PDA

View Full Version : Damn you Microsoft!

Naismith
October 29th, 2017, 11:22
Well the latest Windows 10 update has caused a problem with FSXSE with an error which crashes the whole sim namely "Error Creating child window" Which means that's my fun over for the weekend. Especially anbnoying as I was just getting into using and learning ChasePlane. Apparantly it only affects 32bit FSXA and FSXSE & P3Dv3. Makes the sim unplayable, the moment you try ands access a 2D window like radios etc .... blam! goodnight Irene.
Apparantly they will fix it in November.

gman5250
October 29th, 2017, 12:00
The new Windows 10 build has 120 processes running, before any software is opened. I'm OK in the sim, but have memory leaks and crashes in Photoshop and 3D Studio.

Naismith
October 29th, 2017, 12:50
71 files of svchost.exe - yikes!
4 of Steamweb Helper.exe
6 of RunrimeBroker.exe
11 of Chrome.exe

Navy Chief
October 29th, 2017, 14:33
Unfortunately I have the free version of Win 10. No control on updates, so when I do receive the latest update, I will hope for the best. NC

Odie
October 29th, 2017, 15:01
Unfortunately I have the free version of Win 10. No control on updates, so when I do receive the latest update, I will hope for the best. NC

Hey NC, does that include the trick where you set your internet connection as a "metered" connection? Just thinking.

ncooper
October 29th, 2017, 15:34
For the child window problem,
try settings\Game DVR\record in background while I'm playing a game OFF.
The same with the record audio switch.

paiken
October 29th, 2017, 15:48
Microsoft is dragging all of us kicking and screaming into the future...fortunately it hasn't messed up my P3Dv4.1...yet

Penzoil3
October 29th, 2017, 15:59
Restore to a point before the update, set connection as metered. It will snivel about updates, but will not download them unless told to.
Sue

Navy Chief
October 29th, 2017, 19:53
Hey NC, does that include the trick where you set your internet connection as a "metered" connection? Just thinking.
I don't even know how to do that......NC:dizzy:

Penzoil3
October 30th, 2017, 00:02
Settings -Wifi- Advanced options. I have the "free" version too.

Naismith
October 30th, 2017, 01:01
For the child window problem,
try settings\Game DVR\record in background while I'm playing a game OFF.
The same with the record audio switch.

Took a look see there, it was off, so maybe the default setting as I have never tinkered with that ...... knowingly.

UnknownGuest12
October 30th, 2017, 02:05
Hi, no problem here either with P3d v 3 or 4...not using FSX anymore...
regards

Daube
October 30th, 2017, 02:45
Isn't the problem about "child window" creation generally related to video driver updates and the necessity to delete the shaders ?
Is your FSX launched with the option "run as administrator" ?

menef
October 30th, 2017, 03:54
The more they go forward ( or aft ? ) the more they spread problems. If is this they call progress...

Bjoern
October 30th, 2017, 08:45
No issues here.

mrogers
October 31st, 2017, 01:03
Checked my FSXA - no issues. My windows 10 is 64bit but running in 32bit mode.

Penzoil3
October 31st, 2017, 16:30
A picture is worth a thousand words...
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/10/04/Microsoft-Windows-10.jpg

bbrz
October 31st, 2017, 19:55
No issues at all. Running FSXA not as admin in Win10 64.

Naismith
October 31st, 2017, 23:13
Updated my Radeon graphics...... FSXSE still crashes with the child window problem. Odd thing is it still records the flight in the logbook OK. Sometimes still crashes in flight when accessing the ATC or Radio .... but not always. P3Dv4 - No issues.

MZee1960
November 6th, 2017, 09:48
Took control over updates after 1607 'took over' my laptop by sneaking in the back door.
Now, when 1703's approach and knocking on the back door, suddenly became loud banging, I got wushowhide.
Now have no more surprises, and a very smooth running W10 laptop.
My desktop simulator machine is still running Windows 7.

hairyspin
November 6th, 2017, 11:58
Fully up to date and no problems to report. Should I be worried?

Bjoern
November 6th, 2017, 14:47
A thread about the issue at Avsim mentioned that PMDG communicated the error to Microsoft and that the Windows team is working on an update with an ETA before December.
Can't find the source in the PMDG forums, so don't quote me on it.

vortex
November 7th, 2017, 09:06
Take a look here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522643-issues-with-pmdg-aircraft-and-windows-10-fall-creators-update-build-1709/. Despite what PMDG are saying about it being "wholly a Microsoft/Windows issue", most people who've updated to the Fall Creators Update don't seem to be having this problem. The majority of users (all?) who have the problem seem to have PMDG aircraft installed. One work around which appeared to be successful for some was to load a flight with a default aircraft and then load the aircraft you actually want and the problem seemed to go away. There have also been reports that this problem affects A2A aircraft as well but they seem to work fine for me after the 1709 update.

