PDA

View Full Version : cfg file won't open

Cees Donker
September 24th, 2017, 02:48
At Flightsim.com I downloaded the Pilatus Porter from Tim Conrad. Strangely the cfg file won't open. When I finally succeeded to open it with a workaround, It's also impossible to add other repaints.

:dizzy:

Help!

Cees

Dimus
September 24th, 2017, 02:57
I have downloaded mine from flightsim.com and it works fine.

stansdds
September 24th, 2017, 03:21
If FSX is installed into the default C:/Programs directory under Windows Vista or later, modifying cfg files can be next to impossible unless you disable Windows UAC (User Account Control).

Cees Donker
September 24th, 2017, 03:49
I can modify any file with the cfg extension, except for this one. Word freezes with the opening of this cfg file.

:dizzy:

Cees

Roger
September 24th, 2017, 04:28
Cees, UAC off and use I notepad.

Dimus
September 24th, 2017, 04:45
As Roger says, try notepad. I emailed you mine just in case.

Cees Donker
September 24th, 2017, 06:44
Yes, that helped!

Thanks gentlemen!

Cheers,

Cees

PhantomTweak
September 24th, 2017, 10:46
One should never, ever, use Word for editing .cfg files of any sort. It adds symbols that can render the file useless to the sim.
One should only use things like Notepad, which comes with Windows, or NotePad++, a freeware program readily available and very useful for many different kinds of files.
Of course, turning UAC off for such files is critical.
Another thing, one should always be backed up before any editing is done, of any kind. I always make a copy of the original, un-edited file before I ever even look at it. Justin Case :D

Enjoy!
Pat☺

Bjoern
September 24th, 2017, 11:30
Notepad2 is in between Notepad and Notepad++ in terms of complexity. It also adds syntax coloring, so that, e.g. section headers are easier to spot.