PDA

View Full Version : W10 upgrade today

Naismith
October 17th, 2017, 13:34
Seems like the entire W10 was replaced I have a windows .old directory at 27Gb sitting there now on a diminishing SSD :encouragement:

Now the checking of settings begins :dizzy:

Cirrus N210MS
October 17th, 2017, 17:07
seems like microsoft is having so many updates

Crusader
October 18th, 2017, 04:24
Pretty bad experience so far with the new Windows upgrade . When I went into Settings and clicked Check for Windows Update and about half way through the installation and a few restarts a blue screen popped up saying " an error occurred with installation " ( or something similar to this ) . "Restoring previous version of Windows ." After a few more restarts and Desktop pops up and all is back to where I started with all programs working . Getting a Stop code error on the Blue screen I received

Rich :banghead:

Crusader
October 18th, 2017, 05:47
How do you stop Windows Update from trying to install 1709 every time PC is rebooted ?

paiken
October 18th, 2017, 06:14
How do you stop Windows Update from trying to install 1709 every time PC is rebooted ?

Your best bet, according to my son (a former Microsoft employee), is to install a Linux based OS capable of running windows based programs. He mentioned a couple to me but I didn't write them down. If you'd like, I can ask him again for his best recommendation. According to him...EVERYTHING on W10 is now an App, not necessarily able to work well with other parts of the OS. He spent most of his time there trying to fix his particular portion of the OS to work as it was designed and that other parts of the OS caused issues with. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm seriously considering the move myself on a dual boot drive.

Ivan
October 18th, 2017, 06:16
On the older systems (I am on Windows 8.1, but Daughter is on Windows 10) I changed settings to download all Windows updates but no Optional updates. I also set it to download but I choose when to install which seems to work fairly well though I have not checked on Daughter's W 10 in a while. We actually have running versions of Windows dating back to W98.

- Ivan.

Crusader
October 18th, 2017, 06:53
Thanks Ivan for the reply . I'll nose around Microsoft and a few of the flight sim forums to see if anyone else has experienced this problem(I'm sure they have as many people have voiced their opinion on how much they hate Windows 10 updating:banghead:)

Rich

Ivan
October 18th, 2017, 09:13
Hello Crusader,

I have also noticed quite a few updates within the last two weeks or so.
Sometime there are multiples in one day.

Although my settings are to always download but only install when I choose, it appears that my Windows Module Installer is sometimes running even though I have not chosen to do anything.
It appears that with my settings, installations requiring a reboot will wait for my input but ones that do not will automatically install.
I can tell because when the CPU or memory starts loading up (past about 30% or so) the cooling fan starts running very fast and exhaust gets pretty hot.
The Module Installer tends to run CPU up to about 35% or so.

I am describing a Laptop with 16GB memory and Intel Core i7-4710MQ with base frequency of 2.5 GHz and 3.5 GHz Turbo frequency. In theory, it should hit 3.5 GHz, but I have never seen it above 3.4 GHz.

I am playing with a numerical program that MIGHT be able to max out the processor but I have to remove a lot of the I/O to make that happen.

- Ivan.

Crusader
October 18th, 2017, 11:10
On the older systems (I am on Windows 8.1, but Daughter is on Windows 10) I changed settings to download all Windows updates but no Optional updates. I also set it to download but I choose when to install which seems to work fairly well though I have not checked on Daughter's W 10 in a while. We actually have running versions of Windows dating back to W98.

- Ivan.
I did get into the settings and changed to only updates to keep it running smoothly and no optional updates as you mentioned . at least it quit trying to install the new Fall Update 1709 (or whatever they call it) every time I rebooted the PC . . This is actually the first major Win 10 Update problem I've had . From the previous thread I read it must be like getting a whole new Win upgrade(and not an update) . It sure does not like my PC:dizzy:

Rich

Penzoil3
October 18th, 2017, 16:03
Tell windows that your Internet connection is metered. It won't download anything on a metered connection.
Sue

sixstrings5859
October 18th, 2017, 18:46
Sticking with Win 7 64 bit. No problems with my sims and all runs smoothly. Maybe Win 11 will be better than the current garbage called Win 10!!

