PDA

View Full Version : A CFS2 forum member in harm's way...

Rami
August 28th, 2017, 10:15
Hey guys,

I just wanted to keep you guys in the loop...Highpockets continues to check in on Facebook to inform his friends about what's going on in Texas. He lives in Kingwood, (this is not confidential, he has his location in his SOH profile when he posts) and although he is okay for the moment, what's going on there is truly devastating.

I can't speak for other SOH members who live in that area, but I've been very concerned for his safety, as well as other people he knows who are in harm's way down there.

I'm not promoting anything, but if you can spare a few bucks to donate to a reputable charity organization, please do. They're going to need it, big time. I'm also discussing with my church about putting together care packages to send down, if we can arrange it though proper channels.

sixstrings5859
August 28th, 2017, 10:28
I live in Sulphur, La. near Lake Charles and here in SW Louisiana we are getting a lot of rain and flooding but not as bad yet as Houston. Rains then stops for a little while so there is some drain off. Just about everything is closed around here. We live on some high ground at our house so i hope for the best. My heart goes out to those in Texas that got the brunt of the storm.

Regards, Scott

joe bob
August 29th, 2017, 02:12
From experience in NC, it is better to donate cash rather than care packages and so forth.

Donated goods require volunteers to sort and distribute items, whereas money can be used to buy specific items in bulk to meet a specific need, which is delivered where it is needed.

One of the most helpful things I saw church groups do was cleanup in the aftermath.

I was very impressed seeing folks doing thankless things like cleaning up refrigerators and freezers that had been sitting for weeks without power. Not a task for weaklings!

Such jobs in the aftermath were devoid of glamor which set those people apart in my estimation.

Rami
August 29th, 2017, 02:19
One of the most helpful things I saw church groups do was cleanup in the aftermath.

I was very impressed seeing folks doing thankless things like cleaning up refrigerators and freezers that had been sitting for weeks without power. Not a task for weaklings!

Such jobs in the aftermath were devoid of glamor which set those people apart in my estimation.

Joe bob,

I did that after Hurricane Sandy; my church went down to Rockaway Beach, NY for two weeks, doing a lot of what you just described. Even in that crisis, it was sad to see some people take advantage of the situation, but on the whole, it was a meaningful experience.

joe bob
August 29th, 2017, 02:58
Yes, Natural disasters can teach you a lot about life and human nature.

Rami
September 9th, 2017, 02:14
Good morning,

Highpockets is doing well and continues to participate in recovery efforts. :applause:

highpockets
September 11th, 2017, 06:08
Rami and all.
Thanks for your support in any way. I am amazed at the way ordinary people are responding to the cleanup and material help.
Florida is now going to be needing the same commitment and I know we will see that. :applause:
I am PROUD to be an AMERICAN ! :US-flag: