PDA

View Full Version : OT: What are your other hobbies?

djscoo
February 13th, 2009, 19:19
Other than flightsim, what are you into?

I like:

art (mostly abstract architectural stuff- though I'm working on my portrait skills.),
music (I like post-rock, alternative, and avant-garde type mostly though I have been known to listen to about anything.)
hiking/camping.

tigisfat
February 13th, 2009, 19:35
drag racing, street racing, real flying, real soaring, animal husbandry, reading, guitar, drums, bass, piano, fiddle, *cough*bagpipes*cough*, firearms, automotive restoration, aircraft restoration, running, lifting weights and complaining.:faint:

OBIO
February 13th, 2009, 19:46
My 2 dogs, fish keeping, ferrets, antiques, reading, classic American Muscle cars (can't afford the real things...so I collect the Johnny Lightning versions of them). There are other hobbies I want to engage in, but my wife says I am not allowed to...motor cycles, snakes, and spiders.

OBIO

Oh, forgot....collecting WW2 era items, either military or civilian.

Piglet
February 13th, 2009, 21:59
Plotting world domination... Putting puppies in charge of everything... writing silly posts....

Wulf190
February 13th, 2009, 23:04
-Tweaking computers
-building the odd model
-writing poetry (I'll just tell yalls to shudap right now)
-Adding to my 'minor' (yeah right) collection of WWII aircraft books

strega13
February 14th, 2009, 01:29
- music ( anything but pop , rap or reggae )
- reading ( read anything and everything from ancients civilizations , world religions , airplanes , have a fascination with sharks , rally racing , anything that has to do with the paranormal ... don't do novels much outside of classics or sci-fi stuff , especially star wars )
- a , for now , tiny collection of dragon statues
- riding bicycle
- little collection of star wars items
- snorkeling
and just too many other things

Thoe6969
February 14th, 2009, 04:31
Riding my Goldwing and racing a dirt late model.

Navy Chief
February 14th, 2009, 04:52
Wait a minute; you mean to tell me there are OTHER hobbies besides Flight Simulation? Horror upon horrors!!

Other than flight simming, I'd have to say spending time with my rottweiler, "Chief", and listening to music.

NC

Odie
February 14th, 2009, 04:59
Collecting Comics
Collecting Original comic art
DVD's
Diecast models
Plastic models
Action Figures
Authentic Naval aviation items
MP3's
Military Challenge coins
Autographs
Military Historical books

It's not a hobby, it's an obsession.....:typing:

Lewis-A2A
February 14th, 2009, 05:32
Skating;;
http://www.vimeo.com/2301248

:kilroy:

Brian_Gladden
February 14th, 2009, 05:48
Besides Flightsim???? Well my latest obsession has been writing Sci-fi Fan Fiction. All in the Firefly/Serenity Universe. Hence my Avatar.

To date I've written over 365,000 words spread over 10 stories. All since about this time last year.

Need something to keep me occupied. Unemployment is very boring otherwise.

Brian

Navy Chief
February 14th, 2009, 05:52
Military Challenge coins
:typing:

I was lucky enough to have met the Chairman, Joint Chief of Staff, Shalikashvili, in 1996 at NAS Whidbey. Got two of his coins. The only other ones I have are: Master Gunnery Sergeant House, MCAS Iwakuni, Japan, and a US Navy CPO coin.

NC

harleyman
February 14th, 2009, 06:07
Just Flight Sims and Riddin my Harley ....

I do collect Harley things too and have a fairly large collection....

I forgot... I have a full wood shop and like to tinker and build furniture and frames and such....

cheezyflier
February 14th, 2009, 06:14
back when i had a job i had hobbies. now i can't afford any of them.

aside from flight sim, i work out, and when the season here allows, i have my bicycle and i do some fishing here and there. someday, when i have a job again (and less time for hobbies) i'll go back to motorcycling and guitar.

Haitun
February 14th, 2009, 06:23
Walking, running, camping, fishing, skating, sleighing, skydiving, soaring, writing books about aviation, railroads and sea, travelling along Eurasia, sauna, pub crawling, dancing, writing silly posts.

Cazzie
February 14th, 2009, 06:31
Plastic modeling, bicycling, astronomy, photography. hiking, doing civic work with some very special people (Special Olympics).

