PDA

View Full Version : B-50 FSX graphics issues - test version

mjahn
December 6th, 2017, 01:09
This is addressed only to those of you who have experienced muddled-up graphics or missing parts. I have looked at all the pics and what a killjoy they are. Unfortunately, so far I haven't the slightest clue as to whether it's due to: fsx version, scenery complexity (orbx), dx9 or 10, unupdated shaders, duration of flight, the combined p3d/fsx functionality, the gauge sim_b50, or any combination of these. What's worse, I have been unable to replicate any of the artefacts reported.

So I'll give you a whittled-down version for test purposes only, without any of the p3d functionality, and omitting also the combined nose and long-range setups. It's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twwjlcsbnou5vq7/B50_FSX_TEST.zip?dl=0

I have included a TEST texture set (red tail), a TEST model folder, and a TEST panel folder, all adressed in the aircraft.cfg. Please install all, making a backup copy of your current aircraft.cfg

Please try the model without using any of the tweaks, merges etc that have been posted here and elsewhere. Because the model references the separate TEST panel and model folders you can basically leave your setup as is. Only don't import any of your tweaks into those TEST folders.

If this model works without artefacts we can begin to re-refine it step by step. If it fails ...

Anyway, give it a try. I am very interested in what you'll get.

-- Manfred

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 05:11
Hi Manfred! I have the test B-50 installed and I noticed I have the same lack of glass showing that I had with Milton Shupe's A-20G. I'm running FSX Standard Edition with SP1 and SP2 installed. I'm fairly sure this is my Sim's problem and not your aircraft. I solved the A-20G problem by using the FS9 version. The lack of glass was the same on your original model and textures.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/12/06/TestB-50.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GqNL)

ZsoltB
December 6th, 2017, 05:14
Yes, Unfortunately for me, this Sim_B50 file into anomaly!
When deleted then all ok!

mjahn
December 6th, 2017, 05:41
@Zippy: okay I see the glass issue. Anyone else have this issue? How about the VC wing views that you reported as missing earlier?

Yes, Unfortunately for me, this Sim_B50 file into anomaly!
When deleted then all ok!

Sorry, did you actually try this TEST model, and did it show up as scrambled as it did before?

ZsoltB
December 6th, 2017, 05:43
@Zippy: okay I see the glass issue. Anyone else have this issue? How about the VC wing views that you reported as missing earlier?

Sorry, did you actually try this TEST model, and did it show up as scrambled as it did before?

Yes, I try the tes model
the model fell apart...

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 05:49
Yes, I also saw no wing when looking out the VC window to the left from the pilot's seat.

I found it much easier to just create a new B-50 test folder to put all of the other test folders into plus the .air file and then modify the aircraft.cfg to show only the test model.

ZsoltB
December 6th, 2017, 05:58

http://www.kephost.com/images/2017/12/06/2017-12-6_15-56-18-502.jpg

mjahn
December 6th, 2017, 06:03
Ouch that hurts.

Edit, Zippy can you post a screenshot of the Monitor > Test window?

Also, does anything improve when you disable gauge51 (sim_B50) in panel.cfg?

Thanks.

TerryW
December 6th, 2017, 06:45
Manfred...I had the same anomalies as Zolt.....tried the Test files.....still the same graphical problems. I have, however, been using the aircraft for a couple of flights including a 2+ hour jaunt up the Australian West coast. I used the C-97 panel, the C-97 vc files in the B-50 "texture" folder, and the C-97 eyepoint. I have no graphical anomalies with that setup, at least none have forced themselves to my attention. To me, the graphical problems some of us have with the B-50 relate solely to something which is still in the B-50 panel.
Terry

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 06:53
Edit, Zippy can you post a screenshot of the Monitor > Test window?

Also, does anything improve when you disable gauge51 (sim_B50) in panel.cfg?

Thanks.

I disabled gauge51 in the panel.cfg Here is the screenshot. Nothing happens when clicking on anything in the "test" portion of the Monitor.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/12/06/B50test.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GqNI)

simtech
December 6th, 2017, 07:29
Manfred, not meaning to muddy up the waters, but hopefully provide more info: I tried the test files in FSX-A the left wing is visible in vc, looks fine, exterior is ok EXCEPT, all glass is black and the tires&wheels are black. Inside, the guages work fine, however, the panel texture is missing. These conditions ONLY exist in your test files. The normal download files work excellent except the left wing view is missing. Otherwise works grand. Terry

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 07:50
And with my lack of glass/plexiglass domes, etc isn't with the glass.dds or any of those other .dds files in the texture folder but rather with the model itself. I have your other great aircraft like the C-47, both v.2 and v.3.14 and also the C-97 tanker version, which all show fine. Very confusing!:dizzy:

mjahn
December 6th, 2017, 08:01
Most confusing indeed. Doesn't even look as if there is a common denominator anywhere to be seen.

