PDA

View Full Version : FSX Turbo plane engine Start

thunder100
February 14th, 2009, 03:58
Hi

I have FSX SP2 Acceleration

At all my planes upon loading on an airport the engine(s) stop.-->restart-->fine Almost all my turboprops dont start at all ,I have first to load a piston engine or jet and then they would remain running.On Piston engines I can increase the starter torque in the aircraft cfg.Then it starts insatntly although the nice prop animation usually dissapears

-->what can I do on Turboprops?

And what to do that engines dont stop?

Thanks

Thunder100

glennc
February 14th, 2009, 06:19
Thunder,

It depends on the airplane. For real, the general idea is, of course, use the checklist, but the engine turbines have to be spinning at a specified speed (usually about 12% of N1). Then, the fire is started. There is usually a "start" switch that gets the engine spinning, then the condition lever (roughly the same thing as mixture on a piston engine and uses the same keyboard and controller mappings in FS). There are some airplanes that have just an on/off lever in place of the condition lever. If the condition lever is brought up before the turbines are up to speed, you can get what's called a "hot start". Then get your check book out - you will likely need a new engine. There are a couple FS aircraft that model that pretty well.

The checklist is your friend.

Glenn

Lionheart
February 14th, 2009, 12:33
FSX has built in 'issues' concerning starting Turboprops.

There are several switches that can be assigned to start a Turbo (I think 3 total, one being the ground APU Generator, where if you start that, it will start the Turboprop as well).

The base Starter used with the Turboprop may take several clicks. Standard animations for some switches have the Mouse click zone assigned to be dragged off to the right while the switch points north to south. So, try restarting it several times in a row in fast order to get it to ignite. If that doesnt work, try assigning a Generator starter switch to it. Or........ Just use Control - E to 'autostart'..

Its a pain, but it works..

Bill

thunder100
February 15th, 2009, 00:12
Dear Bill

I have to explain more

on mosdt native FSX planes this wotks of course ,but I am porting over FS2004 to FSX.Recent one is NAMC YS11 with nice VC(AFG) which flys perfect and looks good apart the starting issue.

I will now have a look to some of my payware true FSX planes and look to their starter gauge to try to offset this issue

Yours from the EPIC work but its just one engine and thereforte it doesnt start secong one though-->but where there is a problem there is a solution.As responsible for this part on the LOCKHEED STARLINER i finally ould make it work so I hope I do on the YS11 as well

Roland aka thunder100

Lionheart
February 15th, 2009, 11:01
Roger that Roland,

You might get with Dan at AS. Hes brilliant at gauge coding in FSX and is doing that turboprop twin. I am sure he can help you out with that.

Bill

expat
February 15th, 2009, 12:55
I recently posted a moan about difficulty starting all kinds of engines manually in FSX - mainly portovers but not exclusively. Turboprops are the worst and it is really disappointing that MS managed to get e.g. a brilliant moving jetway animation to work in FSX but couldn't get something as elementary as engine starting to be headache free!

In addition to the torque on start > 1.00 fix and also the starter switch "flick" methods, I recently worked around not being able to manually start Piglet's great OV-10 Bronco - and in this case a native FSX model - by replacing the starter switches with the ones from the default King Air.

Appreciate your sharing your issues in this regard.

Expat