Caz

TomSteber
February 14th, 2009, 06:38
Anything aviation. EAAer since 1979 but have been going to Oshkosh since 1970. (Mom & Dad used to go to Rockford). Dad was a pilot (He also was a blimp pilot in the Navy/Naval Reserve back in the late forties till when they were taken out of service. Have lot's of great home movies and pictures)
Don't have my license yet, but I do have some stick time and my wife got me two introductory flight lessons for Christmas that I still have to use. Just waiting for warmer weather. Also flying R/C, although that's been put on the back burner for awhile lately. Switching over to more "Parkflyer" type stuff. (Cheaper and fly anywhere)

Sci-Fi (Favorite movies: Close Encounters, Forbidden Planet, Signs, Contact, too many more)
Anything paranormal (Big fan of Coast to Coast AM. Been listening since 1997)

Music (Anything that is "good") except Rap/Hip-Hop
Grew up in musical family and have been a drummer since age 5. Played in bands and taught for years but semi retired from it in '99. My wife and I play on the worship team at our church.

warbird861
February 14th, 2009, 07:47
I cycle, play world in conflict and watch good comedies and top gear. I also play vviola da gamba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viol) and if there's someone else who plays this or you even know someone who plays this I'm really surprised :woot:

magoo
February 14th, 2009, 07:50
....Work.....

Daveroo
February 14th, 2009, 07:51
welp....
i collect diecast:
aircraft,military vehicals,cars,catapliar tractors
collect DVD movies and tv programs(cartoons)
and care for my cat..(full time hobby there)

warbird861
February 14th, 2009, 07:56
Skating;;
http://www.vimeo.com/2301248

:kilroy:

Do we see you on that video?

Pepere
February 14th, 2009, 08:32
Nothing! :wave:

David :kilroy:

Tako_Kichi
February 14th, 2009, 09:10
Do we see you on that video?
Lewis is the one in the beige sweater with glasses and the 'Natural Point' baseball cap. He's easy to spot....just look for the guy who falls down a lot! :173go1:

Willy
February 14th, 2009, 09:47
When I'm not flying or mucking about with AI flights, I sometimes sling a little paint or mess with flight models.

My non-FS hobbies include this site, shooting old west type guns, reloading ammo, student of Marlin short action lever action rifles (Models 1888, 1889 and 1894), collecting antique ammunition (44-40 Winchester), coin collecting (US cents made before 1910 in particular) and whatever else strikes my fancy.

This is not counting time spent messing with the critters (Min Pins, Jay D Byrd and my horse Ruby)

Lewis-A2A
February 14th, 2009, 13:24
Cheeky buggar Larry!

ahh my precious babies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/shad1.jpg

Wittpilot
February 14th, 2009, 14:43
I like everything soccer, building models, model rockets, and obviously restoration work on real warbirds.....
-witt

Kiwikat
February 14th, 2009, 14:51
Anything aviation. EAAer since 1979 but have been going to Oshkosh since 1970.

:woot: I think we should get all the SOH members together at KOSH one of these years. I've been going with my father since I was 5.

Other than aviation interests, I'm a weather geek, go storm chasing locally, work, attend college, and play lots of Counter-Strike Source (especially now that I have my new PC).

David_L6
February 14th, 2009, 15:50
I do lots of other stuff. My main hobby is racing outboard hydroplanes. I've been doing that for 28 years now. My son and I ride dirt bikes, hunt (deer and ducks), and fish. I also like tinkering with computers when I can find the time and money....

djscoo
February 14th, 2009, 18:35
Here's some of my latest creations, I'm still trying to get the hang of Paintshop Pro.

pointy31
February 14th, 2009, 18:59
Well, I was into plastic scale models, but got burned out
then into radio control aircraft, but got burned out
then into real aircraft, but got burned out
then into fishing, but got burned out
then into sailing, but got burned out
then into motorcycles (Harleys), but got burned out
then into flight simming, but ....still into it...:ernae:,

cheezyflier
February 14th, 2009, 19:59
i like to play with ms paint sometimes

here is a chopper i drew. sadly photobucket destroys some of it when you upload it, so you may not see that i drew the individual links of chain, and the chain adjuster, screws, etc.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/chopper21.jpg

here is a single frame of a cartoon character i made up. i have a whole story for him, including family and friends. he's older than that now though.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/lunch.jpg

NSS
February 15th, 2009, 01:15
Kinda speaks for itself really..

Buddha13
February 15th, 2009, 06:17
Hi all,
Die cast model a/c and tanks,
model railways,Preferably LMS region.
Computers in general.
Football,UK not US.
Science fiction and fantasy books.
Greyhound racing.
My cats and dogs.
Walking on the beach with my wife and dogs.Beach less than 200 yds from my house.

Buddha13

Blackbird686
February 15th, 2009, 06:37
Body Building and Fitness Training.... (something I can afford):weightlifter:
Real Aviation.... (something I can't afford):isadizzy:
Target and competition shooting, mainly pistol. (bowling pins, silhouettes...etc):bowlingpin:
Fixing broken computers.... hardware and software.:typing:

Thats about it.