You guys all on dx9? No one on dx10 preview mode or using Steve's scenery fixer?

simtech
December 6th, 2017, 08:07
No dx10 for me. Your C-97, C-47 series and the B-50 work as advertised, except the missing left wing texture out the vc in the B-50. All others, flawless.

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 08:36
DX9 for me only! No DX10 for my rubber-band-powered computer!

TerryW
December 6th, 2017, 08:38
Using DX9.
Terry

mjahn
December 6th, 2017, 09:12
Hmmm, the plot thickens .... have you turned "Aircraft casts shadow on ground" ON or OFF? And if you turn it ON, does it make any difference?

Anyone willing to turn dx10 preview on and see if that helps any? (apart from killing the rest of your fleet ... :(

Roger
December 6th, 2017, 09:16
Most confusing indeed. Doesn't even look as if there is a common denominator anywhere to be seen.

You guys all on dx9? No one on dx10 preview mode or using Steve's scenery fixer?

Hi Manfred, I'm using Dx10 with Steve's fixer and with your original mdl file there were no texture or model anomalies. Thanks for your hard work trying to sort out issues:applause:

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 09:40
Hmmm, the plot thickens .... have you turned "Aircraft casts shadow on ground" ON or OFF? And if you turn it ON, does it make any difference?

Anyone willing to turn dx10 preview on and see if that helps any? (apart from killing the rest of your fleet ... :(

I have aircraft ground shadows and shadows cast on itself off. I'll try them both on when I return from my Doctors appointment.

Desert Rat
December 6th, 2017, 11:06
No obvious issues here, just a quick test in FSX:SE. Don't laugh at the screenies it's a vanilla install, been using FSW mostly. (having some difficulties getting it to work in FSW but that's my own problem, lol.)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56194&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56193&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56192&stc=1

Have to say, she is a beauty, thank you.

Windows 10 Pro
I7-6700K @ 4.4GHz
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 MB
Gigabyte GTX1060 3GB DDR5

gray eagle
December 6th, 2017, 12:42
This is addressed only to those of you who have experienced muddled-up graphics or missing parts. I have looked at all the pics and what a killjoy they are. Unfortunately, so far I haven't the slightest clue as to whether it's due to: fsx version, scenery complexity (orbx), dx9 or 10, unupdated shaders, duration of flight, the combined p3d/fsx functionality, the gauge sim_b50, or any combination of these. What's worse, I have been unable to replicate any of the artefacts reported.

So I'll give you a whittled-down version for test purposes only, without any of the p3d functionality, and omitting also the combined nose and long-range setups. It's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twwjlcsbnou5vq7/B50_FSX_TEST.zip?dl=0

I have included a TEST texture set (red tail), a TEST model folder, and a TEST panel folder, all adressed in the aircraft.cfg. Please install all, making a backup copy of your current aircraft.cfg

Please try the model without using any of the tweaks, merges etc that have been posted here and elsewhere. Because the model references the separate TEST panel and model folders you can basically leave your setup as is. Only don't import any of your tweaks into those TEST folders.

If this model works without artefacts we can begin to re-refine it step by step. If it fails ...

Anyway, give it a try. I am very interested in what you'll get.

-- Manfred

Manfred:
I sure would like a full blown (Completed) version of this Weather bird once it has been completed - for P3D V3.4
Thank you sir. :encouragement:

WarHorse47
December 6th, 2017, 12:56
Believe it or not, I may have solved the graphics issue for my setup. And it's really a simple fix.

If you are having the graphics problems reported by Zolt, myself and others, I'd like you to test this out and see if it works for you.

All you need to do is a small edit to the panel.cfg file.

With the default Boeing B-50 look for [fltsim.12] for the Monitor Help popup panel. Now remove or rem (//) out the line for the ident=1000 like so

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window12]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=800,600
pixel_size=800,600
position=4
visible=0
//ident=10000

gauge00=Monitor!help, 0,0,800,600

That's all. Report back if it fixes the issue.

I did this also for the merged Virtavia B-29 VC and there are no problems and the monitor panel is fully functional. Don't ask me how it works, I'm just hoping it works for you like it does for me.

MrZippy
December 6th, 2017, 13:22
Here's a spiffy external view of the test B-50 with aricraft shadows on itself and ground turned on. // out the ident=1000 in the panel.cfg also! Still no wing view from the VC!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/12/06/B50shadow.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GqNz)

ZsoltB
December 6th, 2017, 13:23
Believe it or not, I may have solved the graphics issue for my setup. And it's really a simple fix.

If you are having the graphics problems reported by Zolt, myself and others, I'd like you to test this out and see if it works for you.

All you need to do is a small edit to the panel.cfg file.

With the default Boeing B-50 look for [fltsim.12] for the Monitor Help popup panel. Now remove or rem (//) out the line for the ident=1000 like so

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window12]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=800,600
pixel_size=800,600
position=4
visible=0
//ident=10000

gauge00=Monitor!help, 0,0,800,600

That's all. Report back if it fixes the issue.

