PDA

View Full Version : De Havilland Dash 7

JoHubb
September 29th, 2017, 08:14
I still enjoy flying this magnificent plane of Milton Shupe and his team. Currently I will be using it for Aerosoft's 'Round the World' trip - I know, short range - auxiliary fuel tanks are fitted.

Mostly I fly it in FSX but I feel it is at its best in FS9 - probably just a notion.

I suppose it is beyong the bounds of possibility that a P3D4 version will ever happen.

Am I crying for the moon?

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2017, 10:21
I still enjoy flying this magnificent plane of Milton Shupe and his team. Currently I will be using it for Aerosoft's 'Round the World' trip - I know, short range - auxiliary fuel tanks are fitted.

Mostly I fly it in FSX but I feel it is at its best in FS9 - probably just a notion.

I suppose it is beyong the bounds of possibility that a P3D4 version will ever happen.

Am I crying for the moon?

There is an FSX version of my Dash 7 converted by Euroastar350 available in the library here.

JoHubb
September 29th, 2017, 11:00
There us an FSX version of my Dash 7 converted by Euroastar350 available in the library here.

Hmm...thanks, but I'm asking about a P3D4 version.

I'm flying the FSX version already.

John

warchild
September 29th, 2017, 11:15
JoHubb, get miltons Dash 7 for FSX, and copy it to P3Dv4. It should run fine because it doesnt use dll guages and doesnt have any deep and mysterious systems to worry about..

Bjoern
September 29th, 2017, 12:23
Simviation has a panel upgrate for the Dash 7, adding a few more features.

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=dash+7&x=0&y=0

Haven't tested it though.

JoHubb
September 29th, 2017, 13:57
Thanks, warchild, Bjoern,

Lots to be getting on with now. I'm amazed that an FS2002 plane can run in P3D4!
And amazed that new tweaks keep appearing!

Maybe it's not so amazing - Milton's plane is a masterpiece! :ernaehrung004:

MrZippy
September 29th, 2017, 13:57
Speaking of the Dash 7...I just finished a very pleasant flight and I must say I happily dug it back out of my Hangar folder. I've had it

for a while and just got a hankering to fly it again. Great aircraft, Milton and it works perfectly in my FSX+SP2!:applause:

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2017, 14:08
Thanks, warchild, Bjoern,

Lots to be getting on with now. I'm amazed that an FS2002 plane can run in P3D4!
And amazed that new tweaks keep appearing!

Maybe it's not so amazing - Milton's plane is a masterpiece! :ernaehrung004:

LOL That aircraft is not the award winning 2002 model I released. Modified for FS2004, but most of it was redone with the 2012 redo, the most extensive.

Seahawk72s
September 29th, 2017, 16:37
There us an FSX version of my Dash 7 converted by Euroastar350 available in the library here.

I notice with this package, there are two door animations. One is the rear steps and then with the combi the front cargo hatch.
I had hoped to see the forward door animated, which I believe probably worked in an earlier model..?

I have tried the 2012 FSX port over package but am having visual model display problems with the "pass" & "BAS" models.
And yes I did not mix the installs.

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2017, 17:41
I notice with this package, there are two door animations. One is the rear steps and then with the combi the front cargo hatch.
I had hoped to see the forward door animated, which I believe probably worked in an earlier model..?

I have tried the 2012 FSX port over package but am having visual model display problems with the "pass" & "BAS" models.
And yes I did not mix the installs.

I can't speak to the FSX native conversion but I do know that Euroastar350 released an update for it. Saw it at Simviation when looking at the panel link above. The fix also mentioned some textures missing but I do not recall it all.

As to the 2012 port over, just pulled it up and saw no issues with either model or livery.

In looking around, I saw some non-standard stuff in the gauges folder, some .psp's and temp files I deleted, and thumbnails. Looked at the texture files for those two and saw no anomalies.

I did have trouble loading the factory livery initially (crashed the sim), and after a couple tries on that and the passenger version failures, I loaded one of the 102's which loaded fine. Then I switched to the BAS and the factory scheme and they worked fine. Had no issues loading the sim with either livery or model after that.

