PDA

View Full Version : Alpha as background

JoeW
February 13th, 2009, 03:35
I have a texture that I need to alter the alpha. I can send the alpha to the editor (Photoshop 6.1) and when I open it there it's basicly still an alpha and not a background. I need to add a Layer to alter it. The original texture is a DXT1 colorkey. Usually I can stumble thru it but this has me stumped.
Thanks

CBris
February 14th, 2009, 21:09
That sounds odd Joe.

That is... you are "Sending alpha to editor" from dxtBMP, no? If not, try it. Open the dxt image in dxtBMP and "send alpha to editor"

Edit the alpha to your heart's desire and close PS - you'll be asked if you want to save... click yes and return to dxtBMP to complete the edit. Even if you used colours, the alpha will be grey-scale.

JoeW
February 16th, 2009, 00:03
Thats what I was doing, Chris. I added another channel to the alpha after editing that one and couldn't merge visable. What I need is to load an alpha as a background. This is a decal texture for Hamas little yellow RV. It has some orentail text on it and I'd like to change it to "Airport Security" or something simular.
I got it changed but I had to convert it to greyscale to do it.
Thanks

Cazzie
March 2nd, 2009, 10:21
That sounds odd Joe.

That is... you are "Sending alpha to editor" from dxtBMP, no? If not, try it. Open the dxt image in dxtBMP and "send alpha to editor"

Edit the alpha to your heart's desire and close PS - you'll be asked if you want to save... click yes and return to dxtBMP to complete the edit. Even if you used colours, the alpha will be grey-scale.

I do just that Chris. But I like to convert the Alpha to RBG and .psd for layers and work with them as a .psd, then resend the Alpha over from DXTBitmap and copy the revised .psd Alpha merged and paste it onto the Indexed Alpha, no worry about Flattening the image, in Indexed Color, it will will apply your .psd over the existing Alpha. Just click "X" and "Yes", then bring it back into DXTBitmap.

Caz