PDA

View Full Version : CH Fw-190A-1 question

SSI01
November 29th, 2017, 00:51
I have noted in my FSX installation the presence of two textures of Fw-190A1s, one labeled "CHH" and the other "CHL." Each of these textures produces only a black image of a Fw with its cockpit apparently intact. There are two other Fws in that same folder whose appearance is normal.

Does anyone know what exactly those texture folders (CHH/CHL) do, and can they be safely eliminated? They are showing up in the FSX aircraft roster page as greyed-out textures, like what you would see because there is no thumbnail photo available.

huub vink
November 29th, 2017, 03:17
As I answering from phone, I can't check, I assume it has to do with the different texture sizes for the cockpit. CH offered the choice between textures in 2048 and 1024 for the cockpit and a tool to switch between both of them. I assume CHH stands for High resolution (2048) and that CHL stands for Low resolution (1024).
As said I'm not with my computer, but the resolutions could also be 4096 and 2048.

SSI01
November 29th, 2017, 09:28
So maybe what I need to do is put them both in dxt.bmp and check the resolution. The overall black aircraft object means there are no .dds files for external appearances, and whatever is in these folders is meant for use in the interior of the aircraft, as you have written.

I'll take a look and report back.

WarHorse47
November 29th, 2017, 09:37
Take a look at the texture.cfg files in the other texture folders, you will see that both of these folders are used for fallback references. I don't think they are meant for a complete aircraft texture.

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\texture.CHH
fallback.3=..\texture.CHL

I wouldn't mess with them if it were me.

huub vink
November 29th, 2017, 10:03
So maybe what I need to do is put them both in dxt.bmp and check the resolution. The overall black aircraft object means there are no .dds files for external appearances, and whatever is in these folders is meant for use in the interior of the aircraft, as you have written.

I'll take a look and report back.

I"m behind the computer now so I could check. These folders contain all cockpit textures for all your models. CHH is for the textures in 4096 format and 2048 is for the same textures in 2048 format. There is a small tool issued by CH to change textures, what this tool actually does is renaming the file extension due to which FSX will automatic fall back to the folder which contains the textures it can read.

As warhorse already said, when you don't know what you are doing don't touch it. When you understand the principle and are convinced you know how to do it, you can safely remove the textures you don't use.

Cheers,
Huub

SSI01
November 29th, 2017, 17:13
Gentlemen, much thanks for your help. Your advice makes perfect sense to me.

The CHH and CHL files make for textures within the sim as I may have mentioned previously, however they are greyed out so I will have to learn to ignore them.

BTW I am finding out how difficult it is to land a small tail-dragger, not in the last bit easy however the P-51 and P-47 seem to be easier to master. Heavier aircraft like the C-46 and C-47 aren't a problem.