At any rate, that old model is so dated, not sure why anyone flies it. I will say, I will not do another Dash 7; I really am hoping some payware company will do it, but won't hold my breath. :banghead:

Seahawk72s
September 29th, 2017, 18:18

At any rate, that old model is so dated, not sure why anyone flies it. I will say, I will not do another Dash 7; I really am hoping some payware company will do it, but won't hold my breath. :banghead:

Thanks for looking into it.
The FSX native will fill my need and the panel update gives it a bit of juice..

JoHubb
September 29th, 2017, 23:40
LOL That aircraft is not the award winning 2002 model I released. Modified for FS2004, but most of it was redone with the 2012 redo, the most extensive.

Aha! I wondered!

As for now, I think I am flying the 2012 native FSX version....

It has within it, alternative .air and aircraft.cfg files from Bernt Stolle and Tom Falley. I've never tried either, believing that the default .air was the best. Otherwise why not make one of the others the default?

Can anyone shed light on these two .air files?

BendyFlyer
September 30th, 2017, 01:21
.....At any rate, that old model is so dated, not sure why anyone flies it. I will say, I will not do another Dash 7; I really am hoping some payware company will do it, but won't hold my breath. :banghead:

I fly it quite regularly Milton, there is something about a big STOL aeroplane that I find it a fascinating aeroplane, that, and it is still a superb model actually. The Dash 7 begat the Dash 8 which was nearly as good as far as short field performance was concerned but not quite. Having flown the Dash 8 for real they are remarkably similar and the early Dash 8's were basically the same up front and so were their systems. They only went over to EFIS systems with the 200 and 300 models on. It was and still is a remarkable aeroplane by De havilland, it was only the four engine configuration (and its short range) that killed it with operators, two bigger P&W's made its replacement the Dash 8 made it much better economically.

It fly's by the numbers and sure there is limited switch functionality but really whats' missing is of no real concern. I love the automatic TOLD card. It is fun going down the ILS with 10 degrees of nose down pitch and back at 100 kts, just like the real thing. I thought the FSX rebuild gave it a new lease of life. I am still trying to work out how to shoehorn in the Capt Sim Wx Radar but that is a rainy day package for me at the moment. I use to have fun into and out of all the short island strips in the Torres Straight which it does easily. It all works nicely and while the textures probably could do with a bit of touch up with Erwin's views it really comes to life.

I can understand why you would not want to redo it though Milton but as far as I am concerned it will be part of my sim setup for years and in my humble opinion - A CLASSIC that stands the test of time.

BendyFlyer
September 30th, 2017, 01:28
Simviation has a panel upgrate for the Dash 7, adding a few more features.

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=dash+7&x=0&y=0

Haven't tested it though.

Bjoern, I have tried this update but not sure it worked or changed what was claimed, I will have to revisit this one to see why. There was a nicer cockpit done with a Greenland Air version but it was a problem with the FSX native version for me. When I get some time might look at it all together.

BendyFlyer
September 30th, 2017, 04:52
For those interested here are some of the mods that have come out for the Dash, I am listing them here for those interested, they make a great plane even better (NB Not the Canadian Ice Version have not tried them on that one yet).

1. Alternative VC mod with additional switch functionality and sounds: DH7panelRW.zip
2. Dash 7 Shockwave Lights (posted on SOH some time ago but I have copy of mod to repost if required)
3. Dash 7 Camera views by Erwin Welker (27 Dec 2012)
4. Dash 7 Interior Camera Views by Chris Dietz (Propeye) (2011)
5. Bjoerns TurboProp Starter Gauge (posted in the thread on the De havilland DHC-3T Otter). Works fine for autostarts on the Dash 7. But note model is quite capable of being started manually as per the book (manual).

Note early version repaints prior to FSX tend to have issues.

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 05:14
Aha! I wondered!

As for now, I think I am flying the 2012 native FSX version....

It has within it, alternative .air and aircraft.cfg files from Bernt Stolle and Tom Falley. I've never tried either, believing that the default .air was the best. Otherwise why not make one of the others the default?

Can anyone shed light on these two .air files?

Bernt Stolle and Tom Falley were both Dash 7 pilots at one time so both air files are great, just have a little different feel to them. I did the original ones you speak of.

Of those two, although I really like Bernt's version, I usually fly Tom's version as that one has elevator trim centered at cruise speeds which is something I like to do. Not because its more realistic, but because I often change planes in mid-flight for testing reasons.

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 05:24
I fly it quite regularly Milton, there is something about a big STOL aeroplane that I find it a fascinating aeroplane, that, and it is still a superb model actually. The Dash 7 begat the Dash 8 which was nearly as good as far as short field performance was concerned but not quite. Having flown the Dash 8 for real they are remarkably similar and the early Dash 8's were basically the same up front and so were their systems. They only went over to EFIS systems with the 200 and 300 models on. It was and still is a remarkable aeroplane by De havilland, it was only the four engine configuration (and its short range) that killed it with operators, two bigger P&W's made its replacement the Dash 8 made it much better economically.

It fly's by the numbers and sure there is limited switch functionality but really whats' missing is of no real concern. I love the automatic TOLD card. It is fun going down the ILS with 10 degrees of nose down pitch and back at 100 kts, just like the real thing. I thought the FSX rebuild gave it a new lease of life. I am still trying to work out how to shoehorn in the Capt Sim Wx Radar but that is a rainy day package for me at the moment. I use to have fun into and out of all the short island strips in the Torres Straight which it does easily. It all works nicely and while the textures probably could do with a bit of touch up with Erwin's views it really comes to life.

I can understand why you would not want to redo it though Milton but as far as I am concerned it will be part of my sim setup for years and in my humble opinion - A CLASSIC that stands the test of time.

Well, thank you for these comments, right on IMO. I did not mean the fun or realism isn't there, just that it is getting so dated. I have not had a panel/gauge programmer since the 2012 Tracker project so doing any new projects that require different gauges than what I have in inventory is a real challenge for me.

Seahawk72s
September 30th, 2017, 06:43
For those interested here are some of the mods that have come out for the Dash, I am listing them here for those interested, they make a great plane even better (NB Not the Canadian Ice Version have not tried them on that one yet).

1. Alternative VC mod with additional switch functionality and sounds: DH7panelRW.zip
2. Dash 7 Shockwave Lights (posted on SOH some time ago but I have copy of mod to repost if required)
3. Dash 7 Camera views by Erwin Welker (27 Dec 2012)
4. Dash 7 Interior Camera Views by Chris Dietz (Propeye) (2011)
5. Bjoerns TurboProp Starter Gauge (posted in the thread on the De havilland DHC-3T Otter). Works fine for autostarts on the Dash 7. But note model is quite capable of being started manually as per the book (manual).

Note early version repaints prior to FSX tend to have issues.

Any chance you can re-post the Shockwave Lights mod..?

Edit: Got the starter gauge..

JoHubb
September 30th, 2017, 10:39
Bernt Stolle and Tom Falley were both Dash 7 pilots at one time so both air files are great, just have a little different feel to them. I did the original ones you speak of.

Of those two, although I really like Bernt's version, I usually fly Tom's version as that one has elevator trim centered at cruise speeds which is something I like to do. Not because its more realistic, but because I often change planes in mid-flight for testing reasons.

Thanks again I will give them a try although I really like the way she flies with your originals.

Seahawk72s
September 30th, 2017, 16:35
Any chance you can re-post the Shockwave Lights mod..?

Edit: Got the starter gauge..

Thanks.....

