PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise in the cockpit won't go away.

lazarus
December 6th, 2017, 06:48
It's not a 'gear up on ground' issue, or the ballast in the right seat clawing at the arm rests:biggrin-new:
I'd been mucking about with Rick Pipers Andover, jammed the YS-11 VC in to trial it-forgot about this annoying bug that keeps me away from the YS-11, and a couple of other models. It's a gauge sound for a gyro, sounds like an old inverter, or a wringer washer full of coffee grinders and small bank vaults filled with stones. It drowns out every internal and external sound, and won't shut off until you exit sim, or end the flight. Keeps going if you select another model with out exiting flight. BUWEEEEEEEEEgraunchgraunchgraunchBWEEEEEEEEE. That sort of thing.
Any idea's what on earth that is? So I can kill it?

airtj
December 6th, 2017, 07:55
I would copy the sound folder from the YS11 into the Andover. Then listen to each sound in the folder and see if you can find the sound that is drowning out the other sounds, you can rename it and see if that works.

lazarus
December 6th, 2017, 08:28
Good thought, but the sound file is aliased to the JBK Viscount- no problems there. It's a gauge sound file, that I'm sure of. Some one will have run over this, though.

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 08:41
Good thought, but the sound file is aliased to the JBK Viscount- no problems there. It's a gauge sound file, that I'm sure of. Some one will have run over this, though.

Is this YS11 a freeware download? I'm willing to hunt it down!

lazarus
December 6th, 2017, 08:57
No, it's the payware one- can't think of the name- nice try, though. Love the YS-11, I bought it for the T-64 conversion; turned out, that was only in the FS9 version. Had to buy that, then convert the T-64 powered sparky...
Terrific machine, did a year with Cruzerio do Sol way back when. Monstrously over-built, rather heavy. The seat pitch in the back was hilarious, though. If you were any more than 5'1, it was better to ride in the overhead bin.

marijn
December 6th, 2017, 09:20
If this is the Aerosim YS-11 the sound you are looking for is Yinv.wav and it is found in the FSX folder gauges\AS_YS11_FSX. Very irritating indeed.
You can tone in down a bit though by using an editor like Audicity.

lazarus
December 6th, 2017, 09:30
Yes! Aerosim! Excellent, thank you! Probably just find a less offensive one and re-name it. It's a nice set of models. Honestly, but for one or two variants, it's no better than the AFG(?) freeware. Wondered if they're related(don't think they are)- like the Kz Privateer-WoP Privateer- basically identical

Bjoern
December 6th, 2017, 10:09
If prop disks, custom animations and cockpit clickspots weren't so tedious to handle in MCX, I'd give the classic freeware turboprops a FSX native makeover. But alas...

lazarus
December 6th, 2017, 13:24
Yeah, true. Props are a whiz, keep a file of bits and bobs on hand. The clickspots, though. Pure joy going through the 'unknown' animations, assigning mouse rectangles- and none of it works!:banghead: But, it's a labour of love. Or masochism...
Tried a couple of different sound files- better, but the racket still carries over. I found a handy little wav file in the folder called 'silence'. Renamed that, changed it out. And changed out the VWS. Pure joy! Just whining, shrieking Darts, and no 'PULLUPTERRAINALTITUDEALTITUDETERRAINPUTTHE GEARDOWNAHOLE'...which puts me in mind of the voice warning system Ca 1973- the right seat screaming OHGODOHGODOHGOD!:biggrin-new:
That guy was a great autoland, though. Point it at the numbers, wait for him to turn white, claw the armrests and start up the aural indication, then pull it on back and gate the levers. Perfect landing every time!

nigel richards
December 7th, 2017, 23:38
"BUWEEEEEEEEEgraunchgraunchgraunchBWEEEEEEEEE."

Happy stewardess by the sound of things...(probably of Scottish origin) :-/

roger-wilco-66
December 7th, 2017, 23:59
[...]

Pure joy! Just whining, shrieking Darts, and no 'PULLUPTERRAINALTITUDEALTITUDETERRAINPUTTHE GEARDOWNAHOLE'...which puts me in mind of the voice warning system Ca 1973- the right seat screaming OHGODOHGODOHGOD!:biggrin-new:
That guy was a great autoland, though. Point it at the numbers, wait for him to turn white, claw the armrests and start up the aural indication, then pull it on back and gate the levers. Perfect landing every time!

Haha, that just made my morning :-) Great post ! :ernaehrung004:

Cheers,
Mark