PDA

View Full Version : Milviz DHC-3 Otter released

Wim
November 23rd, 2017, 21:41
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55878&stc=1The DHC-3 Otter by Milviz is released:running:

Trying it out now.

jeansy
November 23rd, 2017, 22:54
The DHC-3 Otter by Milviz is released:running:

Trying it out now.

link to product> http://milviz.com/flight/products/DHC3/index.php

Penzoil3
November 23rd, 2017, 23:50
Notice this ?

"Important: Please note that all of the current default analog and digital avionic equipment installed in our general aviation aircraft and helicopters is based on underlying simulator code and as such, is subject to various deficiencies that cause operation of these units to vary from their real world counterparts. This is not able to be addressed by our team. This includes the GNS 530 / 430 units, audio panel, transponder, ADF unit, and nav/com radios. Due to the inherent limitations present in the simulator, we are therefore unable to provide fixes or support for any issues related to the operation or functionality of these items at this time."

YoYo
November 24th, 2017, 00:05
Notice this ?

"Important: Please note that all of the current default analog and digital avionic equipment installed in our general aviation aircraft and helicopters is based on underlying simulator code and as such, is subject to various deficiencies that cause operation of these units to vary from their real world counterparts. This is not able to be addressed by our team. This includes the GNS 530 / 430 units, audio panel, transponder, ADF unit, and nav/com radios. Due to the inherent limitations present in the simulator, we are therefore unable to provide fixes or support for any issues related to the operation or functionality of these items at this time."

Nothing special, GNS 530 / 430 like default FSX/P3D hasnt all real functions. Notice too that GTN of Flight1 hasnt all functions like real 750/650 also (but for sure, they are more advanced that "deafault" avionics).

bbrz
November 24th, 2017, 04:47
Nothing special, GNS 530 / 430 like default FSX/P3D hasnt all real functions. Notice too that GTN of Flight1 hasnt all functions like real 750/650 also (but for sure, they are more advanced that "deafault" avionics).
And what about e.g. the ADF and/or NAV/COM radios?

jeansy
November 24th, 2017, 06:39
The 'King Beaver' By 1950, the success of the DHC-2 Beaver was well established. In the chase of larger markets, however, it became apparent that there were certain potential customers that loved the idea of the Beaver - the STOL capabilities, the dependable performance, the utility-friendly design - but simply needed something bigger than what the Beaver could offer. And so the extremely gifted engineering team at Downsview rolled up their sleeves and got to work.
The initial design was referred to as the 'King Beaver'. The key characteristics of the Beaver were retained: The high lift wings, the side door loading, the belly location of the fuel tanks. Although the load capacity didn't quite reach double the Beaver as originally intended, it did come close, with a 3500+ lb useful load capacity versus 2100 lbs on the smaller Beaver. Of course, the bigger aircraft with a larger load to haul needed a larger powerplant, and a geared version of the R-1340 Wasp radial engine was selected.
The end result was a qualified success, with the aircraft carrying on the tradition of being named after Canadian wildlife and being renamed to the 'Otter'. Finding it's own niche in the world of aviation, 466 Otters were manufactured from 1952 until production was wound down in 1967. By that time, Otters had travelled the air above every continent, finding service with numerous military forces, bush operators, governments, and civilian airlines.
Our simulation of the renowned Otter is designed to deliver a realistic and immersive experience, allowing everyone to enjoy the characteristics that brought the real Otter a popularity that continues to this day.
Land Anywhere, Haul Everything The workhorse capabilities of the DHC-3 Otter are able to be put to the test. Four separate configurations have been included for landing gear: Standard wheels, amphibious floats, skis, tundra tires; each model complete with tuned flight dynamics that accurately reflects differences in performance and handling.
The interior can be outfitted for nearly any adventure you'd like, with separate passenger and passenger/cargo combinations. Individual passenger and cargo locations can be loaded/unloaded in the simulator, allowing for the visual emulation of flying to a destination and back again.
Meticulously Detailed The MilViz DHC-3 Otter features an intricately modeled, true-to-life interior and exterior, with an abundance of fine detail. All gauges, switches and controls feature smooth animation. Custom lighting makes night operations atmospheric and immersive, while high resolution textures with lifelike metal effects and realistic weathering create a simulation like no other.
Accurate & In-Depth Building on our experience with replicating the DHC-2 Beaver, the MilViz DHC-3 Otter offers a comparable level of systems depth and functionality. Our goal is to create an immersive, true-to-life experience for any simulator pilot, regardless of experience. Choose to fly the Otter by the book, or simply jump in and fly, your choice!
Our Otter goes far beyond the default simulator functionality in order to provide an accurate, realistic recreation of key characteristics and systems functionality. The fuel system is closely emulated; starting the engine requires fuel pressure to be built up in the lines as well as proper priming, and also takes into account battery voltage and engine temperature. The electrical system is closely simulated, with operable circuit breakers present for key systems. The operation of the flaps, operated much like the Beaver with a selector valve and a hand pump, behaves realistically. And a powered tailwheel system has been custom created for this aircraft with a three way toggle switch that allows switching between powered, free castoring and locked.
The dangerous effects of icing is also simulated, with serious consequences for disregarding potentially dangerous flight conditions. Ice accumulation can be hazardous to the Otter, leading to airspeed loss and a stall; freezing rain can disrupt static instruments and cause incorrect readings.
And at the very core of this simulation is a carefully tuned flight model that seeks to impart the unique flight qualities of this STOL-capable workhorse, created by an author with DHC-3 experience.
Highly Detailed KAP 140 Autopilot The DHC-3 Otter includes our custom coded, very accurate simulation of the venerable KAP 140 autopilot. Faithful to the original, from the font used to the replication of servo drives on the trim wheels and the yoke. The logic used in the KAP 140 has been carefully replicated to deliver one of the most realistic autopilot simulations available. A separate manual for the autopilot has been included.
http://milviz.com/flight/products/DHC3/KAP140.jpg Multi-Platform Support The MilViz DHC-3 Otter package supports a full range of platforms, in a single downloadable installer:

FSX: Acceleration
FSX: Steam Edition
Prepar3d v2
Prepar3d v3
Prepar3d v4

Navigate Your Way Depending on the era and role you're simulating, we've allowed for an extremely wide variety of options for avionics and third party GPS units. With this package, an extensive amount of compatibility for popular third party gauges and avionics is available. Built-in configuration support from within our MVAMS application is included for the following:

Flight1 GTN 650 (Single)
Flight1 GTN 750 (Single)
Flight1 GTN 650 & 750 (Combo)
Reality XP GNS 430/530W XP (Combo)
Mindstar GNS 430/530 (Combo)
MilViz GNS 430/530 (Combo)
Or, standard radios only!

Please note that compatibility for the above 3rd party gauges (such as from Flight1, RealityXP, Mindstar) includes support for installation and setup of our product only; use of any of the offered options requires a functional existing installation of the appropriate gauge.
Use of any 3rd party avionics package in any desired simulator is also of course restricted to the availability of the avionics package for that simulator. Please see the respective manufacturers websites regarding platform compatibility for your avionics package.
Included WX Advantage Weather Radar The MilViz DHC-3 Otter package also includes a copy of the innovative MilViz / REX WX Advantage weather radar. The presence of this weather radar unit in the panel is completely optional - you can fly with or without it! (Please note: The included WX Advantage will only function in the DHC-3.)
Important: Please note that all of the current default analog and digital avionic equipment installed in our general aviation aircraft and helicopters is based on underlying simulator code and as such, is subject to various deficiencies that cause operation of these units to vary from their real world counterparts. This is not able to be addressed by our team. This includes the GNS 530 / 430 units, audio panel, transponder, ADF unit, and nav/com radios. Due to the inherent limitations present in the simulator, we are therefore unable to provide fixes or support for any issues related to the operation or functionality of these items at this time.

System Requirements (Minimum): Operating System:
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 10
Use of this product in any other version of Windows is not supported at this time.
Processor:
2.6 Ghz or higher
Memory:
4 GB RAM
Graphics:
DirectX®11 compliant video card
1024 MB video RAM or higher
Hard Drive Space:
3 GB available space
Supported Platforms:
FSX Acceleration
FSX:Steam Edition
Prepar3d Version 2 (Latest release, with all hotfixes)
Prepar3d Version 3 (Latest release, with all hotfixes)
Prepar3d Version 4
P3Dv4 Compatibility Status: Version 4.1
Current Product Version: 171123
Use or installation of the products(s) referenced on this page in any other platform than that intended or shown above is not supported and may result in errors or a non-functioning product.
Important:
All MilViz products require a functioning gaming controller such as a joystick for proper operation.

Special DHC-3 Features:
Professionally created & tuned, high fidelity flight model including accurate characteristics specific to the DHC-3.
Four Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Amphibious Floats, Skis, Tundra Tires, with individually tuned flight models.
Multiple loadout configurations, with passengers and cargo. Selectable cargo includes a externally mounted canoe!
Custom fuel system with primer pump; engine start takes into account current engine temperature and includes potential for over-priming & flooding.
Custom electrical system with display of electrical load and operable circuit breakers.
Custom over-boosting cumulative damage simulation.
Custom engine detonation effects with multiple causes.
Unique flap operation which simulates the usage of the manually operated hydraulic pump and selector on the DHC-3.
Realistic locked / powered / free-castoring tailwheel simulation
Icing effects on airframe and static instruments fully simulated.
Accurately simulated KAP 140 autopilot.

Richly detailed cabin with beautiful high resolution textures and smoothly animated gauges.
Realistic and fully adjustable cabin and instrument lighting.
Authentic sound environment, inside and out.
Milviz / REX WX Advantage Weather Radar included and available as a 3D panel option.
Ability to completely hide yoke and column for ease of access to important switches and controls.
Highly configurable avionics with 3D panel installations for many GPS solutions, covering popular 3rd party add-ons such as Flight1 GTN, RealityXP GNS, and Mindstar GNS.
Professionally created liveries based on or inspired by real world aircraft.
Available layer-based paintkit for creating your own liveries.
Detailed & educational flight manual & detailed autopilot manual.
Prepar3d V4 compatible!

blanston12
November 24th, 2017, 07:10
Here is a situation where we actually have a choice, we have modern reproductions of the otter from both JF/AH and Milviz, I am interested in seeing how they compare from the pilots here.

For me I am sitting on the fence for now. I already have the Milviz Beaver which I like flying. I tried the free demo from JF which is full featured but limited to 15 minutes or 1500 feet, which compared to the DHC-2 I found sluggish to fly and basically not as much fun. Now if I needed an AC with the longer range of the DHC-3 for say a flight around the world my temptation would be greater but I am interested in hearing peoples reviews and comparisons.

henrystreet
November 24th, 2017, 07:25
...which compared to the DHC-2 I found sluggish to fly and basically not as much fun.

I suspect this is also true of the real world planes based on their relative engine and weight numbers.

Cees Donker
November 24th, 2017, 07:55
The KAP 140 is a bit quirky. Anyone else having trouble getting it to work?