I did this also for the merged Virtavia B-29 VC and there are no problems and the monitor panel is fully functional. Don't ask me how it works, I'm just hoping it works for you like it does for me.

Hello,

To be sure, for me, this file (Sim_B50.xml) is causing the problem!

But Thank you!

Zsolt

WarHorse47
December 6th, 2017, 14:07
I forgot to mention that I made a small edit to the sim_B50.xml file.

I've sent the info on to Manfred to see what he thinks before sharing it.

Josh Patterson
December 6th, 2017, 14:12
Here's how my B-50 is working, and what I'm running. Maybe it will help you guys find out what's going on. My glass textures are present in the exterior view and I can see my wing out the window. (But not the external tank only its shadow on the ground. I do believe I read about a visibility condition to turn it on in the VC though.) I'm running FSX-gold and the only scenery I have is MSE Wisconsin. I have not done a panel merge. The scrambled plane is pretty interesting. My Flying Stations Buccaneer does that once in a blue moon. How does that happen?

simtech
December 6th, 2017, 15:04
In reference to "red tail test aircraft, Turning "aircraft cast shadows on ground", "on itself" and "lights illuminate ground" makes no difference regardless of selection in the presentation in my simple setup. The glass and tires are black, panel texture missing, gauges work fine. Left wing visible from vc. Original download files look fine with the exception of missing the left wing in vc. Program is boxed FSX-A, DX9 on a lowly ten year laptop.

mjahn
December 6th, 2017, 23:19
Following up on Tom (Warhorse) and Zsolt's hunch that it's something to do with the Sim_B50.xml gauge, here is a replacement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivyoeox0z2vjgao/panelTESTsim_b50.zip?dl=0

It disables the a/c initialization, you can recognize that when the tail guns are pointing up, and the first call for the Monitor shows just a small strip. As y'all know you can expand it to full size if you r-click the asterisk. Some other functionality is missing (reversing), but the main thing at this point is whether the external and internal parts and textures are okay.

Feel free to disable the ident no of panel12 as well, as in Tom's post, but that will disable all calls to Monitor help screens. (Yes, Monitor has help screens, not many users know this.)

Zippy, thanks for the shadow test, even if inconsequential. Understand that even after disabling sim_b50 the display is a shambles on your setup?

Josh, we only have the one VC at the moment, and there the wings are without long-range tanks. So that's okay, sort of.

ZsoltB
December 7th, 2017, 00:10
Following up on Tom (Warhorse) and Zsolt's hunch that it's something to do with the Sim_B50.xml gauge, here is a replacement.

It disables the a/c initialization, you can recognize that when the tail guns are pointing up, and the first call for the Monitor shows just a small strip. As y'all know you can expand it to full size if you r-click the asterisk. Some other functionality is missing (reversing), but the main thing at this point is whether the external and internal parts and textures are okay.

Feel free to disable the ident no of panel12 as well, as in Tom's post, but that will disable all calls to Monitor help screens. (Yes, Monitor has help screens, not many users know this.)

Zippy, thanks for the shadow test, even if inconsequential. Understand that even after disabling sim_b50 the display is a shambles on your setup?

Josh, we only have the one VC at the moment, and there the wings are without long-range tanks.

Hi Manfred,

It will be good, but unfortunately it does not work the chocks, GPU...I like things!

So I do not use this file

But Thank you!

Zsolt

mjahn
December 7th, 2017, 00:23
I don't understand. You Shift-4 and get the minimized Monitor strip. You expand it and get the subwindows. You click Chocks and you get chocks. You click GPU and it's there. No?

The main question at this point is whether the sim_b50 replacement file gets you all the parts and textures on all setups that had display problems before.

ZsoltB
December 7th, 2017, 00:44
I don't understand. You Shift-4 and get the minimized Monitor strip. You expand it and get the subwindows. You click Chocks and you get chocks. You click GPU and it's there. No?

The main question at this point is whether the sim_b50 replacement file gets you all the parts and textures on all setups that had display problems before.

No chocks and GPU!
But now turrets working....:dizzy: :mixed-smiley-010:

mjahn
December 7th, 2017, 03:16
GPU and chocks rule OK here. Another mystery ...

http://imghst.co/69/10uGi50m.jpg

MrZippy
December 7th, 2017, 04:45
No chocks and GPU!
But now turrets working....:dizzy: :mixed-smiley-010:

New XMLs put into the test.panel/B50 folder and gauge 51 (removed the double slashes in front) Still no wing view. I also can't get the chocks (don't understand the instruction to mid click it) and no GPU showing when clicked. My turrets always worked!

gray eagle
December 7th, 2017, 05:11
New XMLs put into the test.panel/B50 folder and gauge 51 (removed the double slashes in front) Still no wing view. I also can't get the chocks (don't understand the instruction to mid click it) and no GPU showing when clicked. My turrets always worked!

