PDA

View Full Version : Native A-20 Havoc for FSX / Prepar3D

stovall
September 25th, 2017, 05:50
The fantastic A-20 Havoc Beta 1 is out. Give her a try at the link below.

A-20 Havoc for FSX / P3D download HERE!!!! (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=37&id=23014)

Flyboy208
September 25th, 2017, 20:01
Well done !!! Mike :ernaehrung004:

p14u2nv
September 25th, 2017, 21:51
Thank you very much sir, can't wait to fly her

Daube
September 26th, 2017, 01:37
Thanks a lot Milton and team for this excellent plane. :applause:
The exterior model and textures are beautiful.
The VC still needs a lot of work, but it's already quite nice.
I don't have time to really test her now, but I could have a quick go..

http://sapdaube.free.fr/p3d4/daube_image0022.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/p3d4/daube_image0023.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/p3d4/daube_image0024.jpg

txnetcop
September 26th, 2017, 02:33
NICE!!!! Thank you...
Ted

jeansy
September 26th, 2017, 03:30
thank you Milton, Ive been waiting for a havoc and you have delivered :applause:

Milton Shupe
September 26th, 2017, 09:18
Thanks a lot Milton and team for this excellent plane. :applause:
The exterior model and textures are beautiful.
The VC still needs a lot of work, but it's already quite nice.
I don't have time to really test her now, but I could have a quick go..

Thanks.

The VC is done. What does "a lot of work" mean to you?

Just curious. :-)

EDIT:

Daube, I think your comment deserves followup from you. You cannot make a general statement like, "The VC still needs a lot of work, ..." without offering details.

Secondly, your comment offends me and my team who have already invested many months in the vc and interior. To make a comment like that on a beta is okay (if done properly) as long as it is backed up with credible input.

This is freeware built for FS9 and FSX and so is subject to some constraints, not to mention my petty talents.

So, I await your explanation.

Thanks

Fireball6
September 26th, 2017, 11:53
Thanks for this great plane, Milton and Team - you did a very nice job on her ... :applause:

All the Best

Dirk

Daube
September 26th, 2017, 12:10
Thanks.

The VC is done. What does "a lot of work" mean to you?

Just curious. :-)

EDIT:

Daube, I think your comment deserves followup from you. You cannot make a general statement like, "The VC still needs a lot of work, ..." without offering details.

Secondly, your comment offends me and my team who have already invested many months in the vc and interior. To make a comment like that on a beta is okay (if done properly) as long as it is backed up with credible input.

This is freeware built for FS9 and FSX and so is subject to some constraints, not to mention my petty talents.

So, I await your explanation.

Thanks

I didn't realize my comment would have been taken as an offense.
After re-reading it, I understand what you mean. For info, I was mostly looking at the textures, which could use some higher resolution, but I forgot the model was built also for FS9.
Sorry about that. I won't make comments anymore.

Milton Shupe
September 27th, 2017, 08:54
I didn't realize my comment would have been taken as an offense.
After re-reading it, I understand what you mean. For info, I was mostly looking at the textures, which could use some higher resolution, but I forgot the model was built also for FS9.
Sorry about that. I won't make comments anymore.

Daube, thank you for clarification.

I agree that the texture resolution is an issue in the cockpit, especially where text is concerned.
Some of the text is just eye candy so leaving it "in the background" was not an issue for me.

However the important text around switches and controls, especially in FS9, is somewhat unreadable.
This is where I can say, "the truth you speak hurts" as I knew this but have been so involved with more major things across the eight models in two sims to deal with it.

I will give it a look to see if that can be improved without major changes.

Thanks

Mike71
September 27th, 2017, 09:11
marvelous work, gents. It works well in FSX-SE as well. The only thing I had to do was correct a line for the 2-D panel window to make it to work in a wider view (for my large monitor and 970 card). The VC view is great with no changes required:

file=Panel2D.bmp
file_1024=Panel2D.bmp
size_mm=1920,1080
window_size=1.000, 1.000 // (The second 1.000 was left out in my downloaded panel.cfg file)
position=7
visible=1
ident=60
pixel_size=1920,1080

Milton Shupe
September 27th, 2017, 09:25
marvelous work, gents. It works well in FSX-SE as well. The only thing I had to do was correct a line for the 2-D panel window to make it to work in a wider view (for my large monitor and 970 card). The VC view is great with no changes required:

file=Panel2D.bmp
file_1024=Panel2D.bmp
size_mm=1920,1080
window_size=1.000, 1.000 // (The second 1.000 was left out in my downloaded panel.cfg file)
position=7
visible=1
ident=60
pixel_size=1920,1080

Thanks Mike71, I adjusted the source.

Great to hear it works for you.

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 02:56
Hi Milton! First off, thanks for all of the work you and your team do to make these wonderful aircraft. Now my question....I chose the A-20g Riding High as my

test aircraft and everything works except that I have no protruding gun muzzles or turret guns showing. The proper guns.bmp and turretrack.bmp are present

in the "common" texture folder. Could this be because I use FSX with SP2 instead of Acceleration?

Thanks for any help offered!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54364&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54365&stc=1

stovall
September 28th, 2017, 05:52
MrZippy, Milton can give you the particulars. There doesn't appear to be any plexiglass in the windows or turret either. This must be a FSX version issue. I use P3D v4 and all looks perfect. Those using FSX Acceleration have reported not problem either. See if you can find a copy of FSX Accel or migrate to P3D for some fantastic flying.

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 05:57
MrZippy, Milton can give you the particulars. There doesn't appear to be any plexiglass in the windows or turret either. This must be a FSX version issue. I use P3D v4 and all looks perfect. Those using FSX Acceleration have reported not problem either. See if you can find a copy of FSX Accel or migrate to P3D for some fantastic flying.

Thanks for the reply back. You're right....no windows or plexiglass for the turret. Might have to try the FS9 version?

Milton Shupe
September 28th, 2017, 06:26
Thanks for the reply back. You're right....no windows or plexiglass for the turret. Might have to try the FS9 version?

I am not familiar with the differences for FSX below Acceleration. Unless you converted the Ridin' High textures, it must support DDS/DXT5 textures as your livery shows.

The chrome oleos appear to be working as DDS/DXT5.

The glass textures are also in that format. (cabin_glass, cabin_glass_spec, and glass)

The guns.bmp is a 32bit tetxure and should have a white alpha channel.

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 06:32
I am not familiar with the differences for FSX below Acceleration. Unless you converted the Ridin' High textures, it must support DDS/DXT5 textures as your livery shows.

The chrome oleos appear to be working as DDS/DXT5.

The glass textures are also in that format. (cabin_glass, cabin_glass_spec, and glass)

The guns.bmp is a 32bit tetxure and should have a white alpha channel.

Thanks for the response, Milton! I just tried the FS9 version and so far, everything except for the nose gun muzzles look good! VC and 2D cockpits look fine and seem to function fine. I'll replace the FS9 prop spin with the FSX one and put in my A/P, brake squeal, and maybe make the front cannons fire!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54367&stc=1

wellis
September 28th, 2017, 06:50
Thanks for the response, Milton! I just tried the FS9 version and so far, everything except for the nose gun muzzles look good! VC and 2D cockpits look fine and seem to function fine. I'll replace the FS9 prop spin with the FSX one and put in my A/P, brake squeal, and maybe make the front cannons fire!

Mr. Zippy: My suggestion would be, if you haven't already, remove everything except the six critical files (engines, fuselage, fuserear, htails, wing_l, wing_r)and add the texture config file and you should have something that looks like the picture below from FSX+Accel. Guns and glass as intended. :-)

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 06:57
Mr. Zippy: My suggestion would be, if you haven't already, remove everything except the six critical files (engines, fuselage, fuserear, htails, wing_l, wing_r)and add the texture config file and you should have something that looks like the picture below from FSX+Accel. Guns and glass as intended. :-)

Thanks...will giver 'er a go! The FS9 failed to load after my first attempt, OH well! Now my dumb question...do I remove the stuff from the Riding_high folder or the base.texture folder?

Milton Shupe
September 28th, 2017, 07:00
Good advice Wellis.

I will also add that the FS9 version with the Clipboard load out screen and panel will not function properly in FSX as there are sim interfaces and functions specific for each sim. There are also VC functions that use custom xml that are specific to each sim. But, you can try it; maybe those functions are not important to you.

