PDA

View Full Version : Health Report for Roy Chaffin - Flightsimulator Contributor

familton
December 4th, 2017, 14:32
It is with deep sorrow I have to report of the deteriorating health condition of Roy Chaffin, my good friend.
Roy has been a great contributor to the Flight Simulator community. He has released packages for Combat Flight Simulator 2 and FS2002 all the way up to P3D
He has been suffering with Parkinson's Disease for some time. Three weeks ago Roy had a fall. He went to get up off a chair (one of those office chairs on wheels). It went one way, he went the other. He fell on his back with his head hitting the door jamb behind him and was not really with it.
Paramedics took him to a local hospital in an ambulance where he was x-rayed and they announced he had broken two vertebrae in his neck. They were unable to treat him and sent him to a major London hospital where spinal surgeons operated and inserted metal plates to support the neck. The good news is that the spinal chord was not breached and he is not paralyzed.
The surgeon said the operation was a complete success. He has gradually recovered from the operation although still very sore, stiff and weak from having to lay still for three weeks without sitting or standing.
He is being moved to a local private hospital where a regime of physiotherapy will begin - although he says he just wants a reasonable quality of life.

Roy is an Internationally acclaimed wildlife artist and is known for his unique style, combining photographic detail with an artistic portrayal. The results are dramatic, each animal painting seeming to acquire a living quality.
His paintingsand limited edition prints are collected by people around the world.
You can view some of his work at www.roychaffin.com. You can click on the link http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html to view his Flight Simulation addons.
He has worked with world famous Siegfried &Roy and Tippi Hedron's Shambala Preserve.
I hope your thoughts and prayers will be with him for his successful recovery, as I will.
Roy has authorized me to post this. Bob.

Bushpounder
December 4th, 2017, 14:45
Roy is a brilliant designer and artist. I always looked forward to receiving his Christmas Card every year. Please give Roy my best.

Don Moser

FlameOut
December 4th, 2017, 15:05
Very sorry to hear this dreadful news. That little slip could have been deadly if not leaving him a quadriplegic. Thank God he is Ok!

I had just checked his site a couple of days ago to see if he had made his yearly post.

He is well known to most of us old timers in this flight-sim world.

Get well Roy. God is with you.

familton
December 4th, 2017, 15:23
Thanks for all your thoughts. I'll pass them on to his wife. Regards, Bob.

IFlySWA
December 4th, 2017, 16:13
Horrible news about Roy's fall. I wish you a full and speedy recovery from your fall, Roy. Take care.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56110&stc=1

Brian

strykerpsg
December 4th, 2017, 18:24
I am sorry to hear of your friends situation. He, his family and those that know him, will be in my thoughts and prayers for improved health and recuperation.

stovall
December 4th, 2017, 20:38
Wishing the best for Roy. Hopefully he will make a speedy recovery.

Cees Donker
December 4th, 2017, 22:12
Get well soon Roy! Hang in there!

Cees

jankees
December 4th, 2017, 22:33
it's never nice to hear these stories, I hope he gets well soon.
Here's my take on his B-25:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/B-25/ss16526.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/B-25/ss16526.jpg.html)

StormILM
December 4th, 2017, 23:01
Just stopped by and happened to see this. I have been good friends with Roy for some time and up until last year, I received a yearly Christmas and Happy New Years digital art card from him and his wife. I am sad to hear this news and wish him all the best in his recovery. Roy is a truly good man!

ega
December 4th, 2017, 23:42
Very sad news! I long know Roy and I consider him a brilliant artist! Amazingly I was about to send him a message asking for news on his health.

I wish him a complete and quick recovery!

Edmundo

IanHenry
December 4th, 2017, 23:55
So sorry to hear this, very sad. I hope Roy can quickly regain the quality of life he desires.

Regards,
Ian

Gooneybird565
December 5th, 2017, 00:16
Sorry to read such news...
I have been flying Roy's DC-3 and B25, which are just but brilliant masterworks!
Roy, recover soon to the life quality you wish. Thoughts out of Paris to you and your family.

jpmouse
December 5th, 2017, 04:54
So sad to hear of Roy's situation. I wish him comfort and peace. I have admired his work for many years>

JPMouse

mal998
December 5th, 2017, 07:07
I too, have had correspondence with Roy and received his yearly Christmas cards. I am so sorry to hear of his misfortune and pray for his complete and speedy recovery. Get well soon Roy! :santahat:

familton
December 5th, 2017, 07:49
Thanks for all your thoughts. He sure did have some superb packages. I'll be passing on all the comments to him, here, and on the other FS Forums. I doubt that he will be able to send out his beautiful Christmas cards as usual this year. Bob.

