PDA

View Full Version : MILVIZ P38L - Aileron boost - rate of roll ?

menef
November 9th, 2017, 01:45
I've just installed the Milviz Lightning and I've noticed a quite heavy behaviour around the long. axis. ( roll axis).
AFM states : The aileron boost must be on always and it TRIPLES the rate of roll making the plane extremely manoueuvabre at ANY speed : actually I've timed a 360° roll with aileron boost ON and OFF and the time is the same.
P38 by FSD has a faster roll rate. In general I've found a flight behaviour quite heavy, unless Flying close to 300 MPH.
Is the aileron boost switch dummy? ( It seems so ...)
Comments/suggestions are wellcome !
Thanks in advice

Mike71
November 9th, 2017, 06:12
In the real world, aileron boost does not change performance, only control force - like power steering in a car. However, by reducing control force the pilot can move the controls with less effort, giving the impression of better performance, but max aileron deflection would be the same.

I have flown several airplanes with boosted (vice irreversible) flight controls. Most of them had a shutoff switch so the pilot could familiarize himself with the effects/response of the airplane if the boost system was lost.

If you want to improve roll response in your P-38, experiment with the aileron effectiveness parameter in the aircraft.cfg file [flight_tuning] section

menef
November 9th, 2017, 22:38
In the real world, aileron boost does not change performance, only control force - like power steering in a car. However, by reducing control force the pilot can move the controls with less effort, giving the impression of better performance, but max aileron deflection would be the same.

I have flown several airplanes with boosted (vice irreversible) flight controls. Most of them had a shutoff switch so the pilot could familiarize himself with the effects/response of the airplane if the boost system was lost.

If you want to improve roll response in your P-38, experiment with the aileron effectiveness parameter in the aircraft.cfg file [flight_tuning] section

Ok. thank you Mike:triumphant: