PDA

View Full Version : Firefighting aircraft

Slund
February 12th, 2009, 10:50
I have recently starting using FSX on a regular basis and was wondering if there were any aircraft available (freeware of payware, preferably FSX native) that have been or are currently used as firefighting aircraft. I have downloaded Piglets M-18 and SimOuthouses A26 but haven't found much else. If your reading this Piglet, your M-18 is a hoot to fly on fires, thanks for such a great aircraft.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3270562893_d5459a508f_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3342/3271377724_155f2e3534_b.jpg

Warrant
February 12th, 2009, 10:58
Try KBT's P3 Orion Aero Union (originally a FS9 bird, but they did some nice updates for FSX)

Really a winner aircraft. Daisuke's Orion series (and his other birds) are all jewels!

http://www.flightinfo.jp/FS_KBT/dai.htm

:wavey:

war.ace
February 12th, 2009, 11:18
You can put out fires in fsx?:faint:

Warrant
February 12th, 2009, 11:27
You can put out fires in fsx?:faint:

Yes you can; just deactivate any add-on scenery containing fire.

Seriously; i think it is very much (of not existent yet, but Slund's first screenie gives hope) possible with FSX missions. Have not seen/tried one but a firm search at AVSIM or Flightsim.com might give results.
Perhaps it is already included in the default FSX missions (depending on the version you operate).

Nice Screenshots B.T.W., Slund

:Banane21:

ColoKent
February 12th, 2009, 12:11
....but if AlphaSim had built a variant of their P2V-7 simply without the large search radar on the belly, and minus tips tanks, we would have had a smashing fire bomber....

But they didn't!

I still think their Nep is one of the best airplanes they had put out to date...would love to see them update it....but it ain't gonna happen.

Kent

Boomer
February 12th, 2009, 12:25
Creating fires & subsequently putting them out is very easy with the Mission engine.

pointy31
February 12th, 2009, 12:59
Shawn, there is a French website that I ran across a few days/daze ago that has a turbine powered Grumman S2 Firecat.

http://restauravia.com/page10.html

pointy31
February 12th, 2009, 13:27
A quick screenie, in FSX...

war.ace
February 12th, 2009, 13:36
can you actualy collect water from lakes and rivers with those planes?(when in fsx)

Slund
February 12th, 2009, 14:56
Thanks guys, those are great planes and I've used them all in FS9 on a regular basis but I was hoping for some FSX native aircraft. I haven't had much luck with porting over aircraft and getting decent frame rates? but I'll have to give these a try. You can't put fires out in FSX unless you in a mission (or at least I haven't figured it out) those screenshots are some fire effects I have been working on and a retardant drop effect by JD_Edmond that stays visible on the ground long after the drop is made. It makes fighting fire in multiplayer a great deal of fun.:woot:

ColoKent
February 12th, 2009, 15:24
....in HIGH detail are the CL-215 and CL-415 "Super Scoopers" (yes, I know Massimo Taccali built versions of these a few years ago, but I'd like to see them done with today's technology.)

Kent

gigabyte
February 12th, 2009, 15:27
Slund,

I really like the CL215, I am pretty sure it is a port over but it works extremely well in FSX and Acceleration. There are some excellent effects and great anaminations, if you want to try it check for the file MT_Cl-215fsx.zip at www.flightsim.com (http://www.flightsim.com) and www.simviation.com (http://www.simviation.com). It is listed as FSX, but like I said it may be a port over, if it is I can't tell the difference on my rig (performance wise) between this and a native FSX bird. Regardless it is an excellent aircraft, the VC is not Payware quality but it is pretty darn good and the 2d is as good as the default FSX aircraft.

I especially like the Newfoundland & Labrador paint, I live in NB but get to Newfie fairly often so I see the real thing from time to time.

Boomer
February 12th, 2009, 15:51
can you actualy collect water from lakes and rivers with those planes?(when in fsx)

Yes you can.

