scroll down 1/3 of the page to the photo that is captioned "NAF China Lake F9F-6K2 Cougar drone BuNo 127341, China Lake, 20 May 1961. Photo by Larry Ruybal."

Same colour used on some of the Grumman Hellcat F6F-5K drones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F6F-5K_Hellcat_Red_Drone.jpg

Thanks for considering. Your VF-144 paint will be a real treat too.

cheers,

dl

gray eagle
March 30th, 2020, 09:33
Cees,

Appreciate a paint of these two thanks.

https://i.postimg.cc/dVtvNm3c/USN-F9-F-8-61-02.png

https://i.postimg.cc/MphPfqh3/VF-154-03.png

delta_lima
March 30th, 2020, 09:42
Cees,

Appreciate a paint of these two thanks.

https://i.postimg.cc/dVtvNm3c/USN-F9-F-8-61-02.png

https://i.postimg.cc/MphPfqh3/VF-154-03.png

Martial Feron already did the gull-grey VF-61: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=183&id=23406

It's a stunning repaint.

The second image is an F9F-5 Panther. VF-154 never flew Cougars - they transitioned from Panthers directly to the FJ-3 Fury in about 1956.

dl

gray eagle
March 30th, 2020, 12:20
Martial Feron already did the gull-grey VF-61: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=183&id=23406

It's a stunning repaint.

The second image is an F9F-5 Panther. VF-154 never flew Cougars - they transitioned from Panthers directly to the FJ-3 Fury in about 1956.

dl

Thanks for the link and the info on VF-154 - I was with them when they had F-4J's

delta_lima
March 30th, 2020, 12:30
Thanks for the link and the info on VF-154 - I was with them when they had F-4J's

My pleasure. Your period with them spans when they wore arguably the smartest scheme.

Cees Donker
March 31st, 2020, 10:45
Goes with the job: I'll have to repair/ mend the rivets on top of the nose. Unexpected this is...

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-31-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-31-001.jpg.html)

:kilroy:

Cees

Cees Donker
April 2nd, 2020, 05:19

Where can I find the F9F-8T one?

Cees

InDeepSchit
April 2nd, 2020, 07:27
Where can I find the F9F-8T one?

Cees

It's one of the two textures included in the Cougar Two-Seater base package.

Cees Donker
April 2nd, 2020, 07:52
It's one of the two textures included in the Cougar Two-Seater base package.

I didn't think of that! I probably deleted it to save space.

Cees

Cees Donker
April 3rd, 2020, 12:14
Think I'm ready with this one. (That is you never are really ready,but you abandon a repaint for another one.)

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-3-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-3-001.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-3-002.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-3-002.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-3-006.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-3-006.jpg.html)

P.S. I tried to make a different bumpmap for this one, but that wasn't a succes....

Cees

delta_lima
April 3rd, 2020, 14:20
Very nice, CD!!

Cees Donker
April 5th, 2020, 06:13
I'm pleased with the way this bare metal looks.

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-5-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-5-001.jpg.html)

Cees

Duckie
April 5th, 2020, 06:29

Very nice. :encouragement:

Josh Patterson
April 5th, 2020, 07:40
Goes with the job: I'll have to repair/ mend the rivets on top of the nose. Unexpected this is...

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-mar-31-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-mar-31-001.jpg.html)

Cees.....And unfortunate. :encouragement:

Josh Patterson
April 5th, 2020, 07:42

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-5-001.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-5-001.jpg.html)

Cees
I've always wondered why some Panthers and Cougars had bare metal next to the fuselage while others didn't. Surely they didn't do it just to make modeler's lives tougher?

Mike71
April 5th, 2020, 10:43
The Blues did it most likely to make them more visually appealing as they made banked passes, etc. I can't say as I have seen every picture of a Panther or Cougar, but all the real ones I was around, and pictures I have seen, had non-skid there.