Naismith
November 8th, 2017, 00:02
I'm going backwards. FS9 works great & looks great (with many addons), doesn't have this child window issue and all my Saitek panels work with it. This is not something that can be said of P3Dv4, So, I have all this equipment which is now redundant. It's not even that pretty to look at imo. FSXSE crashes if I so much as look at it presently. I am at breaking point. :pop4:

Mickey D
November 8th, 2017, 14:10
I allowed Win 10 to update at the W/E and I have no problems in FSX-SE or FSW.

Naismith: Perhaps a re-install of SE unless you've already done it.

rcbarend
November 15th, 2017, 17:11
From the "horses mouth":

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054150/issues-when-windows-10-fall-creators-update-calls-createwindowex-for-s

Allthough FSX isn't mentioned specifically, at least now a statement from MS that it IS a problem caused by the Fall Creators Update (1709).

Rob

modelr
November 15th, 2017, 18:29
My system updated this afternoon. I've never had a screen/system freeze since I built this box. Since update, I've had three. All while doing Megascenery installs. The freezes each occurred about 15 minutes after booting. I rolled my system back to before the update, and no freezes since. Was able to finish installing the Megascenery, and do some other stuff, without a screen freeze.

My notebook warned me about the update being ready to install, and I said "no." Rescheduled for 2 weeks from now.

Bradburger
November 15th, 2017, 18:49
From the "horses mouth":

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054150/issues-when-windows-10-fall-creators-update-calls-createwindowex-for-s

Allthough FSX isn't mentioned specifically, at least now a statement from MS that it IS a problem caused by the Fall Creators Update (1709).

Rob

Thanks for that Rob.

At least the issue has now been acknowledged by MS.

I had contacted Dovetail support who are aware of the child window issue, and they have been in contact with MS about the problem.

So hopefully a fix will be issued in a forthcoming Windows update.

Cheers

Paul

Naismith
November 16th, 2017, 00:07
I have found through much searching a semi solution. By that I mean 90% of the time it seems to work OK but will crash upon selecting end flight. It does still manage (in my case) to log any flight made. Occasionally it will still crash upon requesting a 2D pop up still but it is rarer and seems restricted to long flights, which for me would be over 400 miles in a twin prop for example.

Anyway it is a simple as Setting compatibility to W7 and running as admininstrator.

There was a big MS update Tues p.m. but alas the fix was not included...... perhaps next week :a1310:

Henry
November 23rd, 2017, 04:14
win 10 doesnt seem to like directx'that i have noticed
if thats the problem?:banghead:h

Bjoern
November 23rd, 2017, 06:52
I've reinstalled the DirectX package included in the FSXSE folder (_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010) after receiving the "child window" error once and no matter how many menus or windows I've opened since (a whole damn lot), I've yet to see that message again.
Not that this is a definite fix, but it might be worth a shot, especially for those getting the error more often. (Don't forget to report back whether it has helped or not.)

Bjoern
December 1st, 2017, 06:15
This brand new update is supposed to fix the error:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963/windows-10-update-kb4051963

big-mike
December 1st, 2017, 06:49
I have installed W10 3times now and when i insert the FSX disc,the install shield wizzard comes up,i can select the path to where install FSX.
Then it hangs and i get the error 1603.
The latest Update is installed.
Where can i find Version 1703?
Game over

Penzoil3
December 1st, 2017, 12:50
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/10/04/Microsoft-Windows-10.jpg

Bjoern
December 1st, 2017, 12:52
I have installed W10 3times now and when i insert the FSX disc,the install shield wizzard comes up,i can select the path to where install FSX.
Then it hangs and i get the error 1603.
The latest Update is installed.
Where can i find Version 1703?
Game over

Tried this?

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/forum/windows_8-gaming/bei-der-installation-von-fsx-erscheint-fehler-1603/70388717-d7ea-43d0-8f7f-238e08ff0670

Or google: https://www.google.de/search?q=fsx+1603+fehler

There are also ISOs for 1703 out there, from which you can install from:
http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-creators-update-1703-download-build-15063/windows-10-creators-update-1703-iso-download-standard/

Bradburger
December 1st, 2017, 13:17
This brand new update is supposed to fix the error:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963/windows-10-update-kb4051963

Not this update sadly Bjoern!

Those affected will have to wait a little longer by the looks of things.

I had re-ran the DX package that came with FSX SE on my old Windows 10 1709 installation (via windows update), and for me it didn't cure the issue.

(But glad it worked for you!)

I'm now running a fresh install of 1709, but still having the same problem.

Interesting how some people seem to be running the 1709 build of Win 10 and FSX/ FSX SE with no problems, whilst others aren't!

Cheers

Paul

Bjoern
December 1st, 2017, 13:50
It absolutely didn't work for me as I've just experienced. *Sigh*

Naismith
December 1st, 2017, 15:40
Yip! still getting the error. One positive though, at least the sim crashes this way long before I run out of VRAM. :biggrin-new:

Navy Chief
December 1st, 2017, 16:40
Well, my good luck finally ran out. Quite possibly it was my fault, but my computer "bricked" last night. I was updating WIN 10 to 1709. After a couple hours, following several re-boots in the process, my monitor's screen was black, unchanging for over a half hour. I rebooted. Would go to the "Welcome" screen, and then nothing. Black screen again.

I tried using my Win 10 recovery disc, but Win 10 would not boot successfully.

Dead 'puter.

Took it to repair shop this morning. Thank goodness for my external drives and online email receipts for payware, eh?

By coincidence, I had ordered 2 500gb SSDs a couple days ago. The SSDs currently installed are almost four years old. I figured it was just a matter of time, but I hadn't planned on changing them this quick. Stuff happens, eh?

Also bought a two TB external drive. When I get my system back in about a week, I am hoping things will work a helluva lot better!

NC

PhantomTweak
December 1st, 2017, 22:41
Well, Chief, your brick...errr...computer, yeah, computer can't work a whole lot worse!
If it works at all, in any way, shape, or form, it's working better :encouragement:

Let's see, 2 500Gb SSD's, and a 2Tb external. Yup almost enough for the sim, all the add-on planes, scenery, etc.
No matter how much storage you've, it seems to expand to fill it up eventually. I think it's the Unwritten Law of the Simulator. Maybe it's written some place. I dunno. Still...

I wish you good luck, and good fortune!
Have fun
Pat☺

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2017, 15:47
Y'all just don't have any discipline when it comes to add-ons. :p

Navy Chief
December 3rd, 2017, 13:04
Nope, I don't. Never will, either, at my age. NC

Bradburger
December 4th, 2017, 23:08
Just seen a post on the LM P3D forum: -

Hello everyone,

Microsoft will release a fix for the child window error in an update on December 12th. This problem was introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

Regards,
Rob McCarthy

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171475#p171475

Fingers crossed that this update doesn't bugger up anything else!

Cheers

Paul

Naismith
December 5th, 2017, 00:20
Hurrah! :encouragement:

odourboy
December 5th, 2017, 04:38
Too little, too late for me. Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and reload my PC with an Acronis backup image I took at the end of September with 1703 on it. Before I reconnect ths PC to the network, I disabled Windows updates. Still recovering my system for changes I'd made since the backup, but that's it for me. No more Windows 10 updates.

Bradburger
December 12th, 2017, 10:44
Good news.

It seems that the 2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517) that was released today, has fixed the 'error creating child window' problem an subsequent crash of FSX.

(Confirmed by others elsewhere as well!)

Cheers

Paul

Stefano Zibell
December 12th, 2017, 12:11
Except that the damned thing refuses to install, third time trying and counting.

Jesus Christ MS, get your #### together.

There's also no mention of the problem on the release notes.

Bjoern
December 12th, 2017, 14:35
​With update 4054517 and the JustFlight Turbo Arrow, I have mixed results so far.

Upsaide: Loading the aircraft doesn't crash FSX anymore.

Downside: Calling up the 2D panel windows freezes FSX or at least makes it respond VERY slowly.

- Edit:

False alert. It was an aircraft problem. Deactivating Compatibility Mode for fsx.exe solved the freezing issue and the Turbo Arrow works just fine now! So yes, the update fixes FSX!

Naismith
December 12th, 2017, 15:36
By Jove - it seems fixed. Did much in the way of plane hopping and inside outside pfaffing about also calling up 2D panels etc.... no crashes. Well done MS it only took 2 months or so to sort it out. :biggrin-new:

manfredc3
December 12th, 2017, 16:00
I have had failed update installs for the past week or so. 88% and then "ERROR"(After 1:30hrs. Darn Update assistant. I keep uninstalling the darn thing so it does not hog my resources.

Maybe I will give today's update one more chance.

Stefano Zibell
December 12th, 2017, 16:39
Any idea how long it takes for MS to slipstream this update into the official ISO? Looks like I'll have to install windows again.

"We couldn't complete the updates. undoing changes."

Fantastic.

wombat666
December 12th, 2017, 17:43
Nope, I don't. Never will, either, at my age. NC

Life's too short.
Win7 64 is the answer.
:encouragement:

Naismith
December 12th, 2017, 23:24
Life's too short.
Win7 64 is the answer.

I am beginning to think you may be right..

nigel richards
December 13th, 2017, 03:38
Life's too short.
Win7 64 is the answer.

Spot on, Sir! :-)

Stefano Zibell
December 13th, 2017, 04:54
Just for the record, after trying to fix windows update in every conceivable way, I updated through the media creation tool and all is fine.

Had to clean the ssd afterwards though, as the windows.old folder was taking 25gb while being useless.

MZee1960
December 13th, 2017, 10:17
I fly the friendly skies with Windows 7 64 bit. :encouragement:

Bjoern
December 13th, 2017, 13:03
Did a flight in FSX and everything worked just beautifully.

manfredc3
December 13th, 2017, 15:48
Well, gave it another try last night.......

1:30hr and at 88% installed, and..... "AN Error occurred". I am done wit these updates.

flaviossa
December 13th, 2017, 16:30
Well, the update worked ok in here and since that, no more "child window" error for me. I think itīs perfect now. (win10 64bits 1709)

Bjoern
December 14th, 2017, 07:18
Well, gave it another try last night.......

1:30hr and at 88% installed, and..... "AN Error occurred". I am done wit these updates.

Do you have enough disk space available?