Crusader
October 18th, 2017, 19:48
Tell windows that your Internet connection is metered. It won't download anything on a metered connection.
Sue

Thanks for the info , changed to metered too .

Rich

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2017, 19:55
Only problem I noticed with the latest Win 10 update is that when I click on the Windows Home button, nothing happens. If I right click on the Windows Home button, I am able access apps, but the previous display available is gone. Have tried several online suggested fixes, but no joy. NC

Bradburger
October 23rd, 2017, 06:28
Only problem I noticed with the latest Win 10 update is that when I click on the Windows Home button, nothing happens. If I right click on the Windows Home button, I am able access apps, but the previous display available is gone. Have tried several online suggested fixes, but no joy. NC

NC,

I got exactly the same issue after the update last night.

Turns out this is a problem that has affected quite a few people, and they aren't to happy!

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/776fa8/windows_10_fall_creators_update_start_menu_and/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/77h4vt/windows_10_fall_creators_update_horribly_broken/

A temporary fix is after you have booted up, log out and then log back in again.

(I tried it, and to my surprise, it worked).

Hope MS come up with a fix for this issue ASAP!

Cheers

Paul

Bradburger
October 23rd, 2017, 07:20
Ok, so now in FSX, I get a message 'Error creating child window' and the sim crashes.

Also, ASN16 will not launch, along with some other applications.

(Well, they give the impression they have, but don't!)

I'm not sure what has happened with this latest update, but getting a bit pissed off at the moment having to do fixes and workarounds.

(An update to Avast the other week buggered up my scheduled tasks because of some issue if Game Mode was on).

Cheers

Paul

Crusader
October 23rd, 2017, 08:43
I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft can stick the " Fall Upgrade " where the sun doesn't shine . Don't intend to even attempt another Fall Upgrade as I've failed three times previously . I'm sticking with my previous version and not interested in the " new Fall 1709 version " . All sims and Windows 10 stuff working on older version as it did before . As someone mentioned . Maybe Windows 11 will bring us all something we can all work with .

Rich

HyFlyer
October 23rd, 2017, 08:43

I had this for a while, but after having windows run a compatibility check, it identified an app or two it didn't like, and when those were removed/replaced windows went back to behaving normally again.

Bradburger
October 23rd, 2017, 09:18
I had this for a while, but after having windows run a compatibility check, it identified an app or two it didn't like, and when those were removed/replaced windows went back to behaving normally again.

Interesting HyFlyer.

I just ran the compatibility checker on ASN16 & ASN Cloud Art, which changed it to Windows 8 compatibility, and they both now work!

But one has to ask why is this so, as these are new programs developed for Windows 10 and worked fine before the CFU?

(It's interesting that my older programs written well before Windows 10 still work fine without any compatibility problems!)

Still trying to find out the 'child object' issue in FSX SE though.

Cheers

Paul

n4gix
October 23rd, 2017, 09:20
Maybe Windows 11 will bring us all something we can all work with .

Rich
What Windows 11? MS announced long ago that Win10 will be the last OS version. They plan to keep on breaking fixing it until it doesn't work any longer. :dizzy:

Bradburger
October 23rd, 2017, 09:25

Cheers

Paul

Just checked Event Viewer and it throws up the following when the 'child object' issue occurs: -

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 23/10/2017 18:03:40
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: PC
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: XAudio2_6.dll, version: 9.28.1886.0, time stamp: 0x4b6b0791
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002cbef
Faulting process ID: 0x23f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d34c201b2d469b
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\XAudio2_6.dll
Report ID: 7a0a6b37-da54-4d1c-aac7-53892952d938
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-10-23T17:03:40.540888800Z" />
<EventRecordID>747</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>fsx.exe</Data>
<Data>10.0.62615.0</Data>
<Data>559f9a9a</Data>
<Data>XAudio2_6.dll</Data>
<Data>9.28.1886.0</Data>
<Data>4b6b0791</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0002cbef</Data>
<Data>23f4</Data>
<Data>01d34c201b2d469b</Data>
<Data>D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\System32\XAudio2_6.dll</Data>
<Data>7a0a6b37-da54-4d1c-aac7-53892952d938</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

DX related with the new update perhaps?

:dizzy:

Cheers

Paul

Bradburger
October 23rd, 2017, 09:42
Just checked the Steam FSX SE forum and found other people are having issues with it since the CFU: -

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/2381701715710435961/

Cheers

Paul

Crusader
October 23rd, 2017, 10:26
What Windows 11? MS announced long ago that Win10 will be the last OS version. They plan to keep on breaking fixing it until it doesn't work any longer. :dizzy:

I stand corrected .

Rich

HyFlyer
October 23rd, 2017, 12:52
Interesting HyFlyer.

I just ran the compatibility checker on ASN16 & ASN Cloud Art, which changed it to Windows 8 compatibility, and they both now work!

But one has to ask why is this so, as these are new programs developed for Windows 10 and worked fine before the CFU?

(It's interesting that my older programs written well before Windows 10 still work fine without any compatibility problems!)

Cheers

Paul

God knows why it works. I was just staring at my computer after having the issue for two days of frustration and trying at least a dozen things, and finally just said "Hey, maybe if I......."

And it worked.

That's all I needed to know! :tears_of_joy:

gman5250
November 3rd, 2017, 03:16
I haven't been counting, but I am getting quite a few of these in the last few days. Yesterday, I had three.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4451/38135722161_75dd11efc6_o.jpg

This AM, around 4:00, the PC went to the blue screen with the little unhappy face. It took with it about four hours of detailed paint work in Photoshop.
When I booted back in, I had a little happy face in Outlook letting me know that Windows had updated Outlook and I should have a look at what's new.

At the moment, I am back in Photoshop, re-painting the four hours of work I lost. Of course it won't be the same as the work I did before, but hopefully it will be better. It's always better the second time I do the four hours of detailed paint work in Photoshop.

The last time this happened, I had a multi layered Photoshop file open. The file was the comprehensive work of all of my fuserear_t skins, specular and bump layers for the Douglas A-20G Havoc, and represented at least 80 hours of work. Following the unceremonious re-boot, I opened the PSD file to find a single layer that was red at the bottom with a noise fog of black across the top third. That was it. I had to go back and re-construct the entire body of work, and attempt to match all of the subtleties to the existing files that were not eviscerated by MS. All in all, the rebuild took me about a week to fully complete.

These PC problem crashes are becoming a bit too frequent, and I detest the idea of having to save my work every three or four minutes in lieu of MS barging in, uninvited, to grace me with yet another process to gobble up more of my workspace.

Just a HU, start hyper saving your work until MS fixes their latest FU.

Crusader
November 3rd, 2017, 07:04
Boy , gold old Microsoft sure tested this well before they through it out the door didn't they ? :dizzy: I actually have been very fortunate far as Win 10 updates go . Couldn't get this one to install .

Rich

UnknownGuest12
November 3rd, 2017, 07:10
No issues here...everything running perfectly...
regards

n4gix
November 3rd, 2017, 15:12
These PC problem crashes are becoming a bit too frequent, and I detest the idea of having to save my work every three or four minutes in lieu of MS barging in, uninvited, to grace me with yet another process to gobble up more of my workspace.
I feel for you Gordon! It is a major PITA when hours of work are lost. While it is annoying to have to remember to save one's work frequently while still in progress, it beats the hell out of losing everything.

It's funny that several freeware programs I use will gracefully auto-recover any opened files should something go tits-up, but an expensive program like Photoshop doesn't have such a handy feature! :pop4:

gman5250
November 3rd, 2017, 17:40
I feel for you Gordon! It is a major PITA when hours of work are lost. While it is annoying to have to remember to save one's work frequently while still in progress, it beats the hell out of losing everything.

It's funny that several freeware programs I use will gracefully auto-recover any opened files should something go tits-up, but an expensive program like Photoshop doesn't have such a handy feature! :pop4:

Thanks Bill, I'm sure you've had it once or twice yourself. I normally just automatically save out files when I come to a place where I've finished one or two operations. I save out my days work to an external every day, and usually create as second backup...especially with something like a VC or complex landing gear animation.

The one this AM, it was very early and I was kind of down the rabbit hole with the brushes. Forgot the time and got caught out with the hard crash. Oops. :dizzy:
But...like I said the work I did the second time was probably better.