The non - skid was necessary, because pilots and ground crews had to climb up on each wing and push in the four plenum chamber aux air doors to look for FOD, etc on pre-flights.

As a student, I dropped a bunch of coins that were in an unzipped chest pocket into an open aux door as I leaned over - the instructor made me "dive the ducts" as punishment to retrieve them. Luckily the J-48 compressor section was surrounded by a screen mesh, so finding them lying in the bottom of the duct was relatively easy.

The coins might never have hurt anything, but would have made a hell of a racket once the engine started --

Cees Donker
April 5th, 2020, 12:12
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-5-003.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-5-003.jpg.html)

Learning a lot with this one! The Blue Angels letters are somewhat different from the ones on the real Cougars. Can someone help me with that?

Cees

Cees Donker
April 7th, 2020, 06:54
I uploaded this one today. Will be up soon. Why is this ridiculous photobucket tekst in my picture???
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/thumbnail_2.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/thumbnail_2.jpg.html)

Cees

wombat666
April 7th, 2020, 07:04
They probably want $$$$ from you Cees, rather an unsubtle way at that!
Nice repaints, looking forward to getting airborne in them.

DennyA
April 7th, 2020, 11:51
Photobucket stopped being useful for image links a while back as they attempted to find a way to monetize their business.

I'd suggest using imgur -- still free, still works well.

Cees Donker
April 7th, 2020, 12:23
This one will be ready in a few days.

Cees

Cees Donker
April 7th, 2020, 20:29
How about a red one?

QF-9G from PMTC China Lake, BuNo 130800:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/40419999512

Note, this one, and others including BuNo130893 were red, not the high-vis orange. You can see the difference on those airframes that were both orange and red:

http://www.chinalakealumni.org/1961/1961mo.htm#thumb

Scroll down 1/3 of the page to the photo that is captioned "NAF China Lake F9F-6K2 Cougar drone BuNo 127341, China Lake, 20 May 1961. Photo by Larry Ruybal."

Same colour used on some of the Grumman Hellcat F6F-5K drones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F6F-5K_Hellcat_Red_Drone.jpg

Thanks for considering. Your VF-144 paint will be a real treat too.

cheers,

dl

dl, what markings had
these planes on the wings?

Cees

delta_lima
April 7th, 2020, 23:01
dl, what markings had
these planes on the wings?

Cees

Hi Cees - thanks for considering it.

From my limited records, it's mostly like standard period markings. Roundel on port top wing, "NAVY" on starboard top wing. And reversed underneath.

These are not quite the same scheme, but shows the markings:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F9F-8_with_Sidewinder_missiles_1956.jpg

Sorry I don't have a lot of source image on that point.

Regards,

dl

Cees Donker
April 8th, 2020, 00:29
FS21105 is probably the right color?

Cees

Cees Donker
April 8th, 2020, 05:55
Anyone willing to betatest this repaint?
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-8-003.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-8-003.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-8-006.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-8-006.jpg.html)

Send me a PM with your mail addy.

Cees

delta_lima
April 8th, 2020, 06:35
FS21105 is probably the right color?

Cees

Hi Cees,

Yes, I’d say that’s about right. This scheme was red not orange, as some others were. So I’d say this is good. Looking forward to seeing it.

DL

Josh Patterson
April 8th, 2020, 07:53
Anyone willing to betatest this repaint?
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-8-003.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-8-003.jpg.html)
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/CeesDonker/-2020-apr-8-006.jpg (https://s15.photobucket.com/user/CeesDonker/media/-2020-apr-8-006.jpg.html)

Send me a PM with your mail addy.

CeesI sent you a PM.

Josh Patterson
April 8th, 2020, 08:09
The Blues did it most likely to make them more visually appealing as they made banked passes, etc. I can't say as I have seen every picture of a Panther or Cougar, but all the real ones I was around, and pictures I have seen, had non-skid there.

The non - skid was necessary, because pilots and ground crews had to climb up on each wing and push in the four plenum chamber aux air doors to look for FOD, etc on pre-flights.

