PDA

View Full Version : Installation Problem with PC-12

falcon409
December 28th, 2017, 03:30
I already have a support ticket in the works at Carenado, but in the interim, has anyone ever run into an installation ERROR message that states that the Serial Number is not valid? I purchased the Carenado PC-12HD last evening and have had no luck getting past that error.

I do have Avast Pro and Malwarebytes running, but those were turned off during the installation attempts. These installers aren't rocket science and lord knows I've done enough of them with Carenado products, even a few days ago I ran the installer for the T-34B Mentor with no trouble at all. Anyway, just curious to see if anyone has run into this, either with this airplane in particular or any of Carenado's airplanes in general, as this is a first for me.

expat
December 28th, 2017, 06:45
Had same problem Ed with a reinstall of the PC12 for P3Dv4 not long ago. Several failed attempts. Carenado eventually found it was due to a misspelling in my email address.

falcon409
December 28th, 2017, 07:16
Had same problem Ed with a reinstall of the PC12 for P3Dv4 not long ago. Several failed attempts. Carenado eventually found it was due to a misspelling in my email address.
Thanks, I thought about that, but all instances of my email address are correct (on my account profile with Carenado, in the e-mail sent from Carenado with the download link and the email addy I typed into the installer). Virus Scan is off, Internet Download Mgr is turned off, everything is as it should be according to Carenado, but it just doesn't accept the serial number as a valid number.

lliaghll
December 28th, 2017, 10:07
You've probably thought of this too, but I've had problems when I mistakenly copied and pasted a space before or after the serial number.

falcon409
December 28th, 2017, 10:29
You've probably thought of this too, but I've had problems when I mistakenly copied and pasted a space before or after the serial number.
Thanks, no extra spaces here. I also turned off every safeguard on my system, antivirus, firewall, etc. and tried again, nothing. . .I tried several compatibility modes with no difference, it just won't accept the serial number. Carenado has been no help at all, simply resending me the same information over again and asking me if I'm connected to the internet. . .Duh!!

I have requested a refund as it is not going to install as it is right now. Too bad, I've been a longtime customer and honestly never had any problems with installations before. . .but this one and their lack of any intelligent response has left a bad taste in my mouth.

MrZippy
December 28th, 2017, 11:08
Thanks, no extra spaces here. I also turned off every safeguard on my system, antivirus, firewall, etc. and tried again, nothing. . .I tried several compatibility modes with no difference, it just won't accept the serial number. Carenado has been no help at all, simply resending me the same information over again and asking me if I'm connected to the internet. . .Duh!!

I have requested a refund as it is not going to install as it is right now. Too bad, I've been a longtime customer and honestly never had any problems with installations before. . .but this one and their lack of any intelligent response has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have never bought payware from Carenado, or anyone. When entering the serial number from the email they sent, is it a matter of copying and pasting the entire number into one box or is it like physically typing the numeric/alpha characters into individual boxes like when entering the FSX Product Key? Looking to see if there is any chance of a lower case L being misread as a one or an upper case O (OH) looking like a 0 (zero).

AussieMan
December 28th, 2017, 11:56
Have you thought about logging into your Carenado account and copying the password from there? Your problem happened to me several times and when I copied the password from the site it worked fine.

falcon409
December 28th, 2017, 13:59
Have you thought about logging into your Carenado account and copying the password from there? Your problem happened to me several times and when I copied the password from the site it worked fine.
Yes, done that several times, no joy. I can't think of anything else that could be interfering with this. Once you turn off the firewall, Windows Defender, Avast Pro and Malwarebytes what's left except a very vulnerable computer, yet it keeps giving me that stupid error message that the serial number isn't valid.

strykerpsg
December 28th, 2017, 14:04
I have never bought payware from Carenado, or anyone. When entering the serial number from the email they sent, is it a matter of copying and pasting the entire number into one box or is it like physically typing the numeric/alpha characters into individual boxes like when entering the FSX Product Key? Looking to see if there is any chance of a lower case L being misread as a one or an upper case O (OH) looking like a 0 (zero).

I have tried both, manually typing and cut and paste. However, cut and paste is always the better option because some characters can be confused with other, as you mentioned upper case o instead of a zero. The hassle with cut and paste is when there are multiple mini blocks to fill and you have to cut and paste a few of the items. Overall, nothing deal breaking, just a pain in the rear, but necessary to ease pirates.

falcon409
December 28th, 2017, 14:06
Yes, done that several times, no joy. I can't think of anything else that could be interfering with this. Once you turn off the firewall, Windows Defender, Avast Pro and Malwarebytes what's left except a very vulnerable computer, yet it keeps giving me that stupid error message that the serial number isn't valid.
I might be on to something here. I went back and tried to run the installer again but using an old email address I had used to purchase some aircraft ages ago. All it did was tell me the same thing. . .ERROR, the specified serial number is not valid.
It didn't say, the information you supplied is incorrect, or that's an incorrect email address. . .just the same error over and over again. It's as though it's being blocked before it ever gets to the point of verifying the number, but what the heck is blocking it?

UPDATE: I just tried installing the Centurion210, also the same error message. Something is rotten in Denmark here folks (no offense intended Huub and Cees), lol

expat
December 28th, 2017, 14:36
In my case I think Carenado somehow added a letter to my address. After several gyrations of new key codes and downloads failing THEY identified the error and all was good. I’ve found them responsive and human.
Don’t give up as the PC 12 is heavenly and worth having.

falcon409
December 28th, 2017, 15:06
In my case I think Carenado somehow added a letter to my address. After several gyrations of new key codes and downloads failing THEY identified the error and all was good. I’ve found them responsive and human.
Don’t give up as the PC 12 is heavenly and worth having.

Well, the extent of their "support" was to see if I was connected to the internet and then to send me the same download and serial number I already had. The fact that I can't install the Centurion tells me that either their server is messed up and unable to verify any serial numbers (which is doubtful) or something connected to the Win10 Creators update has stymied the installer. . .this stuff worked before that update installed.

gradyhappyg
December 28th, 2017, 16:05
Just for kicks tried reinstalling the C208 Caravan to FSX and no go same bad serial message. My guess is their server is borked like you guessed. I would give it a day or so and try to install again. I'll drop a support ticket with them so they know it's not just one person having issues.

falcon409
December 29th, 2017, 06:31
I have to agree that it might be their server, but if so I would think they'd be aware of it by now. It's perplexing to say the least. I have every security measure I'm aware of turned off, unless Win10 "Creator" added some hybrid security system that runs invisibly in the background and is the cause of this problem. Otherwise I don't know what else could be keeping the installer from being able to talk to their server. I tried running the installer about 20 minutes ago and I still get that same irritating error message: "The Serial Number is not valid". . .Carenado runs it on their system and it works fine. Grrrrrr.

falcon409
December 29th, 2017, 07:48
Just for kicks tried reinstalling the C208 Caravan to FSX and no go same bad serial message. My guess is their server is borked like you guessed. I would give it a day or so and try to install again. I'll drop a support ticket with them so they know it's not just one person having issues.
I meant to ask this last evening. . .what OS are you running? I have Win10 Creator 64bit.

falcon409
December 29th, 2017, 08:48
Problem solved, thanks to an attempt to install the F4U_Birdcage (which requires a serial Number verification). It also kicked out an error, but it was an error about connectivity, referencing my "proxy settings". . .which I don't use and never setup to run that way. Anyway I went into the "Internet Options" and unchecked the "proxy setting" checked "Lan" and rebooted and the PC-12HD Installer worked perfectly.