LIGHTS]
//Types: 1 – Beacon, 2 – Strobe, 3 – Navigation, 4 – Cockpit , 5 – Landing, 6 – Taxi, 7 – Recognition, 8 – Wing, 9 – Logo, 10 – Cabin
light.0=3, -1.9, -46.4, 3.6, fx_shockwave_navred_nl,
light.1=3, -1.9, 46.3, 3.6, fx_shockwave_navgre_nl,
light.2=2, -2.3, 46.4, 3.7, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl,
light.3=2, -2.3, -46.4, 3.7, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl_3,
light.4=1, -43.4, 0.2, 17.17, fx_shockwave_beaconh_l,
light.5=1, 5.35, 0.0, -7.60, fx_shockwave_beaconb_nl,
light.6=10, 9.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
light.7=10, 4.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
light.8=10, 0.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
light.9=10, -4.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
light.10=10, -9.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
light.11=10, -16.00, -1.0, -3.5, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
light.12=3, -46.1, 0.1, 1.2, fx_shockwave_navwhi_nl,
light.13=2, -44.8, 0.02, -0.85, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl_2,

//-------------- Landing Lights ------------
light.14=5, -1.40, -31.4, 1.10, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,
light.15=5, -1.40, 31.4, 1.10, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,
light.16=5, 1.00, -34.70, 2.65, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,
light.17=5, 1.00, 34.70, 2.65, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,

//--------------- Taxi Light --------------
light.18=6, 23.54, 0.00, -7.90, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small,

[smokesystem]
smoke.0= 10, -22.0, 1.5, fx_smoke_f6,
smoke.1= 12, -11.0, 1.0, fx_smoke_f6,
smoke.2= 12, 11.0, 1.0, fx_smoke_f6,
smoke.3= 10, 22.0, 1.5, fx_smoke_f6,

JoHubb
October 6th, 2017, 06:38
Because I have umpteen beautiful FS2004 sceneries, I loaded up the Dash 7. I wondered how it would fare in comparison with the FSX native version which I think it have.

First thing I noticed was the panel view.

In FS2004 there's a clear view, probably not authentic, but easy.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54612&stc=1

In FSX, there is an IFR panel only in my setup. No VFR option. Also the VS gauge can't be set in the 2D panel, but it works fine in the excellent VC.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54613&stc=1

I'd like to have a 2D VFR panel like the top pic for my FSX plane. Is it possible?

Thanks for any advice.

John

blanston12
October 6th, 2017, 08:51
Adding a 2D panel to an AC is pretty easy, open the panel.cfg from both aircraft and you will see a section like this.

// This Panel.cfg file created by FS Panel Studio panel editor utility - http://www.fspanelstudio.com// Built Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 00:03 FSPS Build:21457

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=GPS

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window00]
file=popup.bmp
size_mm=1280
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=7
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.010

gauge00=PC-6C!Vertical Speed Indicator, 117,838,150,150
gauge01=PC-6C!airspeed, 279,843,142,142
gauge02=PC-6C!ahi, 427,843,142,147
gauge03=PC-6C!Horizontal Situation Indicator, 724,843,166,158
gauge04=PC-6C!RPM, 904,844,150,150
gauge05=PC-6C!compass, 1122,7,133,137
gauge06=PC-6C!Altimeter, 576,844,142,142
gauge07=KingAir_radio!Com1, 1105,150,160,174
gauge08=KingAir_radio!Nav1, 1105,324,160
gauge09=KingAir_radio!Adf, 1105,498,160
gauge10=KingAir_radio!Xpndr, 1105,672,160
gauge11=Bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio DME, 1059,856,213

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window01]

Most often window00 is the main panel, copy the entire section from the source into the target. The name between the GaugeXX= and the ! is te name of the gauge file. so for

gauge06=PC-6C!Altimeter, 576,844,142,142

PC-6C is the file so look for PC-6C.cab or PC-6C.gau in the panel folder, it its there in the source folder copy it to the target folder.

Lastly make sure that in [Window Titles] there is a WindowXX=Name entry that corresponds to the [WindowXX] header at the top of the panel section, the value after the equals is just the human readable name so it can be anything you want.