As a student, I dropped a bunch of coins that were in an unzipped chest pocket into an open aux door as I leaned over - the instructor made me "dive the ducts" as punishment to retrieve them. Luckily the J-48 compressor section was surrounded by a screen mesh, so finding them lying in the bottom of the duct was relatively easy.

The coins might never have hurt anything, but would have made a hell of a racket once the engine started --VF-152 Black Knights had Panthers with unpainted wing roots. The bare metal root can also be seen on the VF-192 Golden Knights birds in Bridges at Toko Ri. So it wasn't many, but still I wonder why.

Cees Donker
April 8th, 2020, 08:52
Let's see if this works better than photobucket!
https://i.postimg.cc/85ZWT55N/2020-apr-8-003.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hz7hrKT5)
Cees

delta_lima
April 8th, 2020, 10:08
Looks fine now!

gray eagle
April 8th, 2020, 10:13
Looks fine now!

+1 :encouragement:

Cees Donker
April 8th, 2020, 11:27
This is very red dl!

https://i.postimg.cc/brfQy4yy/2020-apr-8-009.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mzVcVX1J)
https://i.postimg.cc/pTFftPtc/2020-apr-8-010.jpg (https://postimg.cc/YGtG6K0Q)

Cees

delta_lima
April 8th, 2020, 13:17
Hello Cees!

The colour was pretty awful - but nevertheless, it's one of the crazy ones they used. Yellow, orange, and even pink was applied to various Hellcats, Cougars, and other drone airframes. I think you nailed it.

Will it get your stenciling attention like the VF-144?

Looking good. Will get good use from this one.

Many thanks in advance!

dl

HarleyDude
April 8th, 2020, 15:06
Cees, Thanks!!! The Blue Angel Cougar looks great.

Cees Donker
April 8th, 2020, 22:23
Hello Cees!

Will it get your stenciling attention like the VF-144?

dl

Off course! I'll even try to make it scruffy looking like the original!

Cees

Cees Donker
April 8th, 2020, 22:26
Cees, Thanks!!! The Blue Angel Cougar looks great.

You're welcome!

Cees

delta_lima
April 9th, 2020, 11:19

Cees

Thanks Cees,

By this stage of their operational life, they certainly had a bit of wear and tear. :biggrin-new:

In case you're wondering as to the wing "walk" strip - these I'm pretty sure used the non-skid black: https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/40419999172/

This seems to have applied to all the drone varieties, in the various colour schemes.

I hope that helps.

dl

Josh Patterson
April 9th, 2020, 11:46

Cees
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75304&stc=1

Cees Donker
April 9th, 2020, 12:03
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75304&stc=1

Hehehe! I was indeed thinking of Star Wars!

Cees:biggrin-new:

Cees Donker
April 9th, 2020, 22:07
Thanks Cees,

By this stage of their operational life, they certainly had a bit of wear and tear. :biggrin-new:

In case you're wondering as to the wing "walk" strip - these I'm pretty sure used the non-skid black: https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/40419999172/

This seems to have applied to all the drone varieties, in the various colour schemes.

I hope that helps.

dl

It all helps dl! Thank you!

Cees

Josh Patterson
April 10th, 2020, 00:47
Hehehe! I was indeed thinking of Star Wars!

Cees:biggrin-new:If you didn't notice I finished your "Unexpected this is.." quote a while back too!:triumphant:

Cees Donker
April 10th, 2020, 01:54
If you didn't notice I finished your "Unexpected this is.." quote a while back too!:triumphant:
I did notice!

Cees

Mike71
April 10th, 2020, 03:13
It all helps dl! Thank you!

Cees
As an additional note about the wing walks -

during pre-flight, as best I recall, you could check the hydraulic reservoir levels when you pushed down on the starboard forward aux air door. Also, it was easy to hop off the aft end of either wing walk because the trailing edges were so close to the ground.