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 07:20
Just in case are the textures deleted from the Riding_high folder or from the base.textures folder. A little confused on this!

wellis
September 28th, 2017, 07:24
Thanks...will giver 'er a go! The FS9 failed to load after my first attempt, OH well! Now my dumb question...do I remove the stuff from the Riding_high folder or the base.texture folder?

Just remove all the files from the Ridin_High.texture folder (see below) and be sure to put the texture.cfg file in your now reduced Ridin. All of the files being those other than the above mentioned critical files are in the common textures folder and as Milton mentioned are tailored specifically for the FSX Native. The currently available Ridin High is for FS9 so it comes with everything in the livery specific folder rather than a separate common textures folder as in FSX. If you are going to use SteveB's and Huub's FS9 textures you will need to do this for all of them. Hope this helps. :-)

What you will have at the end is a texture.Ridin_High folder with seven files: engines_t.bmp, fuselage_t.bmp, fuserear_t.bmp, htails_t.bmp, wing-L_t.bmp and wing-R_t.bmp and the all important texture.cfg. Don't mess with anything in the common textures folder which shows up in the main aircraft folder simply as "texture" (no suffix or livery name). :-)

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 07:51
Just remove all the files from the Ridin_High.texture folder (see below) and be sure to put the texture.cfg file in your now reduced Ridin. All of the files being those other than the above mentioned critical files are in the common textures folder and as Milton mentioned are tailored specifically for the FSX Native. The currently available Ridin High is for FS9 so it comes with everything in the livery specific folder rather than a separate common textures folder as in FSX. If you are going to use SteveB's and Huub's FS9 textures you will need to do this for all of them. Hope this helps. :-)

What you will have at the end is a texture.Ridin_High folder with seven files: engines_t.bmp, fuselage_t.bmp, fuserear_t.bmp, htails_t.bmp, wing-L_t.bmp and wing-R_t.bmp and the all important texture.cfg. Don't mess with anything in the common textures folder which shows up in the main aircraft folder simply as "texture" (no suffix or livery name). :-)

Thanks for the help! I will do the work after I get back from the bank. I borrowed a texture.cfg from one of my other aircraft so that's good to go!:biggrin-new:

menef
September 28th, 2017, 09:45
Thank you mister Milton for this aircraft. I've very appreciated it!!!
Great paints!:applause:

Butcherbird17
September 28th, 2017, 09:52
My Thanks to Milton and team for this. I found a couple things that may or may not have been brought to your
attention. I have not read through the other 2 threads to see if they were and I apologize in advance if they were.

This is for the FSX/P3D version.
The first is the folder name for Queen Julia textures which in the download I have is like this, "textures_Queen_Julia".
The "s_" needs to be changed to "." so the textures will show in sim.
The second is in the same folder, the texture "wing-R_t" is saved as a bmp but needs to be flipped so the top of wing
is not showing on the bottom and vice versa. I flipped it in dxtbmp and then saved it as a dds file which flipped it again
and now all is well.
The last has to do with all the model's. They are missing the "hump" for a lack of better term across the top of the wing/
engine area. It is a prominent feature that you can see on the real a/c. As of now it is just flat across the top wing surface.
I don't know if you can add this or not (I hope you can) as it would make a great model even better.

Thanks again, Joe

wellis
September 28th, 2017, 09:53
Thanks for the help! I will do the work after I get back from the bank. I borrowed a texture.cfg from one of my other aircraft so that's good to go!:biggrin-new:

Just back from the recycling center. I neglected to mention, in case you are not already aware, in order to get it to show an image in the FSX+Accel aircraft selection menu you will want to add a thumbnail to the Ridin High texture folder. Huub has provided several screen shots with his liveries so I would take one of those and reduce it to a respectable thumbnail size (45-60kb) and like other FSX texture folders rename it to thumbnail.jpg and you will be good to go. You don't need this of course if you are using P3D.

wellis
September 28th, 2017, 10:29
My Thanks to Milton and team for this. I found a couple things that may or may not have been brought to your
attention. I have not read through the other 2 threads to see if they were and I apologize in advance if they were.

The first is the folder name for Queen Julia textures which in the download I have is like this, "textures_Queen_Julia".
The second is in the same folder, the texture "wing-R_t" is saved as a bmp but needs to be flipped so the top of wing
is not showing on the bottom and vice versa. I flipped it in dxtbmp and then saved it as a dds file which flipped it again
and now all is well.
The last has to do with all the model's. They are missing the "hump" for a lack of better term across the top of the wing/
engine area. It is a prominent feature that you can see on the real a/c. As of now it is just flat across the top wing surface.
I don't know if you can add this or not (I hope you can) as it would make a great model even better.

Thanks again, Joe

Hi Joe, here are a couple photos of "Little Joe" at the National Museum of The U.S. Air Force. Not all of the A-20's had this feature. There were a number of different marks/versions for the Boston/Havoc. As noted, Little Joe did not have one, but if you look at the machine displayed at the website of the RAAF Amberley Heritage Museum you'll see that it does. If you do a broader web search for images of the A-20 you will find many that do not. Milton could explain this better than I, but I am guessing it is because of the limitations on the number of vertices/polygons allowable for these models in any of the sims. I know these models were already pushing those limits. I have tried to simulate this in a 2d fashion for some of the paints, but that really had a limited appeal to me so in most cases I left it out (though it is a select-able option in the paint kits). :-) Please note these photos are courtesy of the NMUSAF.

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 10:39
Thanks to Milton and wellis for the help this morning! It was still a no go on the A-20g. This may be a concern for the few out there that don't have FSX-SE, Acceleration or P3D.

I still have lots of your aircraft, both FSX and FS9 that work in my Sim!:applause:

Milton Shupe
September 28th, 2017, 10:41
Just back from the recycling center. I neglected to mention, in case you are not already aware, in order to get it to show an image in the FSX+Accel aircraft selection menu you will want to add a thumbnail to the Ridin High texture folder. Huub has provided several screen shots with his liveries so I would take one of those and reduce it to a respectable thumbnail size (45-60kb) and like other FSX texture folders rename it to thumbnail.jpg and you will be good to go. You don't need this of course if you are using P3D.

The FSX beta contained proper Ridin' High DDS/DXT5 textures and thumbnails so I'm not sure why this problem even exists. The Ridin' High texture folder had a texture.cfg in it. So now I question if Mr.Zippy is even running the beta for FSX.

Milton Shupe
September 28th, 2017, 10:49

and now all is well.

Thanks again, Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

All corrected.

With respect to the air intake, that was added for the African bound aircraft so that larger air filters could be used to deal with the sand and dust. All aircraft did not carry this feature. Other deliveries may have included the larger intakes.

When looking at all the various models and their differences, I had to limit how many variants I would do based on model differences of wings, rear gunner areas, fuselage and noses, and engine nacelles and cowl flaps. That is why I chose to stick to the common short intake.

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 11:21
The FSX beta contained proper Ridin' High DDS/DXT5 textures and thumbnails so I'm not sure why this problem even exists. The Ridin' High texture folder had a texture.cfg in it. So now I question if Mr.Zippy is even running the beta for FSX.

Yep, it's the beta for FSX that I started with, A20fsxbeta.zip That had no cockpit glass, no plexiglass dome for the gunner, nor gun muzzles for the nose or gunner's turret for the A-20g. The FS9 beta version gave me the cockpit glass, gunner's dome and gun muzzles. The cockpit gauges worked but once the engines were started, no throttles movement from my joystick or mouse on the throttle levers.

I even went as far as a fresh download and installed all 4 of the packages to my Sim. I was using the link from the very first post in this thread.

Butcherbird17
September 28th, 2017, 11:35
Thanks Milton and Wellis for your explanation. I don't know why I couldn't think of the right term at the time I posted
about the HUMP, was drawing a blank in my head. The "Ole Rolodex" isn't what it use to be. :biggrin-new:
I understand about the model and I just hope down the road if you get the itch to add that feature that you will.
The funny thing to this is I was looking at a model of the A-20 that I built back in the early 90's of Little Joe that it has
the air intakes on it and is why I posted about it.

