PDA

View Full Version : Milviz f-4j/s

Tool
January 3rd, 2018, 11:38
Hi all,

I know I will probably get blasted but here it is, I have the MILVIZ TAC/ADV J/S Phantom and cannot drop bombs or shoot guns at all. I think I tried all variations possible. The Phorums are saying a tutorial is coming, but I just wanted to know if anyone here had any luck with weapons. I looked at the Youtube tutorial but it is for the "Echo" model.

If anyone has been successful please help. Thanks!

Tool

strykerpsg
January 3rd, 2018, 14:19
Hi all,

I know I will probably get blasted but here it is, I have the MILVIZ TAC/ADV J/S Phantom and cannot drop bombs or shoot guns at all. I think I tried all variations possible. The Phorums are saying a tutorial is coming, but I just wanted to know if anyone here had any luck with weapons. I looked at the Youtube tutorial but it is for the "Echo" model.

If anyone has been successful please help. Thanks!

Tool

Perhaps a dumb question, but you do also own TacPack, correct? Though I have yet to get to dropping bombs, I am quite certain TacPack is a prerequisite to drop or fire ordinance for either of the Phantoms.

Tool
January 3rd, 2018, 18:53
Not a dumb question at all. Yes, I have Tacpack installed. I even loaded Dino's Tomcat to make sure I could drop bombs. I have almost every single Naval A/C installed (I'm a Navy Chief, ABH type) so this here is fun for me. I really like the vintage stuff mostly.

strykerpsg
January 3rd, 2018, 21:10
Have you checked into the Milviz forums? They are usually quite responsive and have a pretty faithful following that might also be able to help if no one here does. Apologies for not being much help. I really love the model, but just getting spun back into flight sim again and now enduring the agonizingly slow'ish process of programming my HOTAS. However, with the great AI Naval ships pack, Sim Works Studios nice carrier AI (and their continued work on carrier AI traffic) and add to this, Milviz F-4J/S models, very much looking forward to trapping aboard a nicely detailed simulation of naval aviation.

Hope you get it resolved. Also, one last tidbit, did you ****? : )

Tool
January 4th, 2018, 10:45
Yeah I checked the Milviz forums. The manual and tutorial are coming. I was just hoping someone had an early solution.

strykerpsg
January 4th, 2018, 16:36
Yeah I checked the Milviz forums. The manual and tutorial are coming. I was just hoping someone had an early solution.

:applause: They really are a great team and will accommodate most requests promptly. Hope it gets sorted out.

Victory103
January 4th, 2018, 17:59
Tool,
Much of the issues are switchology related and I'm sure the information is coming. I tested the FSX-A F-4S as I was just coming off the SWS F-4B/N and the cockpit looks familiar. As you can see in the MV F-4E Tacpack tutorial, alot of work has gone into making sure you have the buttons set up, obvious by the amount of detail in the vid. From one of the MV coders:

For manual bombing mode on the gunsight, set the MIL setting on the wheel that is just to the left of the gunsight mode knob (it is hidden under a CAGE lever).
For all bombing modes:
Set the LABS switch to DIRECT
INST O/S switch to INST O/S
On the dogbone:
Set fuse to ARM NOSE & TAIL or NOSE
Set WPN SEL knob to RIPPLE, PAIRS, or SINGLE
Set STA SEL knob to desired stations
Set INTRVL switch to desired interval.
WPNS switch must be CONV ON, NUCL OFF.

CRV bombing mode is like Dive-Toss in the F-4E. Radar must be in A-G range mode.
On the dogbone, set DL/BOMB switch to AUTO.
Place gunsight reticle on the target. Press and hold pickle button. Pull up until bomb releases, indicated by pull up light on the canopy frame.

FDI gunsight mode is INOP due to lack of info

CDI gunsight mode is CCIP. Radar must be in A-G range mode.
For CDI and MAN bombing modes, set the DL/BOMB switch on the dogbone to MANUAL. Pickle button to release.

odourboy
January 5th, 2018, 04:42
I was trying this out myself last night and made some progress. I did not try any bombs yet but I was able to fire sidewinder, sparrows and guns. One critical configuration item is to set up weapons select buttons for 'heat missiles, 'guns' and 'radar missile' in the MVAMS as I couldn't find any VC controls to select these (they may be there, but I couldn't find them). Each of these is fired using the Trigger (configured in TacPack). Note that you may need to pull and HOLD the trigger to fire the weapon. A short pull and release of the trigger in the case of the sidewinder (for example) advances the station select rather than fire the current selection so you need to hold it to fire. Finally, there are some restrictions around firing missiles and guns that are mounted near the center stations (not all of which i know) to further confuse the novice.

