PDA

View Full Version : I guess they'll be put in service

war.ace
February 12th, 2009, 11:15
"The first three squadrons of F-35s -- with at least 59 aircraft -- will be formed at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., between 2010, when the first aircraft arrives, and mid-2013 when No. 60 is due.
Of the three training squadrons to be stood up, one will be U.S. Air Force with 24 conventional takeoff aircraft, one will be Marine Corps with 20 short-takeoff-and-vertical-landing aircraft and the last, with 15 aircraft, will belong to the Navy.
The Air Force's bed-down decision involves temporary operational limitations on flight training to minimize noise impact in the nearby town of Valparaiso. Meanwhile, supplemental environmental studies will be conducted as the Air Force works on a final study on F-35 noise.
Details have yet to be pinned down, but the Joint Strike Fighter is expected to be louder than the F-15 and F-16 and about the same as the F/A-18E/Fs and F-22s, says USAF Maj. Gen. Charles Davis, the current F-35 program manager and the incoming commander of Eglin's Air Armament Center.
As part of a two-tier, environmental agreement -- after the first 59 aircraft are in place -- the Navy and the local community will consider increasing the number of F-35 training aircraft on the base to 113, according to Davis. Along with the integrated pilot school house, all JSF maintenance training will be conducted at Eglin.
The first Marine aircraft arrives in 2011. The fleet is expected to grow at the rate of about one per month. By 2014 the unit also will begin establishing its relationship with the Air Armament Center where the armed service develops its new kinetic and non-kinetic weapons and studies the introduction of new missions. For example, all initial F-35 Block 0.5 aircraft, because of their advanced electronically scanned array radars, will arrive capable of training for cruise-missile defense, Davis says.
To keep down the noise impact for Valparaiso, operations will be largely restricted to Eglin's East-West runway. Later, the North-South runway may be re-oriented away from the town and extended to the south to allow limited use, according to Kathleen Ferguson, deputy assistant secretary for installations.
If the number of training aircraft isn't allowed to expand, the Corps will likely establish its own flight training center at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C. The first F-35 operations base will be established by the Marines in 2013, Davis says."

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,184500,00.html?ESRC=airforce-a.nl

I wish I was in one of those squadrons

SolarEagle
February 12th, 2009, 11:39
Wow I can't believe it's louder than an F-15. I don't even see how an F/A-18 can be louder than a 15.

SkippyBing
February 12th, 2009, 13:25
Bizarrely I think it's because the engines are more efficient. Most of the noise from a jet is due to the heat from the exhaust causing expansion of the surrounding air, note it's the Super Hornet that's louder than a F-15. not the legacy version. Typhoon is similarly ridiculously loud. Although I reckon a Spey Phantom in afterburner still takes the biscuit.

Guruswarmyoz
February 12th, 2009, 21:17
Amazing for a stealth aircraft, you'll be able to hear it coming before you can see it on radar!!!!!!! :)

Bjoern
February 13th, 2009, 03:01
Although I reckon a Spey Phantom in afterburner still takes the biscuit.

I bet my bum that anything the russians ever sent skywards is ten times louder than that. ;) :d

will_b
February 13th, 2009, 04:07
I'm out along the flight line at Cherry Point quite often and get to see the whole assortment of Marine jets along with the occasional F-15 from Seymour Johnson. To me the loudest of them all are the EA-6B's, they'll leave your ears ringing after a fly over.

kilo delta
February 13th, 2009, 04:25
You want LOUD??......... you should hear Mrs.KD when we get our credit card statement!! :help::kiss:

NCGent
February 13th, 2009, 05:20
Just saw on the new a few days ago that Cherry Point (Marine Corps Air Base very close to me:wiggle:) will get 3 squadrons in the next few years.

GT182
February 13th, 2009, 05:51
Is the F-35 louder than a Mig 21 or 23?

KD, mines the same way...you are not alone. ;) And she's louder than the 2 I mentioned above. That's with both of them taking off at the same time.