:dizzy:

Cees

blanston12
November 24th, 2017, 08:41
I suspect this is also true of the real world planes based on their relative engine and weight numbers.

Yes and I have read that is the experience actual pilots, compared to the beaver it was like flying a truck.

dvj
November 24th, 2017, 09:00
Here is a situation where we actually have a choice, we have modern reproductions of the otter from both JF/AH and Milviz, I am interested in seeing how they compare from the pilots here.

For me I am sitting on the fence for now. I already have the Milviz Beaver which I like flying. I tried the free demo from JF which is full featured but limited to 15 minutes or 1500 feet, which compared to the DHC-2 I found sluggish to fly and basically not as much fun. Now if I needed an AC with the longer range of the DHC-3 for say a flight around the world my temptation would be greater but I am interested in hearing peoples reviews and comparisons.

I purchased the JF Otter when it was released. At the time, I had totally forgotten that MV was also working on one and would have waited. As nice as the MV looks, I am not going to run out and spend more money on the Otter. -d

alehead
November 24th, 2017, 09:08
The description mentions an amphibious version, though what I see is the floatplane, no wheels on it, so not amphibious... okay, I could be pedantic now and contradict myaself that you can land a floatplane on grass if necessary...

I for one prefer the wheeled and floatplane separate variants. Means I don't have to remember to pull up the wheels before landing on water...

You say it flies like a truck, well, it looks like one :)

This time of year, with all the sales on, it is quite a strain!

A

ezunino
November 24th, 2017, 09:08
Installed in P3dv4.1. The thrust lever don't work (mapped with FSUIPC)...and yes, the AP is very quirky.
Eduardo

n4gix
November 24th, 2017, 09:22
The KAP 140 is a bit quirky. Anyone else having trouble getting it to work?

:dizzy:

Cees
That would be because "we" have all become accustomed to the simplified KAP140 units usually provided, as well as the totally unrealistic default autopilots that come with the sim.

There is a reason why there's a comprehensive separate manual for the custom KAP140 after all... :biggrin-new:

Hint: press and hold the AP button until the display lights up, then set the barometric pressure if necessary and then confirm by clicking on the BARO button.

Javis
November 24th, 2017, 09:48
http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Milotto.jpg

Cees Donker
November 24th, 2017, 10:39
That would be because "we" have all become accustomed to the simplified KAP140 units usually provided, as well as the totally unrealistic default autopilots that come with the sim.

There is a reason why there's a comprehensive separate manual for the custom KAP140 after all... :biggrin-new:

Hint: press and hold the AP button until the display lights up, then set the barometric pressure if necessary and then confirm by clicking on the BARO button.

Thank you n4gix!

:encouragement:

Cees

joe bob
November 24th, 2017, 11:25
Any body see where the Max power. Max continuous power, ect is?

JimmyRFR
November 24th, 2017, 12:17
The description mentions an amphibious version, though what I see is the floatplane, no wheels on it, so not amphibious... okay, I could be pedantic now and contradict myaself that you can land a floatplane on grass if necessary...

I for one prefer the wheeled and floatplane separate variants. Means I don't have to remember to pull up the wheels before landing on water...

You say it flies like a truck, well, it looks like one :)

This time of year, with all the sales on, it is quite a strain!

A

This confused me, until I realized that I had made an error on the product page... It should (and now does) read: "Four Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Floats, Amphibious Floats, Skis, each with individually tuned flight models."

Thanks!

JimmyRFR
November 24th, 2017, 12:27
Any body see where the Max power. Max continuous power, ect is?

Indicated in the manual on page 80: Max Continuous Manifold Pressure = 33.5 in Hg, Max Continuous RPM = 2200 rpm. Max for 1 minute duration is 36 in Hg & 2250 rpm.

Firewalling it might also be entertaining.... just saying!

(Edited to fix typo!)

kcgb
November 24th, 2017, 12:30
Installed in P3dv4.1. The thrust lever don't work (mapped with FSUIPC)...and yes, the AP is very quirky.
Eduardo

Works fine for me mapped with fsuipc

joe bob
November 24th, 2017, 12:45
Indicated in the manual on page 80: Max Continuous Manifold Pressure = 33.5 in Hg, Max Continuous RPM = 2200 rpm. Max for 1 minute duration is 33.5 in Hg & 2250 rpm.

Firewalling it might also be entertaining.... just saying!

Thank you, I am obsessed with such numbers.
ps I believe you meant max it is 36" Manifold pressure

Timmy74
November 24th, 2017, 13:11
I am getting quite a frame rate hit with this aircraft. Is anyone else getting this issue?

I have tried several different airports and sea bases -same scenario-with different manufactures ie; Carenado, Aerosoft, and my frame rate drops from high twenties down to 5-10fps...!?

Or could it be something else in the sim that I may not be aware of folks....?

Any input would be great to hear for I have chomping at the bit for this aircraft and hope its not full of frame rate gremlins?

Cheers,
Tim.

joe bob
November 24th, 2017, 13:17
I have not noticed any so far.

Cees Donker
November 24th, 2017, 13:33
Tim,
I have a very average computer and it works fine. No framerate hit here.

Cees

Timmy74
November 24th, 2017, 14:10
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I have no idea what is going on here!!?

heywooood
November 24th, 2017, 17:58
I'm just going sit here on the fence too until this is sorted out. I hate to waste money on a model that eats FPS when there are plenty of very good ones that don't...no matter how 'awesome' it is

thefrog
November 24th, 2017, 18:02
No problem with fps here and my system is quite dated now

ceo1944
November 24th, 2017, 19:42
I can understand caution and I'm not arguing with those that choose to exercise it, but in this case, if anyone really wants this Otter now - I can see no good reason to hold back.