MidClick = Click with middle mouse button/wheel ? (I think).

MrZippy
December 7th, 2017, 05:21
MidClick = Click with middle mouse button/wheel ? (I think).

Yeah, sorta what I thought, too! It didn't do anything.

mjahn
December 7th, 2017, 06:02
http://imghst.co/70/mq2NOn2j.jpg</a> (http://imghst.co/70/mq2NOn2j.jpg)It may depend on where you click, check the pink boxes in the pic below. Do you get these help screens from the panel\Monitor folder?

http://imghst.co/70/mq2NOn2j.jpg

Monitor isn't the issue, anyway.

I'd like to have some more feedback from the others, and then I'd like to sum up. Seems the TEST setup doesn't do much to improve the situation, and the one weak clue that we have isolated is dx9 mode on certain older PC's, is that it?

MrZippy
December 7th, 2017, 06:31
Bad Zippy.....Bad Boy! While chewing on my oatmeal I had a brain-flatulence:encouragement: Gotta turn off the AVIONICS switch to make the GPU and chocks work! Now to work on the wing-view and figure out why the model won't call up the glass/plexiglass textures! Yes, the HELP window shows like yours!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/12/07/ChocksandGPU.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/Gq0B)

WarHorse47
December 7th, 2017, 06:44
So I gather that the modified xml file has resolved the graphical issues for everyone, and now you have a working monitor panel?? :untroubled:

mjahn
December 7th, 2017, 06:44
Avionics ON or OFF, shouldn't matter one bit, Zippy. If it does on your setup I have no clue why. No matter.

What does matter is, the pic you showed earlier (ppst #23) with most exterior parts missing, as opposed to your new one (post #37), with every exterior part showing fine except for the glass, what change in the setup did that, and is it stable over extended periods of time and over elaborate scenery?

MrZippy
December 7th, 2017, 06:52
Avionics ON or OFF, shouldn't matter one bit, Zippy. If it does on your setup I have no clue why. No matter.

What does matter is, the pic you showed earlier with most exterior parts missing, as opposed to your new one, with every exterior part showing fine except for the glass, what change in the setup did that and is it stable?

I changed the aircraft casts shadows on the ground and on itself back to off (no checkmarks). Yes this is stable. With the avionics switch on, if I clicked on the chocks, it would briefly flash "Set" and go back to "Off". Clicking on GPU lit up but did not show the GPU.

mjahn
December 7th, 2017, 07:14
To clarify this for me, the TEST version with shadows turned OFF is fine, except for the glass, the VC wingview, and now a Monitor artefact?

Now if you set up one of the original models, and let fly it with the TEST panel and the TEST texture, is everything exactly like in the TEST red tail?

TerryW
December 7th, 2017, 08:02
Manfred, the Test files took care of my graphical problems (I use FSX-SE with dx9). I did comment out the ID 10000 in gauge 12, so couldn't bring up the "help" items....all else was fine. I'll return gauge 12 to it's original state, and try the panel with another livery.
Terry

MrZippy
December 7th, 2017, 08:11
To clarify this for me, the TEST version with shadows turned OFF is fine, except for the glass, the VC wingview, and now a Monitor artefact?

Now if you set up one of the original models, and let fly it with the TEST panel and the TEST texture, is everything exactly like in the TEST red tail?

I did a fresh download and install. Keeping in mind that you have to be in a parking spot and not on the runway to make the GPU and chocks work, and you were right that the Avionics switch does not matter, the only thing I now lack is glass for cockpit, domes, and rear gunner station, and the wing view. This is using the fresh download with no tweaks. Everything in the new download works like the Test red tail.

We're getting there, slowly but surly. Don't call me Shirley!:untroubled:

TerryW
December 7th, 2017, 08:15
All works fine now....keeping this panel! All the best,
Terry

TerryW
December 7th, 2017, 08:57
Manfred...sorry for being so disjointed....but decided to try the "TEST" panel with the original model (rather than the TEST model)...everything still fine. After returning gauge 12 to it's original state, I have my "help" items in the Monitor working. All animations seem to work....turrets turn, chocks and the like show. No framerate hit on this crappy five year old machine......thanks for another marvelous aircraft, all the best,
Terry

MrZippy
December 7th, 2017, 12:05
As a very temporary measure I will cheat a bit and use camera positions to view the engines at startup and in flight. Bazinga!:very_drunk:
Got 'em for both sides.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/12/07/Injuns.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GqFk)

mjahn
December 8th, 2017, 00:06
Okay now I'd like to ask you to test three versions of the Sim_B50 gauge.

Please re-download this zip:

In it you will find the following files --

Sim_B50.xml-a // no initialization (backup of current TEST version)
Sim_B50.xml-b // re-introduces minimal initialization (Monitor, turrets, Keys)
Sim_B50.xml-c // nose and tanks selection added
Sim_B50.xml-d // full init as in original release

What I am interested in is whether the TEST plane remains in working order when you replace the current gauge by the b version, the c version, and (to come full circle) the d-version (which should return to the problems stage).

