PDA

View Full Version : V4 scenery compatibility

Navy Chief
November 21st, 2017, 16:16
I have only had P3DV4 for a few days. As I understand it, V4 is a different animal from the previous versions; I am guessing because it is 64 bit?

Anyway, are most FSX sceneries compatible? I also understand that AI compatibility is another matter altogether?

Mostly I am interested in Naval Air Station sceneries.

Thanks, NC:encouragement:

Naismith
November 21st, 2017, 17:36
Here is a reasonably good intro to V4 which explains why/how scenery & aircraft can be kept outside the sim thereby making reinstall much easier e.g. Have patience the presenter can be somewhat condescending but ultimately he is knowledgeable - probably because flight sim is his permanent job..... imagine that! :dizzy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODBYIFsEc6M&t=337s&ab_channel=MattDavies

Gooneybird565
November 22nd, 2017, 07:05
Just quickly...
P3D v4 does not like any FS9 element, should it be scenery or airplane.
a fair amount of native FSX addons (sceneries, aircrafts) without automatic installer will work clean under P3D v4 as long as there are no specific .dll or .exe file coded in 32bits mode.
For addons with automatic installers, better wait that the new versions and/or installers (64bits) are released, but I understand that various addons have already been adapted to detect P3D v4, or contain updated .dll files (gauges, sounds, etc...)
Various developpers have also already released specific P3Dv4 versions, as some addons working up to P3Dv3 had to be recoded for P3D v4.

My two cents
Blue skies

Navy Chief
November 22nd, 2017, 07:21
Thanks all. I just need to be patient. Am sure more developers will release updates. NC:encouragement:

falcon409
November 22nd, 2017, 11:46
Thanks all. I just need to be patient. Am sure more developers will release updates. NC:encouragement:
Pete, when looking strictly at "Freeware" that you want to move into V4: If the scenery was compiled using the FSX_SDK and doesn't use any special "dll" files to make it function correctly then it displays as it should. For Aircraft it is basically the same. . .if it is a "Native" FSX Airplane it will work quite well. For aircraft that utilize "gau" or "dll" gauges for the cockpit/VC those gauges will not display and would have to be replace.

As for payware, "Gooneybird565" filled you in there. It also follows the same basic criteria that Aircraft do. . .Native FSX (compiled with the FSX_SDK) fine as long as there are no 32bit "dll" files required. Developers are slowly coming out with installers that include V4 as an option for installation.

Navy Chief
November 22nd, 2017, 13:32
Thanks for your replies:encouragement:

What I did was create a directory in V4 called "Scenery 1). Any addon scenery is placed there. So if a scenery does not work, I simply deactivate/uninstall? NC

Mike71
November 22nd, 2017, 13:50
Right -you can just uncheck the box next to it in the WORLD/Scenery library dialog to see what happens after pressing OK and then P3D reloads the updated scenery