PDA

View Full Version : Old NAS Millington crossover bridge

gray eagle
August 29th, 2017, 11:12
Some of you that were stationed here in Millington for your "A" school assignments (Northside) will remember the old crossover walkway that crossed over Navy Road from the North Side to Southside.
I remember using it to cross from Southside to Northside to take my CPO exam (Annual 1st class meeting :biggrin-new:). The "A" school students would march in formation from
school north side to the chow hall southside or from school to barracks south side.

It will be coming down sometime next month (Sept). I took pics this AM - (29 Aug 17).

The city now owns the airport and it sounds like the name (Millington Muni) was quietly changed to Memphis-Millington Airport;
But the Memphis International Airport is suing them for the name change since they claim it is too similar to theirs.
The signs in the pictures still show NAS Muni on them.

FAA isn't accepting the name change until the legal side is smoothed out.

Old NAS was to the right. The "Viggie on a stick" is up a little on left.
https://s26.postimg.org/5saw707pl/Bridge.jpg

Looking west on Navy road -
https://s26.postimg.org/8rhsu4h6x/Bridge_1.jpg

Viggie on a stick.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/16483779461_8de51356b3_b.jpg

PhantomTweak
August 29th, 2017, 11:47
I did all my schooling on Southside. Northside was for horseback riding, swimming in Navy Lake, movies, and so on.
My first time there, I spent a lot of time over on Northside with my two Wave girlfriends. A memory that really stuck, at least I can print here, was riding horses with my two Waves along the side of the runway, when a Thunderstorm hit. There was lightning striking the lengths of huge anchor chains they had for arresting gear. Incredible light show, although just a bit loud. It was so warm, the rain was like a warm shower. Didn't bother me, but the horses, not to mention Leslie and Beth, the two Waves, wanted to get indoors asap. Rain did amazing things to Leslie and Beth's t-shirts, though. :encouragement:
Eventually, Leslie, Beth, and I moved out to the Mud Flats. Nice to have a private little love nest just for us...
Great memories!

I had the only pink motorcycle on base. Started out red, but the sun faded it a bit. Used to ride that thing all over the entire area of Millington. Tons of little back roads to enjoy. Except one ride I took at sunset. Was really zooming along some little back road when I caught a june-bug just under my eye. I had one heck of a shiner for a while. No one believe it was a bug did it to me. Almost knocked me off the bike, too. Scary what one little june-bug can do at 60 mph! I had to leave the bike, and a lot of my other stuff, when I got my orders after AFTA. They gave me about 5 hours, after the graduation ceremony, to get checked off base, pack my trash, and gt to the airport. NOT easy!

Second time I was there, for AVI-C7, the cost of living was so low, that my BAQ and VHA covered my rent, utilities, and food. I wanted to stay there as an instructor after school, but the Monitor was a guy from my shop in Yuma. Thought I would be glad to get back to Yuma. He couldn't have been more wrong. I called him up and gave him a earful when I got my orders, I can tell you... :banghead:

Sorry. The memories came flooding back.
Pat☺

SSI01
August 29th, 2017, 16:25
In the second photo - just barely discernible on the right, quite a ways back in the photo - am I detecting a Grumman F11F-1F in a Blue Angels paint job? Also looks like it may be mounted on some sort of plinth.

Willy
August 29th, 2017, 17:04
I stop by the base there every time I make a trip to Memphis which is at least every other month.

PRB
August 29th, 2017, 17:42
I was there when they brought that A-5 in. Watched them hoist it atop the three sticks. Hate it when they put planes on sticks. Undignified end to a great plane.

Willy
August 29th, 2017, 18:01
The good point of putting them on sticks, is that it makes it harder for vandals to reach them.

There's an A-4 on a stick up US 51 from Millington in downtown Covington.

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 06:55
I was there when they brought that A-5 in. Watched them hoist it atop the three sticks. Hate it when they put planes on sticks. Undignified end to a great plane.

RA-5C Vigilante, BuNo 156608, from Reconnaissance Attack Squadron 7 (RVAH-7) during what may have been its final flight in 1979.
Now on a stick pictured above ^ at Millington Navy Base.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/RA-5C_Vigilante_RVAH-7_1979.jpg/770px-RA-5C_Vigilante_RVAH-7_1979.jpg

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 07:01
In the second photo - just barely discernible on the right, quite a ways back in the photo - am I detecting a Grumman F11F-1F in a Blue Angels paint job? Also looks like it may be mounted on some sort of plinth.

Yup, and it is painted in the official blue angles blue paint. It is across the street from the main gate.
http://www.tinfeathers.com/Museum/Airports/NTC_Millington/NAS_Memphis_997.jpg

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 07:05
The good point of putting them on sticks, is that it makes it harder for vandals to reach them.

There's an A-4 on a stick up US 51 from Millington in downtown Covington.

Yup, seen it, just up the road (HWY 51 N) from me.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Patriot_Park_Covington_TN_A-4_Skyhawk_04.jpg

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 08:22

Well... now I know what a plinth is and how to pronounce it. :biggrin-new:

Willy
August 30th, 2017, 09:06
Yup, seen it, just up the road (HWY 51 N) from me.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Patriot_Park_Covington_TN_A-4_Skyhawk_04.jpg

I'm about a 30 minute drive east of Dyersburg. I tend to go down 51 when making trips to Memphis as it's not as boring as taking I-40 out of Jackson.

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 09:19
I'm about a 30 minute drive east of Dyersburg. I tend to go down 51 when making trips to Memphis as it's not as boring as taking I-40 out of Jackson.

Yup, the truckers refer to driving down Hwy51 as driving thru the woods. :adoration:

PRB
August 30th, 2017, 09:57
The good point of putting them on sticks, is that it makes it harder for vandals to reach them...

I suppose. Arrest the little hoodlums! NAS Jacksonville has a whole bunch of old planes sitting on the ground. P-3, P-2, TBM, other jets. Very cool.

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 10:47
I suppose. Arrest the little hoodlums! NAS Jacksonville has a whole bunch of old planes sitting on the ground. P-3, P-2, TBM, other jets. Very cool.

I was stationed at Jax too and have seen them there gate guards. Very Impressive. They switch out some of the aircraft out once in awhile and feature a squadron aircraft of the month.

https://ultimatecampgrounds.com/~ultimat2/wx2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=457:nas-jacksonville-air-display-park-2009&catid=65:here-and-there&Itemid=595

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-mar-suburban-parks-nas-jacksonville-heritage-park

(https://wxtoad.com/index.php/our-travels/here-and-there/nas-jax-air-display-park)

Navy Chief
August 30th, 2017, 11:12
Thanks for the pictures! I definitely remember crossing that bridge to go to AME (A) School on the other side. I don't think the bridge had a cage over it at the time I went through training, which would have been the winter of 1972.

The barracks I stayed in had lockers that separated us into "cubicles". No walls. Community showers of course. Seems like I remember tiled walls? Older barracks. Not wood framing, I don't think. Brick, perhaps.

The AT/AQ guys stayed in brand new barracks of course. Their training was much longer. NC

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 11:30
Thanks for the pictures! I definitely remember crossing that bridge to go to AME (A) School on the other side. I don't think the bridge had a cage over it at the time I went through training, which would have been the winter of 1972.

The barracks I stayed in had lockers that separated us into "cubicles". No walls. Community showers of course. Seems like I remember tiled walls? Older barracks. Not wood framing, I don't think. Brick, perhaps.

The AT/AQ guys stayed in brand new barracks of course. Their training was much longer. NC

Hey Pete,

Didn't you go to this school? Maybe in this time frame?

http://www.peetz.us/nattcamea.htm

PhantomTweak
August 30th, 2017, 12:06
When I first arrived, in the fall of '78, I lived in those same wooden barracks as you did, NC. Cubicles and all. I thought they were wood, anyway. At least mostly.
I found out later that when I was in them they had already been condemned, and were just waiting for destruction. So naturally, that's where they put the Marines not assigned to a school already. :very_drunk:

I heard, although I didn't know about it first-hand, that some low level enlisted man "got" the Admiral's (Base CO) daughter in one of those old wooden barracks. Apparently that "hastened" the scheduled destruction of them.

During my initial testing, on arrival, they decided I was too smart to go to school for helicopter mechanic, which is what I enlisted for. Instead, they assigned me to AE A school. After going through Aviation Fundamentals (AFUNP) and Basic Electricity and Electronics (BE&E or Bubble E) in less than 1/2 day each, vice the 3 days for AFUNP and a week for BE&E, they sent me to AV-A school instead. I just kept quiet and shook my head up and down alot when they talked about cancelling one school and sending me to another. I had no clue what was going on, but it sounded to me like a good deal, so I agreed all the time. If they had told me I was going to fire fighter school, I would have agreed.
Anyway, once I started AV-A, they moved me to the relatively new barracks, BKS 411, which was right next to the chow hall. Fine with me! Long walk to school, but very short walk to chow. Wonderful set-up, IMO.
Good times for an 18 year old Marine fresh out of boot camp :encouragement:
Pat☺

Victory103
August 30th, 2017, 13:21
Agree, thanks for the memories. I do remember the Vigi while in A School, but not much else besides the Scooters of -124. I don't remember the Tomcat being at the NAS Jax area, probably well after I moved to Pcola for shore duty and after the 06' Sunset.

gray eagle
August 30th, 2017, 14:23
Agree, thanks for the memories. I do remember the Vigi while in A School, but not much else besides the Scooters of -124. I don't remember the Tomcat being at the NAS Jax area, probably well after I moved to Pcola for shore duty and after the 06' Sunset.

You are welcome. The younger generation of Navy folks will not remember the old schools that were here - most likely before they were born :biggrin-new:

And any of the last of the Mohicans that went to A schools here are most likely retired now. If any left, they are senior enlisted or CWO/LDO's

llanning08
August 30th, 2017, 15:45
I arrived at Memphis NAS by C-118 in early September 1965. Did my Basic Training in 2-story standard WWII wooden barracks (with coal heat and a real Fire Watch). There were eight of those standard barracks located just south of the Base Ops complex. Mess hall was east across the parade field (where we did PT and drilled often with our M-1s rifles). As I recall at the time, most buildings Northside were WWII wood buildings, including the Recreation Center (all movies were a dime!). Our HQ was located north of the barracks row near the flight line. Most training was conducted Northside, with a few classes Southside (I don't recall the crossover bridge, we marched right across Highway 51 through the main gates.

After completing Basic 29 OCT 65, we went to cement block barracks Southside, nearer the A school classrooms. These barracks were 2-story open bay with racks and lockers dividing up the area into eight man areas. Dayroom on one end, MAA quarters at the other end. They were only a short march to the mess hall. The march to school was a fair bit longer to the south to a rather large newer building classroom complex where the electronics and AP/AM training was conducted. For some odd reason, our radar classes were in a separate one floor WWII wood building. From November to June I went to AXA school (Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Tech, AX later to become AW).

Graduated in June 1965 and returned to my squadron, VP-934 at Willow Grove NAS. After more training at RESASWTAC-EAST, I became a qualified P2V Neptune aircrewman as a Jezebel/Julie & MAD operator.

Attached is a picture of my flight station and one of the Neptunes in which I flew.

Navy Chief
September 8th, 2017, 13:35
Hey Pete,

Didn't you go to this school? Maybe in this time frame?

http://www.peetz.us/nattcamea.htm

I went through the school the winter of '72. The barracks I stayed in were old, but not the wooden ones. I heard the enlisted club burned down some years later? That was a cold winter; I do recall that.

sixstrings5859
September 10th, 2017, 08:52
I went to Memphis NAS to become a AQ . Was there for several months and cut my stay short as i attempted suicide due to illness . Wish now i could of had stayed in the Navy to this day. Suffer with mental illness to this day though. Sad story but brings back old feelings seeing this thread. Regards,Scott

PhantomTweak
September 10th, 2017, 11:20
I went to Memphis NAS to become a AQ
That's not what I went to Millington to become, originally, but after all the schools, I wound up with an MOS that would have given me an AQ rate, if I had been Navy. BE&E, AVA, and AFTA. I only wish AFTA had been self-paced like the rest. I zipped through the other two way ahead of the "standard". Got promoted out of every school I attened too. Nice to arrive a PFC and leave a CPL, especially since an E-4 (CPL in the Corps) was just a short step below a deity in Millington. I actually got to be a CPL for a whole 5 hours there. After our graduation ceremony from AFTA, I put on my shirt with CPL stripes. Proud as a peacock. Got told to get started checking off-base NOW, since my flight to El Toro left at 1700. I had to abandon my motorcycle, computer, RC tank (I had SO much fun with that thing!), and some other stuff I couldn't carry on my back, but I made it!
Actually met Andy Griffith in the airport Memphis. He may have been working on a script, or something, but he was pretty unfriendly and stand-offish. Never watched another show or movie with him again.
Heck of a day. Graduate school, get a promotion, check off base totally and catch a plane out, all in a few hours. I slept like a rock on the way to El Toro, let me say!

Great memories :D Have fun all!
Pat☺

PRB
September 10th, 2017, 14:34
Some pics I took while I was there learning the AQ trade, 1980-1982

There was a "little boneyard" on North Side, with lots of interesting old planes. Don't touch em!
http://www.prbdatasystems.com/pics/memphis1.jpg

We had an airshow at some point. Blue Angels showed up with the little Douglas speed birds. And the old "salt and pepper" uniforms! Glad we lost those before I actually had to wear them.
http://www.prbdatasystems.com/pics/memphis2.jpg

The A-5 in front of the chow hall, not long after they hoisted it up on those sticks...
http://www.prbdatasystems.com/pics/memphis3.jpg

gray eagle
September 10th, 2017, 15:08
Some pics I took while I was there learning the AQ trade, 1980-1982
I got there in '81 and know the building you went to school at - they tore it down when Bupers came there. I think the Tweets/AQ's/AE's went to same basic common core training then after that the "Finger Phase" set in
where the AQ's/AT's/Ax'es branched out into their speciality training.

There was a "little boneyard" on North Side, with lots of interesting old planes. Don't touch em!

I vaguely remember those birds.
http://www.prbdatasystems.com/pics/memphis1.jpg

We had an airshow at some point. Blue Angels showed up with the little Douglas speed birds. And the old "salt and pepper" uniforms! Glad we lost those before I actually had to wear them.

Actually, I did were them. I was on the FID before coming to Millington and those uniforms needed more storage room then we were given. My combo hat almost looked like a taco
having been crammed in my locker. The Goat locker (CPO Berthing) was more accommodating for that style uniform. Was glad to go back to crackerjacks. A lot of continuity was lost in making
the crackerjacks and neckerchief; the materials used were different the what I was issued back in '63 and the the workmanship was not as good - IMO. Also, Dixie cap and the neckerchief were of different
materials then what I originally had before.
http://www.prbdatasystems.com/pics/memphis2.jpg