So what you do is you copy the four files to folder panel.TEST\B50\

Then step by step, rename Sim_B50.xml-b to Sim_B50.xml (overwrite: yes), and test in sim (reload aircraft if sim is runnng).

If all still okay, try same procedure with Sim_B50.xml-c

And for good measure, you could even try -d.

So, what results do you get?

ZsoltB
December 8th, 2017, 01:14
Hi Manfred,

Yes!
Version "C" is stable!
No graphics disintegration! You see the fuel tank!
Menu window fits perfectly! What does not work:

- I can not control the amount of fuel
-BCN light

The turrets that can be remove?

I am grateful for your efforts!

http://www.kephost.com/images/2017/12/08/2017-12-8_10-59-34-67.jpg

http://www.kephost.com/images/2017/12/08/2017-12-8_11-2-44-760.jpg

http://www.kephost.com/images/2017/12/08/2017-12-8_11-5-54-859.jpg

Zsolt

ZsoltB
December 8th, 2017, 01:32
But unfortunately the other models of the same mistake! :pop4:

TerryW
December 8th, 2017, 01:41
Manfred, didn't try "a" or "d" (if "a" is the original TEST file, I know it works fine....if "d" is the original file, I know it doesn't work in my set-up), but both "b" and "c" resulted in the same graphical anomalies as the original b50 xml. Forgot to look at the Monitor for the "b" file....but it worked fine in the "c" file. Whatever is causing my graphics problems (no nose, props circling the fuselage, no wheels) is present in your samples "b", "c" and "d", but not in the original TEST file. I should confirm that my tests this morning were done with your TEST model, the TEST texture as well as the TEST panel.
Terry

mjahn
December 8th, 2017, 02:15
Thanks Terry & ZSolt ... nice set of conflicting reports ...

Here, have another download:

This one has an additional Sim_B50.xml-b2 ('b-two') in it.

Terry (and anyone else) can you try this one as well and report back? Thanks.

@ZSolt, in your latest flight Monitor cannot read the FSX version - which is it?
The turretless version will have to wait until this issue is cleared up, so that I can add either an alternate panel or at least a health warning in the readme.

TerryW
December 8th, 2017, 05:02
That one works just fine....aircraft exterior graphics are great, cannons turn, chocks set....monitor works in all aspects, including tips. Forgot to mention earlier that I have always had aircraft shadows enabled, including for the tests. I see no difference in exterior graphics and panel functionality between this b50xml and the original "TEST" one that your provided. I also know that, for my set-up, the original "TEST" b50xml was fully functional in both the "TEST" model and the original model....all the best,
Terry

falcon409
December 8th, 2017, 05:16
Running both P3D_V4.1 and FSX/Accel. . .in both Sims, straight installation, no tweaks, no merging of anything, just the airplane as it was released. I run full Orbx scenery only and both Sims utilize full shadowing. Everything shows (Chocks, Start Unit, etc), Monitor functions in all areas and aircraft responds to all inputs.

mjahn
December 8th, 2017, 07:06
Running both P3D_V4.1 and FSX/Accel. . .in both Sims, straight installation, no tweaks, no merging of anything, just the airplane as it was released. I run full Orbx scenery only and both Sims utilize full shadowing. Everything shows (Chocks, Start Unit, etc), Monitor functions in all areas and aircraft responds to all inputs.

Good to hear that it works out of the box for you, Falcon, but here we are trying to find out why it doesn't work on some setups. That's users like Warhorse, ZSolt, Terry, MZee, Zippy. The TEST plane and the various sim_b50 gauges are aimed at trying to find a cause and a solution if possible.

According to Terry, the most promising sim_b50 version at this point seems to be -b2. ZSolt has now reported by PM that version -c actually does not work. ZSolt, how does -b2 work on your setup, and which FSX are you on?

Terry, -b2 actually misses out on the nose cone configurations and the reversing button capability, but there may be a workaround. I'll tell you more once we have established that -b2 is largely okay, and can still be added to. In the long run, I expect sim_b50 to grow in size and functionality.

Zippy, is your FSX > aircraft setting on "ultra high"? If not, try it.

ZsoltB
December 8th, 2017, 07:49
I use FSX Gold Edition + Acceleraton

MrZippy
December 8th, 2017, 08:33

I placed the slide on "Ultra High" and checking the B-50....still no wing view, glass, and the external view shows invisible aircraft with shadow on the ground. Turning off "Aircraft casts shadow on itself" brings back the external view.

My thoughts on the missing glass/domes...definitely a model problem for me. I solved the Milton Shupe A-20G glass missing situation by using the FS9 model. I'm not a modeler so I don't understand how the model calls out for the individual textures to be used. I'm sure your glass.dds, glass_spec.dds, etc are all ones you have created before and are used in the C-47 v3.12 and 3.14 that show perfectly in my Sim.

Still not sure why the wing view is missing:dizzy: The camera views will be fine temporarily.

falcon409
December 9th, 2017, 02:12
Good to hear that it works out of the box for you, Falcon, but here we are trying to find out why it doesn't work on some setups. That's users like Warhorse, ZSolt, Terry, MZee, Zippy. The TEST plane and the various sim_b50 gauges are aimed at trying to find a cause and a solution if possible.

According to Terry, the most promising sim_b50 version at this point seems to be -b2. ZSolt has now reported by PM that version -c actually does not work. ZSolt, how does -b2 work on your setup, and which FSX are you on?

Terry, -b2 actually misses out on the nose cone configurations and the reversing button capability, but there may be a workaround. I'll tell you more once we have established that -b2 is largely okay, and can still be added to. In the long run, I expect sim_b50 to grow in size and functionality.

Sorry, didn't mean to butt in.

dvj
December 9th, 2017, 08:00
I downloaded this test version. Running windows 7, FSX + accel, Steve's DX10 fixer. No graphics issues. Wing views just fine.

-d

gray eagle
December 9th, 2017, 08:52
As a very temporary measure I will cheat a bit and use camera positions to view the engines at startup and in flight. Bazinga!:very_drunk:
Got 'em for both sides.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/12/07/Injuns.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GqFk)

I like that wing view, wish I could get that camera view for the V1 B50 in P3D V3.4

MrZippy
December 9th, 2017, 09:05
I like that wing view, wish I could get that camera view for the V1 B50 in P3D V3.4

Camera views "borrowed" from the C-97 Version 3. In the aircraft.cfg, I think it was [camera.001] and [camera.002]

@Manfred. I just downloaded and tried the C-97 Version 3. No wing view until I added in the Pan Am update from the C-97 thread. It looks great! No Glass problems and the VC wingview is perfect! Head scratchin' time!:dizzy:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56250&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56251&stc=1

gray eagle
December 9th, 2017, 10:44
Camera views "borrowed" from the C-97 Version 3. In the aircraft.cfg, I think it was [camera.001] and [camera.002]

@Manfred. I just downloaded and tried the C-97 Version 3. No wing view until I added in the Pan Am update from the C-97 thread. It looks great! No Glass problems and the VC wingview is perfect! Head scratchin' time!:dizzy:

I tried camera Views 001 and 002 and no dice. Do I have to find that Pan AM update to get those views?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56250&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56251&stc=1

tried camera Views oo1 and 002 and no dice. Do I have to find that Pan AM update to get those views?
EDIT: I found the Pan AM paint and there are no camera views in it.

MrZippy
December 9th, 2017, 11:54
tried camera Views oo1 and 002 and no dice. Do I have to find that Pan AM update to get those views?
EDIT: I found the Pan AM paint and there are no camera views in it.

Pam Am update is for the C-97 version 3. Same basic VC as the B-50 and with the update, I can now turn my head to the left and see the wing/engine view. This is what I also want for the B-50.

As far as the camera views are concerned, you need to right click and under Cockpit views, choose right or left wing view. This modification has nothing to do with turning your head in the VC and seeing the wings.

gray eagle
December 9th, 2017, 12:31
Pam Am update is for the C-97 version 3. Same basic VC as the B-50 and with the update, I can now turn my head to the left and see the wing/engine view. This is what I also want for the B-50.

As far as the camera views are concerned, you need to right click and under Cockpit views, choose right or left wing view. This modification has nothing to do with turning your head in the VC and seeing the wings.

I sent you a PM with the wing views based on the cameradef you sent me.

MZee1960
December 9th, 2017, 19:38
Hi Everyone !

Well, real life got in the way of my sim life again and so I had to take a three day hiatus from FSX.

Today, I finally got a couple of hours to 'fly'. After reading pretty well this entire thread all over again to catch up on where everything stands, I opted to follow 'TerryW's' path and what he said in post #45. Using the original 'vanilla' B-50 V1 download (no mods), I simply deleted the existing panel it came with and replaced it with the TEST panel, then re-named this TEST panel back to just 'panel' and put it back into the sim. I flew a total of seven round trip flights from KPSP to KBNG (the region of concern where the 'black' squares appear in Orbx textures on approach), re-starting FSX fresh each time between flights. After my sixth successful round trip flight with no issues, I had the champagne chilling in the fridge, and was getting ready to celebrate. Then I decided, ..... OK, one more last time and if all is well, then I'll call it a day and celebrate.

Flight number seven into KBNG :

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/12/10/Dwm2017-12-0922-01-50-61.jpg

:sorrow:

So now I know my FSX Deluxe Ed. with SP 1 and 2 (no Acceleration) is OK with a few P3D entries in the 'panel'. It just underlines the 'B50!Sim_B50' may indeed be somehow causing these graphic anomalies. The only test flights I had that were without issues were those where I 'deleted' this gauge from the panel config. So I guess now the question is, which version of the 'B50' gauge to use to replace the one that was in my trials ?