I don't know how that setting was added, or when it happened but my guess is that it happened during the "Creator" update.

gradyhappyg
December 29th, 2017, 12:10
Well Falcon instead of me helping you, you helped me. Same thing here, changed proxy settings because of one of those creators updates. Most likely the one that borked FSX with child windows errors for over a month till they finally fixed it. I would have never thought to check that. Unticked that setting and install went perfectly.

Thanks.

falcon409
December 29th, 2017, 12:49
Well Falcon instead of me helping you, you helped me. Same thing here, changed proxy settings because of one of those creators updates. Most likely the one that borked FSX with child windows errors for over a month till they finally fixed it. I would have never thought to check that. Unticked that setting and install went perfectly.

Thanks.
lol, Definitely one to watch in the future if a similar problem crops up again. Glad it fixed yours as well.

expat
December 29th, 2017, 12:54
Good news. Let us know how you like the Pilatus. Quite the versatile aircraft.

falcon409
December 29th, 2017, 13:20
Good news. Let us know how you like the Pilatus. Quite the versatile aircraft.
Already lovin' it. Took a flight from Key West out to Grand Bahamas and it was an awesome ride. Quiet interior, excellent frame rates given all the glass in the cockpit, very responsive and a nice hand flyer. I had the Flight1 PC-12 ages ago and missed it once it became obsolete with the newer Sims, so this is great to have it back in the hangar.

jmbiii
December 29th, 2017, 18:14
Ed,
Go flying up in Lapland with my repaint of the Finnish Air Force PC-12.
It's cold up at EFRO - 'Santa Claus International' this time of year!
Joe

expat
December 29th, 2017, 23:14
It can access almost bush like short fields. Try landing at Tipella or your Montauk or Fishers Island airports (I see real ones there often at the latter). Also fun to use in Switzerland like at the Orbx freeware Saanen.

Dimus
December 30th, 2017, 00:00
And of course Locher, home of Mr Locher's PC-12:
https://youtu.be/y63pyiAYMYc

VatsimSammy
July 30th, 2018, 08:15
I am having this same issue with another Carenado product. Do you know how to fix it in the latest version of windows because I can't figure it out.

Thanks, Sammy.

fsafranek
July 30th, 2018, 12:40
I am having this same issue with another Carenado product. Do you know how to fix it in the latest version of windows because I can't figure it out.

Thanks, Sammy.
Have you read this entire thread? It was a proxy setting issue on the OP's machine caused by the latest Win 10 update.

Check your settings under "Internet Options".
Hope this helps.
:ernaehrung004:

VatsimSammy
July 30th, 2018, 15:04
Have you read this entire thread? It was a proxy setting issue on the OP's machine caused by the latest Win 10 update.

Check your settings under "Internet Options".
Hope this helps.
:ernaehrung004:
Thank you for the quick response. I understand it has something to do with Proxy and Internet settings. I am just not sure what I exactly need to do.

Maybe a tutorial with pictures or explaining what you need to select would be nice.

Cheers,
Sammy

VatsimSammy
July 30th, 2018, 18:34
Thank you for the quick response. I understand it has something to do with Proxy and Internet settings. I am just not sure what I exactly need to do.

Maybe a tutorial with pictures or explaining what you need to select would be nice.

Cheers,
Sammy
I also don't know what tab the proxy and lan setting is under.

falcon409
July 30th, 2018, 19:35
I also don't know what tab the proxy and lan setting is under.
Depends on what version of Windows you're running and what browser you use. The proxy setting you're looking for will be in your browser settings:

I use "Opera" and under the settings there's a tab for "Browser" and about a third of the way down that page is a setting for "Network". It allows you to "Change proxy settings" (which I don't use of course). Anyway, when I click on that option I get another menu and one of the options is for LAN Settings. . .it's inside this menu that Win10 had changed to require a proxy for all internet communications. I unchecked that, got out of the settings closed the browser and restarted windows. . .I believe I had to do that one more time a few days later, but since that time. . .no more problems.

VatsimSammy
July 31st, 2018, 08:22
Thank you :mixed-smiley-010: