PDA

View Full Version : AlphaSim FSX A-3 Skywarrior.....how does it compare to the original?

Lateral-G
February 14th, 2009, 06:17
How does the new FSX version (v2.) of the A-3B compare to the older FS9 one (v1.1)?

I had ported over the FS9 A-3B v1.1 to FSX and it's OK. VC is fine but nothing is "click-able". I was wondering if it was worth it to buy the updated version. I know $20 doesn't seem like much but with the economy these days I'm a bit more picky with what I buy.

-G-

kilo delta
February 14th, 2009, 06:30
I may be wrong, but I thought that the latest A-3 produced by Alphasim was FS9 only?

VCN-1
February 14th, 2009, 06:47
The did a FSX port over also for version 2.

VCN-1

DennyA
March 14th, 2009, 14:51
Note that, unlike their previous FSX portovers, this one was NOT recompiled in the FSX SDK. :( So you have to run it in DX9 mode, and there's a big frame-rate hit.

Wish I'd known this. Money down the drain, as I'll never fly it due to this. After the Skyray, B-36, etc. I just assumed if they said "FSX" it would really be an FSX version. :(

Ferry_vO
March 14th, 2009, 14:55
Well, in their defense, it was announced on their front page:

"Now available for FSX - the A-3 Skywarrior ! The Skywarrior package has ported over to FSX well, so we decided to make it available. Note, as an FS9-to-FSX portover, there are no FSX special features such as bump mapping or self-shadowing. However it does look good and flies well. Existing owners of the new v.2 package just need to log in to their account area and they can download the FSX version."

And twice on the shop page:

"** For FS2004 and FSX (portover) **"

"- Note : FSX version is a straight portover of the FS9 version, so NO self-shadowing, bump etc "

:)

DennyA
March 14th, 2009, 15:16
Sure, but it says "portover." That still implies work was done. The main page still says "FSX Ready" like their FSX SDK planes. And all the other FSX ports they've done that I've encountered have had the model recompiled.

Lateral-G
March 14th, 2009, 19:05
Well, in their defense, it was announced on their front page:

"Now available for FSX - the A-3 Skywarrior ! The Skywarrior package has ported over to FSX well, so we decided to make it available. Note, as an FS9-to-FSX portover, there are no FSX special features such as bump mapping or self-shadowing. However it does look good and flies well. Existing owners of the new v.2 package just need to log in to their account area and they can download the FSX version."

And twice on the shop page:

"** For FS2004 and FSX (portover) **"

"- Note : FSX version is a straight portover of the FS9 version, so NO self-shadowing, bump etc "

:)

I only have v1.1 not V2.0 so I have no idea what the differences between those two versions are. I do know the cockpit of v1.1 in FSX is not clickable so I'd like to know what other changes may have been made.

deathfromafar
March 14th, 2009, 23:57
I have the latest version and for me the frame rates are no problem at all. Smooth as silk.