PDA

View Full Version : ~ Curvature ~

boxcar
January 16th, 2018, 16:00
Many simmers are still looking for that sweet curved monitor. Have found an affordable one, 27" with an 1800R curvature (3000R is more "cinematic" while 1800R has more curve with it's shorter radius). Here one for a bit over two c-notes, and it doesn't get much better than this imo, for the price anyway: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-27b-curved-display Three of those monitors and oh boy. Mine is a curved hp 27"er but a little pricier with it's 120 Hz refresh rate, while this one has a 75Hz rr, both having a native rez of 1980 x 1080). They're wonderful to flight sim with... and btw- I've no connection with hp. They sure have good monitors though. Explanation regarding screen curvature: https://www.quora.com/How-does-an-1800R-curved-monitor-look-compared-to-a-3000R-curved-monitor-Which-is-better

No Dice
January 16th, 2018, 16:08
Wow,

Looks very interesting...at a really good price

srgalahad
January 16th, 2018, 16:29
I grabbed a Samsung C27F396 at Christmas. Bit more than $200 US but also a lot less than regular price. Very happy with is (so far). Actually noticed last night that I no longer was aware it was curved - I guess that's the idea :untroubled:

Naismith
January 16th, 2018, 16:37
Rip off Canada

USA = $249.99 sale price $219.99
Canada = $379.99 ...... ehhhh what is a sale price?

Even at bank exchange rates the $249 should translate to $310.56

.... And Trudope wonders why we shop south of the border when we can.

boxcar
January 16th, 2018, 16:46
I grabbed a Samsung C27F396 at Christmas. ... Actually noticed last night that I no longer was aware it was curved - I guess that's the idea :untroubled:

Indeed. :smile-new: Thought about another Samsung but opted for the hp this time. It'll be the first time in over a decade that I've used anything but Samsung, they make good stuff. The C27F398 model is presently about $230 USD. Have always preferred a black bezel, and Samsung's late 27" curved models are whitish or silvery. Looked at the ultrawide LG curved monitors but the curvature is 3000R, great for movies but not enough bend (for me) to fly as with an 1800R model..

boxcar
January 16th, 2018, 16:54
USA = $249.99 sale price $219.99
Canada = $379.99 ...... ehhhh what is a sale price?

Even at bank exchange rates the $249 should translate to $310.56

.... And Trudope wonders why we shop south of the border when we can.

Helping to make America great again one Canadian at a time. :costumed-smiley-034 Just deal with the boxes, man. A friend up in Ferndale (north of Bellingham, Washington) pointed out the "northerners" in shopping parking lots piling up the unpacked boxes to go back across the border/customs. I was entertained with her annoyance over this.
​.

boxcar
January 25th, 2018, 17:03
I grabbed a Samsung C27F396 at Christmas. Bit more than $200 US but also a lot less than regular price. Very happy with is (so far). Actually noticed last night that I no longer was aware it was curved - I guess that's the idea :untroubled:

If you like yours then you (and everyone else who's been thinking of curved screens) may love this: 2017 Samsung 32" CF397 models are presently being closed out right now at unreal pricing, in half in fact. They're going fast. Search any one of several major retailer websites that stock them, giant sites all. Well worth a couple of c-notes apiece, no tax and free shipping. Have been a Samsung man for years, so have dealt with the hp 27"er and now have 3 of these 60 Hz, 1080p native, 35 watt monitors on the way for my upcoming flight rig project. More on this later with all going well, as it will be different. . *hint - Perspective: use it or lose it. . :-)

Stay tuned... http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/pilot/p0503.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/p-pilot.php)

​.

wombat666
January 26th, 2018, 03:52
Interesting comparison of prices.
I decided to buy myself an up to date panel (after Yemen I deserved one!) and went for Acer over my usual (BenQ) choice.
Really good kit just costs.
And yes, the 'Pacific Peso' isn't worth much these days but this was a little eye-watering when I had to pay up!
Not only performs like a trouper but it looks great.
Acer Predator X34P 34inch IPS LED Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440x1440, 4ms, 100Hz OC to 120Hz, G-Sync, 1000:1, DisplayPort, HDMI, USB3, VESA, Speakers, Tilt, Swivel, Pivot, (A$1699.00)

:jawdrop:

boxcar
January 31st, 2018, 09:17
...this was a little eye-watering when I had to pay up!
Not only performs like a trouper but it looks great.
Acer Predator X34P 34inch

That's a great monitor from what I'm reading as well as one stout flight simming rig you have there, nephew. Good on you! Indeed, after Yemen you do deserve it. We almost never hear about Yemen here in the States. Wars and rumors of wars abound. Hope you made it through intact, Ancient Warrior. Your monitor has a 1900R curvature, one fine cinematic display.

My project involves 3 of the Samsung 32" CF397 curved monitors, 1080p native rez, 60 Hz refresh rate (will lock my fs frames @ 30), 1800R curvature and a mere 35 watt max power draw each. My processor draws only 65 watts - turbo to 4.6 Ghz, the video card, an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2, should suffice pushing the 3 screens utilizing a good amount of eye candy and should easily keep up with all 3 1080p 60 Hz monitors with room to spare.

Now for the good part: All 3 monitors together will be displaying an even 90 degree sweep (fs magnification set to 1.5X) whilst placing myself physically to the proper distance to achieve an arc of 90 degrees to the outer edges of the 3 lined up monitors. Thus, instead of a 135 degree across the screens I'll have 90 degrees of sim view, and lined up 90 degrees in real life with myself at the center of the arc. :cool: The pixels won't be visible back about 6 feet from the monitors so 1080p resolution will work fine for this application. Would prefer a set of 40" screens to accomplish this more perfectly, even 1500R monitors for their tighter curvature, but hey: the 3 Samsungs just cost me 150 bones less than just one 32" Samsung 1500R curved hot rod monitor.

Have flown using this perspective with only one monitor for many years and the perspective is great, especially for the landings, albeit losing parts of the views otherwise. Am a visual mathematician, compensating. If I had the dough then I'd be utilizing better equipment to achieve this though, for what I've spent thus far, the total expenditure has been very reasonable. Were I to choose but one monitor for a similar project then it'd be this Samsung monster: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/ which has very recently come down to less than 1k USD, and I believe over the next month or two it'll fall to below 700 bills.

So there you have it. Will keep you posted as the equipment is assembled.