Joe

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 11:48
I just tried for a 4th time...fresh download and vanilla install just sticking the cranky start effect file into my Effects folder and the 4 aircraft types, _A20CHavoc,
_A20gHAVOC, _P-70A1 and _P70A2 into SimObjects/Airplanes folder. No glass, plexi or otherwise, nor guns, turret or nose show anywhere.

Sorry Milton, just wanted you to be aware of the problem. Maybe another FSX SP2 user will try it and report back!

Milton Shupe
September 28th, 2017, 12:21
I just tried for a 4th time...fresh download and vanilla install just sticking the cranky start effect file into my Effects folder and the 4 aircraft types, _A20CHavoc,
_A20gHAVOC, _P-70A1 and _P70A2 into SimObjects/Airplanes folder. No glass, plexi or otherwise, nor guns, turret or nose show anywhere.

Sorry Milton, just wanted you to be aware of the problem. Maybe another FSX SP2 user will try it and report back!

Thank you for the extra efforts Sir. :-)

That is perplexing. The glass may be related to use of material features not available in pre-accel versions.

But the guns, all I can suggest is maybe changing the format from 32-bit to DXT1 as it does not use the alpha channel.
I have attached it for you to try. Just unzip and copy the guns.bmp to your common texture folder replacing the existing.

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 13:18
I tried the new guns.bmp, still no joy! Might have to play with the FS9 texture folder in the FSX version to see if has any affect.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54386&stc=1

huub vink
September 28th, 2017, 13:35
Mr Zippy,

I'm convinced your problems have nothing to do with textures. The textures are in a format which can be used in any version from FSX. Although I'm not yet familiar with the FSX version of the A-20, I am not 100% sure. But I think the barrels from the nose mounted guns can be made visible and invisible and are controlled by an xml script. In FS9 the turret movement is controlled by an xml script as well. Personally I think these xml scripts are causing the problems as I made textures from all versions of FSX and never encountered any problems with them.

The fact the glass texture doesn't show could be caused by a difference in the way FSX sp2 and FSX Acceleration handles transparency.

Cheers,
Huub

MrZippy
September 28th, 2017, 14:18
Mr Zippy,

I'm convinced your problems have nothing to do with textures. The textures are in a format which can be used in any version from FSX. Although I'm not yet familiar with the FSX version, I am not 1005 sure. But I think the barrels from the nose mounted guns can be made visible and invisible and and controlled by an xml script. In FS9 the turret movement is controlled by an xml script as well. Personally I think these xml scripts are causing the problems as I made textures from all versions of FSX and never encountered any problems with them.

The fact the glass texture doesn't show could be caused by a difference in the way FSX sp2 and FSX Acceleration handles transparency.

Cheers,
Huub

Thanks for additional help! Now Milton is gonna kill me! I am now using the FS9 model.a20g in my FSX (oh, man, Milton's cringing!) I substituted glass.bmp files from the FS9 download and put them into the texture folder. Still no nose guns but the rear turret looks good and cockpit glass looks good as well as 2D and VC.
So far, everything works and throttles make me move!!! No pilot or gunner people showing from outside view yet....Give me time:ernaehrung004:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54388&stc=1

Milton Shupe
September 28th, 2017, 17:02
LOL Well, good luck :-) For the crew figures to show, you will need to plug in the FS9 A-20 "C" panel folder. However, there are gauges in that folder that may have to be removed as they may crash on load.

There are functions that will not work without the FS9 panel, and functions that will not work with the FS9 panel.

Seahawk72s
September 28th, 2017, 20:00
Not sure what I am missing...
I don't see the taxi light in an on condition...

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2017, 04:29
Not sure what I am missing...
I don't see the taxi light in an on condition...

SH72,

Seems I left out the effect in the beta release although it was in the pre-beta.

Attached

Seahawk72s
September 29th, 2017, 04:40
SH72,

Seems I left out the effect in the beta release although it was in the pre-beta.

Attached

Thank you...
Are the lights meant to be that different in brightness...?

Seahawk72s
September 29th, 2017, 05:44
With the landing light switch controlling the extension of both it and the taxi light, you can be left with the taxi light
floating below the wing with no housing.

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2017, 05:57
With the landing light switch controlling the extension of both it and the taxi light, you can be left with the taxi light
floating below the wing with no housing.

That's the beta; already corrected that situation. :-)

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2017, 06:00
Thank you...
Are the lights meant to be that different in brightness...?

Yes, taxi lights are not as bright as landing lights.

However, with that said, FS does a poor job of the whole taxi light handling tied to landing light switches. And, there is no real taxi light effect with the sim; it uses the landing light effect as that is the only light that lights the ground.

The effect I am using belongs to Lionheart, and it does not hit the ground. Such is life.

Seahawk72s
September 29th, 2017, 07:03
Yes, taxi lights are not as bright as landing lights.

However, with that said, FS does a poor job of the whole taxi light handling tied to landing light switches. And, there is no real taxi light effect with the sim; it uses the landing light effect as that is the only light that lights the ground.

The effect I am using belongs to Lionheart, and it does not hit the ground. Such is life.

I'm a little confused as from what you can see in GMan's video the landing light looks equally as bright.

Milton Shupe
September 29th, 2017, 07:20
I'm a little confused as from what you can see in GMan's video the landing light looks equally as bright.

Gman replaced my FSX light effects with something else. Those are not my primitive lights.

MrZippy
September 29th, 2017, 08:04
Gman replaced my FSX light effects with something else. Those are not my primitive lights.

+1 Yep, those look like Shockwave landing lights. I have an Effects folder full of 'em provided by an uploader over Fltsim.com plus
a boatload of fireworks and other questionable stuff.

Just in case anyone wants to check it out.........paa322x.zip at fltsim.com Library. You can even have a laugh at my comment under the download!:censored:

Butcherbird17
September 30th, 2017, 08:20
I took a detour from painting the B-26 to play with the A-20 paintkit. Still some stuff to add (anti-glare panels) and I need to
find some stencils for it, then to start to work on the alpha's. Is this model setup to be reflective?

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/01/2017-9-30_11-53-41-152.jpg

Joe

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 08:54
I took a detour from painting the B-26 to play with the A-20 paintkit. Still some stuff to add (anti-glare panels) and I need to
find some stencils for it, then to start to work on the alpha's. Is this model setup to be reflective?

Joe

Thank you Joe,

The A-20 has specular and bump map place holders in the common texture folder, named as shown in the attachment.

However, the material settings are different than the B-26 so your work will respond differently than on the B-26.

If you need the rest of the material settings, or do not use MCX, I'll post them for you.

Butcherbird17
September 30th, 2017, 09:17
Thank you Joe,

The A-20 has specular and bump map place holders in the common texture folder, named as shown in the attachment.

However, the material settings are different than the B-26 so your work will respond differently than on the B-26.

If you need the rest of the material settings, or do not use MCX, I'll post them for you.

Thanks Milton. I have MCX but only use it to check textures I might be working on as it's easier than starting up the sim
to see if things line up or how the texture looks overall. I'm not looking to do a highly polished bird like Rick has done with
his work, I'm after a more used/weathered combat look. If you don't mind posting those settings for the materials I would
be more than grateful.

Joe

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 09:40
Thanks Milton. I have MCX but only use it to check textures I might be working on as it's easier than starting up the sim
to see if things line up or how the texture looks overall. I'm not looking to do a highly polished bird like Rick has done with
his work, I'm after a more used/weathered combat look. If you don't mind posting those settings for the materials I would
be more than grateful.

Joe

Happy to do it Joe. The material settings for the fuselage are the same for the wings, engines, and tails. Funny, just noticed I am not using the Fresnel Ramp in these settings. No problem to add if desired.

jandjfrench
September 30th, 2017, 10:00
Hi,
I've been trying to fly with the correct loadout for each variation. Having a different aircraft.cfg for each doesn't seem practical. It seems the best solution is to have all possible station loads available and then choose only those applicable to the chosen model. As each fltsim.x can reference a different kb_reference the correct info could be found there. Or while previewing the aircraft the performance data displayed could show the loadout info for each model and the correct payload could be selected before starting a flight. Any other suggestions?
Jim F.

SteveB
September 30th, 2017, 10:28
Tailspin45 asked if I could paint up an aircraft for the USAAF, 672nd BS, 417BG. 1944. well here it is https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ha5hebhvinww2s/FSX_a20g_usaafg1.zip?dl=0
This texture set is in dxt5 dds format and has altered textures only. The screenshot was taken in fs2004 as I don't have fsx installed.

Steve

Butcherbird17
September 30th, 2017, 10:33
Thanks Milton.

Joe

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 10:34
Hi,
I've been trying to fly with the correct loadout for each variation. Having a different aircraft.cfg for each doesn't seem practical. It seems the best solution is to have all possible station loads available and then choose only those applicable to the chosen model. As each fltsim.x can reference a different kb_reference the correct info could be found there. Or while previewing the aircraft the performance data displayed could show the loadout info for each model and the correct payload could be selected before starting a flight. Any other suggestions?
Jim F.

Best intentions and efforts were made.

We have a proper load out sheet in FS9 that is cafeteria style selections for crew, armament, fuel tanks, etc. Adjustments to weight are automatic. That includes gun and ammunition weights that would be depleted when used. (That was a future planned feature with effects.) Note I said :was". Although the FS9 work is not completed, still in test mode, it works well enough to use.

Unfortunately, that great setup done by Spokes2112 was not completed and did not work properly for FSX and he has not been around for a long time to complete his excellent progress on some highly sophisticated internals.

So, I had to pull out everything from the models, xml, panels, aircraft.cfgs, etc. and setup basic functions and models for several variants in each group for FSX.

Not ideal, but I have no panel/gauge programmer to do the load out work.

Yes, a lot more can be done to specify load outs in the selection descriptions, and ensure weight match. But, I assure you that a few hundred or thousand pounds would be barely noticeable in the sim.

So, feel free to change your setup anyway you wish, and share if you like. But, you should await the final release before getting started on that as there are lots of changes coming.

Keep in mind that the panel and sounds are only in the C model and other models alias to that. And some common textures are different by model variant so watch out for those changes if you intend to combine.
There are also aircraft.cfg differences by model. Just a heads up.

Thanks for your interest.

gman5250
September 30th, 2017, 11:44
Well...

I couldn't resist doing one skin and a set of bumps for the G Model. The PK was just too irresistible.
WIP, but will be loaded here when I get the detail work refined.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4427/23567532668_09ffdbea1b_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4361/37388560172_32a097e6c7_o.jpg

Sundog
September 30th, 2017, 12:53
There's one other major problem with this beta; I can't seem to stop flying it! Seriously, I can't believe this is still considered a beta release (Although I do understand the options people would like implemented, Milton included; where's a good gauge programmer when you need one?). But this is such an awesome release, I'm flying it everywhere. It's a lot of fun to fly and it looks and sounds great. Thanks to everyone who made this happen (Edit: and thanks to all of the repainters out there adding more and more paint schemes)!

gray eagle
September 30th, 2017, 13:55
Well...

I couldn't resist doing one skin and a set of bumps for the G Model. The PK was just too irresistible.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4371/37157583380_07b5918c10_o.jpg

Looks pretty sharp Gordon. :untroubled:

Edit: I price checked your EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI SC2 11G P4 6593 KR..you made the A20 Vid with; Great Ceasar's Ghost! $700 - $1K -
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6593-KR

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 14:01
Shaping up very nicely G; should be a keeper. :-)

gman5250
September 30th, 2017, 14:11
Shaping up very nicely G; should be a keeper. :-)

I'm having so much fun, I'm playing hooky from my projects. :biggrin-new:

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 14:20
There's one other major problem with this beta; I can't seem to stop flying it! Seriously, I can't believe this is still considered a beta release (Although I do understand the options people would like implemented, Milton included; where's a good gauge programmer when you need one?). But this is such an awesome release, I'm flying it everywhere. It's a lot of fun to fly and it looks and sounds great. Thanks to everyone who made this happen (Edit: and thanks to all of the repainters out there adding more and more paint schemes)!

Paints/Paint Kit, Interior textures, cockpit and panel textures, gauge backgrounds = William "wellis" Ellis
Paints = Huub Vink and SteveB
Flight model = Tom Falley
Sounds = Nigel Richards
Model, panel gauges (inventory of Scott Thomas) and effects = M Shupe
XML coding = me, Spokes2112, and the good people at FSDeveloper

Of course as always, there were many here at SOH that participated in research, data collection, providing manuals and drawings.
Thanks especially to GLH for his early work on flight model data, and Larry Green for sharing some very helpful FSX material assistance during the Marauder project that got carried over to this one.

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 16:03
I'm having so much fun, I'm playing hooky from my projects. :biggrin-new:

Bad Boy! Bad Boy! :biggrin-new:

Seahawk72s
September 30th, 2017, 17:37
A helpful technique for those camo repaints...

Seahawk72s
September 30th, 2017, 18:13
VC lights for the pilot and gunner.
The bombardier bleeds thru so not so good...

light.9 = 4, 7.41, 0, 1.09, fx_vclight // Pilot
//light.10 = 4, 12.00, 0, -0.00, fx_vclight // Bombardier
light.11 = 4, -8.96, 0, 1.46, fx_vclight //Gunner

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2017, 19:26

Everyone has their preferences but if I were flying at night, I would not want those lights in my face.

I have night lighting built in to the cockpit and bombardier's area, plus all the instruments in both areas are backlit.

But from a spot view, it looks nice. :-)

Penzoil3
October 1st, 2017, 00:44
ROFLMAO! Love the camouflage paint technique! Now I know how to do it, tissue and tape. Of course! :applause:
LOL
Sue

Brian_Gladden
October 1st, 2017, 03:23
Speaking of Cammo... Is there an RAF Boston Mk. III Paint laying about anywhere? Looking for something in the "Regular" dark green/gray like on the Spits. D-Day stripes optional.

SteveB
October 1st, 2017, 03:35
Speaking of Cammo... Is there an RAF Boston Mk. III Paint laying about anywhere? Looking for something in the "Regular" dark green/gray like on the Spits. D-Day stripes optional.

I have a RN paint in those colours wouldn't take me long too RAF it up.

Steve

huub vink
October 1st, 2017, 07:04
All the repaints I did so far for the fs9 version, were originally done in 2048 x 2048 format. I'm currrently busy packing the FSX version of these textures in 2048 dds dtx5 format.

A small preview:

https://i.imgur.com/o3q82cU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0YCQoNF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Hrc7v5W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/r5Aftsx.jpg

Milton Shupe
October 1st, 2017, 07:51
Thank you Huub :applause:

stovall
October 1st, 2017, 08:05
Thanks Huub, eagerly awaiting their appearance in the Library.

Roger
October 1st, 2017, 09:26
Excellent!

Milton Shupe
October 1st, 2017, 10:11
Brought to my attention that I failed to high-lite how to open the rear gunner's canopy.

It is set to use the Tailhook command.

If you do not have that command assigned, I use the shift+Q to do it.

The tail gunner, guns, canopy, and swivel seat are animated depending on the model.
In the P-70 series, the radar/gunner swivels about to either operate the guns, or watch the radar.
In teh "C" series, he simply operates the gun when invoked.

Aircanuck
October 1st, 2017, 10:50
Brought to my attention that I failed to high-lite how to open the rear gunner's canopy.

It is set to use the Tailhook command.

If you do not have that command assigned, I use the shift+Q to do it.

The tail gunner, guns, canopy, and swivel seat are animated depending on the model.
In the P-70 series, the radar/gunner swivels about to either operate the guns, or watch the radar.
In teh "C" series, he simply operates the gun when invoked.

... this just gets better and better !!

gman5250
October 1st, 2017, 13:07
Oops.

Didn't know Huub had "Joker" in the queue. I don't want to swoop the teams work. Lots of other skins to be tackled. :untroubled:

wellis
October 1st, 2017, 14:18
[QUOTE=huub vink;1105280]All the repaints I did so far for the fs9 version, were originally done in 2048 x 2048 format. I'm currrently busy packing the FSX version of these textures in 2048 dds dtx5 format.

A small preview:

/QUOTE]

Thanks indeed Huub! could've sworn a replied to this earlier. Yay, in any case. :applause:

wellis
October 1st, 2017, 14:20
I have a RN paint in those colours wouldn't take me long too RAF it up.

