PDA

View Full Version : Warthog HOTAS settings

strykerpsg
January 1st, 2018, 18:26
Team,

Having been out of simming for a few years but closely followed the forums, I have finally gotten the machine and sim that looks and works great without the former OOM messages so common in FSX. Luckily, I brought my Warthog HOTAS to Korea with me, in anticipation of flying the virtual skies again. What I have not kept up with is the best way to program or use the Warthog HOTAS in sim.

So, my question to you Warthog users (other non-Warthog users too ;) ) is how do you use your HOTAS? There's such a plethora of switches, POV hats, axis sliders, etc to overwhelm unless you are only flying one particular aircraft. However, the beauty of FSX and P3D is the vast variety of aircraft available to to sim in. Do you just go into the settings menu and program each and every switch to work the same for all aircraft or do you customize each aircraft with it's own set up?

Thanks and loving the new addons for this beauty each week they come out.

roger-wilco-66
January 1st, 2018, 20:42
I only have the stick because I use a double Saitek throttle system. The stick is awesome in quality and feel.

I divided the buttons in aircraft functions and controlling the chaseplane camera, but I recently had the idea to buy a special stick or controller (a MIDI controller would be cool) for the camera. That would free the Warthog buttons again.

I also like about the Warthog that you can easily make or buy extensions for it, that's another thing on my list. The base is robust enough for that and one could mount it to a lowered base, attaching it in front of the seat.

Lot of ideas for that! :-)

Cheers,
Mark

strykerpsg
January 1st, 2018, 21:57
Mark,

I am all in for total immersion. With my forthcoming OR this month, I think the most logical approach is to use same button/switchs/sliders for all aircraft, so my hands can better be used to their appropriate functions without having to look at them. I bought MonsterTech's very robust HOTAS desk clamp stands. Very nice, but need to see if someone in the States can help me with some extension hardware to allow it to mount and clamp firmly onto my current PC desk.

Like your ideas. Did you use Thrustmaster's control panel to configure your button settings on your joystick or just programmed within P3D options menu?

Jen
January 1st, 2018, 22:06
I only have the stick because I use a double Saitek throttle system. The stick is awesome in quality and feel.

I divided the buttons in aircraft functions and controlling the chaseplane camera, but I recently had the idea to buy a special stick or controller (a MIDI controller would be cool) for the camera. That would free the Warthog buttons again.

I also like about the Warthog that you can easily make or buy extensions for it, that's another thing on my list. The base is robust enough for that and one could mount it to a lowered base, attaching it in front of the seat.

Lot of ideas for that! :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Have you seen this one Mark. Just saw it a month ago. Fantastic device, super easy to deal with, and you can put your warthog precisely where you want it. :encouragement:

https://www.monstertech.de/en/

Soren

sp762
January 1st, 2018, 23:05
I use SPAD: Next with mine, to make it easier to fly different planes without fiddling with settings.

strykerpsg
January 1st, 2018, 23:35
Have you seen this one Mark. Just saw it a month ago. Fantastic device, super easy to deal with, and you can put your warthog precisely where you want it. :encouragement:

Soren

That is exactly the device I mentioned above, very nice and robust, however, needs a bit more space between the clamp and clamping device. That's the help I currently need with someone understanding hardware and spacers.

strykerpsg
January 1st, 2018, 23:36
I use SPAD: Next with mine, to make it easier to fly different planes without fiddling with settings.

SPAD is a program for Thrustmaster or a generic program?

It says it's designed for Saitek....

DaveWG
January 2nd, 2018, 01:09
I use FSUIPC to set up my Warthog, with profiles for different aircraft. I use the Thrustmaster drivers but not the Target software.
Mostly got view controls on the stick hats, with light switches programmed to the row switches on the throttle base. Other controls vary depending on aircraft type (GA, Mil, airliner etc).

DaveWG
January 2nd, 2018, 01:14

Soren

I like the look of those. Thanks for the link. :encouragement:

evvatc
January 2nd, 2018, 03:35
I use FSUIPC to set up my Warthog, with profiles for different aircraft. I use the Thrustmaster drivers but not the Target software.

I do the same. FSUIPC and Thrustmaster drivers. Target is installed but I don't use it for setup. I have profiles saved for different aircraft in FSUIPC.

roger-wilco-66
January 2nd, 2018, 04:08
Awesome thread! Thanks for the monstertech link!! That seems to be a must-have. I was about to fabricate something like that myself.

As for the controller buttons, I use Spad.NEXT for that. I also have a full set of Saitek panels, for which I need Spad in the first place.

Cheers,
Mark

deimos256
January 2nd, 2018, 11:05
I own the monster tech mounts and I can say they are worth every penny. 100% solid mounting of the Warthog and They can be removed with the flick of a lever.

YoYo
January 2nd, 2018, 13:18
I have whole set, throttle and stick. Its the best HOTAS on the World.
Im user from the first of month when Warthog was released: http://s5.ifotos.pl/img/Nowy-3JPG_qxseaxe.jpg
I use it with TARGET only (each simulator has own profile, in DCS each plane).
I advise it for sure.

strykerpsg
January 2nd, 2018, 20:32
I have whole set, throttle and stick. Its the best HOTAS on the World.
Im user from the first of month when Warthog was released: http://s5.ifotos.pl/img/Nowy-3JPG_qxseaxe.jpg
I use it with TARGET only (each simulator has own profile, in DCS each plane).
I advise it for sure.

Thanks YoYo. Sort of leaning that way but daunted by the amount of programming to get each one their own feel. I just need to download the TARGET software tonight and see what it has inside.

strykerpsg
January 2nd, 2018, 20:33
I own the monster tech mounts and I can say they are worth every penny. 100% solid mounting of the Warthog and They can be removed with the flick of a lever.
Agreed. Loving them so far, just needing a bit more extension but very smartly designed and, as you say, very solid mounting.