Only one person is reporting any problem with frame rates, while several with older systems have reported no noticeable hit at all. This means that the airplane is exceptionally good at frame rates, if older systems run it fine - there is nothing built into it that will hit your system hard. There may be some quirk that a few people come across, and one of those people could be you, although the odds are greatly against that.

If there's some bottleneck, Milviz will fix that in the first service pack. And if worst comes to worst, you could get a refund, but in reality, that's so unlikely it's no reason to deny yourself an airplane you want now, because that's always true.

If you're just on the fence about wanting it, that's another thing, and I'd hold back until I was sure before I spent the money for sure!

But I wouldn't worry too much about frame rates unless lots of people are saying they are dicey - any airplane can have a weird problem with any system at any time. Everyone could be raving about the fantastic frame rates and you could get smacked. That's life.

Just my opinion on this, your bucks are certainly yours.

Dutch

PS. I had no role in the development of the Milviz Otter.

YoYo
November 24th, 2017, 22:40
I'm just going sit here on the fence too until this is sorted out. I hate to waste money on a model that eats FPS when there are plenty of very good ones that don't...no matter how 'awesome' it is

It isnt true, no ANY fps hit. The quality of this is near the same like default aircraft. If someone has a problem its a his hardware or...the scenery. :wavey:

alehead
November 25th, 2017, 01:41
This confused me, until I realized that I had made an error on the product page... It should (and now does) read: "Four Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Floats, Amphibious Floats, Skis, each with individually tuned flight models."

Thanks!

You're welcome! This is definitely my kind of aircraft, I already have the Beaver... sorry if I confused you... :)

A

BendyFlyer
November 25th, 2017, 01:56
Well, I think it is a fine product. So I would like to say that is a job well done to all those at Milviz who produced this one. Really spoilt now for de Havilland STOL aeroplanes with the Beaver and the Otter.

It worked as advertised and no immediate bugs that I can see. I have a low end system and it coped quite well with this aircraft and model now and then it takes a few secs to catch up with texture reloads but that is my system not the model and nothing that causes me any concern. I have had all the various renditions of the Otter over the years and tweaked a few to try and make them realistic, well this one requires no tweaks as far as I am concerned and behaved exactly as I would expect a large single engine STOL aeroplane to work. Stable in all facets of flight. I like the textures and it is very faithful to an aircraft of its time and period. I also think they did a good job on the sound and you get that low end rumble characteristic of this type of engine.

henrystreet
November 25th, 2017, 03:05
I also think they did a good job on the sound and you get that low end rumble characteristic of this type of engine.
Wow, yes the sounds are exceptional. Really surprised me how good they were.

Javis
November 25th, 2017, 10:00
I have had all the various renditions of the Otter over the years..

Which exactly may have been that, BF ?....

To my knowledge, and other than its older Beaver cousin, there has been only *one* rendition of the DHC-3 Otter radial engine version for FSX. Developed by Virtual Col and, pardon me for saying so, not exactly in the quality a long overlooked venerable workhorse like the Otter deserves. The only (very) decent DHC-3 Otter rendition for FS9 was a freeware model produced by Eugene Heyart. But it depicted the 1000 hp PZL engine version and a turbo Otter was also released. Before that, i.e. FS95/98, FS2K, FS2K2 we had the wonderful true DHC-3 radial renditions done by Fred Banting and Steven Grant to our disposal. It was because of these superb creations that i became a real Otter fan ( i have never even seen or heared a real DHC-3... )

As far as payware is concerned, apart from Virtual Col i actually can't think of any commercial developer ever releasing a DHC-3 Otter package for any MSFS version. We had to wait for Oktober this year for that to happen !

Finally, it's been a very good year for the Otter conglomeration ! ( and i'm not talking about the fact that yourstruly was working on a DHC-3 Otter himself, now resting in peace in the Max dungeons, obviously.. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/104014-New-planes-and-repaints-wishlist-for-FSX?p=1062494&viewfull=1#post1062494 )

I also think they did a good job on the sound and you get that low end rumble characteristic of this type of engine.

Personally i think that's an understatement, FB. I believe it is one of the best radial engine soundsuites ever ! :applause:

Cheers,
Jan

THibben
November 25th, 2017, 10:10
I have one problem with my installation. My control hardware is all Precision Flight Controls. I have the control console, rudder pedals and 737 yoke. The problem I have is with the visual throttle quadrant. The throttle doesn't move when I move it on the PFC quadrant. The engine accelerates as it should but the throttle visually stays fixed. Both the mixture and the RPM work fine.

This have never happened on any other aircraft I have checked using both the PFC and USB settings.

Tom

henrystreet
November 25th, 2017, 10:59
I have one problem with my installation. My control hardware is all Precision Flight Controls. I have the control console, rudder pedals and 737 yoke. The problem I have is with the visual throttle quadrant. The throttle doesn't move when I move it on the PFC quadrant. The engine accelerates as it should but the throttle visually stays fixed. Both the mixture and the RPM work fine.

This have never happened on any other aircraft I have checked using both the PFC and USB settings.

Tom

Tom,

With the Otter, what I am seeing is, the throttle lever on my HOTAS must be mapped to "THROTTLE" axis, not "THROTTLE1" axis for the VC lever to work. Same with pitch lever, "PROPPITCH" not "PROPITCH1". I use FSUIPC and have confirmed this behavior.

Hope this helps.

THibben
November 25th, 2017, 15:28
Tom,

With the Otter, what I am seeing is, the throttle lever on my HOTAS must be mapped to "THROTTLE" axis, not "THROTTLE1" axis for the VC lever to work. Same with pitch lever, "PROPPITCH" not "PROPITCH1". I use FSUIPC and have confirmed this behavior.

Hope this helps.

Hi Henry,

I checked my settings and I have "throttle" selected but for what ever reason it does not show it moving. It works and the RPM changes etc. but no visual movement.

On another subject. The manual shows a walk around exterior inspection. Do you know how to get into that?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

henrystreet
November 25th, 2017, 16:54
Hi Henry,

I checked my settings and I have "throttle" selected but for what ever reason it does not show it moving. It works and the RPM changes etc. but no visual movement.

On another subject. The manual shows a walk around exterior inspection. Do you know how to get into that?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

A poster over at AVSIM had the same behavior with the VC power lever. He created an FSUIPC profile and assigned "THROTTLE" to get the lever to visually move. In my setup, I do have a profile so that is probably why mine is moving as expected.

Regards the exterior inspection, all I am seeing is a diagram in the POH...no mention of pre-defined views or procedures in the sim.

THibben
November 25th, 2017, 18:17
A poster over at AVSIM had the same behavior with the VC power lever. He created an FSUIPC profile and assigned "THROTTLE" to get the lever to visually move. In my setup, I do have a profile so that is probably why mine is moving as expected.

Regards the exterior inspection, all I am seeing is a diagram in the POH...no mention of pre-defined views or procedures in the sim.

Okay, Thanks. I am not sure what a profile is but I will look into it.

Tom

BendyFlyer
November 25th, 2017, 21:05
[QUOTE=Javis;1113671]Which exactly may have been that, BF ?.... I became a real Otter fan ( i have never even seen or heard a real DHC-3... )[QUOTE]

Jan um well I cannot say every Otter ever made for flight sim, though there was as FS9 version that I ported across into FSX but it was hopeless. AS for FSX there was the Virtual Col version which a search of the Library here shows I spent a great deal of time attempting to get it to behave like a real Otter should or would, close but lots of issues with textures etc but that said it was not that bad. Then came the AH/JF version - Lots of eye candy but the air. file and probably the mdl. files are a problem as there is build in issues with excessive acceleration in flight, overspeed and somehow mach buffet when you get to 125 kts and it is a frames/fps hog despite having many many nice points it was not as far as I am concerned authentic. I have seen and heard real Otters and have personally flown the Beaver in the RW. I have also spent many thousand of hours in noisy box fuselage STOL aeroplanes at about 105 knots, they are all good climbers (not fast but great angle and ROC intially to get you out of tight spot with ease, with steep nose down attitude on approach with full flap and marvellous low speed control right to the stall. Could not achieve this with the VirtualCol or the AH versions. So I tested this one, set up power and attitude for a 65 knot approach and it held it flawlessly all the way down from 3000ft to touchdown exactly as I would expect it to do. For that alone it gets a big tick. Likewise 105 knots is an ambitious cruise speed but near enough.

Some have said the Otter is like a truck, well maybe no it is just a classic STOL aeroplane, they are all like this very stable, slow and compared to even a Cessna, they have quite pedestrian performance and that's the charm of STOL aeroplanes and STOL flying, that is what they were built to do, big loads short fields. The Otter is a very large aeroplane next to a Beaver with nearly twice the volumetric and weight carrying capacity but with a big box fuselage and a fat STOL wing profile. On top of that it has built in drag from struts wheels and or floats not to mention its general shape. If you ever get the chance to see one you will be impressed how big these are, especially if they are on floats. Of course its successor with 2 PT6's is charming and also great fun but that has been done well already.

Then of course last but now there is the current MILVIZ rendition and it is in my humble opinion an authentic rendition and a lot of time and trouble went into the texturing etc which is superb. So that's my salad bar of Otters. I find them to be an aeroplane that grows on you, they are ruggedly styled but you want to have fun and use them as they were used, try flying them to their STOL parameters into tight strips with big loads, mountain side sloping runways. The only thing I can say is that finally, along with the Beaver, we have STOL aeroplanes that fly and perform like STOL aeroplanes, proper STOL flight has been sadly neglected in the real world and the sim world because it is a specialty operating environment but it teaches you precise speed/attitude control power/performance control, my kind of flying (that and radial engined aeroplanes in general) and now I can really explore this side of the simulation environment properly.

Point taken about the sound it is very very good. I can almost feel that engine rumbling along.

Well I am now a very happy camper, the MILVIZ Beaver and Otter, Milton Schupes Dash 7 and the Aerosoft Twin Otter, my cup runneth over with STOL aeroplanes built by de Havilland Canada.

Anyhow for those around if you want to really go bush flying with a model that performs like a STOL aeroplane should but looks great, has an appropriate vintage and modern VC and amazing sound package, then this is it, FULL STOP.

stearmandriver
November 26th, 2017, 05:08
Can anyone comment on how she wheel lands?

dvj
November 26th, 2017, 08:53
No Screenshots from users?

henrystreet
November 26th, 2017, 09:33
No Screenshots from users?

From flight yesterday, Beni Mellal to Errichidia over the Atlas Mountains

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/11/25/2017-11-25_10-0-6-928.jpg

Dimus
November 26th, 2017, 12:52
Official video is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbIUtTJlPeY&feature=youtu.be

About the FDE, there was a long process of trial and error during testing to get not only the numbers right but also some very specific behaviors like the pronounced nose down attitude with idling engine and full flaps. Tom Falley, being a real one driver did a great job again, like he did in the Beaver.

Skyhawk18
November 26th, 2017, 13:09
I have a few liveries in progress. Here's a RAAF livery (soon to be uploaded)

http://www.gunnarvm.com/Otter/RAAF16.jpg

BendyFlyer
November 26th, 2017, 13:11
Can anyone comment on how she wheel lands?

Sterarman do you mean a landing on main wheels only? or a three pointer? Does both just fine but wheel landings were generally a technique for a tail dragger where you had the space to let the tail come down slowly and then hit the brakes, short field, it is a three pointer.

BendyFlyer
November 26th, 2017, 13:55
.............About the FDE, there was a long process of trial and error during testing to get not only the numbers right but also some very specific behaviors like the pronounced nose down attitude with idling engine and full flaps. Tom Falley, being a real one driver did a great job again, like he did in the Beaver.

Correct, nice to know!

stearmandriver
November 26th, 2017, 13:55
Sterarman do you mean a landing on main wheels only? or a three pointer? Does both just fine but wheel landings were generally a technique for a tail dragger where you had the space to let the tail come down slowly and then hit the brakes, short field, it is a three pointer.

Yep I mean a landing on main gear, setting the tail down as you slow. While it's theoretically true that a 3 point landing should result in the shortest ground roll, there are many reasons to use wheel landings in the bush. More control in wind, better vis over the nose, and maybe most importantly when landing on a rough surface - tundra tires and main gear are built to absorb the impact of rocks and bumps at landing speed, while tailwheels and empennages generally are not. Youtube up some gravel bar landings in the bush and you'll see what I mean; not saying you won't find any 3 pointers as it can be done in some circumstances, but you'll find most pilots prefer wheelies there.

So you're saying the MV Otter can make a well-behaved wheel landing without the hopping and tail-banging that plagues its sibling? It will just roll onto the mains and stay there with some forward yoke, tail easing down as it slows? This would be welcome news, thanks...

BendyFlyer
November 26th, 2017, 13:56

Great look forward to this one, while I come to grips with a new paint program and do the JanKees tutorials to see if I can finally get this paint business right.

AussieMan
November 26th, 2017, 17:36
Already have the Virtualcol Otter and also the JF Otter and cannot see any justification spending money for another Otter. Both the ones I have fly well for me.

sp762
November 26th, 2017, 17:45
Yes, Pat. You otter quit while you're ahead. I wonder if somebody will do a side by side review of the three?

BendyFlyer
November 26th, 2017, 18:29
Yep I mean a landing on main gear, setting the tail down as you slow. While it's theoretically true that a 3 point landing should result in the shortest ground roll, there are many reasons to use wheel landings in the bush. More control in wind, better vis over the nose, and maybe most importantly when landing on a rough surface - tundra tires and main gear are built to absorb the impact of rocks and bumps at landing speed, while tailwheels and empennages generally are not. Youtube up some gravel bar landings in the bush and you'll see what I mean; not saying you won't find any 3 pointers as it can be done in some circumstances, but you'll find most pilots prefer wheelies there.

So you're saying the MV Otter can make a well-behaved wheel landing without the hopping and tail-banging that plagues its sibling? It will just roll onto the mains and stay there with some forward yoke, tail easing down as it slows? This would be welcome news, thanks...

Stearman, correct and agree re flying taildraggers. My only comment on tail-draggers is that some are a bugger if they have a narrow wheelbase in wheels only mode and can and could swing badly if one was not on top of it. The Beaver and Otter have a good wheelbase and therefore had reasonably good ground handling. Got one wing up though hitting the differential brakes too hard. Any tail dragger can still bite you hard if you get careless.

I have just finished about and hour and a half of circuits into a short dirt strip used to be a twin otter only strip near Newcastle NSW (Aeropelican) etc in the Otter and it does a wheels landing fine. The only issue I have is me and probably my PC (I do have a low end system and this one is pushing the boundaries for memory usage occaisonally, so I am getting used to shutting everything down except sim programs when I use it, I do get a little lag in response [millisecs probably] but there has been no misbehaviour either wheeling it on or a 3 pointer. The difficult thing with this one is the very low speeds for all phases of flight and big engine which means for a takeoff by the time it accelerates to liftoff speed it wants to fly basically straight away and I do find the trim a little slow for my liking to take effect to re-trim in most phases of flight. Same issue with landings it wheels on but as soon as that speed drops it will settle back on you on to all three but in either phase of flight no bouncing or tail banging that I have experienced so far. Got a bit of work to do to get used to the ground handling and the powered tail wheel arrangement which is awkward to get to in the VC from the left hand seat.

Javis
November 26th, 2017, 19:27
Jan um well I cannot say every Otter ever made for flight sim, though there was as FS9 version that I ported across into FSX but it was hopeless.....

Thanks for your elaborate sum up about STOL and the Otter in particular,FB !

