PDA

View Full Version : OT: NVidia Experience?

Desert Rat
December 1st, 2017, 13:54
Thought I'd ask here, due to footfall, general tech level of frequenters, etc.

Is it worth installing NVidia Experience? PROs and CONs (I'm sure there are both). It's been a while since I had an NVidia card, got one today, so would appreciate any advise or input.

Ta muchly,
Jamie

Desert Rat
December 1st, 2017, 14:04
OK, forget that, installing the drivers installed it anyways, guess I'll work it out on my own over time. Feel free to delete this pointless thread. Sorry.

As a good man once said....

'Please disregard'

LOL,
Jamie

Mach3DS
December 1st, 2017, 14:37
Yes. It's the only way to go. Gives you access to "Shadow Play" which records your video output directly to .mp4 format real time. You can setup hotkeys, live broadcast, screen capture etc. all from Shadow play with Almost ZERO impact to FPS, I think it might occasionally drop 1 FPS due to Shadow Play activity. Makes updating drivers a cinch.

Desert Rat
December 1st, 2017, 15:38
Thank you Rick. I very much appreciate the feedback.

I'll get round to the 'fancy' stuff soon, busy just 'beta testing' my new GPU with my installed software. I was using the integrated GPU on my i76700K due to my last GPU going south. Performed better than I had expected. But my new card has seen FSW fps jump from 20-30fps with mid settings (not bad for an integrated GPU!) to well into triple figures with settings modestly increased (baby steps, don't want to go all guns blazing and be disappointed, rather slow, small steps and be pleasantly surprised.)

Been testing in FSW initially. I'm really impressed with the features FSW has, PBR seems to be the biggie right now, but for me the volumetric clouds of Truesky integration are leagues ahead of that, getting lost in clouds in a Super Cub with no artificial horizon or VSI is actually truly nerve racking. You lose ALL visual reference, a real pea-souper.

regards,
Jamie

gman5250
December 1st, 2017, 17:44
If your card is making triple digit frames you will like Nvidia Experience. The Shadowplay feature wants to see solid 60 FPS for recording and other functions, so you will be well within the zone. If you ever get a hankering to make a video, the interface is straight forward and makes super high quality vid.

vortex
December 2nd, 2017, 03:50
Yes. It's the only way to go.

Have to disagree. Apart from Shadow Play, as far as I'm concerned there's no good reason to install, or keep, GeForce Experience (and plenty not to). You only need to look around other gaming forums to see the complaints about it. I had a problem with the NVIDIA Control Panel and NVIDIA Inspector not retaining changed settings which was finally fixed (after a lot of troubleshooting) by removing GeForce Experience - not uncommon, apparently. There are complaints about it screwing up new driver installs and the game optimisation feature doesn't include any of the popular flight sims.

Some people have no issues with it, but enough do (me included) to make it something to avoid unless you specifically need Shadow Play.

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2017, 15:49
I'm with Vortex. Don't need the driver auto-updates and when I want to record a video, I'll use Open Broadcast System.