Hang in there !

PhantomTweak
January 5th, 2018, 11:28
Just think of all the fun the real pilot/RIO teams have, learning all this, as well as flying the plane properly! :dizzy:
By rote. It would have to be instinctive, or at least second nature to them. All from memory. No time for reading during a combat situation.

Kinda gives one a new respect for not only their flying skills, but the brains, and teamwork, they need. In combat, with all the stress that implies. AND they need to communicate to the others in their flight, GCI controllers, airborne Radar Controllers, etc etc. Clearly, consicely, getting important information to others quickly. AND still perform their mission. Bombing, CAP, whatever.

Not to mention their real stessor, recovering aboard a carrier. Maybe at night. Maybe in bad weather. Maybe in a plane with combat damage of some kind. Or maybe just a failure the Phantoms were prone to. Or any combination of the above. Sheesh!

And to think, I used to have to fix the radars in those things. I had it easy, compared to the pilot/RIO types.
Pat☺

Tool
January 5th, 2018, 13:03
Thank you so much Victory103. That got me going. I bombed the wake, then trapped.

Appreciate everyones help!

Respectfully,

Tool

awstub
January 5th, 2018, 15:54
As much as fighter pilots like to act like they are perfect, they do make mistakes on rare occasion.

My dad flew F-4E's on his second Southeast Asia combat tour (1972) and he recently gave me copies of the notes that he wrote after each mission. I found it interesting that there is a note from his third mission where he chided himself for not setting the armament switches correctly and having to make a second pass.
During his first tour (B-57B in 1966) he kept all of his mission cards and wrote the notes on them. One of those cards has a note about not dive bombing with napalm. Apparently the paint got a little singed on that mission.

Just think of all the fun the real pilot/RIO teams have, learning all this, as well as flying the plane properly! :dizzy:
By rote. It would have to be instinctive, or at least second nature to them. All from memory. No time for reading during a combat situation.

Kinda gives one a new respect for not only their flying skills, but the brains, and teamwork, they need. In combat, with all the stress that implies. AND they need to communicate to the others in their flight, GCI controllers, airborne Radar Controllers, etc etc. Clearly, consicely, getting important information to others quickly. AND still perform their mission. Bombing, CAP, whatever.

Not to mention their real stessor, recovering aboard a carrier. Maybe at night. Maybe in bad weather. Maybe in a plane with combat damage of some kind. Or maybe just a failure the Phantoms were prone to. Or any combination of the above. Sheesh!

And to think, I used to have to fix the radars in those things. I had it easy, compared to the pilot/RIO types.
Pat☺

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2018, 17:03
Ok, I just need to know how to get ordnance to appear attached to the aircraft? I select them in the menu, but when I go to external view, there's nothing there. What am I doing wrong? NC

odourboy
January 5th, 2018, 19:06
Ok, I just need to know how to get ordnance to appear attached to the aircraft? I select them in the menu, but when I go to external view, there's nothing there. What am I doing wrong? NC

Drag and drop over to the right onto the aircraft Chief

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2018, 20:24
Drag and drop over to the right onto the aircraft Chief

That is what I am doing, and it shows in the load out diagram that I have selected ordnance and is placed. But nothing shows up on the actual aircraft; only in the load out manager. NC

Tool
January 6th, 2018, 00:29
Has anyone calibrated the Milviz Phantom for the Midway and Coral Sea? What is the optimum AOA? I keep getting a 'Power' call when I'm fast!

rvn817j
January 6th, 2018, 05:07
That is what I am doing, and it shows in the load out diagram that I have selected ordnance and is placed. But nothing shows up on the actual aircraft; only in the load out manager. NC

I had a similar issue so I uninstalled and reinstalled the Milviz F-4 TP module. Not yet figured out how to launch ordnance, but at least I can see it!

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2018, 12:36
I had a similar issue so I uninstalled and reinstalled the Milviz F-4 TP module. Not yet figured out how to launch ordnance, but at least I can see it!

This is what I see inside and out. :banghead: NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56847&stc=1 Armament indicated, right?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56848&stc=1 Nada, zip, zero.

odourboy
January 6th, 2018, 14:49
This is what I see inside and out. :banghead: NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56847&stc=1 Armament indicated, right?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56848&stc=1 Nada, zip, zero.
Yep, looks like a problem. :banghead:

Did you try reinstalling the TPADV package? Did you manually move your F-4 S/J aircraft folders at some point prior to running the TPADV install? Looks like a job for the MilViz support forum.

