PDA

View Full Version : F9F Cougar (Rob Richardson)

fallenphoenix1986
November 25th, 2017, 03:50
Thought you guys might want to know about this, heard Rob was working on the TSR2 again so went over to his site to have a look. While there I noticed his current teaser pic is a Cougar :jump:

Says "Maybe" next to it but I'm hopeful, always had a soft spot for the Cougar.

Edit: Link: http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/index.html

Willy
November 25th, 2017, 03:54
Oh yes! A Cougar would get a lot of hours here.

TARPSBird
November 25th, 2017, 04:21
A Cougar? Yes, please! :encouragement:

fsafranek
November 25th, 2017, 05:19
Would really like to see a two-seater. Just something very attractive about that aircraft shape with the longer canopy. But happy for anything.
:ernaehrung004:

warchild
November 25th, 2017, 05:41
Been waiting for a cougar for years.. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArNz8U7tgU4

robcarrich
November 25th, 2017, 06:17
Would really like to see a two-seater. Just something very attractive about that aircraft shape with the longer canopy. But happy for anything.

Yes I like the two-seater, there is also something quite appealing about the long nose P model, in a strange sort of way.
The Cougar had some rather unusual systems such as the flaperettes and the yaw damper rudder, only the bottom half of which was controlled by the rudder peddles.
The T model was also one of the first aircraft to have zero-zero ejector seats, courtesy of Martin Baker.
The bulge under the nose housed a UHF homing antenna.
And of course it was used by the Blue Angels who even took it to war in Korea, one of their number being killed.

RobR

Mike71
November 25th, 2017, 06:51
I got a lot of time in Cougars - first as a student in Kingsville, Texas in 1966, then an instructor at Beeville in 1970-1971. We had both single and two seaters as a student, but only the 2-seat "orange and white Easter egg" later on in the 1970s. TA-4Js started to come in around 1972.

All the types I flew were the "-8" versions, with fixed, cambered leading edge wings.

You are right - some really weird concepts and systems due to Navy paranoia about transonic, irreversible flight controls. It had a bewildering amount of double or triple redundancy in different places. The speed brake system, the horizontal tail, flaps etc were a watchmakers nightmare, but it was in the end pretty reliable. We did not get the zero-zero MB seats until late 1970 as I recall.

It had a centrifugal flow engine that could eat a wrench with no damage, but of course not too powerful or efficient. It was a dog taking off on a hot Texas afternoon, for sure.

A curious point was the non-retractable tail hook.

A U-shaped handle was attached to a cable; three aft pulls on this handle - sort of like trying to start a lawnmower - and the hook mechanisms rolled aft on a trolley-like assembly below the tailpipe. Once it rolled back far enough, it dangled down from its pivot point to its proper orientation and a light showed that it was extended.

By pushing a button, it could be raised hydraulically after a carrier landing to a horizontal, but aft-extended position (called the "stinger" position) to clear the landing area. Then two guys from the arresting gear crew would shove it into the stowed and locked position with a piece of iron pipe that had what I believe was a hunk of matress wrapped around it. They held the pipe, one man on each side of the tailpipe, at a 90 degree angle to the airplane, the padding was placed against the backside of the hook point, and the heave forward to shove the hook home.

The F9F Panthers worked the same way.

Oh well, whatever works --

Cees Donker
November 25th, 2017, 07:06
I'm getting that Buck Danny feeling again!

:encouragement:

Cees

fallenphoenix1986
November 25th, 2017, 07:10

i'm much the same actually, would love a TF-9 but I'll takes what I can gets.

Mike, I've heard that a lot actually, something along the lines of it only taking off on a hot day because the surface of the Earth was curved, much the same as the F-84 and the Jaguar. Regarding the Hook, if I'm not mistaken the Panther was the same and Vertigo actually managed to model this, only way to re-stow the hook was to reload the aircraft.

Mike71
November 25th, 2017, 07:22
Takeoffs on a hot day - hold on to your hat! There were days when we would not fly due to temperatures that limited climbout after takeoff. Problem was -- the damn inboard gear doors had to OPEN to retract the gear, momentarily increasing drag at a critical point, especially for students. Some days at certain hours, only dual hops were allowed, some days at times it was so hot no one flew until it cooled down.

Remember, I'm talking south Texas in July-August. Hotter than the hinges of hell at times.

falcon409
November 25th, 2017, 07:32
. . . . .Regarding the Hook, if I'm not mistaken the Panther was the same and Vertigo actually managed to model this, only way to re-stow the hook was to reload the aircraft.
Yep, a nice touch to model it like the actual aircraft, however it became a point of much debate by those of us who thought it interesting but not very user friendly. They finally (after about a year) released an update that allowed for resetting the hook from the cockpit. Aside from that I thought it was a nicely done model and still have it active.

MrZippy
November 25th, 2017, 08:08
Takeoffs on a hot day - hold on to your hat! There were days when we would not fly due to temperatures that limited climbout after takeoff. Problem was -- the damn inboard gear doors had to OPEN to retract the gear, momentarily increasing drag at a critical point, especially for students. Some days at certain hours, only dual hops were allowed, some days at times it was so hot no one flew until it cooled down.

Remember, I'm talking south Texas in July-August. Hotter than the hinges of hell at times.
Probably no problem after strapping or hooking a couple of JATO bottles to each side of the aircraft and lighting them off! I remember watching JATO practice with the EKA-3b Skywarriors at NAS Whidbey just before our 1970 WestPac deployment.

Steven190
November 25th, 2017, 08:18
We need a good Cougar Looking forward to this model, My vote is for the single seat model.

Javis
November 25th, 2017, 10:48
I'm getting that Buck Danny feeling again!

:encouragement:

Cees

Me too, Cees ! :D

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/BDGO.jpg

Sjeesss, Buck, Sonny and Thumbler are flying the F-35 now.... they must be over 70 years old...:biggrin-new:

Sundog
November 25th, 2017, 11:42
Just yesterday, I was thinking while flying Rob's Seahawk that we could use a good Cougar in FS. What a great surprise!

dhasdell
November 25th, 2017, 14:02
One of the first plastic kits I ever built was a Cougar, by, I think, Comet.

only way to re-stow the hook was to reload the aircraft.

Wasn't there a Sea Hurricane like that, maybe in FS9?

TARPSBird
November 25th, 2017, 21:10
Besides the two-seat TF-9J I'd love to have the single-seat RF-9J photo bird too but I'll be happy with the gunfighter if/when Rob puts it out. Nice companion to the Vertigo Panther.

mal998
November 26th, 2017, 04:57
I have a special affinity for the Cougar. These 2 newspaper photos will tell the story of what happened when I wrote to the Navy for aircraft photos. This happened in 1956 when I was 10 years old. BTW, I still have that model.

Click on each photo.

55913 Me on the right

55914 Me on the left

txnetcop
November 26th, 2017, 05:07
Looking forward to this Rob...OUTSTANDING!
Ted

Wings of Gold
November 26th, 2017, 06:26
Much as I would like any Cougar, the two seat version remained long after the single seat version left service. It was unusually attractive, and trained a great number of Naval Aviators. I remember it fondly. Please Rob.
Bill

robcarrich
November 26th, 2017, 06:31
I have a special affinity for the Cougar. These 2 newspaper photos will tell the story of what happened when I wrote to the Navy for aircraft photos. This happened in 1956 when I was 10 years old. BTW, I still have that model.

Click on each photo.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55913&stc=1 Me on the right

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55914&stc=1 Me on the left

That's a really good story!
I'd love to see a close up picture of that model, from what I can see in the article they look first class quality.

IFlySWA
November 26th, 2017, 06:35

Click on each photo.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55913&stc=1 Me on the right

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55914&stc=1 Me on the left

Great story! Thanks for sharing it. :biggrin-new:

Brian

robcarrich
November 26th, 2017, 06:55
Much as I would like any Cougar, the two seat version remained long after the single seat version left service. It was unusually attractive, and trained a great number of Naval Aviators. I remember it fondly. Please Rob.
Bill

The single seat is all I can think about right now, so much work involved, although I do like the trainer and the P8.
I have quite a lot of info on all models, just got hold of "Naval Fighters 66" and "67", loads of good photos and diagrams!
I've never seen one in the flesh, dont think there are any in UK museums.
There is one on board the USS Intrepid in New York ,which I visited a few years back, but it was not there then.
I'm afraid the old pension will not run to another trip just yet!

RobR

WarHorse47
November 26th, 2017, 07:10
The single seat is all I can think about right now, so much work involved, although I do like the trainer and the P8.
I have quite a lot of info on all models, just got hold of "Naval Fighters 66" and "67", loads of good photos and diagrams!
I've never seen one in the flesh, dont think there are any in UK museums.
There is one on board the USS Intrepid in New York ,which I visited a few years back, but it was not there then.
I'm afraid the old pension will not run to another trip just yet!

RobRWe got one up in Seattle at the Boeing Museum of Flight (http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/grumman-f9f-8-f-9j-cougar).

And there's a trainer at the Evergreen Aviation Museum down in McMinnville, Or.

I might have some external pics from prior visits if it might help.

mal998
November 26th, 2017, 07:11
Rob,
Here she is, a little worse for wear. After all, I have been dragging her around for the past 61 years. OMG! Many years ago while I was still into model building (probably the late sixties, early seventies) I got the bright idea to re-paint her in USN Gloss Sea Blue. That little venture undoubtedly cost me some dollars in re-sale value as old Topping models can be quite valuable. This model unpainted was probably worth $80-$90 u.s.

b52bob
November 26th, 2017, 07:12
Loved the two seater at Moffit in the late 50’s. Lots of them unfortunately ended up in the golf course or clobbering the big “wheels Down” sign between the runways.

MrZippy
November 26th, 2017, 07:18
Best action movie involving the Panther was "Bridges at Toko-Ri".

robcarrich
November 26th, 2017, 07:39
Rob,
Here she is, a little worse for wear. After all, I have been dragging her around for the past 61 years. OMG! Many years ago while I was still into model building (probably the late sixties, early seventies) I got the bright idea to re-paint her in USN Gloss Sea Blue. That little venture undoubtedly cost me some dollars in re-sale value as old Topping models can be quite valuable. This model unpainted was probably worth $80-$90 u.s.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55915&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55916&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55917&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55918&stc=1

I thought it looked good in the newspaper clip and it mentioned the models come from Grumman and sure enough that's a beauty!
Thank you for taking the trouble to show it.

RobR

robcarrich
November 26th, 2017, 07:48
We got one up in Seattle at the Boeing Museum of Flight (http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/grumman-f9f-8-f-9j-cougar).

And there's a trainer at the Evergreen Aviation Museum down in McMinnville, Or.

I might have some external pics from prior visits if it might help.

Any information you might have would be very welcome, thank you in advance.

RobR

jamminjames
November 26th, 2017, 07:57
Great story and pics...

mal998
November 26th, 2017, 08:50
Rob, Actually I might just have some info on the Cougar in the form of Grumman pictures, books and pilot's manuals. PM me your email and I'll zip up a bunch of stuff and send it over to you.

Wings of Gold
November 26th, 2017, 10:03
Hi Rob, I have all 4 volumes of John Elliott's "The Official Monogram US Navy and Marine Corp Aircraft Color Guide"' These have complete coverage of the USN external and interior painting directives - along with diagrams. PM me your email and I'll send you applicable paragraphs. Best, Bill

warchild
November 26th, 2017, 10:21
Thought you Gents just might get a smile outa this.. :)
http://test2.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/Grumman-Cougar/IMAGES/Grumman-F9F-Cougar-Blue-Angel.jpg

and to go with that image:::

https://acesflyinghigh.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/blue-angels-c-121j-constellation-support-aircraft-pictured-in-1968.jpg

Mike71
November 26th, 2017, 10:53
Any information you might have would be very welcome, thank you in advance.

RobR

Systems & performance wise, let me know what you might need. I am 74 now, but remember much about it - and there is some WEIRD stuff!

For instance, the pneumatic, 3rd level redundant pneumatic flaperette system - emergency use, 22 cycles of left and right stick before the bottle charge was gone. Only in case you lost TWO hydraulic systems! We actually had to practice landings with flaperettes; there was a switch to isolate the flaperon system so only the flaperettes worked.

like most older jets, constant speed drives to run an AC generator were not developed yet, so you had DC powered motors to run AC generators (primary and secondary inverters) By the way, the A-3 "Whale" used engine bleed air to turn air turbine motors to run AC generators. You can see the ATM exhausts on the port side fuselage low and aft of the cockpit (two holes) - pretty obvious when you look for them. All this crap didn't help the weight issues on older and underpowered planes.

Bjoern
November 26th, 2017, 15:23
Lots of pics of the F9F.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Grumman_F9F_Cougar

The other early Grumman jets are also quite interesting, especially the XF-10.

Wingnut172N
November 26th, 2017, 19:22
Systems & performance wise, let me know what you might need. I am 74 now, but remember much about it - and there is some WEIRD stuff!

For instance, the pneumatic, 3rd level redundant pneumatic flaperette system - emergency use, 22 cycles of left and right stick before the bottle charge was gone. Only in case you lost TWO hydraulic systems! We actually had to practice landings with flaperettes; there was a switch to isolate the flaperon system so only the flaperettes worked.

like most older jets, constant speed drives to run an AC generator were not developed yet, so you had DC powered motors to run AC generators (primary and secondary inverters) By the way, the A-3 "Whale" used engine bleed air to turn air turbine motors to run AC generators. You can see the ATM exhausts on the port side fuselage low and aft of the cockpit (two holes) - pretty obvious when you look for them. All this crap didn't help the weight issues on older and underpowered planes.

Mike,

what was your fleet platform? I’m a current F-18F guy, but love hearing about systems and sea stories from the older aircraft. Grew up wanting to be an A-6 pilot, but missed that jet by about 20 years. Still get the strike mission though!!

Evan

IFlySWA
December 1st, 2017, 07:19
An updated Cougar pic now on Rob's website. :biggrin-new:

Brian

Cees Donker
December 1st, 2017, 10:06
And it looks great!

Cees

mal998
December 1st, 2017, 11:34
Looking good Rob!

PhantomP
December 1st, 2017, 12:50
Awesome work Rob.

Mike71
December 2nd, 2017, 02:26
Evan -

Fleet A-4 and A-6 squadrons, FI duty in VT-24, TPS/NATC, Air Boss CVN-68, OPNAV & NAVSEA. Retired out of DC as an O-6.

harrybasset
December 3rd, 2017, 05:26
Oh dear, just seen a comment from Rob that this is for P3Dv4 as he no longer has FSX.

fallenphoenix1986
December 3rd, 2017, 06:24
Bit out of the loop when it comes to P3D, is there any degree of backwards compatibility or are we snookered for use in FSX?

Cees Donker
December 3rd, 2017, 06:40
Oh dear, just seen a comment from Rob that this is for P3Dv4 as he no longer has FSX.

Ah, that's a bummer!

:pop4:

Cees

WarHorse47
December 3rd, 2017, 07:01
Oh dear, just seen a comment from Rob that this is for P3Dv4 as he no longer has FSX.Aw.. nuts. :banghead:

blanston12
December 3rd, 2017, 07:39
Bit out of the loop when it comes to P3D, is there any degree of backwards compatibility or are we snookered for use in FSX?

As long as the product is FSX Native and does not use any 32 bit .gau or .dll files it should work file.
FS9 'compatible' products are normally hosed.

falcon409
December 3rd, 2017, 08:01
As long as the product is FSX Native and does not use any 32 bit .gau or .dll files it should work file.
FS9 'compatible' products are normally hosed.
True, however if he compiles the airplane with the P3D_V4 SDK (he states it's for P3D_V4), then it won't be backwards compatible to FSX.

WarHorse47
December 3rd, 2017, 08:14
Perhaps this thread needs to be moved to the P3D section??

robcarrich
December 3rd, 2017, 12:37
I really understand how people feel, there are an awful lotof FSX users compared to P3D but in my case I am an absolute junkie for all the latest kit and software.
Only have the P3Dv4 SDK installed on my system these days.
Just have to have the latest and newest, the Lockheed Martin sim gives me that!
I have so many add-ons that I’m running out of the space and the need for two sims.
Sorry if anyone is disappointed, I know P3D is not everyone’scup of tea/coffee.

RobR

lazarus
December 3rd, 2017, 13:26
Bummer, but you gotta do what you want to do. :encouragement:

In the meantime, if you just have to have a Cougar...
It needs a VC- I'd been using my alpha Tiger- it's set up for that- just move over the interior model and textures, though the texture cfg is aliased to the Tiger that may not work for you. It's been scratching my Cougar itch, and I like the old, simple models. I can run lots of boats with no frame hit on my hand carved wooden, coal-fired computatorizer...

fallenphoenix1986
December 3rd, 2017, 15:14
Understandable... that said I'm tempted to start a whip round for another few hard drives if that's what it'll take :encouragement:

Craig

DennyA
December 3rd, 2017, 19:46
The Cougar looks great, Rob! Are you going to do the two-seater? (Which stayed in service a really long time...)

Excited to fly it!

IFlySWA
December 3rd, 2017, 23:14

It needs a VC- I'd been using my alpha Tiger- it's set up for that- just move over the interior model and textures, though the texture cfg is aliased to the Tiger that may not work for you. It's been scratching my Cougar itch, and I like the old, simple models. I can run lots of boats with no frame hit on my hand carved wooden, coal-fired computatorizer...
Thank you very much Lazarus! :biggrin-new:

Brian

gastonj
December 3rd, 2017, 23:26
Thank's Lazarus! However, i was thinking about a merge with the panel of the panther F9F-5 from Vertigo Studio.
JMC

Cees Donker
December 4th, 2017, 01:26
The Cougar Lazarus posted doesn't show in the sim. I can't select the plane?

Cees

TARPSBird
December 4th, 2017, 02:37
The Cougar Lazarus posted doesn't show in the sim. I can't select the plane?
Cees
It's not showing up for me either, Cees. :confusion:

Cees Donker
December 4th, 2017, 02:47
It's not showing up for me either, Cees. :confusion:

Ah Jerry, we always seem to have the same issues.....(brothers in bugs!)

:biggrin-new:

Cees

Mike71
December 4th, 2017, 03:06
The F9F-5 cockpit is far more appropriate than an F-11; much different dimensions and arrangements.

TARPSBird
December 4th, 2017, 03:44
I have David Wooster's FS9 Cougar package working fine in FSX, I think I just copied them over from my FS9 install. Not detailed aircraft but I like 'em. He did a particularly good job on the camera nose of the F9F-8P photo bird. "f9f_cougar.zip" at FlightSim.

robcarrich
December 4th, 2017, 03:45
The Cougar looks great, Rob! Are you going to do the two-seater? (Which stayed in service a really long time...)

Excited to fly it!

The two seat Cougar is a possibility.

RobR

expat
December 4th, 2017, 04:06
Only have the P3Dv4 SDK installed on my system these days.

Same as you Rob, haven't touched FSX since v4 came out this past summer. Doesn't cost more than one or two add ons and does not need as much PC horsepower as many fear. A complete game changer.

Thanks for all your generous creations.

Javis
December 4th, 2017, 07:20
True, however if he compiles the airplane with the P3D_V4 SDK (he states it's for P3D_V4), then it won't be backwards compatible to FSX.

The C-47 VVC is also compiled with the P3Dv4 SDK and works fine in FSX too. Not much difference but looks better in P3Dv4. Like mentioned earlier it's the .gau and .dll files that *could* cause a problem. (all cockpit instruments are 3D but we have a few .dll files working fine with the C-47 model in P3Dv4, a few .gau files as well. Cockpit/Crew sounds wouldn't work in P3Dv4 but a special 'P3Dv4_X64_sound.dll' by Doug Dawson did the trick )

Btw, AFAIK only a native FSX model will work in P3Dv4, a native FS9 model will work (more or less) in FSX but NOT in P3Dv4.

Looking forward to the Cougar, thanks Rob ! :encouragement: A stickler for two seaters i am too. :cool:

Cheers,
Jan

lazarus
December 4th, 2017, 07:56
P3D4 will work fine in 10, just need some gauge work.
Don't want to hijack this- I know the Ito 'cat works- check VC assignments, cfg assignments. I just took that one back in last night, never happy with the material settings, it was giving fits with that. Have to run it through the sim, see how it looks. Wanted shiny, and I have to learn how to produce a bump map. I found the best way to get shine is assign the spec back to the diffuse map at 198/spec and .6 hotspot.
Dave's 'cats are nice, I talked to him ages back for permission to convert, but the landing gear scrambles when converted. :banghead:
More on the -6 shortly. Yeah, the Tiger VC is an approximation, tried the Panther, hated looking outside and seeing straight wing and tiptanks.

Cees Donker
December 4th, 2017, 09:05
P3D4 will work fine in 10, just need some gauge work.
Don't want to hijack this- I know the Ito 'cat works- check VC assignments, cfg assignments. I just took that one back in last night, never happy with the material settings, it was giving fits with that. Have to run it through the sim, see how it looks. Wanted shiny, and I have to learn how to produce a bump map. I found the best way to get shine is assign the spec back to the diffuse map at 198/spec and .6 hotspot.
Dave's 'cats are nice, I talked to him ages back for permission to convert, but the landing gear scrambles when converted. :banghead:
More on the -6 shortly. Yeah, the Tiger VC is an approximation, tried the Panther, hated looking outside and seeing straight wing and tiptanks.
It won't show up in my sim and Tarpsbird has the same problem?

Cees

Bjoern
December 4th, 2017, 09:14
Rob:
Is there any difference regarding models for FSX and P3D? (In terms of materials, animations, etc...?)
If not, you can still run them through the P3Dv1 XToMDL and produce FSX compliant model files.

robcarrich
December 4th, 2017, 09:57
Rob:
Is there any difference regarding models for FSX and P3D? (In terms of materials, animations, etc...?)
If not, you can still run them through the P3Dv1 XToMDL and produce FSX compliant model files.

I agree this is all possible, the variations are numerous.
I finished a model of the Fairey Barracuda recently having started in P3D but changing over to FSX halfway through the process, ending up with something I just wasn't happy with.
Having gone from FSDS to Blender I still have so much to learn about this modelling program and also all the new possibilities of the LM sim, I just want to stay right up to date.
I'm retired and getting on in years and need these modern challenges to stop my brain from addling.
I really have made my mind up that P3Dv4 is the way forward.

RobR

Bjoern
December 5th, 2017, 05:48
Well, you can still go open source and have others have a stab at converting the aircraft for their favourite sim. No additional work for you, happy users of sim xyz.

IFlySWA
December 20th, 2017, 10:54
Take a look at Rob's website now. It looks like there still might be hope for a FSX F9F.:jump: Thank you for considering a FSX version of your Cougar, Rob! :biggrin-new:

Brian

Cees Donker
December 20th, 2017, 11:58
A new hope!

:biggrin-new:

Cees

Josh Patterson
December 20th, 2017, 12:57
The Cougar will be awesome! Lots of colorful schemes for it (in blue or grey/white). Also all the high viz stuff! The Barracuda came out of left field (at least to me) so I wasn't anticipating it, but this.... It's hard waiting!

fallenphoenix1986
December 20th, 2017, 14:20
Some new screenies up along with the following message:

"Lots of requests for a version in FSX- it may come about"

If you can find the time then thank you Santa... errr I mean Rob :santahat:

Craig

robcarrich
December 20th, 2017, 14:30
In this, the season of goodwill to all I decided to re-install FSX and the acceleration SDK thereby making the Cougar FSX compatible.
Ran into the acceleration activation problem but after a bit of Googling got over that!
I enjoy a challenge.

RobR

PhantomP
December 20th, 2017, 14:44
Thank you Rob,you made my year,really looking foward to the FSX Cougar.:encouragement:

IFlySWA
December 20th, 2017, 15:14
In this, the season of goodwill to all I decided to re-install FSX and the acceleration SDK thereby making the Cougar FSX compatible.
Ran into the acceleration activation problem but after a bit of Googling got over that!
I enjoy a challenge.

RobR

"A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one!" :biggrin-new:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4595/38477379114_e559640e08_b.jpg

Brian

robcarrich
December 21st, 2017, 00:03
Dont want to get Tiny Tim too excited, it wont be ready for Christmas!
Bah humbug!

RobR

IFlySWA
December 21st, 2017, 04:20
Dont want to get Tiny Tim too excited, it wont be ready for Christmas!
Bah humbug!

RobR

:biggrin-new: He can wait.

Brian

Steven190
December 21st, 2017, 04:28
That is exciting news Rob, I am now really looking forward to a FSX Cougar.

Good luck and have a good Holiday

Willy
December 21st, 2017, 05:08
Thanks Rob! You've made an old fleet sailor smile.

I'll make room in the hanger bay for it among the Fords and Stoofs.

IFlySWA
December 21st, 2017, 19:41
A new P3D pic now showing on Rob's website. Beautiful! :encouragement:

Brian

IFlySWA
January 12th, 2018, 09:07
More updated pics on Rob's website. :encouragement:

Brian

Cees Donker
January 12th, 2018, 11:22
That is looking so good!

Cees

gastonj
January 21st, 2018, 01:54

Hi,

The attachment is not avalaible, what happened? How can i get it?

JMC

lazarus
January 22nd, 2018, 09:39
I moved it to a dedicated thread so we din't hijack Rob's Cougar thread with irrelevances.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/108437-F9F-6-Cougar-for-FSX-not-Robs-though?highlight=cougar

Note: No vc, so you'll have to decide which way to go on that, there are a couple of options. I'd been using the alpha Tiger VC,there are directions to use the freeware alpha Swift- both have similar windscreens and canopy's (from the inside), single engines ect.

gastonj
January 23rd, 2018, 01:25
Hi,
Thank's!
JMC

IFlySWA
January 24th, 2018, 08:38
Some lovely updated pics now on Rob's website. :encouragement:

Brian

Cees Donker
January 27th, 2018, 03:17
That's a plane that will get lots of sticktime here!

:jump:

Cees

Josh Patterson
January 27th, 2018, 05:20
I like that we get both grey/white and glossy sea blue. I'm a fan of the blue myself but after it went away the grey over white planes (not just Cougars) wore the most colorful schemes! (And it wasn't just limited to CAG birds, they were ALL painted that way!) Kinda like the natural metal USAF jets of the 50's. Lotsa color! I was just at the site and the home page didn't list the Cougar as "WIP" anymore but it's not on the downloads page. Maybe it's close to release!

robcarrich
January 27th, 2018, 06:03
I like that we get both grey/white and glossy sea blue. I'm a fan of the blue myself but after it went away the grey over white planes (not just Cougars) wore the most colorful schemes! (And it wasn't just limited to CAG birds, they were ALL painted that way!) Kinda like the natural metal USAF jets of the 50's. Lotsa color! I was just at the site and the home page didn't list the Cougar as "WIP" anymore but it's not on the downloads page. Maybe it's close to release!

This coming week if all goes well!

RobR

b52bob
January 27th, 2018, 06:13
Wow, looking forward to this release. It’ll be a keeper for sure. Thanks for your dedication and hard work for our hobby.
Bob

IFlySWA
January 27th, 2018, 09:42
Woo hoo! Can't wait. :jump:

Brian

Josh Patterson
January 27th, 2018, 10:57
This coming week if all goes well!

RobR
:costumed-smiley-071I'm ready! Does you site have a donation function?

ian elliot
January 28th, 2018, 13:06
:costumed-smiley-071I'm ready! Does you site have a donation function?

good idea, Robs Vampire's and Meteor NF's where the main reason i changed over from FS9 TO FSX, i'd happily show my appreciation :adoration:

cheers ian

PS need to find me some good retro NAS, stock up the galleys and check the runways for FOD :biggrin-new:

Josh Patterson
January 29th, 2018, 13:13
this coming week if all goes well!

Robr
awesomesauce!

fallenphoenix1986
January 29th, 2018, 13:37
Just bought a very much second hand Thrustmaster Cougar on eBay - might as well christen the two Cougars together. Going by Rob's site it wont be long now :jump:

Josh Patterson
January 30th, 2018, 06:10
good idea, Robs Vampire's and Meteor NF's where the main reason i changed over from FS9 TO FSX, i'd happily show my appreciation :adoration:

cheers ian

PS need to find me some good retro NAS, stock up the galleys and check the runways for FOD :biggrin-new:
Nice avatar Ian! The VC-10's tail is very organic looking from that vantage point, like a whales flukes!

Lee Mumbower
January 31st, 2018, 03:12
F9F Cougar , It's ready!! Lee

MrZippy
January 31st, 2018, 03:30
F9F Cougar , It's ready!! Lee

Thanks for the tip! Have been watching the page for the last couple of days. Got it and thanks to Rob Richardson for this lovely beastie:applause: :encouragement:

Oh, well, it was worth the try! Won't work without Accel. Was able to fly the F-106 a few times about 2 years ago. I do know the Homepage says Acceleration only but sometimes it works.

Steven190
January 31st, 2018, 04:29
Thanks Rob
I have it and will be flying the Cougar tonight

Josh Patterson
January 31st, 2018, 05:22
I went there this morning and it wasn't in the Jet Downloads section. All I saw was the AI aircraft and paint kit downloads on the main page. Is the AI also a flyable aircraft in this release? (This was about two hours ago and I'm at work now so if there was a problem and it got fixed I can't see it.)

falcon409
January 31st, 2018, 05:27
I went there this morning and it wasn't in the Jet Downloads section. All I saw was the AI aircraft and paint kit downloads on the main page. Is the AI also a flyable aircraft in this release? (This was about two hours ago and I'm at work now so if there was a problem and it got fixed I can't see it.)
A bit odd I suppose, but you have to click the image below the first pic of the Cougar. Let your cursor move over the image and you'll see. Just click and the download will start.

MrZippy
January 31st, 2018, 05:40
A bit odd I suppose, but you have to click the image below the first pic of the Cougar. Let your cursor move over the image and you'll see. Just click and the download will start.

+1 The picture on the Home Page where it says click and agree/download. Hiding in plane site.

511Flyer
January 31st, 2018, 05:56
On his birthday, which is today, Rob gives us a present.

Den.

WarHorse47
January 31st, 2018, 06:03
Beautifully done. Thanks, Rob. And Happy Birthday to you as well. :victorious:

Josh Patterson
January 31st, 2018, 06:07

You mean the picture of the VC with the extremely blatant instructions for the visibility conditions of the stores? (You know, for those who don't like to read the manual.) Thanks for the tip Falcon. I was hovering over pictures looking for a click spot but must have missed it as I really should have been walking out the door for work! I'll try it when I get home!

Josh Patterson
January 31st, 2018, 06:10
Happy birthday rob!!!

falcon409
January 31st, 2018, 06:40
You mean the picture of the VC with the extremely blatant instructions for the visibility conditions of the stores? (You know, for those who don't like to read the manual.) . . . . . .I'll try it when I get home!
Yep, that would be the one!

semo
January 31st, 2018, 07:09
Thanks you Rob And Happy Birthday!

Josh Patterson
January 31st, 2018, 07:19
i'm much the same actually, would love a TF-9 but I'll takes what I can gets.

Mike, I've heard that a lot actually, something along the lines of it only taking off on a hot day because the surface of the Earth was curved, much the same as the F-84 and the Jaguar. Regarding the Hook, if I'm not mistaken the Panther was the same and Vertigo actually managed to model this, only way to re-stow the hook was to reload the aircraft.
There is a small button to the lower left of the hook handle in VS's Panther. That will retract the hook when the lever is placed in the up position.

IFlySWA
January 31st, 2018, 07:50
Thank you sooo much for this wonderful aircraft, Rob!! :applause::applause: And a very happy birthday to you, sir. :wavey:

Brian

Roger
January 31st, 2018, 07:53
Someone please start a release thread and we'll stickie it!

PhantomP
January 31st, 2018, 07:58
Happy Birthday Rob,and thanks for this amazing gift.:very_drunk:

spokes2112
January 31st, 2018, 08:21
Rob,

Thank You so very much!!! She's a beauty!
Happy Birthday!!!!

Roman

Mike71
January 31st, 2018, 09:15
From someone who has quite a bit of time in the Cougar, I have to say this is a remarkable piece of work, and much of the detail of this technological dinosaur is craftily represented.

A couple of quick points, in no way criticizing this marvelous model -

1. The speedbrake system is very accurate - forward and aft (flap trailing edge) sections work properly. However, when the flaps were lowered, the fuselage set retracted flush and the aft set faired to become part of the flap section to become one singe unit.

2. The hook was dropped by pulling on the "U" shaped handle (actually took three pulls!). The "stinger button" below the hook handle raised the hook to the horizontal position by the hydraulic snubber under the tailpipe, which also acted as a tailskid (lowered and retracted with the gear), and is accurately modeled by Bob. The stinger position still had the hook point sticking a tailhook length back from the tailpipe but horizontal, and had to be pushed forward into the fully retracted position by a flight deck crew.

3. The two sets of aux air doors on the top of the fuselage served a plenum chamber for the dual faced centrifugal compressor disk of the J-48. These doors were spring loaded and modulated to gradually open in proportion to airflow demand when insufficient flow to the compressor was caused by high power settings and/or low airspeeds.

4. With the flaps down, the horizontal tail was conventional, where the elevator moved and the basic tailplane neutral position was set with elevator trim. When the flaps retracted, the whole tailplane become one "flying tail" unit.

This in no way a criticism, just some technical insight into an airplane that had many strange design features, not the least of which was that it was a typical Grumman tank as far as sturdiness was concerned

harrybasset
January 31st, 2018, 09:26
Happy Birthday Rob. It's very generous of you to give all of us this wonderful gift on your birthday. Thank you!

Roger
January 31st, 2018, 10:07
Please use the stickied release thread for further posts.