PDA

View Full Version : Repainting Problem any ideas? Sikorsky S-43

BendyFlyer
January 23rd, 2018, 14:28
I have been impressed by George Diemer's Sikorsky's, they are wonderful models and the level of detail is very high including cabins etc. I was trying to do a repaint on the S-43 in the colours of Reeve Aleutian. Here is the issue - I am using the InterIsland version. I found the colours for the aircraft and did the various textures using paint.net then re-saved them as DXT-3 with alpha textures (DXT bitmpa program). Put together the relevant texture file with all the needed textures and a thumbnail. When I go to FSX the aircraft is showing as an extra model but it does not display the new textures but the master or primary textures of the model (There was only one texture with this package to start with). I see other repaints of the same aircraft and noted that they seem to follow the path of doing the textures and then reissuing the whole thing as a package not just a repaint. Would I be correct in assuming that the mdl files are driving what is displayed? if so, how can this be change so I can get the new textures to display? Thoughts appreciated.

Bjoern
January 23rd, 2018, 16:08
If you can't see it in the menu, check the [fltsim.x] entries in the aircraft.cfg. Numbering, duplicate title, texture folder name, etc.

Shessi
January 24th, 2018, 08:39
Hi BF,
If you've checked to see all the entries are correct, it's prob because you have not changed the ac ID in the ac.cfg file to show a different model. It is no good just making another entry with different texs, as the sim will not differentiate between the models.

So say the first/orig model was ID'd in the cfg file as 'Sikorsky S-43' which has the orig texs, your new tex ac would have to be something like 'Sikorsky S-43 Reeve Aleutian'

Cheers

Shessi

BendyFlyer
January 24th, 2018, 23:04
Thanks all, yep checked all the way, my boo-boo. Now at least it is showing in the menu, funny how a dot (.) in the least unnoticed spot will wreck things if left unnoticed.

Still have some weird colour mapping issues will have to put it through a mdl converter to see where it is mapping stuff too I guess. 90% there though. Not sure some days how our repaint experts keep their cool with these, probably because I do not understand a lot of this (still) as far as painting is concerned, rather do gauges and code. Ah well!