PDA

View Full Version : Thorp Update 2/14

N2056
February 14th, 2009, 11:18
One of the more interesting aspects of this project has had to do with the fact that I am modeling a homebuilt plane. Even though it was built to a set of plans there are many places where the builder can be creative. In this case our Thorp uses a trim wheel made of plexiglass, and there is no indication of what the pitch trim is set at. While it works fine for us in the real world I know that most sim fliers would like to be able to see an indication, so here is one of those times where I have taken a bit of artistic liscense and added that feature. The roll trim also has no position indication, but since it is not used as frequently as pitch trim I have decided not to show a position for it. The label on the knob works for me! :d

75642 75643

mike_cyul
February 14th, 2009, 11:57
Really nice. Just love the attention to detail. :applause:

Mike

Marlin
February 15th, 2009, 20:54
WOW
:ernae::ernae::ernae:
That is seriously cool

MCDesigns
February 16th, 2009, 05:59
Love the detail in the second shot Robert!

Seeing as you have the real thing for reference, do you find yourself second guessing on whether to model the additional detail/parts or leaving them out/using textures?

N2056
February 16th, 2009, 11:05
Micheal, that's a great question...

If I know what a given thing looks like I tend to model it. That is partly due to the fact that I really like 3-d modeling, and partly because I'm not nearly as good at making artwork! :costumes:

Currently the Thorp model is just under 70K polys. I've been working hard on the drawcall concept, and the plane seems to be doing okay on frames according to my testers.

JoeW
February 16th, 2009, 12:02
Robert .. While you take that artistic liscense .... just scribe a red line on that disk.... That'll help a lot.

N2056
February 16th, 2009, 13:02
Joe, I did consider that option, and it's a good idea...but the wheel rotates more than 360*.