Lonewolfee1
December 5th, 2017, 10:54
So sorry to hear the news, but Thank You for letting us know. I know Roy was having a difficult time and now this. Prayers for him and his family. I wish you all the best in the days ahead Roy.

Yossarian1943
December 5th, 2017, 11:01
I wish you a speedy recovery, Roy. Hold strong. :santahat:

roger-wilco-66
December 5th, 2017, 11:22
I also whish him a good recovery! I've always admired his sim work, which has been ahead of contemporary work at great length, in my eyes.

Cheers,
Mark

Rudyjo
December 6th, 2017, 15:40
For those who have never been to Roy's website, as mentioned here, he was also an unbelievable wildlife artist.
You are really good when someone looks at your painting and can't tell whether it's a painting or a photograph.

familton
December 9th, 2017, 10:12
I have an update on Roy's condition.

Roy's wife has been very moved and proud of all the comments the

flight sim community have made. She passed them on to Roy and he

says a big thank you to everyone who is rooting for him.

Roy is making progress - he was helped to a chair today and was able to

sit for over an hour without pain. A big step forward.

He will be moved to another facility called a Rehab Centre when he is

fit enough. His wife has been told he might have to be there for 6 weeks

before he can come home, but hopefully would be able to do so sooner.

Thanks for all your kind comments, Bob.

FlameOut
December 9th, 2017, 15:22
That's the way to go, Roy! :applause:

PhantomP
December 9th, 2017, 16:32
Sounds like things are looking better for you Roy,I wish you a quick recovery,and thanks for all your great planes,I use them often.:encouragement:

familton
December 28th, 2017, 10:01
Here is an update directly from Roy:

"Roy's Progress Report,

9th Nov - neck broken

13th Nov - neck surgically rebuilt

15th Dec - moved from hospital to rehabilitation centre

27th Dec - Now I am restricted to lying on my back in bed all day. I can sit for only two hours each day because my neck cannot yet support my head any longer than that. My neck and my hands are very painful.

All of the above needs massive doses of painkillers. Currently my hands do not work properly. I hope to progress more in the New Year

I wish you all a Happy New Year

Roy"

He really thanks all that have posted on this thread. Bob.

Dutcheeseblend
December 28th, 2017, 10:30
Oh man... Keep it up Roy!

IFlySWA
December 28th, 2017, 10:39
All the best to you Roy for a good New Year. :wavey:

Brian

Blackbird686
December 28th, 2017, 11:29
Hang in there Roy, sounds like you're making progress towards a complete recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

BB686:US-flag:

Naismith
December 28th, 2017, 14:47
Parkinsons is a bloody awful disease.... and they say there is a God.

manfredc3
December 28th, 2017, 15:41
Hang in there Roy,

I still fly the B25J frequently. Even to date it is still a piece of art.

Bushpounder
December 28th, 2017, 19:55
Hang in there, Roy. It is great to see an update. Happy New Year, my friend. I hope much of this will turn around for you this year!!

Don Moser (Bushpounder)

Lonewolfee1
December 28th, 2017, 22:17
Thinking of you Roy and wishing you all the best.

huub vink
December 29th, 2017, 04:15
Its good to hear Roy is still making progress :encouragement:

Huub

FlameOut
January 22nd, 2019, 13:57
I thought I'd pull up this old thread ..... Dinah, Roy's wife, has made a post to their web page.

It is not super bad news. Let's all offer up a little prayer for his continued progress and a full recovery ! :applause:

http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html

Postbaer61
January 22nd, 2019, 14:50
Great, finally some good news from Roy.
I'm very happy to hear that he is on a good way.
Thanks for the info.
I wish him all the best for his recovery and that he
soon come back to better healthy condition.

with the best wishes
Ulrich

IFlySWA
January 22nd, 2019, 15:04
Definitely encouraging news. All my best to Roy and Dinah. :wavey:

Brian

Sundog
January 22nd, 2019, 16:10
Man, that's a tough haul. Here's hoping he is up and doing everything he wants as fast as time allows.

DCA1161
January 27th, 2019, 01:00
Hi Roy, Budd Lane asked me to pass his best wishes for your health. He often thinks about you.
Roy

511Flyer
January 27th, 2019, 01:34
What a fighter. Good luck with your slow but sure recovery Roy.

:encouragement:

stansdds
January 27th, 2019, 03:32
7 months in a hospital, finally home and determined to walk again. That is a fighter! My best wishes to Roy on his recovery.