PDA

View Full Version : Sky Simulations DC-9, C-9B

Navy Chief
January 9th, 2018, 07:08
Does anyone have this, since Sky Simulations released their V4 compatible package? I have their FSX version, and would have to purchase the new one, (they informed me in a email).

Ok, but is it worth it? Thanks, NC

wombat666
January 9th, 2018, 08:13
I quite liked the DC9 when it arrived for FS2004 and was happy when it was upgraded for FSX, I'm not that enthused on paying their asking price for P3D unless their have been significant upgrades.
For starters the VC is positively Stone Age .......... :kilroy:
If you ante up for it Chief and post some screenies you might convince me.:biggrin-new:

Navy Chief
January 9th, 2018, 13:22
I quite liked the DC9 when it arrived for FS2004 and was happy when it was upgraded for FSX, I'm not that enthused on paying their asking price for P3D unless their have been significant upgrades.
If you ante up for it Chief and post some screenies you might convince me.:biggrin-new:

I am hoping that someone else has "ante'd" up for it already! I have spent way too much on addons lately. Good thing my wife doesn't monitor our bank account:biggrin-new: NC

Bjoern
January 18th, 2018, 16:14

Did you mean "efficient"?

Good framerates, low memory consumption, appropriately detailed. None of that utter "UHD-dynamic lighting-2 million polys" crap.

strykerpsg
January 18th, 2018, 16:50

Good framerates, low memory consumption, appropriately detailed. None of that utter "UHD-dynamic lighting-2 million polys" crap.

Perhaps those that do upgrade want to take advantage of their hard earned gains in their machinery to see "UHD-dynamic lighting-2 million polys" advantages over their easier path of upgrading by porting over. With the realities of things like virtual reality and UHD, I would much rather immerse myself in greater details like higher textures, depth and more realism, to complete the virtual experience of being in a plane I will most likely never have an opportunity to fly in, in a virtual land I will most likely never see in that same real plane.

It's one thing if a company just makes a ported addon P3Dv4 compatible free of charge to previous owners and not capitalize on advanced techniques in P3D that were not present in FSX, but a whole other story to charge full price for a ported over FSX/FS9 model that adds nothing new to bring to the more advanced engine.

I too liked their bird in FSX but it was dated, but it was also modestly priced so I did not complain. Now that I have a more advanced simulator and hardware, I want the better quality in a plane to justify full price, not just a recompilation of changing from 32 bit to 64 bit, or if that's the case, then offer as a free upgrade or very low upgrade fee.

wombat666
January 19th, 2018, 05:39

Bjoern, I paid for the original FS9 release and was happy with it, then I paid for the FSX release and it was much the same as the original, for P3D4 I expect a proper upgrade at a 'previous client' discount, nothing outrageous, just a few $$$$ off for being a previous customer.
:173go1:

Bjoern
January 19th, 2018, 12:17
Well, if pricing policy is the actual heart of the matter, I wholeheartedly agree. Not even offering a discount for existing owners is really bad practice. And yes, the feature list of the P3Dv4 model does not imply any significant improvements to warrant the repurchase at all.

However, the trend of senselessly wasting polygons and texture resolution needs to be halted. I've had to return two payware add-ons by now (probably soon to be increased to three) because they were hogging too much of my CPU and GPU (i4670K at 4.2GHz and a GTX1060, by now means slow), leaving too little for the rest that composes a living, believable environment. And even a GPU-centric 64bit simulator will reach its breaking point when each and every object in the simulator goes into the rendering pipeline with elbows outstretched, regardless of hardware. And with the increased demands imposed by ever larger screens and postprocessing for VR, you'll have another limit on what is doable.

Sky Simulations attains a good middle gorund here. Enough detail to be interesting while not imposing unreasonable demands on the rendering engine and having a degree of complexity under the hood, without delving into operationally unnecessary details as its competitor. Plus it covers (not perfectly, I'll have to admit) the entire DC-9 model range which greatly increases the bang for the bucks.

Honestly enough, I've never expected a P3Dv4 release of the DC-9s at all, so I took measures to eliminate the C++ gauges from the cockpit. Most are related to the engines, which are due for a rebuild (both in terms of gauges and FDE) anyway. As for the remaining few C++ gauges, I'll have to think about what to do with them before I publich the next round of modifications.

jmig
January 19th, 2018, 16:57
... Now that I have a more advanced simulator and hardware, I want the better quality in a plane to justify full price,..

That system is not"advanced simulator and hardware." It is a freaking beast of a demon!

Envy. envy, envy. :encouragement:

strykerpsg
January 21st, 2018, 00:26
That system is not"advanced simulator and hardware." It is a freaking beast of a demon!

Envy. envy, envy. :encouragement:

Perhaps a Hellcat is better description. Thanks for the kudos however......:ernaehrung004:

Navy Chief
January 22nd, 2018, 10:02
But is the C-9 pack available and compatible with P3D V4? I know the main DC-9 is. NC

strykerpsg
January 22nd, 2018, 15:05
But is the C-9 pack available and compatible with P3D V4? I know the main DC-9 is. NC

NC, wasn't it just a paint kit, I mean skin pack? I did not buy it but I don't remember the interior being modeled any differently. In other words, if the base package works, it would seem the skin pack would work as well.

Bjoern
January 25th, 2018, 07:26

I don't have it installed at the moment, but it was just repaints and an additional model at best. So yes, it should be P3Dv4 compatible.

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2018, 10:51
Ok, so I just bought the DC-9 and installed it.

Also downloaded the "expansion pack" from Just Flight, as it was listed as well.

The problem is, when I click to install the "expansion pack", I immediately get the following pop up screen:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57431&stc=1

The "expansion pack" downloaded file is clearly named: SKYC-9_P3D_v2_Expansion_Setup v2 expansion pack, so it is not the base pack, or shouldn't be. I don't understand what is wrong here?

Here is a screenshot from my Just Flight order page, clearly showing the two download links:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57433&stc=1

And when I check the installed aircraft, the expansion pack is clearly NOT installed:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57434&stc=1

So can anyone advise me on what to do next? Thanks. I really don't care about flying any of the base aircraft; I want to fly the USN C9! NC

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2018, 11:13
More information on the problem.

On the Sky Simulations website, for their DC-9, at the bottom of the page, it clearly shows the expansion pack information for the C-9.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57436&stc=1

When I click on it, it goes to a dead link page::banghead:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57437&stc=1

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2018, 12:47
Update:

I was able to install the C-9 series, although I had to do so manually. But I do have another problem of sorts, in that there is no Cargo version as in the FSX version. There is a panel for doors, which include a cargo door, but none of the liveries have a cargo door that opens. The C-9 SHOULD have a cargo door, but it does not, at least in this "updated" version.

Am unable to locate any information as to why it does not. NC

Bjoern
January 25th, 2018, 14:24
I could try to help, but get the same install error for the FSX version as you do/did ("Newer version", blah, blah).
The version from the JustFlight store says that another product is already installed.

As good as Sky Simulations is with the DC-9, their installers are configured to be nearly useless (see the livery installers).

- Edit:

Had to uninstall the DC-9 to be able to install the C-9 (to a temporary folder). Weird.

The cargo door on the A and B model is toggled by the wing fold command.

- Editē:

It's the "Service Cars" button on the control panel. (As stated in the operations manual page 19.)

You really need to work your documentation before trying to touch anything, Chief!

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2018, 14:26
I could try to help, but get the same install error for the FSX version as you do/did ("Newer version", blah, blah).
The version from the JustFlight store says that another product is already installed.

As good as Sky Simulations is with the DC-9, their installers are configured to be nearly useless (see the livery installers).

I figured it all out. Gotta get something to eat, but will explain how I did it in a bit.

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2018, 14:44
Got a few minutes to explain..

Ok. First thing is install the Expansion pack to the directory it defaults to in the installer. For me it was D:/P3DPath.... Make a copy of that directory and put it on your desktop!

Then install the main DC-9 pack. You will have to manually move the textures/models to the DC-9-30 in the Skysimulations install in P3D (leastwise I had to). Then all was there, including the C9 models.

As for the cargo door, there IS a cargo door, but the panel for it says something different. But it does work. NC

Bjoern
January 25th, 2018, 15:30
Got a few minutes to explain..

Ok. First thing is install the Expansion pack to the directory it defaults to in the installer. For me it was D:/P3DPath.... Make a copy of that directory and put it on your desktop!

Then install the main DC-9 pack. You will have to manually move the textures/models to the DC-9-30 in the Skysimulations install in P3D (leastwise I had to). Then all was there, including the C9 models.

As for the cargo door, there IS a cargo door, but the panel for it says something different. But it does work. NC

Yep, that's what I ultimately figured out, too. After that, I've zipped up the C-9 folders for future installations and stored the archive someplace safe so that I won't have to deal with that counterintuitive procedure again.

On a more positive note, once installed, you are free to move the DC-9s folders anywhere you like. So it's perfectly safe to make a backup that won't require use of the installers for recovery.
Here's a list of files:

Effects folder: fx_recog.fx and any file starting with "fx_SKY..." as well as "effects\texture\SKYLT.bmp"
"Manuals" folder: "Skysim... .pdf" documents
The "Sound\SKYDC9" folder.
And the "SKYSIM DC..." folders (in SimObjects\Airplanes) containing the aircraft related files.

And not sure whether it's necessary for running the DC-9 or not, but your registration information is stored in the Windows Registry (run Regedit.exe) under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SKYSIM" (if on 64bit Windows, otherwise I figure it's "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SKYSIM"). You can export the entire key and its subkeys by right clicking "SKYSIM" and "Export". Save it somewhere convienient as a .reg file. Inserting it again, if necessary, is as easy as double-clicking the .reg file.

And finally, you can move the "SKYSIM DC9-10" to "SKYSIM DC9-50" folders out of your P3D folder (or delete them) if you don't want them. Just don't touch the C-9's and "SKYSIM DC-9" folder.

Navy Chief
January 26th, 2018, 06:37
Thanks Bjoern!

Btw,

I downloaded a replacement sound file from AVSIM that I like MUCH better than the one Sky Sim has:

Category: Flight Simulator X - Sounds (https://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fsxsnds)

Pratt and Whitney JT8D Mega Sound Pack
https://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (https://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=174859) https://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=174859)

Images related to this file:

pw_jt8d_madness_x_final-1.png (https://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=375704)

File Description:
SkyHigh Audio Simulations is proud to present our biggest project yet, Pratt & Whitney JT8D Madness X! This huge add-on features different sounds for all P&W JT8D powered planes from the 727 to the MD-80. Options for hush-kit or non-hushkit are included. Options for different interior sound point of views are included such as cockpit or passenger cabin. 3D Sound Cone technology has been used extensively with these sounds. Versions included: Boeing 727 JT8D "Early" and "Late" versions with options for hushkitted or non-hushkitted and two interior sound options. Same thing for the DC-9 versions. 737-200 version included with three interior sound options (Cockpit, cabin front, and cabin rear). MD-80 and 727RE versions with two interior sound options and finally the Sud-Aviation Caravelle 10/11 JT8D-7B with two interior sound options. Note: JT8D "Early" refers to JT8D-1 thru to JT8D-7B. JT8D "Late" refers to JT8D-9A thru to JT8D-17R. Please visit our website at: www.skyhighflightsim.webs.com (http://www.skyhighflightsim.webs.com) for more info and sound packs!

Filename:
pw_jt8d_madness_x_final.zip

License:
Freeware

Added:
29th January 2013, 20:01:06

Downloads:

Author:
Adam Murphy and Jesse Casserly - Skyhigh Audio Simulations

Size:
308172kb

I DO have another question though. I have noticed that when in the cockpit, when looking straight ahead, the sound level is minimal, compared to when I turn my head left or right (am using TrackIR). NC

Bjoern
January 27th, 2018, 05:33
Yep, that's the one I'm using, too.

coolguy3
January 29th, 2018, 09:23
Quick question about availability - I bought the DC-9 for P3D via download through Simmarket a few weeks back, but since the C-9 variant link on the SkySim website is invalid, is it possible to get the installer somewhere else? (I sent an email to them about the invalid link).
Thanks,
Jim

Bjoern
January 30th, 2018, 02:54
The link on the product page for the FSX version works. Not sure if you can get it installed that way, but it'd be worth a try.

coolguy3
January 30th, 2018, 09:46
Thanks, Bjoern. I did download that file, but I'm a little leery about trying to install it into P3D v4.1, as I'm not sure it will work, or perhaps cause a problem w/P3D. That was one of the questions I asked in my email to SkySim, but as yet have not received a reply.

Bjoern
January 31st, 2018, 07:05
Thanks, Bjoern. I did download that file, but I'm a little leery about trying to install it into P3D v4.1, as I'm not sure it will work, or perhaps cause a problem w/P3D. That was one of the questions I asked in my email to SkySim, but as yet have not received a reply.

Directly asking the developer is naturally the best course of action, but apart from an invalid product key for FSX-related releases, I don't see why the FSX version shouldn't work out.

coolguy3
January 31st, 2018, 09:07
SkySim emailed me back yesterday, stating they had experienced a server crash, and that they are rebuilding everything, including the C-9 installer, and will re-upload it later this week. I'll wait and try to get that file at the end of this week....will report back.
Thx,
Jim

coolguy3
February 6th, 2018, 09:08
FYI - The C-9 installer for P3D v4.1 is now back on their website at www.skysimulations.com (http://www.skysimulations.com). I just installed it without any problems and did a quick circuit in the Skytrain...works fine! :jump:
Jim

Navy Chief
February 7th, 2018, 07:24
Well, I uninstalled my Skysim DC-9 and the expansion pack (that I had manually installed, as the auto installer for the expansion pack did not work). I reinstalled, using the new installers. Main aircraft package reinstalled, no problem, but not the expansion pack. Same problem as before.

But still able to install expansion pack, no problem.

No idea why it won't work. All I know is I have my C9 back. Don't really care about any of the other paints! NC

Valencia
March 2nd, 2018, 07:10
The VS on the autopilot is defect. It climbs and sinks fine, but will not Level out. When scoling the vertical speed Wheel it will jump form +100 ft to -100 (no 0 in between).
Anyone else experience this?
Any advice apreciated!!