PDA

View Full Version : Ouch ...

PeteHam
September 23rd, 2017, 11:27
The unthinkable happened.

After I had several computer issues which happened in quick succession, it required a reformat to fix the problem.

But due to the fact that I couldn't back up anything to an external HD at that time, I've lost pretty much all my FSX:SE files. All except my pay ware aircraft which were already saved off my computer.

Now the long road ahead to reinstall aircraft and scenery etc.

Several things I'm looking for help with though ....

What's that little file which enhances the metal shine on aircraft ?

What's the user security fix in Win 7 to allow me to alter aircraft cfg,s etc.

Thanks for any help.

Pete.

PS: must remember to back up regularly.

Daube
September 23rd, 2017, 11:35
Sorry for your complete reinstall :/
For Windows, you have to deactivate (i.e set the slider to minimum) the UAC (User Account Control) in the control panel security options.
For the metal, you're looking for Bananabob's envmap. File name is something like globalenvtest.zip...

hairyspin
September 23rd, 2017, 12:57
If you're going to edit aircraft configs and other such, the best thing with Win7, 8, 10 is to not accept the default install for FS and put it outside Program Files or Program Files (x86) – I use C:\Flight Simulator X.

Bjoern
September 23rd, 2017, 13:30
The risk of crashes or reinstalls is exactly why I'm keeping as many add-ons as possible on a separate disk partition and out of the main FSX folder.

If you're reinstalling, do yourself a favor and set up a custom folder structure for add-on sceneries and aircraft.
Managing the scenery.cfg is quite easy when using SCE. https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

And external aircraft folders are supported in the FSX.cfg (SimObjectPaths lines).

I even go so far as to reorganize the handling of gauge files to keep as many out of FSX\Gauges as possible. It's a bit complicated when Doug Dawson's sound gauge is involved since a lot of devs don't know that more up to date versions can also handle relative paths instead of absolute ones and therefor, a bit of panel.cfg, sound.ini and other editing is required.

Wish this was also possible with effects files, but that behaviour has only been improved from P3Dv3 onward.

You can also use symbolic links (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/) to the location of the actual installation folder for add-ons. I've only used this to fool the WOAI installer, but it might even work for the effects folder and other add-ons.

PeteHam
September 23rd, 2017, 23:28
Thanks Guys :applause:

I've found Bananabob's envmap, that certainly makes a difference.

But I'm still having issues with aircraft not showing in the aircraft selection. As far as I understand I've selected full permission to select and change settings etc in the UAC (User Account Control).

I've double checked the aircraft cfg for all the pitfalls of incorrect entries etc but this one's got me beat.

I'll sleep on it tonight and tackle it again tomorrow.

Pete.

Roger
September 24th, 2017, 04:32
Pete, have you checked the "Show all aircraft" for the selection menu?

PeteHam
September 24th, 2017, 12:22
Ooooops :banghead:

Things just went from bad to worse.

I started fiddling with the Folder Properties Security panel ..... now no addon aircraft show
As they say ... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Back to see if I can undo my stuff up.

Pete

PeteHam
September 24th, 2017, 20:28
YAY

I deleted and reinstalled Steam and all is back to normal :jump:

I'm a happy chappy now.

Thanks to those who helped. :ernaehrung004:

Pete.

vortex
September 25th, 2017, 03:57
For Windows, you have to deactivate (i.e set the slider to minimum) the UAC (User Account Control) in the control panel security options...

This is not true (nor is it a good idea IMHO). I have UAC on and have no problems in Windows 10 (or in Windows 7 previously).

mal998
September 25th, 2017, 05:01
A couple of thoughts. First of all, when trouble strikes you can sometimes use the Restore function to roll Windows back to a prior date (provided the Restore function was turned on) before the trouble began. Second, huge external drives that have TB's of space are available for very affordable prices. A huge external drive allows you to back up literally everything flight sim related so you never have to lose another file. My system runs 8 drives that have every flight sim file I ever downloaded. OK, it's true I am a little OCD impaired. :dizzy: But after losing a drive with all my Pilot's Manuals I swore it would never allow that to happen again. Plus which, it cost me a whole lot more to have that data retrieved than it would have if I had backed it up to an external drive. Lesson learned.