PDA

View Full Version : FS9 prop in FSX?

SSI01
October 23rd, 2017, 16:20
Is there any way for one to cure that old bugbear one runs across of the FS9 prop disk covering up the clouds and certain ground scenery in FSX? Does the alpha channel of the prop have anything to do with this?

mikezola
October 23rd, 2017, 16:30
Hello-
What I have done with quite a bit of success is to open the .mdl file with the MdlMat utility and find out (by trial and error, unfortunately) which material call is for the propeller, then to set its alpha to 1 or 2 or so, but NOT 0. For some reason, 0 makes it worse. But making this tweak goes a long way toward minimizing that cloud and scenery anomaly...

Good luck! -Mike Z.

SSI01
October 23rd, 2017, 20:54
Where can I find this utility?

lazarus
October 23rd, 2017, 23:46
http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/beta.htm

MW graphics. Loads of handy stuff. At the end of the day, it's still not really good, the glass material has problems, spec and shine doesn't work well.
Much better proposition to convert the whole shebang to MDL X and merge in a 3D prop disc with MCX. Lotta folks around here abouts doing some funky stuff with that utility, chewing slowly through the FS7-8-9 library; it's pretty easy and fast, much better results. there are a couple of tutorial threads in this section somewhere. I can shoot you a prop disc model.

Bjoern
October 24th, 2017, 08:05
Is there any way for one to cure that old bugbear one runs across of the FS9 prop disk covering up the clouds and certain ground scenery in FSX? Does the alpha channel of the prop have anything to do with this?

No and no.

euroastar350
October 24th, 2017, 08:25
Conversion to FSX/P3D native models cures it all. If it's a freeware model and the original developer is willing to part ways with the source files, then a conversion is possible. If it's payware, well can't help on that one.

SSI01
October 24th, 2017, 23:13
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I'm still going to visit the site at the link, when RW events slow down.

This is a payware aircraft, and I'm not dickering around with something like that. I just wanted to see if what I had installed in FS9 would work in FSX Accel. Actually, it does, with the exception of that prop disc. The aircraft in question has versions made for FS9 and FSX. The brand name of the aircraft has changed from what it was called in FS9, but it's still essentially the same thing. Some of the FSX repaints for it are in .dds, and some are in .bmp. The name of the texture files in all texture folders, FS9 and FSX, are the same except for the texture type.

The quick way out of this is to just pick up the FSX version of the aircraft and then maybe do some texture conversions if possible - or necessary - for the FS9 textures.