RobM
January 6th, 2018, 15:28
.. and just to confirm, you also went into the Miviz MVAMS and clicked on the F-4J&S to make sure you had all available updates?

Just a thought. But I suspect you'll need to talk to Milviz.

- Rob

RobM
January 6th, 2018, 17:08
Sorry Chief for not getting back sooner with more info.

The reason I mentioned making sure you had all updates for the J/S, was because the exact same thing
happened to me with my J/S install last May in FSX, and I was looking at my emails back and forth with Oisin
about it. What was causing this for me in FSX (load outs showing loaded in the menu but not on the actual plane)
was interference from Tacpack. If I turned Tacpack off, then the J/S load outs worked fine. But I can't find the
support topic on the Milviz forums or the final email with the solution to getting Tacpack and my J/S load
out menu to play together. If memory serves, I think I had been missing an update for the J/S.

That was in FSX, not P3Dv4. But if you have Tacpack, try turning Tacpack off, and then try loading the J/S,
and see what happens.

I don't know if this is any help at all, but I thought I would mention.

- Rob

RobM
January 6th, 2018, 18:43
Ah! Attention Chief: I found the problem and was able to reproduce it: there's a tickbox in the Tacpack Configuration
Manager called "Inhibit Tacpack Object Creation". That needs to be unticked, or you get the results for the J/S load
manager mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

- Rob

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2018, 18:54
Good heavens, no need to apologize! I appreciate your suggestions. Regarding Tacpack, is it normally left on? NC

Sorry Chief for not getting back sooner with more info.

The reason I mentioned making sure you had all updates for the J/S, was because the exact same thing
happened to me with my J/S install last May in FSX, and I was looking at my emails back and forth with Oisin
about it. What was causing this for me in FSX (load outs showing loaded in the menu but not on the actual plane)
was interference from Tacpack. If I turned Tacpack off, then the J/S load outs worked fine. But I can't find the
support topic on the Milviz forums or the final email with the solution to getting Tacpack and my J/S load
out menu to play together. If memory serves, I think I had been missing an update for the J/S.

That was in FSX, not P3Dv4. But if you have Tacpack, try turning Tacpack off, and then try loading the J/S,
and see what happens.

I don't know if this is any help at all, but I thought I would mention.

- Rob

RobM
January 6th, 2018, 19:17
I usually leave Tacpack on all the time, since many planes require it and won't work without it.

But see my post above about the "Inhibit Object Creation" button in the Tacpack Configuration Manager. I had that off myself,
and when I ticked it on, I found it reproduced the problem of no selected load outs appearing on the J/S.

But I was too quick posting above: when I went back and unticked the button, I found that my J/S load manager now permanently
had this problem of no selected weapons appearing on the plane, even with the button unticked.

So I'll make sure the button is unticked, then re-install using the last J/S update from just before Christmas. Hopefully that will fix.

Maybe I should let Oisin know over at Milviz.

Thanks - Rob

Navy Chief
January 8th, 2018, 07:28
Seems to be fixed now. I bought the ADV add-on from Milviz last night and installed this morning. Ordnance shows up now. NC

Naruto-kun
January 9th, 2018, 03:19
To shed a little light on what is actually happening here, the F-4 products consist of a base package + addon packages. For the F-4E, the addon packages are TACPACK and ADV (ADV was an unplanned latecomer on the scene). Since we had ADV available when we started the J/S TACPACK development, we combined the 2 into a single addon package.

Without the TACPACK addon package, (or TP/ADV for the F-4S/J), the loadout manager will be unable to function correctly while TACPACK is running. Best option is to set TACPACK loads to Prompt in the TPM if you don't have the addon package.

Since we are now able to integrate TACPACK during development of an aircraft (eg like the F-15C or F-105), it will function without any additional packages.

tgladman
August 11th, 2019, 13:49
I have also tried dropping bombs in my F-J and F-4S versions, but despite checking all the switches nothing drops. Guns and sidewinders work fine in air to air, but nothing for air to ground. Video tutorials I have seen show the F-4E, but not the F-4J or F-4S. :banghead:

tgladman
August 14th, 2019, 22:51
Problem solved. I found a conflict between the TacPack pickle key combination and the SimWorks Studios vLSO radio key combination.