Steve

Lovely Steve, just lovely!

wellis
October 1st, 2017, 14:21
Well...

Very nice, Gman - I look forward to the end result.

gman5250
October 1st, 2017, 22:28
Three caps from a short video work in progress, focusing on the A-20G. A rendering of "Joker" I put together for the video, prior to the release of the list of skins pending from the team. I may release it at a much later date, but for now it will remain in the hangar.

This is one fantastic paint kit. Kudos.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4472/37415599912_0cfeaa6c80_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4353/37415598382_7ea3647035_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4448/37415597312_b3fa3e941e_o.jpg

gray eagle
October 2nd, 2017, 05:18
Today, only one known A-20 remains airworthy, and it’s in Oshkosh already waiting for AirVenture.
Only 7,400 A-20s were produced, meaning the USSR ended up with nearly half.

Take the virtual tour of the A20 from inside the cockpit and in the Gunners station.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-museum/museum-exhibits/featured-exhibits/a20

gray eagle
October 2nd, 2017, 05:25
When taking the virtual tour ^ , if you view the back of the cockpit, click on the camera icon and it will show you the Gunners turret.

Mach3DS
October 2nd, 2017, 05:53
Gordon, just amazing work my friend! Great job!

PRB
October 2nd, 2017, 16:59
How come nobody ever posts pics from inside the cockpit? Does anyone actually fly these things anymore? This was my first view of this beautiful plane! Nice job, Milton and the A-20 team!

http://www.prbdatasystems.com/pics/a20_1.jpg

http://www.prbdatasystems.com/pics/a20_2.jpg

gman5250
October 2nd, 2017, 17:10
How come nobody ever posts pics from inside the cockpit? Does anyone actually fly these things anymore?

The video I posted devoted quite a bit of time to the office, covering power management, fuel management, cowl management, correct TO, approach and landing speeds, flaps, gear and mixture settings. At the same time flying the cameras, choreographing the cinematography, doing the navigation and trying to keep the airplane on the center lines in an eight knot crosswind.

Yeah...we still fly them. :encouragement:

Taco
October 2nd, 2017, 17:32
Yep, fly it a lot,

falcon409
October 2nd, 2017, 19:01
Something in my spare time. . .4096x4096 VC Textures. No idea when it will be done, but if someone else doesn't take them and redo them as well, then I'll upload these when completed.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/VC_Texture-2017-oct-3-001.jpg

Milton Shupe
October 2nd, 2017, 20:21
Something in my spare time. . .4096x4096 VC Textures. No idea when it will be done, but if someone else doesn't take them and redo them as well, then I'll upload these when completed.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/VC_Texture-2017-oct-3-001.jpg

Be a little slow on release of this Ed; a few things have changed in the text.

PM me for details.

PhantomTweak
October 2nd, 2017, 22:08
How come nobody ever posts pics from inside the cockpit? Does anyone actually fly these things anymore?
I sure fly this great, and beautiful plane! I enjoy the heck out of it. By the time I've done all the cockpit management tasks, and had a ton of fun flying it, I realize I didn't take any pictures.
I don't post many screenshots anyway. Mine never seem 1/2 as good as everyone else's, so I gave up on it, and just enjoy all the others :D

But all that's just me...

A question for Mr. Shupe, if I may: I thought I read in the documents included that it has auto-rich, auto-lean, full rich and so on. In other words, auto-mixture. Yet the plane doesn't have any sort of auto-mix, nor has it any emergency boost. Will those be incorporated, and I just need to wait, or are there no plans for such things? Just curious :)
Pat☺

Milton Shupe
October 3rd, 2017, 08:28
I sure fly this great, and beautiful plane! I enjoy the heck out of it. By the time I've done all the cockpit management tasks, and had a ton of fun flying it, I realize I didn't take any pictures.
I don't post many screenshots anyway. Mine never seem 1/2 as good as everyone else's, so I gave up on it, and just enjoy all the others :D

But all that's just me...

A question for Mr. Shupe, if I may: I thought I read in the documents included that it has auto-rich, auto-lean, full rich and so on. In other words, auto-mixture. Yet the plane doesn't have any sort of auto-mix, nor has it any emergency boost. Will those be incorporated, and I just need to wait, or are there no plans for such things? Just curious :)
Pat☺

Pat,

First, the flight model was built with auto-management of the low and high boost so the boost levers on the left are INOP.

Second, there is no FSX default mixture lever XML that provides for Auto Lean/Rich/Auto Rich/Off that I can find.
There is one set that indicates an auto/lean/rich setting based on lever positions up to 50%/over 50% but in trying that, using AFSD to monitor fuel/air mixture, that does not work.

So, for any available aircraft that are using an auto-setup, they must have custom coded the levers to set fuel/air mixture appropriate for power and density altitude settings.

Although I can do simple XML coding for many things, I do not have the XML coding ability personally to manage that kind of setup.

With that said, you will need to manage your mixture levers (assuming you do not use the sim's "auto mixture" option) to adjust the fuel/air mixture appropriate for conditions.

I use AFSD to monitor F/A ratio to .0830 for max efficiency for power and fuel consumption.

huub vink
October 3rd, 2017, 13:03
https://i.imgur.com/O69NABp.jpg

I have just uploaded a fix for the textures of "Queen Julia" which is included in the FSX beta package by Milton Shupe, Tom Falley, William Ellis, Roman Stoviak, Nigel Richards, Huub Vink, SteveB, Jan Visser and Bill Ortis.

Due to an error in the subfolder name the this repaint is not visible in FSX. One of the included textures was also saved in the wrong format.

The fix is available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=180&linkid=23048

As there are only black and white pictures available of this aircraft the background clour of the Queen Julia logo is unknow. Although a Dark Sea Grey background seems the more logical colour, it could also have been signal red. I have included an alternative texture for those who want to fly it with red logos.

Cheers,
Huub

https://i.imgur.com/yHLUFtu.jpg

jandjfrench
October 3rd, 2017, 15:15
Hi Huub,
It seems that your fix was already included in the latest release. I can't see any differences. I do not see an alternate texture in the "fix" download.
Jim F.

jandjfrench
October 3rd, 2017, 15:48
Hi again,
I don't know how I overlooked it but now I see the alt texture. I haven't checked further but at least I was wrong about that.
Jim F.

jandjfrench
October 3rd, 2017, 16:09
Hi once more,
The fix has corrected all. I didn't notice the incorrect texture previously. If I recall correctly there was an error in the texture name and when I corrected that all seemed appropriate. I just didn't check closely enough. And thank you!
Jim F.

Milton Shupe
October 3rd, 2017, 16:52
Hi once more,
The fix has corrected all. I didn't notice the incorrect texture previously. If I recall correctly there was an error in the texture name and when I corrected that all seemed appropriate. I just didn't check closely enough. And thank you!
Jim F.

I believe the original download of the texture folder was named texture_queen_julia which I corrected when testing it. As I recall there was one texture of a different final size or format.

That was corrected as well but I do not recall if I did that before or since the beta was released.

Anyhow, all good now.

And, I prefer the gray over the red. :-)

Thanks Huub :wavey:

huub vink
October 3rd, 2017, 22:20
In the version I had, the right wing texture was flipped and saved in .bmp format. and the texture subfolder was named "textures_Queen_Julia". So I must have downloaded the file before Milton made the correction.
As I was unaware that Milton had already done a correction, I thought is was appropriate to make a small fix available.

And I prefer the "dark sea grey" as well ;-).

Cheers,
Huub

Milton Shupe
October 4th, 2017, 04:31
In the version I had, the right wing texture was flipped and saved in .bmp format. and the texture subfolder was named "textures_Queen_Julia". So I must have downloaded the file before Milton made the correction.
As I was unaware that Milton had already done a correction, I thought is was appropriate to make a small fix available.

And I prefer the "dark sea grey" as well ;-).

Cheers,
Huub

Huub, you are correct. There's a reason I do not say, "If memory serves me correctly, ..." because it rarely does. LOL

ZsoltB
October 4th, 2017, 06:30
How can remove the pilot?

MrZippy
October 4th, 2017, 07:16

Sorry! Post deleted with respect to Milton's wishes!

Milton Shupe
October 4th, 2017, 07:25

The pilots/crew are removed by turning off the battery switch.

Milton Shupe
October 4th, 2017, 07:30
It's part of the model. If you replace the panel with another (keeping in mind that you will only have a 2D panel and probably cause problems),
that will remove the pilot in the outside view.

See post# 13 that shows the outside view with no pilot visible. I used the FS9 model with the FSX panel.

Sir, do not promote this approach. There are way too many issues associated with the mix and I do not want to support questions or issues from people who do this.

I do not recommend anyone try this. The FS9 panel is intertwined with model xml and sim interconnections and has code that only works with FS9.

The FSX side is very different. Avoid any mix/match.

As I said, the pilot/crew are hidden by turning off all power.

ZsoltB
October 4th, 2017, 21:14

:dizzy:

What do you mean?

ZsoltB
October 4th, 2017, 22:29

This was a question and no wish!
:wiggle:

MrZippy
October 5th, 2017, 03:37
:dizzy:

What do you mean?

I mean I respect Milton and He was requesting that I don't say anything about replacing things like the panel or changing out the model like I did
trying to get his great aircraft to run in my FSX with SP2!

Seems pretty clear to me!:very_drunk:

MrZippy
October 5th, 2017, 03:40
:wiggle:

"Sir, do not promote this approach." Does not seem like a question to me!:icon_question:

falcon409
October 5th, 2017, 03:50

Enough explanation both of you. . .szolt, you asked how the pilot could be removed. Milton gave the following answer:
"The pilots/crew are removed by turning off the battery switch". Beyond that simple answer there should be no other questions or further conversation. Lets move on!

MZee1960
October 6th, 2017, 17:15
Just downloaded into my FSX with SP 1 & 2.
Simple copy and paste install of files provided in download.
Everything so far working as intended.
Thank-you, Milton and co. for another great bird !

Love the glass shine effect esp. on the 'camo' model. :applause:

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/07/Dwm2017-10-0619-58-50-98.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/07/Dwm2017-10-0619-58-54-11.jpg

Milton Shupe
October 6th, 2017, 20:40

Glass courtesy of Tako_Kichi among a lot of other helpful FSX native tidbits and guidelines when I first started native FSX conversions. Thanks to Larry Green.

ZsoltB
October 6th, 2017, 22:33
Enough explanation both of you. . .szolt, you asked how the pilot could be removed. Milton gave the following answer:
"The pilots/crew are removed by turning off the battery switch". Beyond that simple answer there should be no other questions or further conversation. Lets move on!

Not disappeared crews
Any idea?

http://kephost.com/images/2017/10/07/2017-10-7_8-29-7-694.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2017/10/07/2017-10-7_8-28-25-481.jpg

MrZippy
October 7th, 2017, 04:37
Just downloaded into my FSX with SP 1 & 2.
Simple copy and paste install of files provided in download.
Everything so far working as intended.
Thank-you, Milton and co. for another great bird !

Love the glass shine effect esp. on the 'camo' model. :applause:

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/07/Dwm2017-10-0619-58-50-98.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/07/Dwm2017-10-0619-58-54-11.jpg

Well I'll be dipped! Could my problem in FSX SP1 and 2 be caused by my Texture setting to 1024?

Milton Shupe
October 7th, 2017, 04:50
Not disappeared crews
Any idea?

Yes, that switch is ON, not OFF. Up is the OFF position.

Milton Shupe
October 7th, 2017, 04:52
Well I'll be dipped! Could my problem in FSX SP1 and 2 be caused by my Texture setting to 1024?

Possibly, there are many textures that are 2048 or 4096.

MrZippy
October 7th, 2017, 05:10
Possibly, there are many textures that are 2048 or 4096.

Rats! No such luck! Tried it at 2048 and 4096 and aircraft set at ultra high settings with the shadows.

MZee1960
October 7th, 2017, 21:50
The video I posted devoted quite a bit of time to the office, covering power management, fuel management, cowl management, correct TO, approach and landing speeds, flaps, gear and mixture settings. At the same time flying the cameras, choreographing the cinematography, doing the navigation and trying to keep the airplane on the center lines in an eight knot crosswind.

Yeah...we still fly them. :encouragement:

Hi Gordon,
In your A20 video clip at around 18:30 you show a flyby with a wonderful dark smoke trail effect left behind by each one of the two engines.
https://youtu.be/6_6X7IZXPEA
Could you please share with us how this was done as there is no [smoke] section in the aircraft config, nor is there any fx file for it in the download that I can see ? :confused:

jandjfrench
October 8th, 2017, 00:28
Hi,
With the "C" I noticed the same thumbnail for 4 versions due to each version using a common texture folder with different models. Not a big thing but I prefer a different thumbnail for each version. I recalled seeing a Carenado aircraft that had thumbnais outside of the texture folders so I copied what they had done. As the info is not in the SDK I'm posting what I did here in case anyone else is unaware of this.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54664&stc=1

Jim F.

P.S. How can I prevent the "Attached image" from appearing in my reply?

Milton Shupe
October 8th, 2017, 04:40
Hi,
With the "C" I noticed the same thumbnail for 4 versions due to each version using a common texture folder with different models. Not a big thing but I prefer a different thumbnail for each version. I recalled seeing a Carenado aircraft that had thumbnails outside of the texture folders so I copied what they had done. As the info is not in the SDK I'm posting what I did here in case anyone else is unaware of this.

Jim F.

P.S. How can I prevent the "Attached image" from appearing in my reply?

Jim F,

My apologies; that beta was a little sloppy in that regard. We should have the final release ready by next weekend.

EDIT: If you select the boxes with the pictures, do not select Insert Inline, and vice versa.

gman5250
October 8th, 2017, 05:04
Hi Gordon,
In your A20 video clip at around 18:30 you show a flyby with a wonderful dark smoke trail effect left behind by each one of the two engines. Could you please share with us how this was done as there is no [smoke] section in the aircraft config, nor is there any fx file for it in the download that I can see ? :confused:

The smoke effect can be added to any airplane via the aircraft.cfg,
The effect is activated with a small xml-gauge I ran across here on SOH years ago. It still works very nicely in FSX and P3D, up to V4.

Link:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=14821&catid=118

The instructions are straightforward. The effect switches on above 60% throttle, so at TO and Climb Power, the effect is switched on. As power is rolled back to cruise, the smoke turns off. Trick.

The nice feature about this little gauge is the ability to point the gauge to any smoke effects you have installed in your Effects folder. This allows the user to point to a smoke effect most appropriate to the airplane model he is flying.

The SDK also allows the end user to create their own smoke effects if they so desire.

Milton Shupe
October 8th, 2017, 05:38
Thanks Gman; it's also here in the SOH library:

roger-wilco-66
October 8th, 2017, 06:44
Gordon, did you try that in P3D V4? I installed it and it basically works, but I only get a puff of smoke at the 60 percent mark. No steady stream as it was depicted in the video.

Cheers,
Mark

Milton Shupe
October 8th, 2017, 08:44
Decided to add a fresh early "G" model to the package sporting the 20mm cannons up front (as compared to the later mod that used the 4-50's).

EDIT: This is not a true early model as it has a turret versus the manual rear gun but it adds some flair.

gman5250
October 8th, 2017, 08:59
Gordon, did you try that in P3D V4? I installed it and it basically works, but I only get a puff of smoke at the 60 percent mark. No steady stream as it was depicted in the video.

Definitely works Mark, the video was shot in V4. I've got it working on most of my A-list planes there. If the airplane uses smoke effects to initiate wing or fuselage guns, some .xml mods are required, otherwise you will see continuous gunfire and engine smoke.

I haven't seen the single puff though. Post up that chunk of the aircraft.cfg.

gman5250
October 8th, 2017, 12:08
Thanks Gman; it's also here in the SOH library:

The smoke rounds out the package nicely. :encouragement:

magoo
October 8th, 2017, 22:29
(A little in-theme interlude...)

While reading up on the 47th BG in North Africa & Italy, I came across this video at Youtube. A little over five minutes, the first half is shot from the gunner's position, looks to me like they're over Sicily, or the East Coast of a very Southern Italy. Check out the weaving, the flak, and what looks like a decent impact mark right on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. That little crater isn't present at the beginning of the show, but it is a couple of minutes in.

The second half is an inspection of an A-20 (Pauline, No.44) that's returned home with a lot (LOT) of flak damage. Early in the video, you can see No.44 flying right next to the camera ship. They're all collecting metal.

One tough plane. Greatest respect for the young fellows who were aboard her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fzhALr6x-I

MZee1960
October 9th, 2017, 17:15
The smoke effect can be added to any airplane via the aircraft.cfg,
The effect is activated with a small xml-gauge I ran across here on SOH years ago. It still works very nicely in FSX and P3D, up to V4.

Link:

The instructions are straightforward. The effect switches on above 60% throttle, so at TO and Climb Power, the effect is switched on. As power is rolled back to cruise, the smoke turns off. Trick.

The nice feature about this little gauge is the ability to point the gauge to any smoke effects you have installed in your Effects folder. This allows the user to point to a smoke effect most appropriate to the airplane model he is flying.

The SDK also allows the end user to create their own smoke effects if they so desire.

Thank-you, Gordon, for the quick reply and the link.

Everything works fine, but I too found the smoke effect included in this link a bit too 'thin' for my taste ........

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/10/Dwm2017-10-0919-54-16-08.jpg

.... so I modified it with another one (fx_smoke_f6) which gives much better result IMHO .....

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/10/Dwm2017-10-0919-54-19-21.jpg

Probably more similar to yours in the video. :encouragement:

Cheers,
MZ.

MZee1960
October 9th, 2017, 17:30

Tried this effect and seems to work well.
Brightens up the VC especially when flying with the sun in your face.
It does not seem to change things much at night and VC remains dimly lit - probably a good thing for outward visibility.
A nice addition IMHO. Note how it brings out the depth of the gauges, rivets etc. :encouragement:

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/10/Dwm2017-10-0919-54-09-43.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/10/Dwm2017-10-0919-54-12-71.jpg

MZee1960
October 9th, 2017, 17:40
I just noticed that the left wing light bleeds through the wing when viewed from the VC.

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/10/Dwm2017-10-0919-54-22-49.md.jpg (http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GBcF)

MZee1960
October 9th, 2017, 18:15
I could be wrong, but it seems this AC is set up for ground steering via differential brakes as per the [contact points] section of the config file.
This can sometimes make it a bit more difficult for those with a regular joystick controller.
Those with joystick controllers, might wish to try this for easier, (although perhaps not as realistic) ground steering -

In the aircraft config, find this section :

[contact_points]
max_number_of_points =3

static_pitch= 4.01
static_cg_height= 6.800
gear_system_type =1
tailwheel_lock=0
point.0= 1, 10.833, 0.000, -7.678, 1800, 0, 0.916, 180.000, 0.220, 2.500, 0.900, 3.000, 3.000, 0, 150.0, 236.0
point.1= 1, -2.762, -8.244, -7.403, 1800, 1, 1.833, 0.000, 0.833, 1.499, 0.900, 9.000, 9.000, 2, 150.0, 236.0
point.2= 1, -2.762, 8.244, -7.403, 1800, 2, 1.833, 0.000, 0.833, 1.499, 0.900, 10.000, 10.000, 3, 150.0, 236.0

...and try changing the 180.000 above to 45.000.

Position 8 in line 'point.0=' refers to the steering angle, or the maximum angle (positive and negative) that a wheel can pivot (degrees), with 180.000 denoting free-castoring.

gman5250
October 9th, 2017, 18:35
... I modified it with another one (fx_smoke_f6) which gives much better result IMHO .....

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/10/Dwm2017-10-0919-54-19-21.jpg

Big improvement.

HU for everyone:
Any smoke effect in your effects folder can be used with this tweak. Just be sure to use effects designed for engine or prop smoke.

ZsoltB
October 10th, 2017, 04:48
A-20G High resolution paintkit available?

MrZippy
October 10th, 2017, 06:30
While still trying to work out some issues with this aircraft, I thought adding a little "bang for the buck" would be worthwhile. I still need to add the two lower guns but it still looks OK.
Sorry for dropping the brass on the ground!

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 07:32
I could be wrong, but it seems this AC is set up for ground steering via differential brakes as per the [contact points] section of the config file.
This can sometimes make it a bit more difficult for those with a regular joystick controller.
Those with joystick controllers, might wish to try this for easier, (although perhaps not as realistic) ground steering -

In the aircraft config, find this section :

[contact_points]
max_number_of_points =3

static_pitch= 4.01
static_cg_height= 6.800
gear_system_type =1
tailwheel_lock=0
point.0= 1, 10.833, 0.000, -7.678, 1800, 0, 0.916, 180.000, 0.220, 2.500, 0.900, 3.000, 3.000, 0, 150.0, 236.0
point.1= 1, -2.762, -8.244, -7.403, 1800, 1, 1.833, 0.000, 0.833, 1.499, 0.900, 9.000, 9.000, 2, 150.0, 236.0
point.2= 1, -2.762, 8.244, -7.403, 1800, 2, 1.833, 0.000, 0.833, 1.499, 0.900, 10.000, 10.000, 3, 150.0, 236.0

...and try changing the 180.000 above to 45.000.

Position 8 in line 'point.0=' refers to the steering angle, or the maximum angle (positive and negative) that a wheel can pivot (degrees), with 180.000 denoting free-castoring.

Good point MZee. Just as a matter of interest, the RW aircraft, although castoring, was limited to 35 degrees nose wheel turn. So, the 45 could be changed to 35.

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 07:36
A-20G High resolution paintkit available?

Yes, one for each model type. See here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=88393&sort=d

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 07:37
I just noticed that the left wing light bleeds through the wing when viewed from the VC.

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/10/Dwm2017-10-0919-54-22-49.md.jpg (http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GBcF)

That taxi light was temporary has been eliminated as it did not "light the ground".

The final release coming shortly replaces that with a proper light and it works just right.

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 07:41
While still trying to work out some issues with this aircraft, I thought adding a little "bang for the buck" would be worthwhile. I still need to add the two lower guns but it still looks OK.
Sorry for dropping the brass on the ground!

Happy to see you having fun with the Havoc Sir :-)

ZsoltB
October 10th, 2017, 07:44
Yes, one for each model type. See here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=88393&sort=d

Thank you!

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 09:05
Just added turret animation to the FSX "G" package and finished testing.

I have it animated in flight above 125 knots.

The animation is subtle, not annoying.
All the "G" variants will have it except maybe the ferry/long range tank version.

Anyone want to comment on this before I add to all the "G" models is welcome to voice your preference or opinion.

MrZippy
October 10th, 2017, 09:12

All the "G" variants will have it except maybe the ferry/long range tank version.

Anyone want to comment on this before I add to all the "G" models is welcome to voice your preference or opinion.

Looks good to me, Milton! Just Hope I get a chance to see it!:banghead:

Aircanuck
October 10th, 2017, 09:18

Any animation is always appreciated, no easy task I'm sure !

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 09:26
Looks good to me, Milton! Just Hope I get a chance to see it!:banghead:

Not sure what that means but it will be available as soon as our details are finalized.

Any animation is always appreciated, no easy task I'm sure !

Well, for an xml novice like me, it is sometimes a struggle getting custom features to work, but with the help of the good folks at FSDeveloper, I have it working properly now. Lots of hours scratching head, modifying, exporting and testing. :-)

MrZippy
October 10th, 2017, 09:36
Not sure what that means but it will be available as soon as our details are finalized.

It just means I'm still fighting the missing front gun muzzles, cockpit glass, and rear turret plexiglass and guns. Tried maxing out all Settings/Customize for Aircraft, Texture_max_load to 2048 and 4096 and a new FSX.cfg. All of your other aircraft that I have show perfectly fine, C-47 v.2 and v3.14, Dash-7, XP-47J. The only thing I don't have for my Sim is DX-10 (not available).

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 09:58
It just means I'm still fighting the missing front gun muzzles, cockpit glass, and rear turret plexiglass and guns. Tried maxing out all Settings/Customize for Aircraft, Texture_max_load to 2048 and 4096 and a new FSX.cfg. All of your other aircraft that I have show perfectly fine, C-47 v.2 and v3.14, Dash-7, XP-47J. The only thing I don't have for my Sim is DX-10 (not available).

Ah yes, I forgot. You have FSX Sp1 without Acceleration? Not sure why the guns would be an issue as I believe that is a DXT1 texture, no alpha. The other issues may be a simple video card overload or settings issue.

EDIT: We will probably make 2048's available in DDS/DXT5 for those who need them. My video card is challenged a bit with the 4096's when I am changing through all the aircraft in testing. Ugh!
If people need or prefer 2048's, they need to speak up before we assemble the final release.

MrZippy
October 10th, 2017, 10:18
Ah yes, I forgot. You have FSX Sp1 without Acceleration?

Actually SP1 and SP2. Interesting that MZee1960 in post#106 has SP1 and SP2. I wonder if he has Deluxe while I have Standard? I'm sure it's my Sim and not the aircraft that has the problem!

MZee1960
October 10th, 2017, 12:40
Actually SP1 and SP2. Interesting that MZee1960 in post#106 has SP1 and SP2. I wonder if he has Deluxe while I have Standard? I'm sure it's my Sim and not the aircraft that has the problem!

Yes. I have the boxed FSX Deluxe Edition with SP 1 & 2.

Good point MZee. Just as a matter of interest, the RW aircraft, although castoring, was limited to 35 degrees nose wheel turn. So, the 45 could be changed to 35.

Thank-you, Milton, for pin-pointing it down. I just was not sure what this RW aircraft turning radius was - so took a guess at 45.

That taxi light was temporary has been eliminated as it did not "light the ground".

The final release coming shortly replaces that with a proper light and it works just right.

Thank-you. I disabled it for now on my download. Pleased to know the 'fix' is coming.

MrZippy
October 10th, 2017, 13:29
Yes. I have the boxed FSX Deluxe Edition with SP 1 & 2.

Wonder what the difference is between our Sims and why the aircraft shows normally for you?

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2017, 15:39
Wonder what the difference is between our Sims and why the aircraft shows normally for you?

Are all the models being shown with the same issues?

Have you tried any of the uploaded textures by SteveB or Huub Vink? Same issues?

wellis
October 10th, 2017, 16:21
Ah yes, I forgot. You have FSX Sp1 without Acceleration? Not sure why the guns would be an issue as I believe that is a DXT1 texture, no alpha. The other issues may be a simple video card overload or settings issue.

EDIT: We will probably make 2048's available in DDS/DXT5 for those who need them. My video card is challenged a bit with the 4096's when I am changing through all the aircraft in testing. Ugh!
If people need or prefer 2048's, they need to speak up before we assemble the final release.

Hi Milton and friends, you may want to hold off on doing your conversions as I am doing them in 2048 dds/dxt5 for all of the liveries I am providing so that the final may be released with them rather than the 4096 versions currently in the beta. I will put links up after release for those that would rather have the 4096.

MZee1960
October 10th, 2017, 17:18

I strongly believe that you should be able to run this AC on any version of FSX as the 'base' sim is the same, especially if you have SP 1&2 installed. The intent of SP1 and SP2 was to provide 'fixes' for issues which surfaced after initial release.
The Acceleration pack simply was an add-on to FSX which contained the code from both service packs and added some new scenery, aircraft and multiplayer capabilities - none of which relates to why you have issues with some AC textures in your sim. I have tried AC specifically for Acceleration and they show up OK (look complete), but are not fully functioning - ie. no response with some clickspots in VC, no HUD in jets, non-functioning guns, missiles etc. Needless to say, I didn't keep them around for long. In other words, textures show up 100%, but functionality falls short of 100% if you're downloading mainly military jets into FSX without Acceleration.

Which brings me to my final point - what does your FSX setup look like ? Everyone's sim will be different as over the years everyone will have tried countless 'new' addons, only to be bored with them a few days later and delete them. This sometimes will lead to 'leftovers' left behind to add clutter to the sim, all of which just creates some added confusion when the program tries to load up new textures etc. for a new flight. FSX config file is another issue which comes up over and over again - do you have many 'tweaks' ? I personally found out that more tweaks is not necessarily better. Highmemfix is a must, rest are really not that crucial.

I would try to do a FSX & computer system cleanup/check as the next step :

1) Make a backup copy of the FSX config file and save it to a folder on your desktop (just in case) , delete the one you have inside FSX - next time you run FSX - a new one will be built automatically.
2) Go thru the Effects folder and delete any effects you know relate to any aircraft, boats etc. which you no longer have installed in FSX.
3) Follow Paul Anderson's method outlined in the link (below) to get rid of any leftover textures from addons you no longer have installed -
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/76686-re-FSX-cleanup
4) Run your default disk cleanup utility on your operating system.
5) Go to Piriform site, and if you don't have it already, download and run the free CCleaner utility - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
6) Run a background check for malware using the free Malwarebytes, or similar program - https://www.malwarebytes.com/
7) If you have the old fashioned spinning hard drive only (not solid state) - defragment it, and ask it to get rid of 'junk files' as well. I use SmartDefrag Free - https://www.iobit.com/en/iobitsmartdefrag.php

See if that helps - sometimes it's the strangest things which prevent others from installing and running properly.

Good Luck,
MZ.

ZsoltB
October 10th, 2017, 23:20
http://kephost.com/images/2017/10/11/2017-10-11_8-45-26-914.jpg

Download:
https://ufile.io/d6y0q

MrZippy
October 11th, 2017, 04:44
@MZee1960

Thanks for the reply. A lot of that seems fairly drastic. I have also downloaded and flown many of Dino's Acceleration aircraft with some of the minor difficulties you have experienced. They all looked good as well as all of Milton's aircraft (with the exception of this one). I am on a low-end computer running XP (OK, everyone all cringe at once!):dizzy: I just found it strange that the C-47 v.3.14, with the upgraded cockpit lighting mod, loads up perfectly and looks spectacular.

I might experiment by making a new folder for Effects and leave it empty. This should eliminate any effect from interfering. This will be a process of trial and error!:encouragement:

I have also been getting a weird memory error when doing some downloads so I have just ordered some new memory. After installing I will re-download the A-20 and see what it looks like.

Milton Shupe
October 11th, 2017, 06:38
@MZee1960

Thanks for the reply. A lot of that seems fairly drastic. I have also downloaded and flown many of Dino's Acceleration aircraft with some of the minor difficulties you have experienced. They all looked good as well as all of Milton's aircraft (with the exception of this one). I am on a low-end computer running XP (OK, everyone all cringe at once!):dizzy: I just found it strange that the C-47 v.3.14, with the upgraded cockpit lighting mod, loads up perfectly and looks spectacular.

I might experiment by making a new folder for Effects and leave it empty. This should eliminate any effect from interfering. This will be a process of trial and error!:encouragement:

I have also been getting a weird memory error when doing some downloads so I have just ordered some new memory. After installing I will re-download the A-20 and see what it looks like.

I plan to release the Gold version this weekend so you might want to wait for that; a lot of changes.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I too am running Win/XP for my development and FS9/FSX machine using FSXA.

MrZippy
October 11th, 2017, 06:58
I plan to release the Gold version this weekend so you might want to wait for that; a lot of changes.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I too am running Win/XP for my development and FS9/FSX machine using FSXA.

Thanks, Milton. Will do!:applause:

MZee1960
October 12th, 2017, 17:01
@MZee1960

Hi,

No problem, just trying to help out, based on my own experiences from the past.
I still would highly recommend Malwarebytes Free, if nothing else, to eliminate the possibility of any background unwanted program from slowing down and preventing new software from downloading and running properly.

Ultimately the decision is yours to make, and regardless of your choice I wish you good luck and certainly hope you can get this beautiful aircraft fully operational on your system. :encouragement:
Cheers,
MZ.

MZee1960
October 12th, 2017, 22:05
Thank-you, Milton and co. :applause:

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/13/Dwm2017-10-1300-52-23-04.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/10/13/Dwm2017-10-1300-52-26-41.jpg

Thank-you, 'zsoltquack' for this great repaint !

Bjoern
October 13th, 2017, 13:15
Any texture related to gauge polys ([Vcockpit]) is displayed at 1024x1024 resolution at a maximum. So there's not much point in trying to go beyond.

Milton Shupe
October 13th, 2017, 15:52
Thank-you, Milton and co. :applause:

Thank-you, 'zsoltquack' for this great repaint !

U R welcome Sir.

Not, I could fly that ... ! :pop4: