PDA

View Full Version : Tire smoke landing effect for carrier ops jets.

PhantomP
September 30th, 2017, 13:07
Hi,I have been watching some videos on carrier ops in fsx,and,I see that some of the planes have a neat tire smoke effect when landing on an aircraft carrier can anybody suggest,or point me to the effects for this if possible?Thanks

MrZippy
September 30th, 2017, 13:33
Hi,I have been watching some videos on carrier ops in fsx,and,I see that some of the planes have a neat tire smoke effect when landing on an aircraft carrier can anybody suggest,or point me to the effects for this if possible?Thanks

Just a curious question....do you know for a fact you are not getting the same effect? Have you checked your aircraft.cfg under [effects] to see what kind of touchdown_effects you have?

expat
October 1st, 2017, 00:09
I am usually too busy trying not to die trapping (i.e. in the cockpit) to be watching an outside view at the time of landing!

PhantomTweak
October 1st, 2017, 12:33
You and me both! Whether the long, sweeping curve of a WWII fighter like a Bearcat or Corsair, or the straight in (hopefully!) of an F/A-18 or F-14, it all happens too fast for me to switch to an outside view at the last second to look for smoke. By the same token, too much smoke, and I get waaaaaay behind the plane. Legal in Oregon, but hard on reflexes hehehe

I did look at all my carrier capable planes, which took a while may I add, and in all the aircraft.cfg's there were entries similar to this one: touchdown = fx_tchdwn_s, 1 under the [effects] heading. Tells me they all have some sort of touchdown smoke, to a greater or lesser extent. I'm thinking that maybe the gear positions in the [contact points] may be off slightly, hiding the smoke in some cases? Or perhaps the gear position is such that the effect never triggers? Or maybe the landing is too gentle to trigger the effect? I'm just throwing possibilities out to see what MIGHT be causing you to not see smoke on touchdown.
I've found that the touchdown effects by NickN are usually much better than the default touchdown effect, but you have to add them to each plane you desire them to be in individually.

Again, though, I am normally WAY too busy to bother with tire smoke effects. Just getting a 2 or 3 wire trap makes me happy, whatever those hateful vLSO guys might say about me. AND they do! :biggrin-new:

Have good landings, however much smoke you get :)

Pat☺

PhantomP
October 1st, 2017, 15:06
Thanks for the answer,in the videos I've watched,I see the tire smoke effects from inside the cockpit,I haven't seen them from the outside,so yes I do pay attention when trying to hit the 3 wire,but,I am just trying to get the best experience,I can get,since,I really only fly Navy,and,Airforce planes mostly,but,I will give Nick N touchdown effects a try,I know,a guy who called himself voodoo had some great effects of all kinds for fsx,but his website is gone now,if anybody has his effects could you be please send them to me.

PhantomTweak
October 1st, 2017, 22:46
The only voodoo effects I am aware of that can be found on the net are the wake effects for different size boats. Carriers, cruisers, destroyers, and so on. I don't know where you can get them now, but I'd be happy to let you have a copy of the wake effect zip file I have, should you want. Just PM me...
Pat☺

MrZippy
October 2nd, 2017, 02:58
I know,a guy who called himself voodoo had some great effects of all kinds for fsx,but his website is gone now,if anybody has his effects could you be please send them to me.

PM me with you email! I have the Voodoo touchdown effect. Or was that a box of Voodoo doughnuts from Portland, Ore.?? I get confused sometimes!

PhantomP
October 2nd, 2017, 09:42
Thanks MrZippy,and Pat,I will PM you my email address.:encouragement:

MrZippy
October 2nd, 2017, 10:15
Thanks MrZippy,and Pat,I will PM you my email address.:encouragement:

You're welcome! On it's way at the speed of light!