PDA

View Full Version : New PREPAR3D v4 install - Video card question

Odie
January 4th, 2018, 15:09
Hello All,

I am preparing to install PrePar3D V4. Got the instructions from LM on how to install. I do have a question on my video card.

It is an NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders card with 8 gigs. Do I still need NVidia Inspector, or has NVidia corrected the issue that caused the need for Inspector
in earlier cards?

My PC stats:

Intel Core I7 7700K 4.5 ghz 4 core
1 SSD 1TB
2 6TB WD diskdrives
Liquid cooling
No overclocking
(4) 16 gig 3000 MHz Ripjaws V DDR4
SB ZX soundcard
Blu-Ray reader
Blu-Ray writer
WIN 10 Pro

Any and all advice welcome!
Thanks,
Odie

jmig
January 4th, 2018, 15:47
Nope!

I have read on other site where so called experts recommend not using the Nvidia programs. They claim the NVidia programs are no longer needed.

evvatc
January 4th, 2018, 16:34
I have a similar setup with a 1080. The only change I have made in the drivers is under the power management option. Just make sure you have it set for maximum performance. You don't need Inspector to make that adjustment, it is available through the Nvidia Control Panel. As far as AA adjustments, I make those through in P3D settings. What size/resolution monitor are you using?

strykerpsg
January 4th, 2018, 16:38
I have a similar setup with a 1080. The only change I have made in the drivers is under the power management option. Just make sure you have it set for maximum performance. You don't need Inspector to make that adjustment, it is available through the Nvidia Control Panel. As far as AA adjustments, I make those through in P3D settings. What size/resolution monitor are you using?

Hmmm, I did not know this....where did you find that info by chance? I will update mine tonight and see if I can tweak it a bit more. Does SLI benefit the sim at all?

Odie
January 4th, 2018, 17:35

Hey evvatc, it is a 24" monitor with native 1920 x 1080. Thanks!

RobM
January 4th, 2018, 20:10
I'm currently trying NI out for it's frame limiter, triple buffering, and v-sync instead of those in P3Dv4. I had read about this in
various places. You turn off P3Dv4's own v-sync and triple buffering, and set it's frame rate limiter to unlimited, and then turn
on these settings in NI (I have a 60hz monitor with an older system, so I used NI's 30 fps v2 limiter, and set NI's v-sync to
1/2 refresh rate).

It does seem to make P3Dv4 a bit smoother overall, although I still get a lag or stutter if I swivel the outside view around the
plane really fast.

But other than that, I haven't found any other use for NI. The NI settings that seemed to help fps in FSX just seem to cause
stutters in P3Dv4.

- Rob

evvatc
January 5th, 2018, 05:40
Hmmm, I did not know this....where did you find that info by chance? I will update mine tonight and see if I can tweak it a bit more. Does SLI benefit the sim at all?

Here’s a link on where to adjust the power management settings. I believe this just makes sure you you isn't throttling back which may cause performance drops. As for SLI, I run a single card so I’m. It sure of the effects.

I know higher res monitors can use lower AA settings. I ran v4.1 on a 27” monitor at 1080 and if I recall correctly I may have experienced some texture shimmering that required a higher AA setting to mitigate. I recently went to a 4K monitor which resolved the issue and I was able lower the AA settings in P3D. I’m currently using 4xMSAA in P3D and the default profile in NI except the power management setting above.

evvatc
January 5th, 2018, 05:43
I guess it would help if I actually attached the link.... http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

odourboy
January 5th, 2018, 06:12
I'm currently trying NI out for it's frame limiter, triple buffering, and v-sync instead of those in P3Dv4. I had read about this in
various places. You turn off P3Dv4's own v-sync and triple buffering, and set it's frame rate limiter to unlimited, and then turn
on these settings in NI (I have a 60hz monitor with an older system, so I used NI's 30 fps v2 limiter, and set NI's v-sync to
1/2 refresh rate).

It does seem to make P3Dv4 a bit smoother overall, although I still get a lag or stutter if I swivel the outside view around the
plane really fast.

But other than that, I haven't found any other use for NI. The NI settings that seemed to help fps in FSX just seem to cause
stutters in P3Dv4.

- Rob
I don't know about NI frame rate limiter (never tried it) but NI Vsync doesn't have any effect with P3D V4.

RobM
January 5th, 2018, 08:05
I don't know about NI frame rate limiter (never tried it) but NI Vsync doesn't have any effect with P3D V4.

That`s interesting. As said, I was just trying something out. But now I`m wondering if it would be better to delete NI
entirely just to get an extra level of processing out of the way.

Thanks - Rob

odourboy
January 5th, 2018, 08:56
That`s interesting. As said, I was just trying something out. But now I`m wondering if it would be better to delete NI
entirely just to get an extra level of processing out of the way.

Thanks - Rob
I don't think the NI incurs any overhead. AFAIK, the NVidia application specific profiles exist regardless. NI is just a means of editing the profiles to maximum depth. A subset of the profile settings can be access through the NVidia Control Panel.

I wouldn't toss it anyway. Just because VSync doesn't work, doesn't mean there may be value in modifying other settings. Also, other games, such as X-Plane can benefit by profile settings.

evvatc
January 5th, 2018, 11:53
I experienced some performance issues when trying the NVidia Inspector frame rate limiter. When using the NI limiter combined with having child windows open for gauges, GPS, or in my case the VDI and HSD in my Tomcat simpit the FPS wound drop to single digits. It took me awhile to figure out that it was the NI fps limiter causing it and only when other panel windows were open.

I set my FPS slider to unlimited with VSync and buffering checked in P3D. I run my monitor refresh at 30hz and it provides me with the smoothest experience I have tested.

strykerpsg
January 7th, 2018, 03:50
Thanks for many of the great suggestions team. Had I not gotten into this conversation, I would have not realized my cards were not running in SLI mode. They are now and wow, what a difference. I can now run everything almost maxed without a huge drop in FPS. I will indeed continue to tweak and monitor the thread.