Basically you specify an area for water collection in the mission & set an "add payload" to it. That way when you fly over that area provided you are low enough (you can also set a boolean operation so that you are slow enough) the payload will be added (the water) along with a weight increase.

Javis
February 13th, 2009, 05:07
Already a year or two ago i forked out a demilitarized firefighter version of our ( Maam-Sim) B-25 but since we couldn't find a way to actually kill the fire once the retardant was dropped onto it we decided not to release this version. What's the use of a firefighter when it can't do its job, éh ? ... :rolleyes:

We WILL have a native FSX B-25 version to look forward to, once it will indeed prove that actually killing a fire in FSX is possible via a mission(s) we'll sure be on it ! ( possibly for the Turkey as well)

Personally i think it would be really great to be able to play firefighter pilot in FSX. Load up retardant at the station, get directed to the fire via radio, choose best direction for approach according to wind ( if not you'll fail to put the fire out ), drop your retardant, get kudos or flamed by the groundcrew radio, if latter return to station, load up another load, go back and try again until succeeded. Special assignment during training : find John Goodman who's sitting on top of a hill underneath an umbrella sipping a beer and cover him and his umbrella in retardant.

Yep, looking forward to that. :friday:

At Reading we lit up a fire next to the runway and did some test runs with the firefighting Mitchell. Great fun but the fire is still burning... :rapture:

Cheers,
Jan

http://fssupport.com/maam/btffr1.jpg

http://fssupport.com/maam/btffr2.jpg

http://fssupport.com/maam/btffr3.jpg

http://fssupport.com/maam/btffr4.jpg

http://fssupport.com/maam/btffr5.jpg

http://fssupport.com/maam/btffr7.jpg

http://fssupport.com/maam/btffr8.jpg

pernik
February 13th, 2009, 06:42
Alphasim did a Martin Mars in waterbomber colours. It's an oldish model so may not be upto their current standard but it's full FSX and a hoot to fly.

war.ace
February 13th, 2009, 10:19
cool! where can I download these missions?

djscoo
February 13th, 2009, 10:29
Alphasim did a Martin Mars in waterbomber colours. It's an oldish model so may not be upto their current standard but it's full FSX and a hoot to fly.
They actually updated it, the external bump mapping looks great on it, the VC is basic, but if you like the Mars this is a must buy.

N332DW
February 13th, 2009, 13:06
there is a really nice multi-stage fire mission over at FSXMissions.com called "Oregan Ablaze"
you put out several fires rescue a smoke jumper and there are some AI -26's that also help with the fire

you fly a Huey with a dipper by default

papab
February 13th, 2009, 16:31
I have recently starting using FSX on a regular basis and was wondering if there were any aircraft available (freeware of payware, preferably FSX native) that have been or are currently used as firefighting aircraft. I have downloaded Piglets M-18 and SimOuthouses A26 but haven't found much else. If your reading this Piglet, your M-18 is a hoot to fly on fires, thanks for such a great aircraft.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3270562893_d5459a508f_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3342/3271377724_155f2e3534_b.jpg
TRY THIS FREEEWARE SITE-YOU NEED TO REGISTER AND IT IS FREE
http://www.freewebs.com/wreckerman/WEBPROTECT-norcalfirefighters.htm

SkippyBing
February 13th, 2009, 16:56
TRY THIS FREEEWARE SITE-YOU NEED TO REGISTER AND IT IS FREE

Yes and he happily uploads other people's aircraft without permission, or indeed all the required files. There's nothing there you can't get anywhere else that isn't infringing copyright.

papab
February 13th, 2009, 18:06
Yes and he happily uploads other people's aircraft without permission, or indeed all the required files. There's nothing there you can't get anywhere else that isn't infringing copyright.

Please explain yourself....

SkippyBing
February 13th, 2009, 18:25
At the bottom of his list of WW2 aircraft you'll find the aircraft that appears in my signature. Neither I nor any one else involved in it's creation gave permission for it to be made available via that website, as required by the EULA. In addition to that the file he's made available is a zip of the aircraft folder, missing out on a number of required components that are installed by the installation routine I compiled to make it easy in the first place. He then uploaded it to a number of other websites resulting in a steady stream of e-mails asking why certain functions didn't work.
I'm aware of two other developers who've had similar problems with this individual and at the moment I'm pursuing his file download host to have my file removed, if that doesn't work I'll mention to paypal he's effectively using my material to raise money for his site.