(PS... .Apart from these ground texture anomalies, I have no 'texture' issues with the aircraft and see wings from VC etc. and as far as I can tell everything seems to function OK from what I've tried. Running W7. )

MZee1960
December 9th, 2017, 22:15
Thanks Terry & ZSolt ... nice set of conflicting reports ...

Here, have another download:

This one has an additional Sim_B50.xml-b2 ('b-two') in it.

Terry (and anyone else) can you try this one as well and report back? Thanks.

@ZSolt, in your latest flight Monitor cannot read the FSX version - which is it?
The turretless version will have to wait until this issue is cleared up, so that I can add either an alternate panel or at least a health warning in the readme.

Hi Manfred,

Just tried the original, 'vanilla', B-50 V1 version, with this replacement 'Sim_B50.xml-b2 ('b-two')' gauge in it ---- no other changes/modifications/additions.

I flew seven trips from KPSP to KBNG, (re-starting FSX before each subsequent trip), with NO texture issues/anomalities whatsoever.
All Orbx ground textures OK.
All aircraft textures OK.
Wings visible from VC.
The shift-4 panel pops up as 'condensed', but can easily be expanded (panel reads 'TEST' on bottom RH corner).
Aircraft animations - turrets, doors, etc. all seem to work OK from the panel.

Maybe I'll have that champagne after all ! :jump:

Cheers, :ernaehrung004:
MZ.

mjahn
December 10th, 2017, 05:51
MZee, if Monitor is condensed you are not flying with sim_b50 b2, because b2 sets it to fully expanded.

I have got one final tip, we noticed that the texture.cfg's in all texture folders were faulty. They should all read:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

Please replace. Probably won't make much of a difference (texture.TEST had it correct), but it's better to go by the book.

On the whole, following the posts in this thread, the waters have been getting muddier and muddier. Time for me to admit defeat and let it rest.

MrZippy
December 10th, 2017, 08:12
On the whole, following the posts in this thread, the waters have been getting muddier and muddier. Time for me to admit defeat and let it rest.

ACK! My only issue is with the model file! As shown with my screenshots of the C-97 V.3 after doing your minor update, all shows well, Glass and VC wingview. That's all I need for the B-50:encouragement:

MZee1960
December 10th, 2017, 17:24
MZee, if Monitor is condensed you are not flying with sim_b50 b2, because b2 sets it to fully expanded.

I have got one final tip, we noticed that the texture.cfg's in all texture folders were faulty. They should all read:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

Please replace. Probably won't make much of a difference (texture.TEST had it correct), but it's better to go by the book.

Hi Manfred,

I double checked and discovered it was a naming error.
Corrected it and the fallbacks as well, went back in sim to check out everything.
Just as I was getting optimistic ....... on my 8th flight, those black squares re-appeared by KBNG, as happened before.
This is very sporadic, happens unpredictably, just reminds me of those 'g3d.dll' fatal errors my FSX was subject to, before I downloaded FSUIPC (aka 'the lifesaver' ).

I totally understand your position here. I am grateful for your beautiful C-47, which works flawlessly in my FSX, and will investigate other AC you have already done, to add to my virtual hangar.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays ! :santahat:

MZ.

mjahn
December 14th, 2017, 22:29
Well what do you know, I stumbled upon a seven-year old thread over at Avsim, which had a discussion on more or less exactly the artefacts some users have reported here. It had something like 500 replies, but roundabout p. 8 users began to report favorable results following a tweak suggested by fsx guru "Bojote". The tweak mainly consists of adding some adjustments to fsx.cfg.

1 - With FSX not running, find your fsx.cfg, usually at c:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fs x.CFG
2 - Make a backup copy, say fsx.CFG-001
3 - Using Notepad, check if there is a section called [bufferPools]
4 - If there isn't one, add it as follows

[bufferPools]
UsePools=0

If the section is already there, but has different settings, change it to read as above.

5 - Find the section called [GRAPHICS] and check if it contains the line

HIGHMEMFIX=1

If not there, add it.

6 - Save and exit. Run fsx loading one of the original B-50 models and see what's with the artefacts.

Note, Bojote also has some pointers concerning video settings and it may be worth reading up his more detailed comments such as this one here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/280688-graphics-corruption-in-fsx-update-possible-solution-found/?do=findComment&comment=1745212

WarHorse47
December 15th, 2017, 06:50
After replacing my video card some time back, I experimented with bufferpools and currently have it activated. This was after extensive research on the interweb.

At the moment I have my B-50 install working just dandy, so I'm not about to change anything. I'd be curious to hear from the others if disabling bufferpools removes their problems with the artifacts.

mjahn
December 15th, 2017, 23:24
I'd be curious to hear from the others if disabling bufferpools removes their problems with the artifacts.

