PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new DRM..

strykerpsg
December 4th, 2017, 00:36
Saw this thread on ED about the forthcoming new DRM on the new AV-8B. Rough read is you need to log in every couple of days to validate your license. Anyone with better knowledge know how this impacts our systems, additional modules, etc? Not looking for a flame session, but intelligent dialogue.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3304775#post3304775

Phantom88
December 4th, 2017, 10:55
Personally I think it's Great as I was running out of Mig-21 activations due to Windows 10 updates.

strykerpsg
December 4th, 2017, 14:38
Personally I think it's Great as I was running out of Mig-21 activations due to Windows 10 updates.

Yep, my MiG 21 activation pops on every time I log onto DCS World....a bit of a hassle. Does the new activation mean that one must always be online to fly though? I guess because I never had issues with the Starforce DRM, I never really disliked Starforce. I know for many however, that is not the case.

Phantom88
December 5th, 2017, 02:18
I Believe the new system checks "Phones Home" every three days....Once you log in and it runs the check,you can disconnect from internet.

scotth6
December 25th, 2017, 17:33
Yep, my MiG 21 activation pops on every time I log onto DCS World....a bit of a hassle. Does the new activation mean that one must always be online to fly though? I guess because I never had issues with the Starforce DRM, I never really disliked Starforce. I know for many however, that is not the case.

I remember there was an issue with the Mig-21 activations after a significant DCS update, it may have been the V2.1 update. I can't recall the exact process, but if you have a look through the Mig-21 forum you will find a reference to this. If you have completely run out of activations they will reinstate them, at a rate of about 1 per month I think.

Cheers,

strykerpsg
December 25th, 2017, 18:37
I remember there was an issue with the Mig-21 activations after a significant DCS update, it may have been the V2.1 update. I can't recall the exact process, but if you have a look through the Mig-21 forum you will find a reference to this. If you have completely run out of activations they will reinstate them, at a rate of about 1 per month I think.

Cheers,

Thanks Scott. Admittedly not flying her much, awaiting a good century series or forthcoming F-4 before tackling the beauty. I just made a reference to this issue because I had recently installed and updated, noting the MiG-21 did indeed pop up again, though I still had 9 activation's left, which was nice.

Liking the way DCS is slowlyyyyy coming together, WWII, Korea, Cold War and 21st Century rolling into one sim engine.

Mach3DS
December 25th, 2017, 18:46
It doesn't do anything. It keeps the license info prefilled in the activation window from your original activation, and all you have to do is click activate. It says it's already active in your system and then logs you in. Literally takes about 5 seconds.

strykerpsg
December 25th, 2017, 21:06
It doesn't do anything. It keeps the license info prefilled in the activation window from your original activation, and all you have to do is click activate. It says it's already active in your system and then logs you in. Literally takes about 5 seconds.

But, if you go beyond the 72 hours, you need to input all the activation codes again, assuming all of their modules will go this route eventually? If that's the case, sort of a pain in the arse to do, especially when you own most all of their modules.

Luckily, I have cobbled together a notepad document that has all of my activation codes, but not certain I will like turning DCS on every 71 hours or less to avoid multiple activation keys be re-input. I was absolutely ok with the former/current StarForce DRM, sans the MiG-21 module and I am all for practical DRM that is interference free after activating. This potentially just has some micro-managing effects that, well are potentially bothersome if one is not playing every few days. Heck, I would be ok with logging on every 30 days because that would be more practical, or, every 6 months even greater yet.

And, I am still speculating on the time frame, but 72 hours is what I last heard for required updates on your installed key. I really hope they re-think the timeframe and if my info is dated, apologies for mis-speaking.

Phantom88
December 28th, 2017, 04:12
I believe all new modules(and all old ones in later update) will use The New Harrier method of activation in a "keyless " activation system where your modules will be linked to your username/password account.Therefor you only need to log in to your DCS world account to activate.

Stickshaker
December 28th, 2017, 07:17
I waited four days to log in and all was well with the Harrier. I don't think you have to re-activate after not using DCS for a while. You merely need to connect to their server and your activations will be verified, I understand. Perhaps it will take a few seconds, but I think that is all.

strykerpsg
December 28th, 2017, 14:15
I believe all new modules(and all old ones in later update) will use The New Harrier method of activation in a "keyless " activation system where your modules will be linked to your username/password account.Therefor you only need to log in to your DCS world account to activate.

I waited four days to log in and all was well with the Harrier. I don't think you have to re-activate after not using DCS for a while. You merely need to connect to their server and your activations will be verified, I understand. Perhaps it will take a few seconds, but I think that is all.

That's good to hear about logging in after 4 days. I just finished setting up my desktop HOTAS and am dying to give DCS a whirlwind try. I also really want the Harrier, but still a bit put off by how poorly Razbam handled their A-7 TacPack upgrade for pre-buyers. Do you feel the Harrier, in it's current state, is about 95% good? In other words, meets all of one's normal expectations of a simulated Harrier in a combat sim environment?

Stickshaker
December 29th, 2017, 05:02
I haven’t used any of the systems, just flew around a bit and practiced landings. That part is excellent, and the cockpit is the best sim Harrier around. I sympathize with you concerning Razbam; their FSX Harrier had horrible V/STOL characteristics and despite all their promises it was, as far as I know, never solved. But in DCS I like both the Harrier and the Mirage 2000 very much. According to the forums some details are still problematic in the 2000, but it is more than good enough for me.

Phantom88
December 29th, 2017, 07:24
Haha...Much like StickShaker I've really only gotten around to practice flying/take offs and STOL.It is only in Early Access and very much in beta state,I do not think The Harrier training missions are working yet. If you'd like to see what and what's not modeled have a look at Jabbers tutorial missions,Very well done IMO.
https://youtu.be/HWV8xa3eL0Q

https://youtu.be/HWV8xa3eL0Q
Also,DCS has a Winter sale going on with most modules 50% off,You might find something more complete(and cheaper) than The Harrier.

Phantom88
December 29th, 2017, 07:29
To be fair to Razbam FSX Flight model Physics could never really mimic Vertical flight,This has been a problem from the beginning and continues to be in P3D.
DCS Rotary Flight model is excellent and STOL is really well done in The Harrier,I'm really enjoying this aspect of This Aircraft.

strykerpsg
December 29th, 2017, 16:51
I was okay with best efforts put forth on their FSX products. What really bothered me was they offered a pre-order for $75 (Seems right) for a all inclusive A-7 TacPack package, including all the modules combined. I bought it without hesitation. They then NEVER released anything, no beta, no alpha, just gone....not even a public statement or offer to refund the pre-orders. Total shat tactic that would garner a curb stomp if I met him in person. That is my issue. I can live with best attempts but don't steal my money.

Phantom88
December 30th, 2017, 03:52
WOW......That IS Concerning to say the least,I can't blame you for feeling the way you do Matt,The only thing I can offer in regard to The Harrier is that DCS/Eagle Dynamics Reputation is involved with the development and sale of The Harrier as well.
HNY 2018 Friend! :santahat:

henrystreet
December 30th, 2017, 04:28
I was okay with best efforts put forth on their FSX products. What really bothered me was they offered a pre-order for $75 (Seems right) for a all inclusive A-7 TacPack package, including all the modules combined. I bought it without hesitation. They then NEVER released anything, no beta, no alpha, just gone....not even a public statement or offer to refund the pre-orders. Total shat tactic that would garner a curb stomp if I met him in person. That is my issue. I can live with best attempts but don't steal my money.

I must confess to a bad case of this heartburn as well.

Developers are real people with ups and downs like real people have. But Iris made reasonably good on their C-27J promises and Milviz is still working on the B350.

Razbam's FSX works were always a little wonky but were iconic, lovable products. However, they are the ONLY developer who took my money for no final product.

I may relent and end up with the Harrier but likely would be a stern critic.

Stickshaker
December 30th, 2017, 04:36
Perhaps we should not look back too much anymore since, as Phantom88 implied, the way development is organized with DCS will encourage developers not to make promises that they may not reasonably be able to keep. Small disappointments will no doubt pop up, and it is not to be expected that all planes will be completely perfect in the eyes of everyone, but the larger ones like those mentioned above will hopefully be a thing of the past.
To pick up the thread again; up until now I have no negative experiences with the new DRM system.

strykerpsg
December 30th, 2017, 18:20
Perhaps we should not look back too much anymore since, as Phantom88 implied, the way development is organized with DCS will encourage developers not to make promises that they may not reasonably be able to keep. Small disappointments will no doubt pop up, and it is not to be expected that all planes will be completely perfect in the eyes of everyone, but the larger ones like those mentioned above will hopefully be a thing of the past.
To pick up the thread again; up until now I have no negative experiences with the new DRM system.

You are right, just a bitter pill to swallow is all. I do love what they are putting forth, just do not want to get burned twice. Letting bygones go is always done best when one at least openly apologizes to be accountable for their actions, as military service has taught me my entire life. Even a discount would do so much to put that bad memory aside, therefore I will certainly await a good sale on her, as well as patches.

Thanks for the feedback all. I too will give in, just not this quarter.

Stickshaker
December 31st, 2017, 01:59
I fully understand, respect and share your feelings, Matt.