BB686:USA-flag:

tigisfat
February 15th, 2009, 08:05
oh!! almost forgot. Like several others here, I like to spend some time helping conduct a global war on terrorism. I say that generally (global) but I don't think a B-1 has dropped a bomb on a terrorist in many places besides the two main warzones.:woot::ernae:

WarHorse47
February 15th, 2009, 08:11
* Collecting and reading books on aviation history, no novels.
* Collecting and watching aviation DVD's from documentaries to Hollywood movies.
* Collecting 1/18th scale Racing Corvette diecasts
* Traveling and visiting various aviation museums
* Digital photography from vintage car races to Reno Air Racing
* My cat, an 18 year old Himalayan.
* Driving and maintaining my 35 year old Corvette
* Maintaining the house and yard when the weather is nice
* Spending time with the wife including weekend trips, time with the grandkids, crusing around town in the Vette, etc.

--WH

EasyEd
February 15th, 2009, 09:43
Hey All,

Hmm...

Things I do:
- golf
- mandolin
- harmonica
- photography (now into HDRs)
- hunt (includes camp sometimes canoe)
- games - FS, strategy wargames from SSG, some others
- dance (swing/square)
- laborador retrievers and stock dogs
- mess with our cats heads

Things I watch/read/listen to/fascinated by:
- golf
- NASCAR
- March MADNESS (best sporting event of the Year and there's many good ones)
- rodeo and PBR
- tractors (actually all things agriculture) (need to start collecting)
- cowboy westerns (movies/books/tv)
- war documentaries/military strategy
- music - country and bluegrass and blues
- airplanes

needles to say I've a number of books about all these things.

Might be a few more but these come to mind right away.

-Ed-

grumpos
February 15th, 2009, 10:15
Les Paul Standard with crown inlays, 1989.

Best wishes
Steve P

cheezyflier
February 15th, 2009, 13:38
Les Paul Standard with crown inlays, 1989.

Best wishes
Steve P

i had a nice les paul custom with a flame top on it, and dimarzio pick ups. it is the guitar i miss the 2nd most. the one i miss more than all the others looked just like this one:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0zKK5jSvkHY/SGDnl4QNfzI/AAAAAAAAAeU/gZelHCynp64/s400/kramer-450g.jpg

it was a kramer 450G it had an aluminum neck. you could do what ever you wanted to it and it refused to go out of tune.

Gwynedd
February 15th, 2009, 14:12
Flying for real
Cooking (especially stir fry's, Italian dishes and poultry-based meals)
Classic rock music
Shopping, Shopping, Shopping
Sometimes buying after shopping
Watching college basketball - men's and women's
Walking with my dog
Following political news

TeaSea
February 15th, 2009, 16:13
Plotting world domination... Putting puppies in charge of everything... writing silly posts....

Hey!!

I was plotting world domination!

tigisfat
February 15th, 2009, 18:32
Hey!!

I was plotting world domination!

So....wat happens if you two meet? Will you then be forced to fight to the death? Do you guys have sidekicks?:applause:

Brian_Gladden
February 15th, 2009, 18:56
So....wat happens if you two meet? Will you then be forced to fight to the death? Do you guys have sidekicks?:applause:

German Shepherds at 20 paces....

Brian

TARPSBird
February 15th, 2009, 20:10
Model trains (N scale and Lionel 3-rail O gauge), WWII history (mainly Pacific Theater), Major League baseball (Go Cubs! :banghead: ), reading, photography and drawing. Haven't done much with the last two lately, need to get back into them. :)

Snuffy
February 16th, 2009, 03:16
My other Hobby?

Trying to maintain my sanity ... :help:

Cazzie
February 16th, 2009, 04:40
My other Hobby?

Trying to maintain my sanity ... :help:

:d "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy".

Young Tom Waits

R_0E7x3Nqys

GT182
February 16th, 2009, 05:47
It's all in my Sig. ;)

Tom Clayton
February 16th, 2009, 08:28
I enjoy photography once in a while. I'm usually too self-critical to show anything, but this one turned out pretty well for a point & shoot that stays in my pocket...
(click thumb for 1024 version)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tomclayton/realaviation/th_skychips.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tomclayton/realaviation/skychips.jpg)

My other "hobby" is also my main form of transportation. I ride to work during the week and for pleasure on weekends!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tomclayton/bike/th_meriding.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tomclayton/bike/meriding.jpg)

cheezyflier
February 16th, 2009, 09:45
is that a marauder?

Tom Clayton
February 16th, 2009, 21:07
I believe it's what used to be a Marauder. Now it's part of the Boulevard line. Mine's the M50. Billed as "50 cubic inches," it's really 805cc or appx. 49 cubic inches.

Willy
February 16th, 2009, 21:46
Sounds like when I used to ride Tom. Everywhere, anywhere and all the time.