PDA

View Full Version : Rex...

harleyman
February 14th, 2009, 06:00
Who's using it and how do you like it?

Is it as good as they claim it is?

How easy is the user interface?

Is the Weather Engine good? easy to use?

How is it on frames?

Is it much better than FEX that has no weather engine?

Does it interact with UTX and GEX well?

Lots of questions I know...

But Thanks........:ernae:

JimC1702
February 14th, 2009, 06:13
I was using FEX and I bought REX as soon as it came out.

Overall, it's a very good program. However they hyped it so much that it might be impossible for it live up to the hype.

Many people don't find the interface to be very intuitive. It gets easier as you get used to it though.

There were issues with the weather engine when it was released. It worked fine for some people, not at all for others. Fortunately it works for me, however I rarely use it because it takes to long to reload textures. They are working on an update to the entire program which is supposed to fix the niggles. In the meantime, I chose a texture scheme I like and just use FSX's real world weather. Works nicely that way.

Most users have actually reported better frames using REX.

I would say the clouds are about equal. For me, water is where REX really shines. I've never seen such nice water in FSX before. REX also has choices of textures for airport runways, taxiways, water on the ground, runway lights, etc.
The weather engine will be a plus once it's been tweaked a bit.

Yep, it works just fine with UTX and GEX.

I'm happy with the purchase and am looking forward to the update.

Jim

stovall
February 14th, 2009, 06:23
hareyman, I will give you my perspective.

1. Is it as good as they claim? Yes it is really as good as they claim. The clouds and weather make FSX more realistic in my eyes.

2. How easy is the user interface? This is difficult for me, You have to read the instructions multiple times to understand just how to start everything the way you want. There are several options of using real weather or just the theme you wish. Once you understand the mode of operation it looks really good.

3. Is the Weather Engine good: easy to use? The weather engine is excellant but not easy to use.

4. How is it on frames per second? I find the hit minimal on FPS. My machine is state of the art up to date using Quad Extreme 775. Nvidia GTX 280.

5. Is it much better than FEX with no weather engine? I chose to buy REX not FEX so no help here.

6. Does it interact with UTX and GEX well? The interaction is perfect with no problems at all.

Hope this helps harleyman, they have an update pending Version 2.0 about to be released. Looking forward to that.

Regards, Tom

harleyman
February 14th, 2009, 06:29
WOW Thanks guys....Very imformative reviews...

Looks like I will drop FEX and go with REX as some have reported doing then...

I just hate learning new interfaces....:faint:

Yup..Their site said the update (SP1) was about ready and would fix some items .....

Good deal..........:applause::applause: :ernae:

JimC1702
February 14th, 2009, 06:34
Just a tip. If you already have FEX installed and have room on your hard drive, don't uninstall FEX, just run REX and when it backs up your default textures, it will actually back up your FEX textures. If for some reason you don't like it, you can uninstall and it will restore your FEX textures and you'll be right where you started.

JIm

Cazzie
February 14th, 2009, 06:39
I've had it since it came out Mason, took forever to download and 30 minutes to install, 10 minutes to load the first scheme. Is it worth it? You bet yer booty!

Any time you want real weather, it's gonna take 6 to 10 minutes to load, so I loaded a scheme with all things I like and leave it. I use Active Sky 6.5 to monitor the weather, as it loads way faster and with the FSUIP 4.0 module in FSX, FSX reads AS's weather and uses REX's graphics I have assigned.

Caz

harleyman
February 14th, 2009, 06:43
Ahh...I have AS6.5....

So Cazzie...You have loaded into REX the themes you like, then use AS to run the weather(as engine) ?

That way does it still display true world weather or just your chosen textures ?

I do not have FEX still installed..but it might be fun to play with one day...thanks for that too.....:applause:

VFR Reviews
February 14th, 2009, 07:34
I agree with Jim. Beautiful textures, but not possibly comparable with what I was lead to expect.

Still worth it, I'd say.

One day, when I have plenty of time, I'll review it :typing:

Cazzie
February 14th, 2009, 08:01
Ahh...I have AS6.5....

So Cazzie...You have loaded into REX the themes you like, then use AS to run the weather(as engine) ?

That way does it still display true world weather or just your chosen textures ?

I do not have FEX still installed..but it might be fun to play with one day...thanks for that too.....:applause:

You must have Paul Dowson's latest FSUIPC4 for FSX for Active Sky to work. Get it here if you do not already have it: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html.

It displays real-time weather WTX, but uses REX textures for clouds, rain, snows, etc.

Caz

MudMarine
February 14th, 2009, 08:17
I have both and removed REX in favor of FEX. I'm very happy with the Hi-Res cloud textures in FEX...purdy!

stiz
February 14th, 2009, 10:57
for me:

FEX for clouds and skies as i prefere them over what REX offers

REX for sea, which so far, is the best around for me

does it live up to the hype?? nope :kilroy:

chinookmark
February 14th, 2009, 11:19
How does XGraphics compare to FEX and REX?

SolarEagle
February 14th, 2009, 11:57
Don't even bother with Xgraphics, I've used it and its hardly better than default. FEX is surely better, but REX is better yet. It can be argued that the FEX clouds are as good as the REX clouds, but I can't see that my self, and when it comes to water, there is no question whatsoever that REX rules the roost in that department. The REX water, when using FSWC, is so stunning that I am in awe everytime I fly over it.

See for your self...... I'm using the REX Sparkling wave animation, and Gizmo's FSWC profile.

http://sio.midco.net/ftp6/rexfix.jpg