You could quickly find this out yourself, and do me and other/future users a big favor. Please understand that my motive is to find a solution without any loss of functionality. As by step 2 you create a backup copy of fsx.cfg you can easily revert to your current setup after the test.

It's up to you, of course.

--Manfred

MrZippy
December 16th, 2017, 08:32
Hi Manfred, Happy Holidays!

Even with those changes to the FSX.cfg, my one and only one issue remains. No cockpit glass or plexiglass domes. VC wing view is no longer a concern because of the camera views I installed. The Monitor panel works perfectly and I have no issues with scenery.

I know my issue comes from the model because I had the same issue with Milton's new A-20 series. I corrected that by using the FS9 model, which shows perfectly.

You C-97 version 3, the C-47 ver 2, ver. 3.12, and ver. 3.14 all show correctly. Just curious if you are using any new modeling techniques in the B-50? I'm running WinXP 32 bit with FSX Standard with SP1 and 2.

I posted the same over at Flightsim site!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56382&stc=1

MZee1960
December 18th, 2017, 10:13
Hi Manfred,

I'm currently away from my sim computer and will be for the next several days due to Christmas break. I will definitely revisit my Bufferpools tweak when I get back. I remember several years ago sending my config file over to 'bojote' for analysis, and one recommendation he made was re this tweak. So I put in :

[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
RejectThreshold=131072

As I understand it :

Usepools is used to tell the sim to use or not use bufferpools (and therefore rejectthreshold); 0 = off, 1 = on.

So to see any difference you would want usepools=1

Leave a setting for poolsize completely alone and out of the Bufferpools section - its not needed when using rejectthreshold as only anything above this value is sent straight to your GPU. This basically means anything below that value gets sent to the pool, giving your bus a break. Poolsize=0 (or Usepools=0) would send all data directly to the GPU. It is rejectthreshold that makes the difference between seeing those jaggedy spikes or not as its an indication your GPU bus is being overwhelmed - hence the artifacts.

Start down low and work your way up until you find a size that removes them - everyone's rig is different so different settings for different people. A good starting ground is:

96kb = 98304 (anything lower is equivalent to not using it)
128kb = 131072
256kb = 262144
512kb = 524288

(eg. Rejectthreshold=131072 in my case)

Try to find the highest level that removes them and then work back down - try 32 kb size chunks to make it easy.

To this day, I still get the odd spike, especially in heavy Orbx regions which tells me something is momentarily being overwhelmed. The question is whether it's my i7 2600 CPU or my ATI Radeon HD 7970 GPU ? I have my suspicions that my ATI card can handle the extra workload so I will re-visit the 'usepools=0' setting. The worst thing about this is that the 'black squares' happen completely at random and sometimes not at all, which further leads me to believe that they may be due to something momentarily being 'overworked'. Why I even remember when they popped up in the past, just simply going to the FSX drop-down menu and choosing 'select aircraft' and re-loading exactly the same B-50 back into the exact same spot got rid of all of them - as if the sim now had a chance to 'catch it's breath' and all scenery was once again good.

I will re-visit this Bufferpools tweak in a few days time.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays !
MZ.

MrZippy
December 18th, 2017, 11:57
This was also posted over at Flightsim.com site.

Manfred,

I have either walked on water or suffered severe brain flatulence. I said to myself..."self, why not try
combining Manfred's shaders with my own?" I opened each of the sub-folders and copied and pasted into my shader file sub-folders all of your info overwriting what was in mine. Low and behold it's looking 99% better than ever! Thanks for your help on this project!

EVEN BETTER! I'm now 100% perfect! I was missing the common folder in the ShadersHLSL folder in the main FSX folder. Handy thing having a vanilla backup! Now I gotta test Milton and team's AG20!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56410&stc=1

MrZippy
December 18th, 2017, 13:07
Now at 100% outside visual of B-50! I was missing a Common folder inside of ShaderHLSL in the main FSX folder? No idea how it was missing but glad I keep a vanilla copy on a USB device! Thanks again, Manfred and to a friend over at Flightsim.com for spotting the missing folder!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56413&stc=1

mjahn
December 18th, 2017, 22:50
Hope it's a durable solution. But there were other, more radical cases, so I still don't know what to think of the whole matter. Flushing shaders (see the Flightsim thread) seems to be an alternative. Setting BufferPools to 0 may be too radical, as MZee says. Also the temporary overload that you mention may be a clue.

MrZippy
December 19th, 2017, 04:43
Hope it's a durable solution. But there were other, more radical cases, so I still don't know what to think of the whole matter. Flushing shaders (see the Flightsim thread) seems to be an alternative. Setting BufferPools to 0 may be too radical, as MZee says. Also the temporary overload that you mention may be a clue.

Here's hoping everything goes good from now on. Can't think of any reason that sub-folder came up missing. I also think that missing sub-folder caused what I saw when flushing the Shaders folder.

I guess we never stop learning about these flight sims! Beautiful aircraft, Manfred!:ernaehrung004: