PDA

View Full Version : AI parking question.

jmfabio
December 9th, 2017, 08:00
Hi all,

As work progress on my Morotai project, I fly around to see how it looks, if there are problems, etc.

I noticed my "Snooper" B-24s do not always park in their designated spots. This is despite the fact that there are 8 "Snoopers" and 8 "Snooper" parking spots and despite the fact that the parking codes in the cfg file match the code in the parking spots. Both are 868.

Note that only some of the "Snoopers" park in weird spots. Two parked in spots designated military cargo. I have only noticed the strange parking behavior when they are not out on missions. I have never seen where they park after taxiing when returning from a mission.

I hope I have explained this problem clearly, as it puzzles me and I would like to rectify it. I suppose it is of no real consequence, as all 8 show up parked when not out flying. But it bothers me that despite the codes being set up correctly, it doesn't function correctly. Color me OCD.:adoration:

Any help is gratefully and greatly appreciated,

Joe

fsafranek
December 9th, 2017, 16:05
AI seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.
:ernaehrung004:

Willy
December 9th, 2017, 17:46
As it seems no one else wanted to take a crack at it, I had to do a little digging to figure out if the ATC parking function has changed any since I haven't mucked about with it since I was still flying FS9. From what I can see, any changes in assigning parking spots is minor. I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but maybe someone will find it of some use.

In the aircraft.cfg, you'll need the following lines for each aircraft. The example was copied from an AI United DC-6.

atc_parking_types=GATE //assigns to type of parking desired: GATE: CARGO, RAMP, etc.

atc_parking_codes=UAL //assigns specific "airline" parking codes for the aircraft so it will look for these first. In default FS, most parking spots are not airline coded and are open to all. Airport design editor is a great tool for assigning parking spots.

jmfabio
December 10th, 2017, 05:52
As it seems no one else wanted to take a crack at it, I had to do a little digging to figure out if the ATC parking function has changed any since I haven't mucked about with it since I was still flying FS9. From what I can see, any changes in assigning parking spots is minor. I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but maybe someone will find it of some use.

In the aircraft.cfg, you'll need the following lines for each aircraft. The example was copied from an AI United DC-6.

atc_parking_types=GATE //assigns to type of parking desired: GATE: CARGO, RAMP, etc.

atc_parking_codes=UAL //assigns specific "airline" parking codes for the aircraft so it will look for these first. In default FS, most parking spots are not airline coded and are open to all. Airport design editor is a great tool for assigning parking spots.

Hi Willy,

The parking codes are all set to their specific squadrons: 868, 370 etc. BUT I will take a look later at the parking types. I didn't even consider that.

Thanks,

Joe

fsafranek
December 10th, 2017, 09:38
Also check the size of the parking spot. If it isn't larger than the "wing_span" of the aircraft you want to park there they might just taxi on past it.
For the aircraft look in the [airplane_geometry] section of the aircraft.cfg file.
:ernaehrung004:

jmfabio
December 10th, 2017, 10:18
Thanks to all that responded,

I have checked the parking spots in ADE they are MIL Combat and 110 ft and set for a particular "airline" (squadron).

I have checked Aircraft CFG and parking type and parking codes match the parking spaces in ADE.

I guess that I will just have to live with the weird parking.

Thanks,

Joe

fnkybnch
December 10th, 2017, 15:45
Don't give up just yet!

I had the same problem in FS9 about 8 or 9 years ago. Looks like FSX does the same thing.

I spent the better part of a week experimenting :banghead: and came to the following conclusion:

FS uses parking spaces IN THE ORDER THAT THEY WERE CREATED!

Now look at your list of flight plans. The AC in the first FP will park in the first parking space you created. The AC in the second FP listed will park in the second parking space you created, and so on...

Please give this approach a try!:encouragement:

Mark

jmfabio
December 11th, 2017, 05:50
Don't give up just yet!

I had the same problem in FS9 about 8 or 9 years ago. Looks like FSX does the same thing.

I spent the better part of a week experimenting :banghead: and came to the following conclusion:

FS uses parking spaces IN THE ORDER THAT THEY WERE CREATED!

Now look at your list of flight plans. The AC in the first FP will park in the first parking space you created. The AC in the second FP listed will park in the second parking space you created, and so on...

Please give this approach a try!:encouragement:

Mark

Hi Mark,

WOW!:pop4:

I don't think that I would have thought of that in a million years.
It just proves two heads are better than one.

I will definitely take a look at that. As the flight plans were just temp to see how my computer performed with 30+ planes parked,
I just need to redo the parking spaces and then redo a small quick FP to check.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction.
It is much appreciated.

Joe