PDA

View Full Version : Flight stick

LouP
January 19th, 2018, 17:50
Anyone know why it's so hard to find someone who sells a full size flight stick for not a crazy amount of money? Basically I'm just looking for an extended joystick that will work while on the floor.

LouP

Daveroo
January 19th, 2018, 18:10
search youtube for modifying a joystick,cant think of any channels right off,but i know ive seen them.

jmig
January 20th, 2018, 05:56
Anyone know why it's so hard to find someone who sells a full size flight stick for not a crazy amount of money? Basically I'm just looking for an extended joystick that will work while on the floor.

LouP

If you have the Thrustmaster Warthog, you can get extensions. Just realize that without changing the spring the forces will be very light. If you can get the metric screw dia and pitch, any machine shop can build you one out of aluminum tubing.

Others like the CH sticks are molded plastic and can't be extended easily.

You could also build your own, as I did. See attached photos.

roger-wilco-66
January 20th, 2018, 08:17
If you have the Thrustmaster Warthog, you can get extensions. Just realize that without changing the spring the forces will be very light. If you can get the metric screw dia and pitch, any machine shop can build you one out of aluminum tubing.

Others like the CH sticks are molded plastic and can't be extended easily.

You could also build your own, as I did. See attached photos.

That looks brilliant, John. I've got a new original Sikorsky grip with the original tube mounting lying around and always wanted to do something like that with it. I think I'll muse a bit at how to go forward with that project, after seeng this! :-)

Cheers,
Mark

alehead
January 24th, 2018, 22:43
I never cease to be amazed at the engineering prowess and talent of so many of you over here. You must have full machine shops, lathes and all in your cellars. How on earth do you do it?

I bow down to you. I wish I had your skills?

Looks great.

Andrew Entwistle
Germany

scotth6
January 30th, 2018, 23:04
Yeah, amazing job John. That looks really professional. Looks like you're building a full size replica!

jmig
January 31st, 2018, 09:26
Yeah, amazing job John. That looks really professional. Looks like you're building a full size replica!

Thanks! That was for my T-38 sim cockpit. See the picture. I am no longer using that stick. It is gathering dust. I am in the finishing stages of a year long upgrade sim. I designed and built a cockpit that is a cross between the F-16 and F-18. It has enough switches and dials to do just about anything with two engines or less. I have enclosed a picture of it too. I enjoy the designing and construction of cockpits and hardware. The hardest part for me is the software side and the programming the switches. I wish I have a 15-17 year old neighbor who was interested in flying. I would trade him programing for stick time.