PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help !!

WND
October 13th, 2017, 05:38
Good morning:

I've run across an issue with FSX-A whereby I cannot start up any 'Turbo Props' (stock aircraft or addon) whether I try from 'inside the cockpit' or using 'control E'..

They will 'spool up' but they won't 'ignite the fire' !!

Does anyone have any idea's what could be causing this 'glitch' ?? Sure would appreciate it..

Thanks;

Bill

Milton Shupe
October 13th, 2017, 05:57
Good morning:

I've run across an issue with FSX-A whereby I cannot start up any 'Turbo Props' (stock aircraft or addon) whether I try from 'inside the cockpit' or using 'control E'..

They will 'spool up' but they won't 'ignite the fire' !!

Does anyone have any idea's what could be causing this 'glitch' ?? Sure would appreciate it..

Thanks;

Bill

I assume you have the fuel lever (prop condition lever) set to ground idle, props full forward, pumps on, brakes locked, windshield washer full? :-)

WND
October 13th, 2017, 06:05
I assume you have the fuel lever (prop condition lever) set to ground idle, props full forward, pumps on, brakes locked, windshield washer full? :-)

That is correct !!! The windshield washer is full of fluid and the 'porta potties' are empty !!!

I will also state that it appears I have no issue's starting up 'piston' aircraft or 'pure' jets - it's just 'turbo props !!

Bill

henrystreet
October 13th, 2017, 06:12
Try doing CTRL+SHIFT+F4 before starting the engines. If this works, have you changed your default FSX flight?

Milton Shupe
October 13th, 2017, 06:34
Good advice Henry.

I always do that plus cntrl+F4, then cntrl+e

Bill, have you tried starting a gas engine aircraft then switch to a TP, then shutdown and restart?

WND
October 13th, 2017, 06:42
Good advice Henry.

I always do that plus cntrl+F4, then cntrl+e

Bill, have you tried starting a gas engine aircraft then switch to a TP, then shutdown and restart?

Nope !! I'll try all these and be back in a minute !!

EDIT: Well, so far so good.. Loaded up the Caravan, tried the 'control+shift+F4' and all that does and put the mixture at full rich, did a 'control E' start and all it would do was 'spool up' to 12% and stay there..

Then I started up a 'piston' aircraft, swapped over to the Caravan and then the King Air, all went well on both.. Then I swapped back to the Caravan - shut it down - and restarted it from the cockpit and all went well again..

So whatever it was that fixed it, I thank you !! Now we'll go try and see if I can get the CV580 running !!! LOL

Bill

WND
October 13th, 2017, 08:28
Well, after some more experimenting, I've come to the conclusion that my Turbo Props just don't like starting from the 'cold / dark' setting !!!

MrZippy
October 13th, 2017, 08:37
Well, after some more experimenting, I've come to the conclusion that my Turbo Props just don't like starting from the 'cold / dark' setting !!!

What aircraft do you use for your default flight and is it all setup for cold and dark? Using the default Kingair as an example, I start out in my cold and dark condition, pull the condition levers down to fuel cutoff, turn on the battery, click the engine start for the left engine and let it spool up for about 6-8 seconds and then slowly move the left condition lever to low idle position and the engine engages. The I do the same for the right engine. I do the same procedure for all turbo props if I don't use Ctrl+E.

Bjoern
October 13th, 2017, 14:18
Turboprops will start cold and dark without issue, even the Caravan.

Things that will inhibit startup:
- No fuel
- Master fuel valve closed
- Fuel selector to off
- Lack of electrical power

hairyspin
October 13th, 2017, 23:52
I had the same shenanigans with Piglet’s OV-1 until I deleted the default flight and let FSX build a new one. All good after that.

WND
October 14th, 2017, 03:23
I had the same shenanigans with Piglet’s OV-1 until I deleted the default flight and let FSX build a new one. All good after that.

Good morning HS:

Well, I deleted my 'default flight', created a new one and it made no difference - turbo props still will not start whether I use 'control E' or doing it from the cockpit !!

However, I can start a 'piston' aircraft and then swap over to a turbo prop and all appears to work ok.. So for now, I'll live with that - I usually don't fly turbo props - it just so happen I had one that I wanted too..

It's probably something simple and I'll figure it out someday !! LOL

Bill

ncooper
October 14th, 2017, 05:16
Hello,

the secret is not to create a new one but to load the default one.

PhantomTweak
October 14th, 2017, 10:44
Hello,

the secret is not to create a new one but to load the default one.
Quick, easy, way to do that is to open your FSX.cfg file with NotePad ONLY, find the heading [USERINTERFACE], and under that heading, find the line SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM. Delete anything and everything after the "=" sign, so it looks like SITUATION= . Save the file, close it, and start FSX. Now the default, Default flight is loaded. The Trike over Friday Harbour.
Remember to always make a backup of ANY file you want to edit, so if you mess up something badly, like I do all the time :adoration:, you can start all over again.

I've noticed that sometimes, if I don't end my flight at an airport, FSX:SE won't start unless I do that. Needless to say, though I will anyway, I've gotten pretty good at it :D
Have fun!
Pat☺