I actually like Win10 as a work space, especially with the new SDK's, but I could live without the "bling" updates.

gradyhappyg
November 3rd, 2017, 20:18
Oh well they got me as well. Child windows errors, compatibility settings changed on several programs same with run as administrator settings and that stupid account control turned on yet again. FSX/Steam won't run at all FS9 oddly enough running fine. Checking through all my stuff now to see what will work and what won't.

gman5250
November 4th, 2017, 15:35
Just noted today that FSUIPC was DOA along with the issues I covered above. Only noticed it when I went to fly the A-20 and the ground handling was not like I had set it up. I checked FSUIPC and it was a complete vanilla install. No axis assignments, no key assignments, no switch assignments and all of my custom profiles were gone.

I probably had thirty or forty custom setups for different aircraft. Nothing there.

I had to set up a generic and start from scratch. Nice. :banghead:

Bump:

OK...I don't want to sound like a complainer but this is the kind of thing that sends me straight into leg breakin' mode.

I went to shoot some video tonight, and found that now all of my settings, shortcuts and hot keys for Shadowplay have been returned to default.

So...

It would appear that weeks, if not months of fine tuning and setting up my sim and numerous peripherals have all been borked because Windows wants to add more smileys, puppies and kittens to my frickin' OS. I can't begin to calculate how much time, work and energy I have lost in the last three years, due to MS cavorting about my workspace with zero regard for my valuable time.

What grinds me is understanding that YouTube, Google, Twitter and the giants are currently working at a frantic pace, tweaking algorithms for reasons I shall not discuss on this discrete forum. I will assume that MS is working feverishly to accommodate them, thus the rather frequent invasions I am experiencing. At this stage I can't assume that there will be any stability in my work space for the immediate future and I can anticipate more of what I am experiencing now.

I have this fantasy about the afterlife, where I get ten minutes in a locked cage with each of the invisible hacks who perform these invasions that cause me so much consternation. It's a rather enjoyable fantasy...kind of like a Happy Gilmore "Happy Place".

Sorry for the rant, but I'll sleep better having said my piece. :untroubled:

gman5250
November 5th, 2017, 11:57
I thought I would run a test today.

I updated my NVIDIA drivers this AM and had a short shakeout flight in V4. Nothing blew up, went south or bought the farm..so I figured that went OK.

Following an NVIDIA update, it is my practice to re-boot. I did a text book system shut down and let the system sit for a couple of minutes. I booted back in through BIOS and set the rig for my daily work settings, no boost on the CPU or GPU. The system booted and went to idle on desktop. I had to make a run to town for a few things, so I let the system just sit at idle for about three hours. No screen savers, no sleep settings...and I hadn't opened any programs. After the initial boot it was just running it's background processes.

I came back to my desktop as I had left it, but as I expected, the HD was purring and grinding away at something. I went to the keyboard and mouse...they were locked up.

It appears that just the background services, left to run for a period of time and asking nothing else from the system, is adequate to grind the resources to a halt in what behaves exactly like a memory leak or low resources situation. The only solution at that stage is a cold shutdown using the "hold start button for five seconds" escape valve.

If I run Photoshop or 3D Studio Max I can get to the memory crash fairly quickly. If I run them both at the same time, I'm re-booting quite a few times a day.

Thought the results of my little test were interesting, so I figured I'd share the results here and see if anyone else is seeing these same anomalies. :distrust:

SPman
November 5th, 2017, 16:06
After putting it off for 10 years (I hate change), Linux is looking better and better.......

Milton Shupe
November 5th, 2017, 16:20
Well, XP still serves as my primary box. I will likely upgrade to Win/7 next year for development and primary. No problems here for many years.

gman5250
November 5th, 2017, 16:36
Well, XP still serves as my primary box. I will likely upgrade to Win/7 next year for development and primary. No problems here for many years.

I look back at the graphics company I built back in the late nineties. We had a custom built Xeikon 5 Station digital press and a huge Zund plotter. It was a sophisticated production system that ran the front end websites, order processing, prepressing, press, plotting, packaging and shipping. It was a real state of the art deal.

I did most of the preliminary work in Windows 95 and Windows 98, then we moved to XP when we had the Xeikon built. We ran the office, my studio, the Zund and marketing on the XP systems. The Xeikon shared a clean room with another Xeikon owned by a partnering company. That ran on XP, but all of the design work station computers were Mac G4.