Slund
February 13th, 2009, 20:16
Actually I signed up and was a bit surprised to see two aircraft that I had developed available in the download section? They had been converted for use in FSX which was a bit disapointing as I am currently working on a proper FSX native version of one of them.

EgoR64
February 14th, 2009, 13:45

Hi Slund,

Your Bell 412 and Bambi Bucket would make for a Very Fun Fire Mission....

Many Cheers !! :friday:

euroastar350
February 14th, 2009, 14:46
Shawn,

I do have the Bell 205, 210, 212 and 214 (214 not yet available)with fire equipment, although they are not FSX native.

Slund
February 14th, 2009, 15:05

Hi Slund,

Your Bell 412 and Bambi Bucket would make for a Very Fun Fire Mission....

Many Cheers !! :friday:

I wish I had the skill to build the 412 but alas, I'll I did was add the bucket to Jordan Moore's open source design. I haven't tried to many fs9 aircraft in FSX but so far I have only one that doesn't cream my framerates. I tried the Orion last night and the outside view was great but from the VC my fps bounced all over the place. I'm thinking about buying the Captainsim C-130 and adding a MAFS system to it, any recommendations on other true FSX native aircraft? Euroastar, I'll certainly get around to loading your helicopters up and giving them a try. I might just have to reload fs9 to get my firefighting fix...

EgoR64
February 18th, 2009, 17:03

Hi Slund,

Created a Little Very Lame Dummy Kinda Looks like a Bucket !! LOL !! :friday:

Anyways put the Sling Loader on the default Bell - Me and Smokey Bear where havin some fun pickin her up and flyin around, your Bambi bucket would be perfect.

Cool thing about the Sling is all the push and pull factors come into play when flying, heli can get very unpredictable............

Just need to Figure out how to filler er up with Water, Could use in a Mission - Would be Major Fun !!

Cheers !!

Railrunner130
February 19th, 2009, 13:17
The Earackson Skycrane at hovercontrol.com is neat for fire fighting as well.

Slund
February 19th, 2009, 19:00
Hey, that looks great. I'd be happy to compile the bucket by itself but I don't have any idea how to go about attaching it as a sling load. I'll make a trade with ya, one bambi bucket for a sling load file?

Hi Slund,

Created a Little Very Lame Dummy Kinda Looks like a Bucket !! LOL !! :friday:

Anyways put the Sling Loader on the default Bell - Me and Smokey Bear where havin some fun pickin her up and flyin around, your Bambi bucket would be perfect.

Cool thing about the Sling is all the push and pull factors come into play when flying, heli can get very unpredictable............

Just need to Figure out how to filler er up with Water, Could use in a Mission - Would be Major Fun !!

Cheers !!

EgoR64
February 20th, 2009, 14:38

Hi Slund,

You got it Vey easy it is in the SDK -> This is what I did to get the sling to work on the Bell, I'm no expert, Part time arm chair pilot.

The Bell 206 aircraft.cfg file, made a backup and added these lines to it ->
You can play around with these settings to suite your needs, I increased the Speed at Pickup, to make it easier to grab teh Bucket.

[Sling.0]
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Feet from datum
max_stretch = 2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate load
damping_ratio = 0.75 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.
rated_load = 2000 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds
ultimate_load = 6000 //Breaking force in pounds
tolerance_angle=70 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit
auto_pickup_range = 20 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickup
auto_pickup_max_speed = 20.5 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup

------------------------------------

# Create your Bucket MDL file -
# Goto to Misc Diretory in SimObjects
# Make a Copy of the Bucket Directory to say bambibucket
# in this Directory look in the model Directory and change to your mdl File
in the model.cfg file -> This will call the you mdl file
[models]
normal=bambibucket
# in your bambibucket dir you will have sim.cfg her is mine for bbucket
[fltsim.0]
title=BBucket Drop
model=
texture=
[Geometry]
//Reference size (in feet) used in moment of inertia estimations.
Length = 5
Width = 5
Height = 5
[General]
category=SimpleObject
[Mass Properties]
//Reference weight, in pounds
Empty Weight = 300
[contact_points]
static_cg_height = .5 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground
static_compression = 1.0 //Static compression of ground reaction spring
damping_ratio = 0.8 //Damping ratio of ground reaction
//destroy_on_impact_threshold = 20 //Velocty (feet/sec) above which the object will destroy on impact
[stability coefficients]
//longitudinal, lateral, vertical
ground translational damping = -4.0, -4.0, -0.2
ground rotational damping = -200.0, -200.0, -200.0
ground rotational stability = -150.0, -60.0, -0.0
air translational damping = -0.4, -0.4, -0.1
air rotational damping = -150.0, -150.0, -100.0
air rotational stability = -75.0, -40.0, -0.0
[effects] //Visual effects spawned upon ground impact
ImpactLand = fx_cargoImpactLand
ImpactWater = fx_waterSplashSml
ImpactDestroyLand = fx_cargoDestroyLandWood
ImpactDestroyWater = fx_cargoDestroyWaterWood
[HoistPoint]
position = 0, 2.0, 5.0 ;(feet) Longitudinal,lateral,vertical position in which the sling/hoist can connect

---------------------------------------------------------
You can play with other Directories for Sound and if you want your bucket to have a Panel !! LOL !!

-------------

You can at this point create a flight file or use the quick keys to get the sling. With a Flight File you can Auto Activate the Sling for Missions and Such ->

This was added to one of me flight files for the bell ->

[Sling.0.0]
Object=
CableLength=45 //45 feet long
HoistSwitch=0

:ernae:

EgoR64
February 20th, 2009, 15:59
:friday:

Well i not gettin any water in it, so I put some p3's in there made a BabeBucket !! LOL !!

they wanted to go faster then the Sling Broke !! :help:

Good thing the Babebucket is Soft and floats !!

Slund
February 21st, 2009, 07:43
Thanks EgoR64, when I get a chance I'll put a full package together and make it available on my website. I've never read up on the Slingload SDK but from your description it looks like it's not to difficult. I like the Babebucket, if only that were a reality...

limjack
February 21st, 2009, 07:49
LOL....drop babebucket of chicks over my house please.:friday:

Capt.Vaughn
February 22nd, 2009, 12:05
Can anyone give me a link or tell me where I can get a fire retardent effect to add to a plane?Ive looked everywhere but cant find one...

EgoR64
February 22nd, 2009, 16:30

Hi Capt. Vaughn,

Using the same techniques above you can create you own,

# Goto Misc Directory in Simobjects in you fsx main Folder ->
# Copy the WaterDrop Directory - rename to FireRetardant ->
# Open just the sim.cfg file make look like this ->
sim.cfg ->
[fltsim.0]
title=FireRetardant
ui_type="Fire Retardant"

[General]
category = Liquid
editable=0
effect=fx_fire_retardant // This is an Effect in you Effect File

----------------------------------------------------------
# Make sure you have the fx_fire_retardant in you effect folder
# That pretty much it you set now..
# you can use in Mission as an AttachDroppablePayloadAction ->

I just used the Bell as an Example below -> :friday:

edit -> Sorry I got it from slunds Bambibucket download at simviation the Effect that is ->

http://www.simviation.com/fsxhelicopters3.htm

EgoR64
February 22nd, 2009, 16:34
Hmm May have use for babebucket after all ->

Very Silly indeed !! LOL !! :Banane15:

limjack - you got it !! LOL !!

Capt.Vaughn
February 22nd, 2009, 17:04
Ok great thanks! :woot:

Capt.Vaughn
February 24th, 2009, 15:26
One other thing,How is the best way I can put a fire somewhere so I can put it out?