I can only agree with everything you say, apart from the real stuff of course because i've never even seen a real DHC-3. I suppose they were only sporadicly used in these parts of the wood because i can't even remember having seen one in a museum. It is purely thanks to MSFS that, in a strange way, i became attracted to it. Next to the DC-3 it became my favourite ride after stumbling over Fred Banting's and Steven Grant's wonderful freeware renditions from FS95 onwards. Most probabely because the Otter IS like a truck, isn't it, and i do like trucks. ( take only the way the pilot enters the cockpit i.e. very truck-like ;-)

Personally i have sorely missed a good rendition of the DHC-3 Otter in FSX, that's why, in the end, after all these years, i finally had enough of waiting and started my own Otter project. I think about two months into development, like lightning out of a blue sky, here come even TWO of the most well known and respected FS developers announcing *their* Otter projects..... As we say here in Holland "Nou breekt mijn klomp!! " ( 'there goes my wooden shoe' ... ;-) I intend to create a repaint for either the JF or Milviz Otter with an image of a broken wooden shoe on the nose with this exact expression underneath it. :smile:

Btw, talking about repaints, if you're looking for inspiration, i just stumbled over this here wonderful 'DHC-3 Otter archive' : https://www.dhc-3archive.com/DHC-3_77.html ( thank you Matthew Kane ! )

Nontheless the wasted time i spend on my own creation i am particularly over the moon with the Milviz Otter. Of course i loved the AH rendition as well, even if only for the fact that, finally, after waiting all these years, we could welcome back a full blown all singing and dancing representation of the venerable DHC-3 Otter in our beloved virtual flying world. ( when i first glanced upon the 'broken' exhaust pipes of the Virtual Col attempt i knew that didn't bode well for the completion of my hope to have a good Otter back in the sim again..)

But that's all hot air through the exhaust pipes now ! ( nice to read about this particular destinctive feature of the Otter in the Milviz manual, like everything else, a very well done manual ! )

( pity Milviz ain't no fan of steam gauges glass protection. VC's are all amazing but after each flight i have to go down on my knees looking for broken off gauge needles on the floor... ) ( would also have loved to 'uncurtain' the curtain and step inside the cabin.. )

In between work i'm going to fly the pants off the seat of these Otter creations. A flightsim dream come true if ever there was ! :applause:

Well I am now a very happy camper, the MILVIZ Beaver and Otter, Milton Schupes Dash 7 and the Aerosoft Twin Otter, my cup runneth over with STOL aeroplanes built by de Havilland Canada.

Don't forget the amazing Sibwings AN-2, FB. Talk about a truck, éh ? Not sure yet but i believe it ain't doing much in P3Dv4, does it ?...

Anyhow for those around if you want to really go bush flying with a model that performs like a STOL aeroplane should but looks great, has an appropriate vintage and modern VC and amazing sound package, then this is it, FULL STOP.

Fully agreed ! :encouragement:

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
November 26th, 2017, 19:45
Btw, i wanted to edit out the spaces in my post above but there's just no way i can get the post into the editor.... Happens every now and then. No matter what i try. The edit window remains blanc... I can copy and paste the post into the editor and make the changes but when i try to save the edit all i get is "this page doesn't exists". :pop4:

This post actually edits fine... ( this is an edit... ;-) so maybe it has to do with the lenght of a post ??....

Alan_A
November 26th, 2017, 21:09
Don't forget the amazing Sibwings AN-2, FB. Talk about a truck, éh ? Not sure yet but i believe it ain't doing much in P3Dv4, does it ?...

No... but Aerosoft is pretty far along with the new OctopusG version, complete with Alexander's flight model. Looks like it'll be a worthy (and P3D4-ready) successor. Details in this thread (http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/125977-antonov-an-2-preview/).

Sorry for the OT, but Annushka news is worth spreading...

Javis
November 26th, 2017, 22:40
No... but Aerosoft is pretty far along with the new OctopusG version, complete with Alexander's flight model. Looks like it'll be a worthy (and P3D4-ready) successor. Details in this thread (http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/125977-antonov-an-2-preview/).

Sorry for the OT, but Annushka news is worth spreading...

Sure is ! Thanks, Alan ! Mathijs says it's going to even overtake the Sibwings An-2.... Seeing is believing! Can't wait! :santahat:

BendyFlyer
November 26th, 2017, 22:51
Some folks would like some screenshots . This is the amphibian version on a run from Port Morseby to Esa'sala an Island north of Milne Bay. REX, FSXWX, ORBX Global+Vector.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55941&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55942&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55943&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55944&stc=1

Timmy74
November 26th, 2017, 23:56
Hello Chaps,

After some great correspondence with CJ at Milviz -thank you mate- I have got my frame rate issues sorted.

I had "Mipmap VC Panels" ticked in my option settings. After unpicking this option she is now back up to 30 FPS. I never really understood what that option was all about and it never effected any other aircraft of mine.....!?

Anyhow, I just thought that i would pass it on so others do not get put off from this outstanding package.

So now I can clear the prop and kick the chocks!

Cheers,
Tim.

BendyFlyer
November 27th, 2017, 01:02
Hello Chaps,

After some great correspondence with CJ at Milviz -thank you mate- I have got my frame rate issues sorted.

I had "Mipmap VC Panels" ticked in my option settings. After unpicking this option she is now back up to 30 FPS. I never really understood what that option was all about and it never effected any other aircraft of mine.....!?

Anyhow, I just thought that i would pass it on so others do not get put off from this outstanding package.

So now I can clear the prop and kick the chocks!

Cheers,
Tim.

Tim, I have never seen or heard of this one in FSX. Could you provide some more details.

Timmy74
November 27th, 2017, 01:40
Tim, I have never seen or heard of this one in FSX. Could you provide some more details.

My bad..... It is to do with P3D.

Sorry.

stearmandriver
November 27th, 2017, 21:40
Stearman, correct and agree re flying taildraggers. My only comment on tail-draggers is that some are a bugger if they have a narrow wheelbase in wheels only mode and can and could swing badly if one was not on top of it. The Beaver and Otter have a good wheelbase and therefore had reasonably good ground handling. Got one wing up though hitting the differential brakes too hard. Any tail dragger can still bite you hard if you get careless.