We never had any mandatory updates, major systems errors, problems, memory crashes, invasions, hacks or viruses and we never had a down day. I still have two of the original XP boxes, but they need some TLC. :applause:

Roger
November 5th, 2017, 17:19
I'm sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations Windows 10 users are experiencing. On three of my pcs I have Windows 7, but I do have a laptop on Win10 (inherited), with nothing too important on it. I wonder what Microsoft think the majority of owners believe their computers are used for? Do they think they are used mainly for music and smart phone type apps and maybe Office activity? It seems that there needs to be another operating system for more complex, dedicated design programs. "One size fits all" seems to be Microsft's dream and by all accounts they are failing drastically to accommodate the more sophisicated user.

Penzoil3
November 5th, 2017, 19:13
I totally agree. I have a computer, not a giant cell phone. I run programs, not bleeping "apps". Which is why I have a separate "experimental" computer for Windows 10, and my nice Win7 Ultimate computer as my flight sim rig.
Sue

Daveroo
November 6th, 2017, 08:25
i really dont understand all of this,ive been using win10 for some time now,and i never seem to have any problems,it will do one of the updates and i check everything and never seem to lose any of my settings ect.

one thing though,when im done on the pc for the night,i not only shut it down,but i have a toggle switch under my yoke that cuts the power to everything at the wall plug.i wonder if that might have to do with anything?...why its so stable i mean.

srgalahad
February 16th, 2018, 09:52
Just got off the phone after an interesting call.

Coincidentally with the "Fall Update" my sim computer died with many of the dreaded post-update issues. It is a relatively new and capable custom box. Tried most of the reported fixes, interrupted by a several-week holiday, then the Christmas season, then other annoyances. Finally gave up and took it into the retail shop to have them attack the Windows repair/reinstall/whatever process.

The call was from the tech who confirmed all my trouble-shooting finds, then said he tried my drive in his bench machine and it booted fine. Next he check the rest of the drive, then the bits in my box (primarily the RAM).. all fine-- UNTIL he tested the CPU -- FAILED!

So, no indication that M$ is at fault but an amazing coincidence of an update coming on the same night my CPU (i7-6XXX) decided to go into cardiac arrest.

Thanks Intel :dizzy:

napamule
February 16th, 2018, 12:43
I would ask for a 'second opinion' if I was you. They might just be after your money. Friends? At a repair shop? I don't think so. Or at least I don't 'BELIEVE' everything they tell me. I need 'proof'! Maybe you should ask if they have a USED 'i7 6xxx' for sale and see what happens. Ha!
Chuck B
Napamule

sixstrings5859
February 16th, 2018, 16:46
My new gaming rig will have Win 7 64bit. That's as far as i'm willing to go because i've had no major issues with it . Why can't MS leave well enough alone !

srgalahad
February 18th, 2018, 12:16
My new gaming rig will have Win 7 64bit. That's as far as i'm willing to go because i've had no major issues with it . Why can't MS leave well enough alone !

Because they don't build it for us, they build it for them. Shareholders insist on 'growth' and new products. Hypothetically Win10 IS the last version, but with never-ending(?) updates - have to justify all the twinkie-munchers living in the basement at Redmond - so it's a safe bet that, at some time, Win7 hardware will cease to work or install as the updates get more profound.

We, as users of 'legacy' software (and hardware), are a small crumb of the pie. It's the new adopters that fuel their business in the long run. No, I'm not happy with the philosophy either, but that's the world we live in.
Remember, in a free enterprise system, nothing is free.

boxcar
February 19th, 2018, 10:04
Because they don't build it for us, they build it for them. Shareholders insist on 'growth' and new products.

Nailed it. Short, sweet, quotable, and true.

Remember, in a free enterprise system, nothing is free.

-clipped-

you know this stuff already

Rudyjo
February 19th, 2018, 14:02
About the time windows 10 came out, I got a message every day from MS telling me that I could switch over from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. This went on for over a half a year, I was happy with W7, FSX works fine. I think the time will come though when enough new programs will only work on Windows 10. Some of the new car racing games require Windows 10.
I'll stick with what works for me.