PDA

View Full Version : OT:Need Some Monitor Choice Help

c87
February 13th, 2009, 14:23
I have the opportunity to pick up a Viewsonic VX2433wm LCD monitor with full HD 1080p. Viewing area is 23.6".

I'm currently using a Viewsonic VG2230wm and it displays FSX pretty well. My vid card is a GeForce 8800 GTX, CPU is an Intel e6700 (2.66 I believe).

Our upstairs computer could use a new monitor which is where I'd put the "old" Viewsonic, with the new one on my desktop for FSX (oh, yeah, and work too).

Is there something I should consider (something I'm missing) as it pertains to running FSX (and FS9 for that matter) before I run out and get this thing?

Any help is appreciated.

harleyman
February 13th, 2009, 14:51
Nope...Not a thing...Its native resolution is maybe 1920X1200 and I think that card can only run 1650X1200(something like that)..

Just make sure you run FSX and your monitor resolutions the same....

Do you know the resolution of that monitor?

kilo delta
February 13th, 2009, 15:04
If the monitor is 1080p it'll be 1920x1080 :)

c87
February 13th, 2009, 16:23
Forgot to mention the resolution - it's 1920x1080.

DaveKDEN
February 13th, 2009, 16:59
Check out the monitor's ratio as well. Both of my widescreen computer monitors are at a 16x10 ratio, while my widescreen HDTV is true widescreen 16x9. Most early widescreen computer monitors are 16x10, yet many manufacturers are now transitioning to 16x9. Not much of a difference, but it can be somewhat confusing if you're unfamiliar. The big difference comes with screen reolution. A large (greater than 20") 16x10 ratio widescreen computer monitor will have a max res. of 1920x1200, while a large widescreen 16x9 HDTV or monitor will have a max res. of 1920x1080. The difference is a result of a 16x10 widescreen monitor having a slightly taller height vs. width measurement as compared to a 16x9 widescreen. Here's a good reference article from Wiki-;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen

To be honest, it's no big deal either way. I have no problems watching 16x9 HD content on my computer with it's 25.5" 16x10 ratio monitor. There's a small black bar at the top and bottom of the display area, but your eyes don't really notice it as it blends in to the background. When running FSX, I think I actually prefer the 16x10 ratio over a 16x9 ratio since flying is done in a 3D environment.

PS; Forgot to mention, I have a 20" 16x10 ratio widescreen (1680x1050 resolution) for my old computer. My new computer has a 25.5" 16x10 ratio widescreen with 1920x1200 resolution.

PPS; Ensure you have the proper resolution set for the ratio of your monitor so you don't get a slightly distorted picture.

Boomer
February 13th, 2009, 17:15
Not to hijack this thread but since we have some knowledgeable monitor guys here I have a question. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Today my new monitor was delivered a UltraSharp 3008WFP, Its native resolution is supposed to be 2560x1600 but when I have it set at that all the text becomes distorted & to small to read. To make things legible I have to run it at 1920x1200. <o:p></o:p>
Is there some setting I am missing to correct this? I tried increasing the default font size but that just makes the letters larger & not really any more ledgible. <o:p></o:p>
Also any recommendations for a color calibration software? <o:p></o:p>
Many thanks!<o:p></o:p>

DaveKDEN
February 13th, 2009, 19:23
Not to hijack this thread but since we have some knowledgeable monitor guys here I have a question. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Today my new monitor was delivered a UltraSharp 3008WFP, Its native resolution is supposed to be 2560x1600 but when I have it set at that all the text becomes distorted & to small to read. To make things legible I have to run it at 1920x1200. <o:p></o:p>
Is there some setting I am missing to correct this? I tried increasing the default font size but that just makes the letters larger & not really any more ledgible. <o:p></o:p>

I think it's just a matter of too fine a resolution, even for such a large monitor. If it's clear and legible for you at 1920x1200, why not just run it at that. My old 20" will run at 1680x1050, but I keep it at 1280x800 for the same reason - text too small and hard to view at the highest native resolution.

Cazzie
February 14th, 2009, 03:00
No problems here with a 16 X 10 ratio 24-in. monitor with a native resolution of 1920 X 1200 using two SLI 8800 cards.

One thing to point out though if you are using a wide-screen monitor of any size, in your FSX.cfg file you need to type in the command in red below under the [Display] settings at the bottom. It is usually set to False in default.

[Display]

WideViewAspect=True

kilo delta
February 14th, 2009, 03:45
Not to hijack this thread but since we have some knowledgeable monitor guys here I have a question. <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>

I've the same monitor,Bob. Are you using the DVI cable that came with it or an older cable? Have you installed the driver for the monitor?
Also...you'll need to set it up my entering the menu and selecting the required settings.

Boomer
February 14th, 2009, 05:09
Thanks KD,

Yes to all. I am uncertain which DVI jack to use on the back of the monitor. DVI-1 or DVI-2?
Also is it just me or is this thing a bear to color calibrate?

kilo delta
February 14th, 2009, 05:16
I'm using DVI-1, though it shouldn't matter. Colour seems fine on my monitor...i've it set at Adobe RGB preset.

Menu settings...

Input Color Format-----------RGB
Gamma----------------------PC
Color Setting Mode-----------Graphics
Preset Mode-----------------Adobe RGB

kilo delta
February 16th, 2009, 04:57
Any luck with setting up the monitor,Bob? :)

harleyman
February 16th, 2009, 05:03
Make sure that both resolutions are the same...Monitor and vid card both.... And FSX

That may help.......

Then you can go into windows and change the font size I believe....And Icons too...