I have just finished about and hour and a half of circuits into a short dirt strip used to be a twin otter only strip near Newcastle NSW (Aeropelican) etc in the Otter and it does a wheels landing fine. The only issue I have is me and probably my PC (I do have a low end system and this one is pushing the boundaries for memory usage occaisonally, so I am getting used to shutting everything down except sim programs when I use it, I do get a little lag in response [millisecs probably] but there has been no misbehaviour either wheeling it on or a 3 pointer. The difficult thing with this one is the very low speeds for all phases of flight and big engine which means for a takeoff by the time it accelerates to liftoff speed it wants to fly basically straight away and I do find the trim a little slow for my liking to take effect to re-trim in most phases of flight. Same issue with landings it wheels on but as soon as that speed drops it will settle back on you on to all three but in either phase of flight no bouncing or tail banging that I have experienced so far. Got a bit of work to do to get used to the ground handling and the powered tail wheel arrangement which is awkward to get to in the VC from the left hand seat.

Good deal; thanks for the assessment!

Skyhawk18
November 28th, 2017, 13:02
U.S. ARMY livery (WIP)

http://www.gunnarvm.com/Otter/army1.jpg

http://www.gunnarvm.com/Otter/army3.jpg

YoYo
November 30th, 2017, 11:38
Promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbIUtTJlPeY&feature=youtu.be

simondix
November 30th, 2017, 23:46
Lovely plane. Only niggle is I cannot get the flap indicator to work.

YoYo
December 1st, 2017, 00:31
Lovely plane. Only niggle is I cannot get the flap indicator to work.

It works, it's a small dot on inditicator (very small :) ):

http://s5.ifotos.pl/img/Nowy-1JPG_qxnrqap.jpg

simondix
December 1st, 2017, 03:02
Thanks YoYo. I will have to go to Specsavers.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

Timmy74
December 3rd, 2017, 21:55

Hello Gunner,

Any news on your Otter paints please....?

Lonewolfee1
December 4th, 2017, 04:55
Now that we're swimming in Otters. I really wish someone would make a Turbo Otter.

Skyhawk18
December 4th, 2017, 14:07
Hello Gunner,

Any news on your Otter paints please....?

Download link for the RAAF Otter: https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/k6ksy5

Timmy74
December 4th, 2017, 14:14
Download link for the RAAF Otter: https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/k6ksy5

Thank you very much Gunner. :eagerness:

Timmy74
December 7th, 2017, 01:38
U.S. ARMY livery (WIP)

http://www.gunnarvm.com/Otter/army1.jpg

http://www.gunnarvm.com/Otter/army3.jpg

Hello Gunner,

When would your other Otter repaints be up for grabs please...? ie: This one and the UN one.

Cheers,
Tim.

Skyhawk18
December 7th, 2017, 12:23
Hello Gunner,

When would your other Otter repaints be up for grabs please...? ie: This one and the UN one.

Cheers,
Tim.

Just a few texture spots to localize and paint on the ARMY livery. So I will post a DL link in a couple of days.
I also have some minor adjustments to do on the UN livery. I will post a link for that one as well in a couple of days.

http://www.gunnarvm.com/Otter/UN-3.jpg

http://www.gunnarvm.com/Otter/UN-2.jpg

Skyhawk18
December 8th, 2017, 12:17
Download link for the U.S. ARMY livery (zip file): https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/vta9wa
Download link for the UN livery (zip file): https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/v5rj6h (https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/v5rj6h)

Timmy74
December 8th, 2017, 12:56
Download link for the U.S. ARMY livery (zip file): https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/vta9wa
Download link for the UN livery (zip file): https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/v5rj6h (https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/v5rj6h)

Thank you very much Gunner.

gray eagle
December 8th, 2017, 15:14
Already have the Virtualcol Otter and also the JF Otter and cannot see any justification spending money for another Otter. Both the ones I have fly well for me.

I too am on the fence as to which Otter to purchase. I saw the Vid on the JF Otter (who makes the JF version)? and the Milviz one. Now IMHO, Milviz puts a lot of tech features in it, and that's fine.
and I like the paints in the JF version were (I'm guessing) kick the tires light the fire and go fly.

Milviz believes in using a Addon Management System and to me I have to pause my flight sim, then open the MVMS and make configeration changes then close MVAMS and open the Flightsim. That is
one of their signature features with all their aircraft. Just my perspective.

fliger747
December 8th, 2017, 17:10
We used the turbine Otter, which was a somewhat different airplane performance wise, but it still fly's like an Otter... The normal procedure was a wheel landing, which it does quite nicely, not sure if I have seen someone bounce one! It's main landing difficulty is in crosswinds, requiring a lot of the rather large rudder and often some trim. The main wheels are placed quite forward but have a wide enough track to make it relatively stable on rollout. As far as elevator trim goes, the ideal trim is such that the tailwheel will lift a small amount by itself before the plane flies off or a minor rotation is executed. Landing on glaciers a very flat landing was used and on Bush strips tail low but not three point. Tailwheels are the weakest part of the gear and one generally wants to protect if from abuse.

Thanks to the whiz kids for replicating the rather unusual powered tailwheel!

TF

chet twowolves
December 8th, 2017, 18:37
I'M hoping for someone to do some Alaska repaints . For the otter

cabbepe
June 14th, 2019, 06:56
Hi! I would like a swedish one for all configs. Why not a paint where you, like the default Cessna, you can type your own reg code like SE-XXX.I do like the one from Wideroe, maybe once piloted by Turi Wideroe in her younger days.I have on trouble: I have a struggle to make the Milviz AP lock on a selected route, course or altitude. Where is the button for changing selection when inserting a gps landing procedure?