MrZippy
October 6th, 2017, 09:30
He does not want to just add a 2D panel, because this aircraft already has one. He wants a VFR panel, which is a lower version of the IFR panel he shows in his screenshots. Like the ones in the default C-172 and Baron58. I highly recommend doing the CTRL+Q to lower the outside view.

It will be a major undertaking consisting of a proper panel.bmp, and the appropriate gauges that are seen. Then an appropriate [window.x] for the panel.cfg.

Now from what I saw in the panel.cfg for the VS window in the 2D cockpit and I agree you can't make changes. The VC has a separate VC window as a gauge by itself that is clickable.

Bjoern
October 6th, 2017, 10:16
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526956.aspx#views

See view_for_war_dir.

blanston12
October 6th, 2017, 11:43
He does not want to just add a 2D panel, because this aircraft already has one. He wants a VFR panel, which is a lower version of the IFR panel he shows in his screenshots. Like the ones in the default C-172 and Baron58. I highly recommend doing the CTRL+Q to lower the outside view.

It will be a major undertaking consisting of a proper panel.bmp, and the appropriate gauges that are seen. Then an appropriate [window.x] for the panel.cfg.

Now from what I saw in the panel.cfg for the VS window in the 2D cockpit and I agree you can't make changes. The VC has a separate VC window as a gauge by itself that is clickable.

I'm sorry, I though he just wanted to move the FS9 panel into the FSX aircraft, my bad.

MrZippy
October 6th, 2017, 12:17
I'm sorry, I though he just wanted to move the FS9 panel into the FSX aircraft, my bad.

I just tried the FS9 version in my FSX and I get the same 2D panel view with both. FS9 version will not work correctly in FSX.

If you listen carefully the Blue Angels are starting their practice over the Bay!:encouragement:

blanston12
October 6th, 2017, 13:48
If you listen carefully the Blue Angels are starting their practice over the Bay!:encouragement:

Yes, I hear them flying overhead, it can make it hard to hear my co-workers in our meeting.

JoHubb
October 6th, 2017, 14:18
Thanks guys for your interest and suggestions.

Looks like I'll just have to pump up the seat.

Regards,

John

Bjoern
October 6th, 2017, 15:08
Note my previous post.

JoHubb
October 6th, 2017, 22:18
Thanks, Bjoern, noted.

BendyFlyer
October 7th, 2017, 01:26
Because I have umpteen beautiful FS2004 sceneries, I loaded up the Dash 7. I wondered how it would fare in comparison with the FSX native version which I think it have.

First thing I noticed was the panel view.

In FS2004 there's a clear view, probably not authentic, but easy.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54612&stc=1

In FSX, there is an IFR panel only in my setup. No VFR option. Also the VS gauge can't be set in the 2D panel, but it works fine in the excellent VC.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54613&stc=1

I'd like to have a 2D VFR panel like the top pic for my FSX plane. Is it possible?

Thanks for any advice.

John

John for what it is worth the view from the VC is correct for this aeroplane and all Dash's. the seating is quite low and you have to strain forward and up to even see the nose section. You will note on the central pillar there are three balls on arms, they are visual seating correction aids, the idea is you adjust your seat up and down so that the balls are all in the same horizontal plane, when they are like that you are in the correct seating position for this aeroplane. These balls actually do work as intended in the VC if you move the view about.

Gerdoner
April 9th, 2018, 12:40
Sorry for the bump, but I think this thread is perfect for my question.
Massive fan of Milton's work, and the Dash7 is always one of the first planes I download for a new install. I think it's been with me since FS2002 now.
Well, I finally made the jump form FSX:SE to P3Dv4. Loving it so far, the Dash 7 works... but I feel there's something missing
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59492&stc=1
Now, I know that there are a lot of versions floating around (Old models, Port overs, FSX Natives...)... but I thought either this (https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=soh_dhc7x_sp.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search) or this (https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/50/709) version were P3DV4 compatible. Couldn't find an upload by Euroastar350 in the library either. Am I missing something? Did I configure sth wrong? Or is there just no P3DV4 version out there?

Again, sorry for the bump and keep up the good work Milton